Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Verizon Band 13 Congestion (10x10Mhz)

4871695999.png

8:49PM HST

That's not bad at all and quite usable. That's usually the best I'd ever see out of VZW. On average I'll see 1-2 down and 2-3 up for LTE, including on AWS overlays. "Unloaded" sectors are like 30/10.

• Like 1

Verizon Band 13 Congestion (10x10Mhz)

4871695999.png

8:49PM HST

In my area of Brooklyn, Verizon was slowing down to speeds like that until they deployed AWS. Now their Band 13 speeds are 20-30Mbps and their AWS speeds are about the same.

Does anyone know how Verizon is changing there equipment at such a lightning pace? Its crazy in 5 months time my city alone has been completely changed with new equipment that looks very similar to Sprint. Six sectors with two ruus attached to each. Sprint never moved this fast.

• Like 2

Does anyone know how Verizon is changing there equipment at such a lightning pace? Its crazy in 5 months time my city alone has been completely changed with new equipment that looks very similar to Sprint. Six sectors with two ruus attached to each. Sprint never moved this fast.

Money. Lots of money.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 12

Money. Lots of money.

THIS^^ Plus political power.

• Like 1

Yeah in less than a year they've added 8 macro sites in my quadrant of the city and they've started swapping out legacy PCS panels for new ones with RRUs. It's amazing. I'm glad someone's stepping up to challenge the long-standing AT&T density dynasty here.

• Like 1

THIS^^ Plus political power.

I thought you cant just throw money in and call it a day. I have been hearing this for years at least for Sprint.

Money. Lots of money.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I thought you cant just throw money in and call it a day. I have been hearing this for years at least for Sprint.

Who said they threw money at it? You said you wanted to know how they were able to do it. And the answer is money. If they did not have the money to do it in a short period, trust me, it would not have been done.

Money is the number one priority in deploying new sites. You need other things too, granted. You can have the best managers in the world, and give them little or no capital, and they won't get it done.

No one is making the point that Verizon is not good at managing their deployment. But if they weren't funding all these new sites rapidly, they wouldn't be there. Regardless of how good their deployment managers are.

We say in construction...Quality, Quantity, Price & Schedule. Pick the 3 most important to you. You can't have all 4. When a Contractor says he can give you all four, run. Because he is a liar.

Verizon picks Quantity, Quality & Schedule. They pay the price.

Sprint sometimes picks Quantity, Price & Schedule and suffer in quality. Then other times they use Quality, Quantity & Price and suffer in schedule. And sometimes they use Quality, Price & Schedule and they cant get the numbers they need. And sometimes Sprint only gets one or two of the four virtues from its vendors and contractors.

And that's really the point you want to make. That Verizon does a better job. I get it. And they do. But the big reason for that is funding. Sprint has made a lot of the decisions it has in the past because of funding. Because in that four virtues list, it never can sacrifice price. It has to sacrifice one (or more) of the other three.

• Like 12

We say in construction...Quality, Quantity, Price & Schedule. Pick the 3 most important to you. You can't have all 4. When a Contractor says he can give you all four, run. Because he is a liar.

Sprint sometimes picks Quantity, Price & Schedule and suffer in quality. Then other times they use Quality, Quantity & Price and suffer in schedule. And sometimes they use Quality, Price & Schedule and they cant get the numbers they need. And sometimes Sprint only gets one or two of the four virtues from its vendors and contractors.

And that's really the point you want to make. That Verizon does a better job. I get it. And they do. But the big reason for that is funding. Sprint has made a lot of the decisions it has in the past because of funding. Because in that four virtues list, it never can sacrifice price. It has to sacrifice one (or more) of the other three.

Thanks for the explaination. Its really helpful but I thought softbank was Sprint's "price". Can they no longer deliver anymore or are we talking pre softbank days?

• Like 1

That's a good rule!

Is there any more money that SoftBank can kick in, or is it tapped out for providing additional cash at this point?

