Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

The word "competition" means a variety of things. For some , its the price regardless of quality. For others, quality narrows the field and price decides when there is similar quality. For a shareholder, competition can be an ugly word in a saturated industry.

As quality and speed become an increasingly important metric for a wireless consumer, its wrong to consider the pricing environment a result of "healthy competition". For the smaller guys without the scale of the big two, its desperation. I think we have seen sprint and tmo " hit the bottom" on plan pricing. It cant get much cheaper without a huge influx of new customers to justify deeper discounts. My point is this: Unless the little guys can go even cheaper while sustaining -unsustainable- network expansion and spectrum costs, we aren't going to see Verizon or ATT be much more aggressive with pricing. Why? They dont have to be. Their shared data buckets are working. If competition means we get to watch sprint and tmo continue to slap scraps off of each others starved carcass, then 4 carriers is great. But im ready for a carrier that has the network, scale and pockets to drive the big guys far closer to their bottom. We have only scraped the surface thus far

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

The cataclysmic event that could cause me to change course is if the Feds botch the 600 MHz auction. If Wheeler botches that, then I don't think he has any choice. "If the 600 MHz glove don't fit you must acquit, I mean approve."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

The cataclysmic event that could cause me to change course is if the Feds botch the 600 MHz auction. If Wheeler botches that, then I don't think he has any choice. "If the 600 MHz glove don't fit you must acquit, I mean approve."

I hope that the 600 MHz incentive auction is a disaster.  If so, S4GRU will have a ringside seat.  And then maybe we can get down to some real broadband reform in this country -- without just throwing spectrum and market based solutions at the problem.

AJ 

• Like 4

I hope that the 600 MHz incentive auction is a disaster. If so, S4GRU will have a ringside seat. And then maybe we can get down to some real broadband reform in this country -- without just throwing spectrum and market based solutions at the problem.

AJ

National fiber network? I would be good with that. I just don't see real solutions short of Bernie Sanders ending up in the Oval Office.

• Like 4

So many of us rural people are S.O.L when it comes to any type of competition in broadband. I don't want to veer the topic in the wrong direction, but I would give anything to see competition in the broadband world.

Sadly, the government will have to step in in order to make sure wired broadband is available in rural areas as its not a profitable endeavor for any for-profit company.
  • Like 2

So many of us rural people are S.O.L when it comes to any type of competition in broadband. I don't want to veer the topic in the wrong direction, but I would give anything to see competition in the broadband world.

That's why there is Project Loon

On a happier note, Sprint Shack is in progress in Carbondale, IL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I drove by an open one last Saturday.

• Like 1

I went into a RS/Sprint store in La Grange the other day to purchase a USB extension cord for my smartphone. The store is one of the smallest of those I've ever seen, being just slightly larger than a typical bedroom, this store being a bit smaller than my living room.

There were four employees working with no customers in sight. While normally I'd refrain from recommending a non-corporate store for wireless account/service needs, it looks like this kind of store would be great to have in not worrying about having your issues rushed because of crowded wait times, and plenty of people to give opinions on things.

Two of the employees worked together to quickly find the cord I needed and were good about not having me standing there for too long as I didn't have my rolling walker there, just my cane, and I struggled to just balance. Very good service for if you are in a rush, even for different reasons than my own.

So overall, seems like a great store that should do really well once people begin to find out its more than just RS, yet still has the RS stuff, as well as Sprint stuff.

• Like 1

Where do you get such a loyalty credit?

I'm on ED1500...a while back I got a letter "from Marcelo" via overnight delivery (what a waste of money) about a loyalty credit....I dismissed it since I didn't want an S5 at the time.

When I broke my M7 and went to Best Buy for a replacement they said I qualify for a $19 (better than the original Sprint $15) loyalty credit if I leased or went Easy Pay. I now lease for net $1/mth and paid zero out of pocket (no tax even).

I have the same $15/mth offer on two of my remaining lines that I will likely upgrade from S3 to S5 very soon.

• Like 1

When I broke my M7 and went to Best Buy for a replacement they said I qualify for a $19 (better than the original Sprint $15) loyalty credit if I leased or went Easy Pay.

Just to clarify, you only get the Loyalty Credit if you lease. It does not apply to Easy Pay.

Sent from my Tab 4

I'm seeing new roaming coverage in East Kentucky (specifically Harlan County). It's even shown as 3G! What carrier could this possibly be? I know Verizon has no good coverage in the area.

EDIT: Oops, just saw AJ's post about this in another thread. Sorry.

• Like 3

I'm seeing new roaming coverage in East Kentucky (specifically Harlan County). It's even shown as 3G! What carrier could this possibly be? I know Verizon has no good coverage in the area.

EDIT: Oops, just saw AJ's post about this in another thread. Sorry.

We will post our findings soon enough and there will be plenty of questions and answers.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 12

http://seekingalpha.com/news/2619125-sprint-suffers-worst-one-day-loss-since-november?app=1&dr=1#email_link

Craig Muppet again (makes dismissive waking motion). 

Scott Sloat (Sprint Spokesman, rare to even see him comment on crap like this) had to come out and make a statement.

“What is fact is that over the past two quarters Sprint has added more than 2 million customers, customer churn has dropped significantly and numerous third parties have cited our network improvements, all of which position Sprint for future growth,” Sloat said.

• Like 5

I may be alone, but I think that analysis is a crock of shit.
  • Like 4

I may be alone, but I think that analysis is a load of shit.

You aren't alone, because I agree.  How can they possibly know what the market will be like in 5 years?

• Like 2

I am sure Nokia predicted this 5-year market shift.

BN-JH300_micros_G_20150708134727.jpg

Liked, but :(. Microsoft's announcement yesterday felt like the death of a close friend to me. They've essentially given up on the Windows Phone platform, for all intents and purposes. Reminiscent of webOS. :(

• Like 3

Yes, and if this report had been released before Tmo's rise 2 years ago, it wouldn't have predicted that either. This doesn't smell right. All customers are up for grabs if the competition is willing to make changes that make them alluring to other subs. Verizon and AT&T wishes it would be this way.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 3

Liked, but :(. Microsoft's announcement yesterday felt like the death of a close friend to me. They've essentially given up on the Windows Phone platform, for all intents and purposes. Reminiscent of webOS. :(

I never forgave them for the grab and dump they did with Danger, the company behind the original Sidekick.

Great hardware + android has a chance under the name "nokia".

So long as microsoft doesnt come sniffing around a carrier...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2