Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Yeah, for anyone to presume you'll only pull 1-3 down just because it's B26 or even B25 is vacuous.

Not to mention no one needs more than like 5-6 for 99% of their smartphone needs, so faster speeds are just an added bonus.

--

Oh, by the way: What EV-DO speeds do you all on Sprint in touchy LTE, or in 3G areas you've visited average? 0.5 - 1 megabit? I mean it, because before I know it I'll by looking into a new phone, and I want to know if Sprint's upgraded EV-DO is often usable, unlike Verizon's (I can't count the timeouts I had! :wacko:).

I'm not a huge streamer not video streamer, so I just want to know if in upgraded areas you can do basic web browsing and music streaming with ease like on HSPA+

In my area it is always punching @1.4 until you get indoors or cell edge. Even on GMO's it works but the coverage is lacking w them. It slows naturally as tourist season picks up but works well and music streaming has always worked for me very well on ehrpd.

Oh, by the way: What EV-DO speeds do you all on Sprint in touchy LTE, or in 3G areas you've visited average? 0.5 - 1 megabit? I mean it, because before I know it I'll by looking into a new phone, and I want to know if Sprint's upgraded EV-DO is often usable, unlike Verizon's (I can't count the timeouts I had! :wacko:).

I'm not a huge streamer not video streamer, so I just want to know if in upgraded areas you can do basic web browsing and music streaming with ease like on HSPA+

Pre-NV it was barely usable during peak hours (think ~50kbps sometimes), now I rarely see it go below 700kbps. These days it will only time out and not work if LTE is also timing out and completely saturated.

From what I can tell, general consensus on the internet is that Verizon 3G is now on par with "old" Sprint 3G in most places and they're not doing anything about it.

• Like 3

"Post-NV" my EVDO speeds have ranged from 1Mbps to 2Mbps in both Boston and NYC. Pings are usually sub-80ms in my testing and it works just fine for everything including 480p video on YouTube. During peak times, it'll drop to around 900kbps. I just ran this one. My phone was on LTE but I switched to 3G.xhY4vcd.png?1

• Like 3

And though it defies all reason, 500kbps on EVDO works better for me than 500kbps on LTE does. Even when the LTE has a lower ping.

I'm not sure why that is, but LTE running at 500k is way overloaded. Whereas EVDO at 500k is just only 75% full. Maybe LTE running that full has more timeouts and errors. Not sure, but I can tell you in my experience 500k does not feel the same on all technologies.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 5

"Post-NV" my EVDO speeds have ranged from 1Mbps to 2Mbps in both Boston and NYC. Pings are usually sub-80ms in my testing and it works just fine for everything including 480p video on YouTube. During peak times, it'll drop to around 900kbps. I just ran this one. My phone was on LTE but I switched to 3G.xhY4vcd.png?1

:goodpost:  

Thank you all for your feedback!

• Like 2

And though it defies all reason, 500kbps on EVDO works better for me than 500kbps on LTE does. Even when the LTE has a lower ping.

I'm not sure why that is, but LTE running at 500k is way overloaded. Whereas EVDO at 500k is just only 75% full. Maybe LTE running that full has more timeouts and errors. Not sure, but I can tell you in my experience 500k does not feel the same on all technologies.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

Agreed. I feel like it does have to do with load. If I'm only getting 500kbps on LTE, the ping is usually really high (for LTE) whereas 500kbps on EVDO means I'll still have sub 100ms pings.

• Like 3

I hate to debunk your blanket statement so quickly after you posted it (not really), but there's no B41 in my market and I routinely get over 10Mbps down. I rarely see anything below 5-6Mbps when on LTE (there are still some pockets of 3G around here). I just ran a test -- 14.85 down/7.23 up, indoors on B26.

My city is a non spark market as well and I get .05-4mbps on average with certain towers thanks to density getting over 10. It is not common though Very often YouTube only plays in 360p at best with no buffer.
  • Like 1

My city is a non spark market as well and I get .05-4mbps on average with certain towers thanks to density getting over 10. It is not common though Very often YouTube only plays in 360p at best with no buffer.

What are speeds without b26 (if you can force it off)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are speeds without b26 (if you can force it off)?

Almost exactly the same surprisingly I don't know if there is data hogs in my city or what but Sprint data consistency is not as high as the other 3. Check sensorly in 34471 and you will see the differences are huge. Worst thing is every tower has band 25/26. Voice is amazing but unless its night time data is just not consistent downloads are slow, music is doing better but still has buffer moments and videos buffer too. I went to Sprint today and they had 9 employees and 1 customer. I asked why and they said the speeds suck. Could have lost his job tellinge that for all I know.
  • Like 1

Almost exactly the same surprisingly I don't know if there is data hogs in my city or what but Sprint data consistency is not as high as the other 3. Check sensorly in 34471 and you will see the differences are huge. Worst thing is every tower has band 25/26. Voice is amazing but unless its night time data is just not consistent downloads are slow, music is doing better but still has buffer moments and videos buffer too. I went to Sprint today and they had 9 employees and 1 customer. I asked why and they said the speeds suck. Could have lost his job tellinge that for all I know.

