Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

My interpretation: focusing on hotspot deployments at sites needing the most capacity does not make for an exciting POP count to market or promote.

POP's are only going to be useful in places where you blanket the whole market. Since there will be few places where Sprint will have wall to wall coverage of B41, you can expect Sprint to avoid giving out POP numbers for B41 for some time.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

No more people yelling at you if you miss the goal. Stops people saying sprint is stretching the truth for hitting the goal by saying that the signal is usable to someone 3 stories off the ground with the phones raised to the sky in order to get a signal. 

It will get done when it's done. Out of nowhere, SPRINT SPARK IN YOUR MARKET! OH MY GOD SPRINT IS SO QUICK I NEVER THOUGHT MY MARKET WOULD GET SPARK. OH MY GOD LOOK AT MY SPEEDTEST.

• Like 6

Bye said that Sprint is not disclosing how many POPs it is covering with 2.5 GHz LTE or how many it plans to cover by year-end.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-hints-upcoming-network-densification-strategy-using-25-ghz-spectrum/2015-05-05?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

My interpretation: only significant markets will get spark by EoY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlier this year a source familiar with Sprint's network plans told FierceWireless that the company was planning to significantly expand its LTE network by adding potentially up to 20,000 cell sites and repurposing existing sites.

Wasn't this source S4GRU?

Wasn't this source S4GRU?

The intersection of S4GRU and S4GRU?  It must be the nexus of the universe...

AJ

• Like 1

"Sprint is looking at traditional network equipment vendors, Bye said, as well as "what we consider disruptive players" that bring a "new thinking about how to architect networks." Bye said Sprint will be "measured and pragmatic" in how it chooses its vendors going forward."

Disruptive equipment vendors that bring new thinking about how to architect network is perhaps the most intriguing line in the article.

"Sprint is looking at traditional network equipment vendors, Bye said, as well as "what we consider disruptive players" that bring a "new thinking about how to architect networks." Bye said Sprint will be "measured and pragmatic" in how it chooses its vendors going forward."

Disruptive equipment vendors that bring new thinking about how to architect network is perhaps the most intriguing line in the article.

Totally.  I wonder who it may be? 

hmm...

NokiaNetworks.png

• Like 1

Bye said that Sprint is not disclosing how many POPs it is covering with 2.5 GHz LTE or how many it plans to cover by year-end.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-hints-upcoming-network-densification-strategy-using-25-ghz-spectrum/2015-05-05?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

My interpretation: only significant markets will get spark by EoY.

T-Mobile doesn't mention how many POPs their band 12 covers, Verizon doesn't do it either for their XLTE, and AT&T doesn't breakdown their POPs by LTE bands either.

Sprint names the markets where they have Spark, Verizon does the same with XLTE, and T-Mobile also lists markets where they are working on Band 12.

• Like 2

T-Mobile doesn't mention how many POPs their band 12 covers, Verizon doesn't do it either for their XLTE, and AT&T doesn't breakdown their POPs by LTE bands either.

Sprint names the markets where they have Spark, Verizon does the same with XLTE, and T-Mobile also lists markets where they are working on Band 12.

Yes but 2.5 is necessary to have the true lte experience.

Having b25 and b26 gives you 1-3 Mbps.

4q2014 sprint happily volunteered they cover 125mil with 2.5

4q2014 sprint happily volunteered they cover 125mil with 2.5

And yet, when B41 gets deployed on a site, B25 and B26 speeds go up at that same site. Well, if the backhaul is there to support higher throughput. Otherwise, it just further splits the bottleneck.

avb is right though. Don't expect Sprint to announce Spark POP's anymore, for the reasons why their competitors don't. It's not a meaningful metric. Because they all are popcorning additional band development. Especially higher frequency bands.

• Like 2

I hate to debunk your blanket statement so quickly after you posted it (not really), but there's no B41 in my market and I routinely get over 10Mbps down. I rarely see anything below 5-6Mbps when on LTE (there are still some pockets of 3G around here). I just ran a test -- 14.85 down/7.23 up, indoors on B26.

• Like 11

I hate to debunk your blanket statement so quickly after you posted it (not really), but there's no B41 in my market and I routinely get over 10Mbps down. I rarely see anything below 5-6Mbps when on LTE (there are still some pockets of 3G around here). I just ran a test -- 14.85 down/7.23 up, indoors on B26.

The Sprint store I go to check has speeds ~ 0.05mbps on ookla while iphones - can't download app - max at 2mbps on bandwidthplace.com test.

Closest 3 towers are all b25 lte. Next closest is 3G-only but then farther out, they're all b25 lte.

The Sprint store I go to check has speeds ~ 0.05mbps on ookla while iphones - can't download app - max at 2mbps on bandwidthplace.com test.

Closest 3 towers are all b25 lte. Next closest is 3G-only but then farther out, they're all b25 lte.

Because your experience with B25 means it's bad everywhere...

You're stuck in an area where B26 cannot be deployed yet. Your example is not representative of the network as a whole.

• Like 9

I'm not saying Sprint doesn't have areas like that; my point is that your statement that "2.5 is necessary to have the true lte experience" is not true in all Sprint markets (and it's probably untrue in most markets). I'd consider 10-15Mbps download speeds to be a true LTE experience. It's fast enough for what most people use their phone for.

