Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

No, you are misreading that stat, somewhat understandably, as the writing is vague.  Because of FAA regulations, underground areas, RF unfriendly construction, and mass passengers, airports are difficult to serve.

But some level of Sprint service definitely is available at all 50 top airports.  It is ludicrous to think otherwise.  At 31 of those airports, the Sprint connection rate is greater than 97 percent.  At the other 19 airports, the Sprint connection rate is less than 97 percent.  That is what the quote actually stated/implied.

Look at the included graph.  What does 26 + 16 + 8 equal?  What does 41 + 9 + 0 equal?  50.

AJ

I actually did realize that after the fact, while taking with others on another forum about this.  And I haven't seen any graph.  I viewed and responded in the comments section on that article from my personal mobile device, so that math lesson at the end of your post was complete nonsense to me as I had no idea what you were even referring to.  In fact, I still don't because I still haven't seen it.  I will go revisit the page from my laptop so I will know what you mean.

The language was a bit vague but now I do see how I misinterpreted that.  I get it now, you can cancel the APB.

Nevertheless, it is embarrassing to have such a greatly improved network elsewhere but be so lacking when it comes to airports.  And, yes, I know they're difficult to serve and I know the reasons.  It still stands that they trail the other big 4 and I only want to see them improve in that regard.  Clearly, improving the service at airports will go a long way toward improving the greater Sprint public image. 

Pardon me?  What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  I addressed a misconception that JonnygATL made in interpreting the RootMetrics results.  He incorrectly interpreted that Sprint had no service at 19 of the 50 top airports.  Now, you are moving the goalposts to data speeds.

However, if you want to know why the other three have faster data throughput at airports, it is because their primary LTE is low band and/or mid band.  For Sprint, its "big pipe" is high band, band 41, and that is going to take some time to get into airports.

No, the data throughput is not "terrible."  That is hyperbole.  Sprint may be in fourth place, but 6.8 Mbps downlink, 3 Mbps uplink is very usable service -- especially for being in such high traffic settings as airports.  Sure, the data speeds can be improved, and they will be improved.

Finally, your last several posts are unduly negative, bordering on trolling.  I suggest that you chill out.

AJ

Can you clarify one thing about DAS systems for me, AJ?   DAS systems are put into placed by third parties, who then lease space on them to the carriers or do the carriers install the systems themselves?  Reading over several pages of comments on them on this and other forums I find myself confused as to how these systems work.  

It would be fantastic if Sprint were able to get band 41 deployed on some of these systems.  Or any band, for that matter, just so long as they get themselves set up on these systems.  

Can you clarify one thing about DAS systems for me, AJ?   DAS systems are put into placed by third parties, who then lease space on them to the carriers or do the carriers install the systems themselves?

Some DAS is third party, operator agnostic.  Other DAS is operator exclusive.  And yet other DAS is operator owned but non exclusive.  In other words, the situation varies.

AJ

• Like 1

The language was a bit vague but now I do see how I misinterpreted that.  I get it now, you can cancel the APB.

Nevertheless, it is embarrassing to have such a greatly improved network elsewhere but be so lacking when it comes to airports.  And, yes, I know they're difficult to serve and I know the reasons.  It still stands that they trail the other big 4 and I only want to see them improve in that regard.  Clearly, improving the service at airports will go a long way toward improving the greater Sprint public image. 

I also made a mistake in reading the article -- even though I did so on a laptop.  I failed to notice that the initial set of graphs is not a compendium from all 50 airports.  It is just from ATL.  Four other links in a horizontal row bring up the results from LAX, ORD, DFW, and DEN, respectively.  Anyone who has not viewed all of those results should do so.

Sprint does not fare so badly after all.  Sprint finishes second at three of the five airports.  It never finishes first, but it tops VZW, AT&T, and/or T-Mobile several times.  And where Sprint does poorly, so does at least one of the other operators.  That tells us airport service is not easy for any of the big four.

AJ

• Like 8

Knowing that Sprint partnered with Boingo, I have a lot of doubts that Sprint will try to improve their network speeds at airports. Why go through the trouble when you already have a partner that provides your customers with Wifi (at the 35 airports that Boingo has service at)?

