Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I guess you didn't see the breed on the market and Alibaba last week

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't give a shit about Alibaba TBH. If that's $7.9 billion that suddenly went into Sprint CapEx the next two years, I'm sure we'd see exponential improvement out of it. 

• Like 3

I honestly don't give a shit about Alibaba TBH. If that's $7.9 billion that suddenly went into Sprint CapEx the next two years, I'm sure we'd see exponential improvement out of it.

That's what may be happening:

TOKYO—SoftBank Group Corp. of Japan said Tuesday it would sell at least $7.9 billion worth of its shares in Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. to pare down its debt as it struggles to integrate and revive Sprint Corp., the U.S. wireless company it acquired three years ago.

Via https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/5F3ED58A-27ED-11E6-A9CE-F1651F7B43AE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So do you put 8billion towards sprints debt?

Or towards the network and try to get this densifying done faster?

Or invest in 600 spectrum?

Or try to buy one of these little guys?

Will be very interesting to see what son has in mind

Sprint is on track to save 1-3 billion in cost cutting and possibly get 8 bil from Dad, that's gotta make sprint stock go up with a 11bil swing... Or is that money to start making payments due soon?

Sprint is on track to save 1-3 billion in cost cutting and possibly get 8 bil from Dad, that's gotta make sprint stock go up with a 11bil swing... Or is that money to start making payments due soon?

I would hope they set aside as little as possible for debt and improve the network NOW so they can pick up more customers, increase revenues and profits and maybe have less problems with money to pay debt in the future.

• Like 1

SoftBank's covenants with Japanese banks preclude it from giving Sprint more money directly. (Source: http://www.wsj.com/articles/doubts-grow-about-whether-softbank-can-save-sprint-1439346616

However, it is able to set up and fund these 3rd party entities like Mobile Lease Co and Network Lease Co.

Isn't the 600 MHz Auction already underway?: https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/1000

Also see this page for background: https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initiatives/incentive-auctions

It would be very naive to expect Softbank to directly invest 8B in Sprint. Think more along the lines of 1-2B in additional credit/borrowing facilities for Sprint's small cell deployment. Or heck, maybe it's a couple billion to fund the undercover bidder spot SoftBank could have in the 600mhz auction.

Whatever it is, SoftBank's financial health is more important than just helping Sprint.

• Like 2

Man that is a tough question. I dont think its a problem with the network densification project so throwing more money into it which is already financed seems silly.

It may be silly but i would love to see softbank use that money to buy 600 mhz spectrum since sprints low band profile absolutely blows. If not i would rather see softbank use the funds to pay off sprints immediate bond debt that is due within the next 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The timing is suspicious...the softbank transaction was announced at same time 600 mhz auction gets underway.

• Like 2

SoftBank's covenants with Japanese banks preclude it from giving Sprint more money directly. (Source: http://www.wsj.com/articles/doubts-grow-about-whether-softbank-can-save-sprint-1439346616)

However, it is able to set up and fund these 3rd party entities like Mobile Lease Co and Network Lease Co.

Isn't the 600 MHz Auction already underway?: https://auctiondata.fcc.gov/public/projects/1000

Also see this page for background: https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initiatives/incentive-auctions

I didn't know SoftBank couldn't directly give sprint cash.

However, as you stated they have other companies.

I am not sure but don't they have one that's dealing with the 600?

I was under the impression they were creating some company to buy/trade/lease spectrum?

• Like 1

has there been anymore news on all the spectrum swaps? like as far as timing goes as to when they will be implemented? looking forward to see what kind of improvements a 10x10 B25 will have over the 2 5x5 B25 carriers we currently have.

Man that is a tough question. I dont think its a problem with the network densification project so throwing more money into it which is already financed seems silly.

It may be silly but i would love to see softbank use that money to buy 600 mhz spectrum since sprints low band profile absolutely blows. If not i would rather see softbank use the funds to pay off sprints immediate bond debt that is due within the next 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I am not sure how any billing for Eq and things go. That said my thought of putting money into the densification program would allow for potential ovt, getting Eq on order and hopefully deliverd to locations so there are no delays on sprints side. ..... (Maybe payoff a few towns to get these damn permits passed very quickly !)

Any small wireless companies to buy usable spectrum from? Or buy the company period??? If sprint/Tmo are worth 20-30bil each someone might be out for a bil or so.

Just thinking

Looks like John Saw (CTO) and Gunther Ottendorfer (COO, Technology) are making an appearance at the 5G Demonstration at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California this coming Friday: Link

Looks like John Saw (CTO) and Gunther Ottendorfer (COO, Technology) are making an appearance at the 5G Demonstration at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California this coming Friday: Link

Very interested to see what Sprint's plans for 5G roll out is

• Like 1

Very interested to see what Sprint's plans for 5G roll out is

I am too! Hopefully the iPhone 7 has 3xCA support. It would be a real let down if it doesn't.

I imagine it would have it though. iPhone SE as Triband. iPhone 6s as 2xCA. iPhone 7 as 3xCA.

I am not sure how any billing for Eq and things go. That said my thought of putting money into the densification program would allow for potential ovt, getting Eq on order and hopefully deliverd to locations so there are no delays on sprints side. ..... (Maybe payoff a few towns to get these damn permits passed very quickly !)

Any small wireless companies to buy usable spectrum from? Or buy the company period??? If sprint/Tmo are worth 20-30bil each someone might be out for a bil or so.