• Like 1

Because your experience with B25 means it's bad everywhere...

You're stuck in an area where B26 cannot be deployed yet. Your example is not representative of the network as a whole.

But it is representative for non-trivial major markets.

I don't really care about b26. It's b41 that I'm surprised sprint hasn't launched in my area given the premier b41 schedule info.

What in the world is "the true lte experience"?

Wait, never mind.

Coming soon to a wireless network near you...

The True LTE Experience™

Now, we shall see which wireless operator wants to license it from me.

And, maximus, you are hereby prohibited from using my trademarked phrase.

AJ

• Like 7

I don't really care about b26. It's b41 that I'm surprised sprint hasn't launched in my area given the premier b41 schedule info.

And you're the only one surprised.

0848cba1a97180c12eb83fc7f228d6c535ddb1e5

• Like 1

You know your not being fair -- you know your making comparisons based on one of Sprint's known-worst markets (Michigan).

Clearly, not every market is deployed like Michigan was, and not every market has these same issues. (Unless you consider NYC or Chicago to be a trivial, not-major market.)

does IP board have an ignore button?

Yes, you have to click your user name in the top right. Then click "Manage Ignore Prefs". It will bring up a page where you put the users name and click what you want to ignore.

• Like 5

What needs are unique to Spanish speakers?

Are we gonna see plans unique to redheads? Maybe they have unique needs too. Who knows!

Assuming youre being serious...

Plans that have affordable pricing for calls and texts to and within hispanic countries. IE: No more $2.29 a minute.

Improved Spanish language communication.

And yes, if Sprint had a large percentange of redhead customers, than maybe looking at roaming in Ireland and Scotland would make sense.

• Like 4

Oh, but it doesn't stop T-Mobile and Verizon users from ranting and raving about their anecdotal mid-band experiences. 

Is that what a "true" LTE experience is? A continually tally-tickling (say that 5 times fast) speedtest in either random or frequented areas? 

And yes, if Sprint had a large percentange of redhead customers, than maybe looking at roaming in Ireland and Scotland would make sense.

This.  :D

• Like 1

I hadn't realized there was such a thing as a "True LTE Experience" being tied to a particular network band. I often get around 15mbps indoors with Sprint on B26, which is a higher speed than Verizon advertises for its typical LTE "experience".

• Like 4

I hadn't realized there was such a thing as a "True LTE Experience" being tied to a particular network band. I often get around 15mbps indoors with Sprint on B26, which is a higher speed than Verizon advertises for its typical LTE "experience".

Yeah, for anyone to presume you'll only pull 1-3 down just because it's B26 or even B25 is vacuous.

Not to mention no one needs more than like 5-6 for 99% of their smartphone needs, so faster speeds are just an added bonus. 

--

Oh, by the way: What EV-DO speeds do you all on Sprint in touchy LTE, or in 3G areas you've visited average? 0.5 - 1 megabit? I mean it, because before I know it I'll by looking into a new phone, and I want to know if Sprint's upgraded EV-DO is often usable, unlike Verizon's (I can't count the timeouts I had! :wacko:).

I'm not a huge streamer not video streamer, so I just want to know if in upgraded areas you can do basic web browsing and music streaming with ease like on HSPA+

• Like 1

Burr Ridge, Oak Brook are Spark areas meaning that most of the traffic is on b41, some on b25 and the rest on b26 so of course you're gonna have high b26 speeds.

If you can disable b41 and then b26 on your phone, let me know how your experience is.

Oh, by the way: What EV-DO speeds do you all on Sprint in touchy LTE, or in 3G areas you've visited average? 0.5 - 1 megabit? I mean it, because before I know it I'll by looking into a new phone, and I want to know if Sprint's upgraded EV-DO is often usable, unlike Verizon's (I can't count the timeouts I had! :wacko:).

I'm not a huge streamer not video streamer, so I just want to know if in upgraded areas you can do basic web browsing and music streaming with ease like on HSPA+

When I'm on 3G my data experience tends to be rather well. Not always above 1 Mbps but it is very usable. I can browse S4GRU, Facebook, Snapchat, and many websites perfectly fine. I also live in an area that doesn't have a ton of Sprint towers and they are spaced rather far apart, and there is a lot of people in this area (one of those "population outgrew the network" kind of situations), but the experience is amazing for an EVDO Rev. A network.

-Anthony

• Like 3

When I'm on 3G my data experience tends to be rather well. Not always above 1 Mbps but it is very usable. I can browse S4GRU, Facebook, Snapchat, and many websites perfectly fine. I also live in an area that doesn't have a ton of Sprint towers and they are spaced rather far apart, and there is a lot of people in this area (one of those "population outgrew the network" kind of situations), but the experience is amazing for an EVDO Rev. A network.

-Anthony

Thank you! Yeah, and I'm not looking for the max EV-DO theoretical speeds or anything. Like I said, a good slice of bandwidth to do those basic tasks with ease and I'd be happy. 

• Like 1

Thank you! Yeah, and I'm not looking for the max EV-DO theoretical speeds or anything. Like I said, a good slice of bandwidth to do those basic tasks with ease and I'd be happy. 

I also forgot to mention that pings are usually <110 ms. So it feels rather snappy for EV-DO. :)

-Anthony