Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I still want to see proof that most of Sprints LTE traffic is on b41. Personally I don't believe it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Depends on how they measure it. If it is in terms of GBs on b41, then yes I can see it. Virtually every user in NYC is on b41 when outside and the speeds are tremendous. Most apartments would still also have b41 by windows etc. Most major cities are, so in terms of throughput, I could see it.

• Like 3

Adding more carriers on B41 is the way to go before densification. Going from 2 carriers to 3 carriers is the equivalent of adding 50% more sites to the area over night. Going 2 carriers to 6 is like adding 3x the sites to the area. As long as the distance between towers is under 8 miles (4 miles from each tower) most people even indoors will be on B41 if the capacity (more carriers) is there. 

Not true with me. I am 3 miles from a Band 41 8T8R site and I can not lock onto the Band 41.  I have a clear line of sight to the cell site.  Can actually see the cell site with binoculars. I am still using a Galaxy S5, so no aggregation. I can pick up either of the two carriers as I get closer to the cell site.   Are you trying to say that when there are 3 carriers aggregated and I have a newer phone, I will probably get band 41 at my home?

• Like 1

Not true with me. I am 3 miles from a Band 41 8T8R site and I can not lock onto the Band 41. I have a clear line of sight to the cell site. Can actually see the cell site with binoculars. I am still using a Galaxy S5, so no aggregation. I can pick up either of the two carriers as I get closer to the cell site. Are you trying to say that when there are 3 carriers aggregated and I have a newer phone, I will probably get band 41 at my home?

Not likely.

I actually got worse B41 reception when I switched from the Galaxy S5 to the Nexus 5x.

Not true with me. I am 3 miles from a Band 41 8T8R site and I can not lock onto the Band 41.  I have a clear line of sight to the cell site.  Can actually see the cell site with binoculars. I am still using a Galaxy S5, so no aggregation. I can pick up either of the two carriers as I get closer to the cell site.   Are you trying to say that when there are 3 carriers aggregated and I have a newer phone, I will probably get band 41 at my home?

Capacity is a limiting factor in how far sprint allows the signal to go. Some people don't like that reason but tough. I have seen multiple sites go 8+ miles on B41 when holding onto signal down to -130 still be good enough to stream video. And I have no issues in getting B41 inside many different hotels and other buildings. That is not to say I have not seen buildings kill the signal just that it will go through most walls. Different phones will be react differently even the same brand(two different GS5).

Not likely.

I actually got worse B41 reception when I switched from the Galaxy S5 to the Nexus 5x.

I assume most phone mfgs assume the network will carry. From my experience b41 on Sprint doesn't carry at all - especially in a variety of topography. Where as in my experience vzw with aws3 carries very far and powerfully. Only bad thing is vzw is so damn expensive ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still want to see proof that most of Sprints LTE traffic is on b41. Personally I don't believe it.

If we take a guess and assume that most of Sprint's customers live in cities that it's not hard to imagine. I travel from Boston to NYC several times a year along I-95 and I-84 and in pretty much every large city I connect to Band 41 even on the highway in some suburbs I connect to it.

• Like 2

Capacity is a limiting factor in how far sprint allows the signal to go. Some people don't like that reason but tough. I have seen multiple sites go 8+ miles on B41 when holding onto signal down to -130 still be good enough to stream video. And I have no issues in getting B41 inside many different hotels and other buildings. That is not to say I have not seen buildings kill the signal just that it will go through most walls. Different phones will be react differently even the same brand(two different GS5).

I am never able to see band 41 at -130.  As the signal deteriorates to about -115, I get switched by the network to band 25 or band 26.  Happens most every place.

• Like 1

I'm on B41 maybe 5-10% of the time. The places I frequent have B41, but I fail to get any of it indoors.

Hopefully Sprint will work with manufacturers to get Band 41 High Power UE handsets. It'll be interesting to see how Band 41 works at that point.

• Like 1

I am never able to see band 41 at -130.  As the signal deteriorates to about -115, I get switched by the network to band 25 or band 26.  Happens most every place.

I have been kicked off of B25 at -95 before due to capacity. I will watch for weak signal when I am in your area next time. That way I will be able to give you an area where I can keep weak signal for you to test. Every time I go into that market I find 2 or 3 new B41 sites it is neat to see.

In my SCP logs I have 15 B41 sites where the strongest signal is -120 or worse.

I have held B41 down to -135 many times before dropping straight to Verizon 1x (skipping over B25 and EVDO) (we don't have 800mhz in Seattle) and this is on an iPhone (generally not one of the best RF performers). Maybe it's the way the network is configured in your market...