Whenever I go in to check the speeds, there's at least one customer (and 3 employees); corporate store, big intersection.

• Like 1

Whenever I go in to check the speeds, there's at least one customer (and 3 employees); corporate store, big intersection.

Sprints store customer service in this area is really good. When I go to Verizon they are very smug about everything.
  • Like 3

Sprints store customer service in this area is really good. When I go to Verizon they are very smug about everything.

I was at a street fair last weekend and walked past a Verizon Wireless booth. They walked up to me and asked if I'd be interested, I told them no thanks...I'm a satisfied Sprint customer. They chuckled as if I was out of my mind, to be honest that's the first time I've ever had that reaction. In defensive mode, I ran a 55 Mbps speed test in front of them connected to B41. They had nothing to say after that, and I walked away...smug as hell.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 27

I was at a street fair last weekend and walked past a Verizon Wireless booth. They walked up to me and asked if I'd be interested, I told them no thanks...I'm a satisfied Sprint customer. They chuckled as if I was out of my mind, to be honest that's the first time I've ever had that reaction. In defensive mode, I ran a 55 Mbps speed test in front of them connected to B41. They had nothing to say after that, and I walked away...smug as hell.

That's exactly the experience I get with Verizon lol. But if I ran a speed test I would get laughed out of the store with my 1mbps.
  • Like 1

That's exactly the experience I get with Verizon lol. But if I ran a speed test I would get laughed out of the store with my 1mbps.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have done that if I didn't know what I know [emoji16]

• Like 1

Or Artemis Networks?

I thought the same thing after reading that bit on "disruptive players", but I kinda feel like that's still a little risky at this point.

I thought the same thing after reading that bit on "disruptive players", but I kinda feel like that's still a little risky at this point.

If they do, I hope Sprint pays to lock up that technology to them. Now That would be a competitive advantage.
  • Like 1

Yeah, for anyone to presume you'll only pull 1-3 down just because it's B26 or even B25 is vacuous.

Not to mention no one needs more than like 5-6 for 99% of their smartphone needs, so faster speeds are just an added bonus. 

--

Tidal HIFI music service streamed well while on 3g for me tonight in the few areas when it got to 3g from LTE. This after I had resolved the mysterious song track skipping during playback that was bothering me for awhile. The network was still good most of the way out to Schaumburg and back.

Tidal HIFI music service streamed well while on 3g for me tonight in the few areas when it got to 3g from LTE. This after I had resolved the mysterious song track skipping during playback that was bothering me for awhile. The network was still good most of the way out to Schaumburg and back.

how do you resolve that? I had the same problem with tidal and canceled it because of that annoying issue.
  • Like 1

Verizon store employees are very smug around here too, and they tend to lie, such as the representative who quoted my mother a higher insurance price while we were still undecided a few weeks ago. Plus, he never called us with info he said he was going to do.

I think they have a bad attitude towards customers who aren't definitely going to sign up for service that same day, whereas Sprint employees are happy to discuss services and plans regardless, realizing that there is a lot to consider when shopping for wireless service, which customers deserve time to think it through. Verizon must be so self absorbed they think "how dare these people come into the store asking questions taking up our time and then possibly need time to consider when we are the best network, blah blah". AT&T isn't much better, whereas T-Mobile employees act like you should just sign up online and not even bother going into the store, as they are too busy taking money from prepaid customers coming in to pay for more minutes.

• Like 2

how do you resolve that? I had the same problem with tidal and canceled it because of that annoying issue.

I didn't have the problem when I had Tidal on my ZTE ZMAX with MetroPCS, though it was happening on my Nexus 6.

What I did, was I found some information online about stopping running services using Bluetooth Share, by going into the options screen, apps, then under the running tab. Then I also stopped running Signal Check Pro during this time, as I already got enough use of it earlier for the information I wanted to post about here on S4GRU. By stopping these services, it allowed the song I was playing on Tidal to play throughout without skipping, as the exact same song did a dozen times prior, since I was testing this issue out.

Regarding the earlier discussion of 3G speeds, in the DC area, 3G speeds are very usable outside of Metro tunnels.  I dropped US Cellular (roaming on Verizon) because the Verizon 3G that US Cellular would roam on was essentially unusable.  By comparison, Sprint 3G never leaves me disappointed above ground. 

- Trip

• Like 1

Portland, OR area has a nice flux of towers up and running now. I'd venture to say that 60-70% of our towers have 2.5 live? I haven't found to many spots that aren't running yet. Those 2.5 towers pull 35-70mbps depending on the day. Then we get b25 lte and its pulling 18-23mbps (sometimes 30? if its not loaded). Theirs only a handful of b26 even live in Portland so I cant even honestly speak to it. 

• Like 1

I just noticed, not sure if anyone else did, but Sprint has brought back Unlimited for the family plans. Just thought I'd let everyone know, if you didn't know.

http://www.sprint.com/landings/unlimitedfamily/index.html?INTNAV=ATG:HE:UnlimitedFamily#!/

• Like 4