That's a good rule!

Is there any more money that SoftBank can kick in, or is it tapped out for providing additional cash at this point?

They set up a leasing company that gave Sprint $1 billion.

• Like 3

Thanks for the explaination. Its really helpful but I thought softbank was Sprint's "price". Can they no longer deliver anymore or are we talking pre softbank days?

You know based on all the conversation here that SoftBank has not really invested much money in Sprint at all like everyone hoped they would.

Marcelo has been told basically to right the ship first. Masa doesn't want to send good money after bad. Sprint has to get its problems fixed internally, then Masa may bring in more funding.

• Like 6

That's a good rule!

SoftBank will not likely provide direct cash to Sprint until Marcelo gets Sprint to lean efficiency and a path toward financial growth. I believe Masa thinks that if he dumps money into Sprint too early, it will just go down the drain with nothing to show for it. Don't want to enable the old Sprint to do what it always has done.

• Like 7

Magentans: HE'S LYING!!!! :lol:

You forgot the put in there: " T-Mobile is the most improved because they are the fasted growing LTE network. We have 300 million pops and has added millions of customers per quarter"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

You know based on all the conversation here that SoftBank has not really invested much money in Sprint at all like everyone hoped they would.

Marcelo has been told basically to right the ship first. Masa doesn't want to send good money after bad. Sprint has to get its problems fixed internally, then Masa may bring in more funding.

You could make the case that Masa overpaid for the stock based on current operations... But then again, the spectrum Sprint has (now combined with Clearwire) could mean otherwise. I just remember when as a Sprint shareholder during the acquisition, I was offered a choice of cash or new Sprint stock. I opted for cash... And so did many others... In fact, too many... So the cash buyout SoftBank provided wasn't sufficient and people like me wound up getting a mix of cash and new Sprint stock.

See here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-08/holders-of-97-of-sprint-to-get-cash-in-softbank-takeover

Maybe that burned a hole in the pocket... Or perhaps Sprint took more funds after the acquisition than Masa expected given how much fixing needed to be done.

• Like 1

SoftBank will not likely provide direct cash to Sprint until Marcelo gets Sprint to lean efficiency and a path toward financial growth. I believe Masa thinks that if he dumps money into Sprint too early, it will just go down the drain with nothing to show for it. Don't want to enable the old Sprint to do what it always has done.

That's a good point, but what needs greater efficiency at this point? Marcelo has implemented accountability for expenses and has assembled his new team of deputies to execute his vision for the company.
  • Like 1

That's a good point, but what needs greater efficiency at this point? Marcelo has implemented accountability for expenses and has assembled his new team of deputies to execute his vision for the company.

How about the $2 Billion in cuts he's working through over the next two quarters? Besides, it's more than just efficiency. Marcelo needs to get Sprint working as well as it can financially first before Masa will consider anymore funding. And we don't know what that Masa's expectation is. Sprint may be close, or not even close. Don't know.

But Marcelo has already made significant improvements. He is starting to get his feet under Sprint and may have some momentum soon.

• Like 5

How about the $2 Billion in cuts he's working through over the next two quarters? Besides, it's more than just efficiency. Marcelo needs to get Sprint working as well as it can financially first before Masa will consider anymore funding. And we don't know what that Masa's expectation is. Sprint may be close, or not even close. Don't know.

But Marcelo has already made significant improvements. He is starting to get his feet under Sprint and may have some momentum soon.

That's all great

But... If Sprint needs to slow down in completing projects due to money. Tmo and the other two kids are not slowing down. Isn't it a catch22?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's all great

But... If Sprint needs to slow down in completing projects due to money. Tmo and the other two kids are not slowing down. Isn't it a catch22?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That's a good point, but AFAIK, NGN is already fully funded. What other build/expansion initiatives are suffering for lack of money? (I can think of one: Western Pennsylvania, where GMO's rule the landscape).

The delayed WiMAX shutdown seems to be the major project/build impediment at this point.