I often see Clear B41 at -122 or so, but the service doesn't actually work, so pointing out that it holds on that long doesn't actually mean anything.

What I don't understand is why not add an 8T8R to Clear sites that already support dual carrier rather than ripping and replacing?  It would instantly give them the ability to run 5 carriers from a given site.  To the extent the Clear gear doesn't cover as well, push people outdoors onto Clear and those with lower signal onto the 8T8R.

- Trip

• Like 1

I often see Clear B41 at -122 or so, but the service doesn't actually work, so pointing out that it holds on that long doesn't actually mean anything.

What I don't understand is why not add an 8T8R to Clear sites that already support dual carrier rather than ripping and replacing? It would instantly give them the ability to run 5 carriers from a given site. To the extent the Clear gear doesn't cover as well, push people outdoors onto Clear and those with lower signal onto the 8T8R.

- Trip

Clear sites are often negotiated at bargain pricing for a specific lease of a specific number of equipment. Doing such a thing would trigger lease renegotiation which is definitely no Bueno. Notice what few clearwire conversion permits they submitted (before they stopped) almost always is a 1 for 1 replace entry.

Furthermore sprint 2.5 equipment supports 6 individual b41 carriers by themselves so old clear equipment is redundant though it's not to say the Samsung dual make ones are. Those can themselves do up to 4 b41 carriers as well all split sectors of course. (4T8R - 2T4R). They just don't have the benefits of the 8t8r antennas which is actually a big performance bump.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I'm seeing odd behavior on Cspire LTE roaming...it'll hold data for a while, then it says I have no signal, then 1x comes back...and have to cycle airplane to get LTE roaming back.

I'm testing a piece of network equipment and decided to try phone hotspot---> ac Wi-Fi repeater--->lan to router that I'm testing---> lan to ps4. I'm a day away from bill cycle and at 18 of my 32 gb...But saw this behavior and thought maybe someone knows if this is normal to see while LTE roaming.

What I don't understand is why not add an 8T8R to Clear sites that already support dual carrier rather than ripping and replacing? It would instantly give them the ability to run 5 carriers from a given site. To the extent the Clear gear doesn't cover as well, push people outdoors onto Clear and those with lower signal onto the 8T8R.

- Trip

Does 8T8R max out at 3 carriers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Will believe this when I see it. In the markets I frequent, T-Mobile service is still very uncompetitive against the other 3 big players, including Sprint.

This was posted in another thread but I'll basically reiterate what I stated in that thread which is that although T-Mobile has the square milage, they're far from having the density to be considered competitive. Over on Reddit, people have stated time and time again that they still can't hold a signal on these rural areas. They're spending money on bragging rights which is an extremely risky bet that so far hasn't really paid off. Even if they come within a negligible amount of coverage with VZW, they still won't have the Band 2, 5, 4, and 13 LTE capacity of VZW nor will they have the dense small cell network in these areas.

If they really want to benefit their customers they should densify within their existing footprint before they think about getting to VZW's level of broad coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This was posted in another thread but I'll basically reiterate what I stated in that thread which is that although T-Mobile has the square milage, they're far from having the density to be considered competitive. Over on Reddit, people have stated time and time again that they still can't hold a signal on these rural areas. They're spending money on bragging rights which is an extremely risky bet that so far hasn't really paid off. Even if they come within a negligible amount of coverage with VZW, they still won't have the Band 2, 5, 4, and 13 LTE capacity of VZW nor will they have the dense small cell network in these areas.

If they really want to benefit their customers they should densify within their existing footprint before they think about getting to VZW's level of broad coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Here's the thing - regular people (not us) don't really know these things. They see a map as big as Verizon's on T-Mobile's website and lower prices and they want to switch. Regular people won't realize the quality difference, especially after things like the opensignal study. As more people switch to T-Mobile and become dissatisfied, their image will slowly deteriorate and they'll probably start porting negative with the other carriers. That's my prediction.

• Like 4

Here's the thing - regular people (not us) don't really know these things. They see a map as big as Verizon's on T-Mobile's website and lower prices and they want to switch. Regular people won't realize the quality difference, especially after things like the opensignal study. As more people switch to T-Mobile and become dissatisfied, their image will slowly deteriorate and they'll probably start porting negative with the other carriers. That's my prediction.

Exactly.  Regular people just see the big map and lower prices.

If sprint just get coverage 90 percent to were verizon is , then post add millionsand new customers a quarter but it takes money that soft bank does not want to help sprint out more.