Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

That's all great

But... If Sprint needs to slow down in completing projects due to money. Tmo and the other two kids are not slowing down. Isn't it a catch22?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

We'll find out. Won't we?

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's a good point, but AFAIK, NGN is already fully funded. What other build/expansion initiatives are suffering for lack of money? (I can think of one: Western Pennsylvania, where GMO's rule the landscape).

The delayed WiMAX shutdown seems to be the major project/build impediment at this point.

I'm not speaking of the future in these posts. Terrell352 is trying to contrast what Sprint has/hasn't done versus what Verizon did. We don't know what the funding of NGN is yet at all, or where it comes from. How much, if any, comes from SoftBank or Masa? Don't know.

• Like 2

That's all great

But... If Sprint needs to slow down in completing projects due to money. Tmo and the other two kids are not slowing down. Isn't it a catch22?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

In addition, especially Tmo, they are still burning through cash as well. The only two that won't slow down due to financial reasons is AT&T and Verizon. But as Robert said, stay tuned...  :clock:

• Like 1

I'm not speaking of the future in these posts. Terrell352 is trying to contrast what Sprint has/hasn't done versus what Verizon did. We don't know what the funding of NGN is yet at all, or where it comes from. How much, if any, comes from SoftBank or Masa? Don't know.

Understood.

Marcelo had to go to Tokyo earlier this year to get SoftBank's approval for it...

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-claure-heads-japan-get-sons-sign-network-densification-plan/2015-05-12

A sign the money is coming from them, or just big boss oversight?

In addition, especially Tmo, they are still burning through cash as well. The only two that won't slow down due to financial reasons is AT&T and Verizon. But as Robert said, stay tuned...  :clock:

And they're attending the 600Mhz auction, they only have 4Bil out of the 10 they (maybe could get)

In addition, especially Tmo, they are still burning through cash as well. The only two that won't slow down due to financial reasons is AT&T and Verizon. But as Robert said, stay tuned... :clock:

Is T-Mobile printing its own money over there? How is Legere making the numbers work? Or is the clock ticking on the house of cards they've set up?

Is T-Mobile printing its own money over there? How is Legere making the numbers work? Or is the clock ticking on the house of cards they've set up?

They have already implemented pretty dramatic price increases as part of uncarrier 10. It will be interesting to see how they go this quarter given VZW in particular is swinging the bat very hard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Understood.

Marcelo had to go to Tokyo earlier this year to get SoftBank's approval for it...

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprints-claure-heads-japan-get-sons-sign-network-densification-plan/2015-05-12

A sign the money is coming from them, or just big boss oversight?

Uncertain. Could be a little of both.

• Like 1

They have already implemented pretty dramatic price increases as part of uncarrier 10. It will be interesting to see how they go this quarter given VZW in particular is swinging the bat very hard.

My guess is that new promotion that they're running for Sprint customers is in response to Sprint's new promotion stealing lots of customers from them. So many people thought that one T-Mobile passed Sprint, they'd be in the clear but in reality, Sprint is still on T-Mobile's heels and for the most part, Sprint is still T-Mobile's main competition.

• Like 2

Indeed. For new customers purchasing Unlimited Plans, the difference between Sprint ($70/month) and T-Mobile ($95/month) is now $25/month... That's the biggest pricing gap between them that I'm aware of.

• Like 1

Is T-Mobile printing its own money over there? How is Legere making the numbers work?

Based on their quarterly filings, T-Mobile's pushing a good chunk of their earnings back into the network. They're spending most of their margins on the network + customer acquisition, instead of recording them as profit or returning them as dividends.

is the clock ticking on the house of cards they've set up?

T-Mobile has been profitable for two years now (all while covering the network upgrade costs, and ETF payoff costs). Factually speaking, they could sustain themselves forever with their current setup, unless something major changes in the future (such as customers leaving, or their expenses rising sharply)

• Like 1

I have very high expectations of NGN but just don't see if moving very fast or doing as good if Sprint does have price. Network Vision was fully funded but there was still more slow downs and delays than any other carrier. I just don't want to see a repeat. I hope they pull it off smoothly.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Based on their quarterly filings, T-Mobile's pushing about a good chunk of their earnings back into the network. They're spending most of their margins on the network + customer aquisition, instead of recording them as profit or returning them as dividends.

They've been profitable for two years now (all while covering the network upgrade costs, and ETF payoff costs).

Factually speaking, they could sustain themselves forever with their current setup, unless something major changes (such as customers leaving, or their expenses rising sharply)

This is the way I see it. They used AT&T break up fees largely in the network to get this thing going. And they have been pouring any additional cash flow and debt towards this as well. They've been aggressive. It's paying off. Better than I imagined.

I have very high expectations of NGN but just don't see if moving very fast or doing as good if Sprint does have price. Network Vision was fully funded but there was still more slow downs and delays than any other carrier. I just don't want to see a repeat. I hope they pull it off smoothly.

Actually Network Vision WAS NOT fully funded. As Sprint started rolling out NV they clearly said several times that they had money to start but they built NV planning to speed or slow down based on future funding.

No wonder you have been jaded. You made one very bad assumption in all of your assessments.

• Like 2

Actually Network Vision WAS NOT fully funded. As Sprint started rolling out NV they clearly said several times that they had money to start but they built NV planning to speed or slow down based on future funding.

No wonder you have been jaded. You made one very bad assumption in all of your assessments.

Time out. So is NGN 100% without question fully funded? How many sites will recieve band 41? Seems like anything that has to do with physical upgrades Sprint doesn't make moves fast enough but things like band 26 and CA were almost instant. Not to down Sprint because they have done one hell of a improvement but I feel like they should be further along. How many of the 40,000+ sites even have band 41?

How many of the 40,000+ sites even have band 41?

Approximately around 20,000 by my estimates. Give or take. 

End of 2014 was a little north of 5000 which was heavily impacted by equipment shortages from Nokia and a bit from Samsung / ALU. 2015 was as smooth as can be. 

• Like 4

Time out. So is NGN 100% without question fully funded? How many sites will recieve band 41? Seems like anything that has to do with physical upgrades Sprint doesn't make moves fast enough but things like band 26 and CA were almost instant. Not to down Sprint because they have done one hell of a improvement but I feel like they should be further along. How many of the 40,000+ sites even have band 41?

I never said NGN is fully funded.  I don't really know much about funding of NGN at all.  That info has not been released.  Marcelo has said he was taking his plan to Masa for funding.  Did all of it get funded?  I have no idea.  We are in wait and see mode.

• Like 2

I never said NGN is fully funded. I don't really know much about funding of NGN at all. That info has not been released. Marcelo has said he was taking his plan to Masa for funding. Did all of it get funded? I have no idea. We are in wait and see mode.

For what they've said it sounds like NGN is just part of their normal 5 bil capex spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk