Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Diversity is great, but I'm not a fan of forced diversity. Just get the best people to do the job and the rest should sort itself out.

This isn't a forced diversity by any means, but as an employee, I can tell you that he does have a point.

• Like 4

This isn't a forced diversity by any means, but as an employee, I can tell you that he does have a point.

On the corporate and tech side, does Sprint demographics have similar composition to other tech companies, i.e. white, male, and Asian?

Although I did quote JimBob's post I was speaking in general terms. I did notice where the spokesperson made sure to point out that Marcelo's remarks weren't the start of a new hiring policy. I'm curious to see where it leads, if anywhere, or if it turns out to be just lip service in front of some politicians.

On the corporate and tech side, does Sprint demographics have similar composition to other tech companies, i.e. white, male, and Asian?

I would say it is more mixed, although telecom as a whole is always male-centric. The VP of Sales Engineering is a woman, our SVP of HR is a woman, etc. 

• Like 1

Deval says, "Hey, I resemble that remark."

;)

AJ

• Like 2

No, I do.

The seven Ps come to mind.

Oh I recall both AT&T really sucking for many years once the 3G iPhone came out. Verizon not much better. But big red built its network and then boasted. Where AT&T needed to fall down hard many times. Now they seem to have a decent (not great) network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if you realize, but you just shut your own argument down. Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 4

EVO 4G release in 2010 is when I recall it really starting to get bad.

For me it was February 2011. It was like a switch was flipped. In January everything was fine. Then I was out of the country for a month and when I came back data was completely unusable in the area of Pittsburgh I lived.

I was just passing through my old neighborhood last week, and there was strong B41 everywhere. I was surprised how much it had improved since I was there a few months ago. I rarely dropped B41 everywhere I went in Pittsburgh and the immediate suburbs, much better than San Francisco and Oakland currently.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like 1

For me it was February 2011. It was like a switch was flipped. In January everything was fine. Then I was out of the country for a month and when I came back data was completely unusable in the area of Pittsburgh I lived.

I was just passing through my old neighborhood last week, and there was strong B41 everywhere. I was surprised how much it had improved since I was there a few months ago. I rarely dropped B41 everywhere I went in Pittsburgh and the immediate suburbs, much better than San Francisco and Oakland currently.

Sent from my Nexus 6

While I have been with Sprint for over 13 years, I did leave the country in 2011-2013 to work overseas, so I applaud all of you who held on through the Wimax-LTE debacle. :P

• Like 1

I always thought it was funny that people called it a debacle because I never experienced WiMax troubles in my area. At the time, in much of my home area I could get 16 Mbps peak on WiMax and average speeds of around 8 Mbps. The only problem was battery life was horrible and when I went into my house I could only get WiMax if I stood in the back by the window. If I wasn't on WiMax, EVDO speeds were around 10kbps.

• Like 5

I always thought it was funny that people called it a debacle because I never experienced WiMax troubles in my area. At the time, in the area I could get 16 Mbps peak on WiMax and average speeds of around 8 Mbps. The only problem was battery life was horrible and when I went into my house I could only get WiMax if I stood in the back by the window. If I wasn't on WiMax, EVDO speeds were around 10kbps.

Boom. Exactly how it was for me.

I'm not sure if you realize, but you just shut your own argument down.

except AT&T didn't create a site showing updates performed nor boast till it worked. And it took them about 2-3 years where as sprint is almost doubling or tripling that if you count WiMAX

I always thought it was funny that people called it a debacle because I never experienced WiMax troubles in my area. At the time, in the area I could get 16 Mbps peak on WiMax and average speeds of around 8 Mbps. The only problem was battery life was horrible and when I went into my house I could only get WiMax if I stood in the back by the window. If I wasn't on WiMax, EVDO speeds were around 10kbps.

I also had good Wimax service... where I could find it.  Good ole Clearwire.  ;)  The rest is history.

• Like 1

except AT&T didn't create a site showing updates performed nor boast till it worked.

Even though it both dates back to updates from 2011 and isn't updated often enough (making it somewhat ineffectual for showing very recent updates), they did... 

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24795

http://www.att.com/gen/sites/focus?pid=22633

Likewise, if anyone knows of such an update site from Verizon or T-Mobile, please let me or others know. 

Edited by cortney
  • Like 1

This is from the IndyProud rally sprint threw for employees to celebrate our #1 root metrics and to hand out some awards.

This is the network team that handles sprint in Indy and got our #1 ranking. It was led by the man speaking and the woman next to him44c90fd9ff313e1b0e5c1ba85dc62355.jpg

• Like 19

except AT&T didn't create a site showing updates performed nor boast till it worked. And it took them about 2-3 years where as sprint is almost doubling or tripling that if you count WiMAX

That's not even the argument on hand. You gripped about Marcelo not doing anything in year 1 (if it has even been that long). Yet you bring up how it took at&t years to get it working.

