Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Moffett was quoted, but so many others Analysts and they came to the same assessment. Sprint problems of red tapes, slow network rollouts etc are due to that 34 billions debt.

The management can't come out and say we will have a very slow roll out of small cells and macros because of our debt otherwise the stock will go from that 3.58 to 50 cents. They are basically buying time for what they are planning to do next.The company is in very bad shape because of the previous administration and board.

People seem to think that Sprint could buy T-Mobile, but under this debt load? I can't possibly see it. Maybe if we're talking a reverse scenario where T-Mobile is effectively the acquirer and SoftBank retains a minority share of the combined company. Even that transaction would get challenged by regulators who are in place right now. If the Republicans win, that might make things different. Legere, if I recall correctly, is Republican. 

• Like 1

What a turnaround if Dt bought sprint???

I believe the next few months will be a show all.

If sprint doesn't make significant gains in the network by say end of Sept it could be a very long winter for sprint.

Half off has been running a over a year now??? Hoping for change.

What a turnaround if Dt bought sprint???

I believe the next few months will be a show all.

If sprint doesn't make significant gains in the network by say end of Sept it could be a very long winter for sprint.

Half off has been running a over a year now??? Hoping for change.

Everyone looks at another buyout to fix Sprint's debt; will never happen. Nobody will buy a company for such large liabilities at this point, SoftBank bought Sprint and has had 0 return in the past 2 years, in fact Sprint has been costing them a fortune. On top of this, they never paid Sprint's debt, nor will anyone else.

No one is gonna buy Sprint from SoftBank. They just don't have that much value. Every company who's interested is better off waiting for a bankruptcy so they can swoop in and buy their spectrum holdings.

Sprint has to plug holes in their network that are inconsistent, lack coverage, and provide poor performance and they need to dump their branding. That's the only way they can get out of this rut and pay their bills before it's too late. A new name that performs as well if not better than the competition will lead to new customers and a chance at raising the ARPU to a level where they're posting a profit and shrinking their debt.

• Like 2

Everyone looks at another buyout to fix Sprint's debt; will never happen. Nobody will buy a company for such large liabilities at this point, SoftBank bought Sprint and has had 0 return in the past 2 years, in fact Sprint has been costing them a fortune. On top of this, they never paid Sprint's debt, nor will anyone else.

No one is gonna buy Sprint from SoftBank. They just don't have that much value. Every company who's interested is better off waiting for a bankruptcy so they can swoop in and buy their spectrum holdings.

Sprint has to plug holes in their network that are inconsistent, lack coverage, and provide poor performance and they need to dump their branding. That's the only way they can get out of this rut and pay their bills before it's too late. A new name that performs as well if not better than the competition will lead to new customers and a chance at raising the ARPU to a level where they're posting a profit and shrinking their debt.

And exactly how much did DT have to pony out for T-Mobile US before they started becoming profitable recently. Man do people look at things with blinders on to much. Stop and think about it before you go on. Because T-Mobile US only became profitable in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

And exactly how much did DT have to pony out for T-Mobile US before they started becoming profitable recently. Man do people look at things with blinders on to much. Stop and think about it before you go on. Because T-Mobile US only became profitable in the last couple of years.

DT didn't buy T-Mobile US, they bought VoiceStream which became T-Mobile US. Furthermore, it was 2001, when voice service was all that was important and broadband internet still wasn't a thing. They didn't realize what was coming. SoftBank knew what to expect.

You are referencing something that you are shortsighted in forgetting that T-Mobile had to turn themselves around to become profitable with a couple of CEO changes and such. As what Sprint is going thru to, as is blackberry and a few other companies that are restructuring the way they do business. It doesn't happen overnight and this armchair CEO stuff from some who aren't even in a business oriented way is getting tiresome. I guess next you might want to tell my big boss Fred Smith how he should run his company.

You are referencing something that you are shortsighted in forgetting that T-Mobile had to turn themselves around to become profitable with a couple of CEO changes and such. As what Sprint is going thru to, as is blackberry and a few other companies that are restructuring the way they do business. It doesn't happen overnight and this armchair CEO stuff from some who aren't even in a business oriented way is getting tiresome. I guess next you might want to tell my big boss Fred Smith how he should run his company.