Just thinking

Yeah i think that sounds nice in theory but not in true practice.  No money is going to speed up slow red tape.  This was the thought for NV 1.0 and it didn't pan out since it still took longer than expected to complete NV 1.0.  I would much rather see the money spent on getting 600 MHz spectrum or pay off some immediate debt so that it gets that monkey off of Sprint's back for analysts who worry about Sprint's ability to pay their upcoming bond payments.  Sprint owes $2.3 billion in debt payments this year and the ability to pay that off as part of the $7.9 billion that Softbank collects would be great.

The densification project is going to take as long as it is currently schedule.  The problem right now in wireless industry is not enough staffing to perform all the system upgrades amongst the big carriers.  Throwing money at the problem is going to make it faster.

• Like 1

Yeah i think that sounds nice in theory but not in true practice.  No money is going to speed up slow red tape.  This was the thought for NV 1.0 and it didn't pan out since it still took longer than expected to complete NV 1.0.  I would much rather see the money spent on getting 600 MHz spectrum or pay off some immediate debt so that it gets that monkey off of Sprint's back for analysts who worry about Sprint's ability to pay their upcoming bond payments.  Sprint owes $2.3 billion in debt payments this year and the ability to pay that off as part of the $7.9 billion that Softbank collects would be great.

Lack of funds were absolutely an issue during Network Vision. A lot of the delays were directly caused by decisions they made to reduce cost.

For example, Sprint tried to coordinate high speed backhaul installation with equipment upgrades to minimize the amount of time they would be paying for the increased capacity without using it. They also avoided urban microwave usage as a stopgap even though Clearwire had the expertise to build North America's largest microwave backhaul deployment.

Yes, I'm aware they needed those savings; but they probably could have justified the cost if it had helped them avoid losing so many subscribers (and so much revenue).

The densification project is going to take as long as it is currently schedule.  The problem right now in wireless industry is not enough staffing to perform all the system upgrades amongst the big carriers.  Throwing money at the problem is going to make it faster.

The industry staffs enough people to accommodate the work that it gets. T-Mobile already has a huge L700/L1900 overlay project underway in south Louisiana for a 700 MHz license that they didn't even own before Sprint started NGN deployments, but Sprint hasn't even begun permitting yet, yet alone have they settled on all of their mini macro candidates. They're still sitting on permits that were approved in 2014-2015 for 2.5 equipment installations.

• Like 6

This is the part I don't understand about sprint. ^^ Most of our frustration comes from the ever changing deployment plan. I get it things change. However, even in our beloved forums it's still hard to watch these other carriers deploy in what seems like a blink of an eye while we wait on permits and so forth. What are they doing to make it look so easy? I recently saw an example of sprint wanting a 50ft small cell and waiting for a permit while the town bylaws already approve a smaller size so the others are getting permits at a faster rate instead of waiting for all the bs to get a special permit for what sprint wants.

To me it seems like one day the network is number 1 priority and the next it's not. Marcelo stated sprint would be 1 or 2 in 18/24 months network wise. It seems that might not come true due to more bumps and bruises from deploying again.

We will see the next 90 days as summer is here and a lot of work should get done.

This is the part I don't understand about sprint. ^^ Most of our frustration comes from the ever changing deployment plan. I get it things change. However, even in our beloved forums it's still hard to watch these other carriers deploy in what seems like a blink of an eye while we wait on permits and so forth. What are they doing to make it look so easy? I recently saw an example of sprint wanting a 50ft small cell and waiting for a permit while the town bylaws already approve a smaller size so the others are getting permits at a faster rate instead of waiting for all the bs to get a special permit for what sprint wants.

To me it seems like one day the network is number 1 priority and the next it's not. Marcelo stated sprint would be 1 or 2 in 18/24 months network wise. It seems that might not come true due to more bumps and bruises from deploying again.

We will see the next 90 days as summer is here and a lot of work should get done.

In many cases for those other carriers, the backhaul was already in place because the investment was made a while ago.

Sprint didn't make a similar investment in backhaul way back when (under Forsee, etc.)... so here we are.

One of my favorite expressions: "If we don't change direction soon, we'll wind up where we're going".

Hopefully Sprint kicks things into high gear this summer.

• Like 3

Satisfaction is as much about a decent network as it is a customer's perception of value. Sprint appears to have hit a sweet spot between network and pricing. If the discounts are sustainable until the next significant network change, we are in a good place .

• Like 3

That is good news for sprint no doubt.

I will say that it could be current customers are satisfied, and that is where it starts but most people still believe outta the 4 sprint is the worst.

But I agree it starts in the inside then moves out.

Hopefully the new marketing Dept comes up with some kick ass ideas to get people interested.

• Like 1

Going Broke Slowly: A Guide to Sprint’s $33 Billion Debt Dilemma

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-01/going-broke-slowly-a-guide-to-sprint-s-33-billion-debt-dilemma

Sprint is hit pretty hard in this piece. Of course Moffett puts in his two cents.

Going Broke Slowly: A Guide to Sprint’s $33 Billion Debt Dilemma

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-01/going-broke-slowly-a-guide-to-sprint-s-33-billion-debt-dilemma

Sprint is hit pretty hard in this piece. Of course Moffett puts in his two cents.

Moffett was quoted, but so many others Analysts and they came to the same assessment. Sprint problems of red tapes, slow network rollouts etc are due to that 34 billions debt.

The management can't come out and say we will have a very slow roll out of small cells and macros because of our debt otherwise the stock will go from that 3.58 to 50 cents. They are basically buying time for what they are planning to do next.The company is in very bad shape because of the previous administration and board.

• Like 4