You basically contradicted yourself.

That's not even the argument on hand. You gripped about Marcelo not doing anything in year 1 (if it has even been that long). Yet you bring up how it took at&t years to get it working.

You basically contradicted yourself.

well no -- i was actually repeating that Sprint seems always end announcements with - more time is needed.  

but hey to each there own!  

I think Marcelo has done a great job - he had a bunch of crap to clean up and wasn't (isn't) afraid to get his own hands dirty.  

In the past 24 months TMO has done the most at rattle the Big two.  Sprint can do even better - but not now, maybe later ;-) 

• Like 1

Even though it both dates back to updates from 2011 and isn't updated often enough (making it somewhat ineffectual for showing very recent updates), they did... 

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=24795

http://www.att.com/gen/sites/focus?pid=22633

Likewise, if anyone knows of such an update site from Verizon or T-Mobile, please let me or others know. 

interesting -- that is very cool thanks for sharing!  

not an exact overlay I am sure -- Washington DC for both:

https://network.sprint.com/DC/Washington/    (circa 2014/2015)  780 updates 

and

http://www.att.com/gen/sites/focus?pid=22632&market=WDC   Circa 2011  2400 updates which includes 80ish new towers

I assume Money helps here 

well no -- i was actually repeating that Sprint seems always end announcements with - more time is needed.

but hey to each there own!

I think Marcelo has done a great job - he had a bunch of crap to clean up and wasn't (isn't) afraid to get his own hands dirty.

In the past 24 months TMO has done the most at rattle the Big two. Sprint can do even better - but not now, maybe later ;-)

Also consider how much crap Marcelo has had to deal with from John Legere taunting him repeatedly, along with the recent personal attacks made by John Legere against Marcelo, alleging drunkenness, which is very unprofessional and ethically wrong to say to anyone, particularly the CEO of a major business competitor.

All along, Marcelo has remained very professional about this, even with other people criticising him so much for what he himself did not cause at Sprint, since he's only been there a year. Surely, Sprint still has issues, which he is dealing with as fast as he can. I've had issues with Sprint too, but even I'm amazed at hearing how much is being done even since I left Sprint last month. Lots of updates since then in the Premier Sponsor section, especially in Chicago.

Anyways, I still hope the best for Sprint and for Marcelo to find a way in the network upgrades, pricing plans, etc. in his business to finally shut up John Legere. I've really had enough of it myself.

I always thought it was funny that people called it a debacle because I never experienced WiMax troubles in my area. At the time, in much of my home area I could get 16 Mbps peak on WiMax and average speeds of around 8 Mbps. The only problem was battery life was horrible and when I went into my house I could only get WiMax if I stood in the back by the window. If I wasn't on WiMax, EVDO speeds were around 10kbps.

^^This. I actually had an Evo 4G and Clearwire unlimited wireless Internet at home and both were stellar. Those were the "good old days" and I remember them fondly.

Speaking of the Evo 4G, why doesn't anyone put HDMI-out on phones anymore? Oh, wait....back up....why doesn't HTC build good phones anymore? <tears and sadness>

Carry on with the topic! lol

• Like 4

^^This. I actually had an Evo 4G and Clearwire unlimited wireless Internet at home and both were stellar. Those were the "good old days" and I remember them fondly.

Speaking of the Evo 4G, why doesn't anyone put HDMI-out on phones anymore? Oh, wait....back up....why doesn't HTC build good phones anymore? <tears and sadness>

Now they use MHL adapters via USB to HDMI.  I prefer the mini HDMI cable, as I have one.  My MHL adapter never worked.

• Like 2

No need for HDMI. I use AirPlay

• Like 3

The problem was WiMax just never became that widespread.  A lot of markets never got it or just got protection site coverage.  And when you consider Sprint started charging the $10 "Premium" data fee while at the same time many customers were experiencing a deteriorating network, I can understand why a lot of people felt burned. 

• Like 4

The problem was WiMax just never became that widespread. A lot of markets never got it or just got protection site coverage. And when you consider Sprint started charging the $10 "Premium" data fee while at the same time many customers were experiencing a deteriorating network, I can understand why a lot of people felt burned.

Bingo

When my water company starts charging a premium fee to upgrade their equipment- I'm fine paying it till it is paid off.

Sprint decided to charge a fee that never really was targeted for all users. Basically it was poorly worded and even worse at deployment. Especially since it launched as a 4g fee if I recall.

Bingo

When my water company starts charging a premium fee to upgrade their equipment- I'm fine paying it till it is paid off.

Sprint decided to charge a fee that never really was targeted for all users. Basically it was poorly worded and even worse at deployment. Especially since it launched as a 4g fee if I recall.

I don't recall it being a 4g fee at all. I remember it being a smartphone fee
  • Like 1