No, my point is that DT didn't buy T-Mobile when everything was tough. They bought T-Mobile in a time of growth given VoiceStream was new and had just got spun off from their owners. T-Mobile hit hard times later on in the 2000s much after DT's purchase. SoftBank bought Sprint at a bad time knowing things were gonna suck. To compare the two isn't fair because they have very different situations; DT kept trying to sell T-Mobile during the bad times.
  • Like 2

One debt bashing article with a closing kiss of death from none other than Mr. Muppet himself, the biggest sprint hater in the telecom-pinion editorial interwebs and everyone loses their minds? Cmon folks. Sprint suddenly cannot be saved? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

Foot print is small for lte plus though.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

210 Million doesn't seem that small to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Major cities get you to that number. Cricket had that before att. It is small.

Major cities get you to that number. Cricket had that before att. It is small.

I uncertain what you expected. It's Band 41. It'll take a much longer time to achieve full breadth of coverage like how PCS and SMR do. It's much easier to cover cities and their surrounding suburbs than it is to cover rural or semi-rural NY.

I uncertain what you expected. It's Band 41. It'll take a much longer time to achieve full breadth of coverage like how PCS and SMR do. It's much easier to cover cities and their surrounding suburbs than it is to cover rural or semi-rural NY.

I simply said that the news is some what discounted because the foot print of lte is small. To Compare how your network does in major cities to how AT&T or vzw performs across a much, much larger area is a bit disingenuous.

I simply said that the news is some what discounted because the foot print of lte is small. To Compare how your network does in major cities to how AT&T or vzw performs across a much, much larger area is a bit disingenuous.

There's no denying that Sprint's network is smaller than the big two and it may never catch up but to complain about that is akin to complaining that you get wet while swimming. 210 Million people is no small number and even if they only cover the largest cities in the U.S., that a significant portion of your subscriber base and of U.S. citizens covered by B41 CA. 

Additionally it doesn't matter how large your network is if it's not reliable at all. You can have the largest network in the world but if it don't work, it don't work. The fact Sprint can reach Verizon and AT&T levels of reliability within the same footprint makes Sprint pose a greater threat overall because they offer unlimited data, cheap price, and similar levels of service.

• Like 3

The graph associated with that news article shows how much progress sprint has made in two years:

125_Nielsen_Press_Release_Graph_6_2_16_h

Sprint was definitely in a rough patch in 2014.

• Like 4

The graph associated with that news article shows how much progress sprint has made in two years:

125_Nielsen_Press_Release_Graph_6_2_16_h

Sprint was definitely in a rough patch in 2014.

Shambles

Sprint has made a lot of progress, but there is not way they are the faster LTE network yet. The network is simply very inconsistent. Rootmetrics.com and oakla say a different story when it comes to faster network.

Sprint has made a lot of progress, but there is not way they are the faster LTE network yet. The network is simply very inconsistent. Rootmetrics.com and oakla say a different story when it comes to faster network.

The problem I have with Ookla is that it relies on gathered data from within their app. My guess is that people mostly use the speed test app either when speeds are really fast or really slow, which can skew data somewhat. In the case of RootMetrics vs Nielsen, I favor RootMetrics more since they publish their methods. That said, Nielsen is great because they measure speeds based on the tasks people complete on their phone that require data usage.

I like to think of it this way: 

Rootmetrics sees carrier X has 50Mbps speeds despite their practice of slowing down speeds for watching certain media on your device and carrier Y has 20Mbps speeds.

Nielsen sees carrier X has 6Mbps speeds since they're lowering throughput on Netflix to compensate for a rapid increase in customers but carrier Y still has 20Mbps.

• Like 1

The problem I have with Ookla is that it relies on gathered data from within their app. My guess is that people mostly use the speed test app either when speeds are really fast or really slow, which can skew data somewhat. In the case of RootMetrics vs Nielsen, I favor RootMetrics more since they publish their methods. That said, Nielsen is great because they measure speeds based on the tasks people complete on their phone that require data usage.

I like to think of it this way: 

Rootmetrics sees carrier X has 50Mbps speeds despite their practice of slowing down speeds for watching certain media on your device and carrier Y has 20Mbps speeds.

Nielsen sees carrier X has 6Mbps speeds since they're lowering throughput on Netflix to compensate for a rapid increase in customers but carrier Y still has 20Mbps.

Good points. John Saw blogged about this here:

As we look at data such as NMP, we see there’s a lot of noise in the market about whose network is better, and it’s important to understand how network tests differ. Today we see three types of metrics being used by carriers:

1.Nielsen Mobile Performance (NMP) – NMP uses crowd-sourced data to measure actual network performance and the real customer experience. In the Oct. – Dec. timeframe NMP measured more than 75 million download events.

2.RootMetrics® – RootMetrics is an independent mobile analytics firm offering scientific insights into how users experience networks under real-world conditions. Using off-the-shelf smartphones, the company tests call, data, and text performance from the end-user point of view. The company’s complementary series of RootScore Reports offers a full, nation-to-neighborhood view of mobile network performance.

3.Ookla – With its speedtest.net app, Ookla relies on crowd-sourced data from those consumers that for whatever reason choose to conduct a speed test. This type of stress-test also measures network performance capability.

Using a highway analogy for speed testing, some companies stress-test networks to determine how fast a network highway is built to perform – they are testing the capability of the network in a particular moment. Nielsen, on the other hand, uses crowd-sourced data to measure how fast actual traffic on the network highway is really moving on an ongoing basis.

Yes, Verizon does hold the most #1 RootScore Awards, but what they aren’t telling you is the fact that #2, #3, and #4 are hot on their heels, and in many cases the difference between #1 and #4 is literally undiscernible to the customer. Take Houston for example. Here we’re tied for #1 in overall performance, but look closely at the difference between #1 and #4 – the gap is extremely small. Same thing in AustinBoiseDenver….There are many examples where it’s a very close race.

T-Mobile relies on Ookla for its network claims, which again, measures how fast a network is built to perform, not how fast traffic is actually moving. To achieve this, Ookla collects speed tests submitted by wireless consumers and compares those speeds by operator. The downside is, unlike NMP, which latently monitors network conditions (including speed) while consumers are using their phones for their daily needs, consumers must explicitly initiate Ookla speed tests. Not many customers run their speed test apps regularly, and usually when they do, it is for diagnostics purposes - either in an area where their experience may be very bad or very good.

T-Mobile may currently have made their highway faster (per their Ookla-based marketing claims), but with the introduction of BingeOn, we see that cars on their highway are moving at slower speeds. All those multi-lane highways and nowhere to go because they put in speed bumps.

As you can also see in the above chart, as Sprint continues to build faster highways, our customers’ cars travel at higher speeds compared to the rest, which is what matters! 

• Like 2

Take Houston for example. Here we’re tied for #1 in overall performance, but look closely at the difference between #1 and #4 – the gap is extremely small. Same thing in Austin…There are many examples where it’s a very close race.

Bull Manure! I call bull Manure.

Yes, Sprint can deliver those 100+ Mbps speeds but only if you are relatively close to a Sprint or Clear tower. B26 is slower than 3G at the moment and the network is not properly balancing users between bands. I can't even stream a 32 kbps stream on B26 in some areas. Sprint is not tied for #1. No way in hell. Call and texts? Maybe. But not data speeds.

• Like 1

This all goes back to the Robatti interview I posted a few pages back. Time on B41 is a critical metric. Right now, that is where Sprint has 80% of their spectrum. It goes without saying that B41 time has to be up beyond where it is now. All Nielsen is proving is that B41 performance is good. That in and of itself shouldn't be shocking. Now how does Sprint increase that metric? By my own calculations, Sprint has to get people on B41 80% of the time.

Also it is to be Nielsen stats released are for B41. Rootmetrics and Ookla measure across all technologies.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2