RootMetrics doesn't include Boingo in its results AFAIK. I hope the Boingo deal works out and improves things, but it won't be reflected in these reports, except for if there's less overall traffic on the Macro/DAS network serving the area as a result. Perhaps it will speed things up a bit in that case.

• Like 1

Knowing that Sprint partnered with Boingo, I have a lot of doubts that Sprint will try to improve their network speeds at airports. Why go through the trouble when you already have a partner that provides your customers with Wifi (at the 35 airports that Boingo has service at)?

I agree with you to an extent, and I'll explain my meaning. In my opinion, it's almost less about the actual usability of data in airports than it is about the perception. Like it or not, people put a lot of stock in RootMetrics reports. I was just thinking this could be an area in which Sprint could make a significant turnaround with minimal comparative investment -- a real bang-for-your-buck perception win, if you will. Now I have since been enlightened as to the various challenges of providing good service in airports (thank you AJ, et al), but I still think Sprint could use a win, and stand by the idea that this might not be the most difficult of wins to achieve.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

I agree with you to an extent, and I'll explain my meaning. In my opinion, it's almost less about the actual usability of data in airports than it is about the perception. Like it or not, people put a lot of stock in RootMetrics reports. I was just thinking this could be an area in which Sprint could make a significant turnaround with minimal comparative investment -- a real bang-for-your-buck perception win, if you will. Now I have since been enlightened as to the various challenges of providing good service in airports (thank you AJ, et al), but I still think Sprint could use a win, and stand by the idea that this might not be the most difficult of wins to achieve.

Just my thoughts.

Since people from all over the country/world pass through an airport, it's effectively a nationwide/worldwide network in a self-contained space, not just a local one. That's why it's all the more important that airport performance be a priority for Sprint. The bang for the buck will go well beyond the limits of the airport grounds. Expand that level of performance to the 50 airports on this list and beyond, and you suddenly have a network investment which impacts millions of different people on a daily basis... And you've done it to fulfill their need for connectivity when traveling, which heavily influences perceptions and carrier choice.

We know that Marcelo saw this report: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/624323887879159809

We also know Marcelo has his eyes on the upcoming nationwide results: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/624333609143521280

We know that Marcelo saw this report: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/624323887879159809

We also know Marcelo has his eyes on the upcoming nationwide results: https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/624333609143521280

Reading through Legere's replies to Marcelo, I just can't believe that a board of directors at a large corporation would let their CEO act like such a petulant child.

I know some people eat that up, but honestly, act with some integrity.

• Like 9

Reading through Legere's replies to Marcelo, I just can't believe that a board of directors at a large corporation would let their CEO act like such a petulant child.

I know some people eat that up, but honestly, act with some integrity.

With the mentality of some people in today's society, they really enjoy the shock factor.  Legere is becoming as annoying, for me at least, as Vince (not our Vince) selling his soul to Slap Chop...

• Like 4

Here's how I see it with legere. Yea he's annoying and arrogant but sadly he has to help market T-Mobile because it's not going to sell itself alone. Believe it or not some people still think they suck. So legere has to act a hot ass mess to draw attention to T-Mobile. The commercials alone is not enough. John will never be able to stay behind the scenes like the ATT and Verizon CEOs and let the network sell itself. So in a way if john leaves the the next ceo kinda has to do the same thing cause that's all the public knows.

As far as the rootmetics goes, with Marcelo making that comment about making a bet it sounds like he knows the results or something. Maybe the carriers get their results early. What would be funny if they both tied for #3 overall OR Sprint is still #3 and T-Mobile is #4 overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

With the mentality of some people in today's society, they really enjoy the shock factor. Legere is becoming as annoying, for me at least, as Vince (not our Vince) selling his soul to Slap Chop...

"You're gonna love my nuts" ..I saw a thing where that pun was purely intended, I think world's dumbest or something where Vince was on the show.
  • Like 1

As far as the rootmetics goes, with Marcelo making that comment about making a bet it sounds like he knows the results or something. Maybe the carriers get their results early. What would be funny if they both tied for #3 overall OR Sprint is still #3 and T-Mobile is #4 overall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been confirmed that carriers see the results before they're made public.  He proved that with his "hometown advantage" tweet.

• Like 5

It's been confirmed that carriers see the results before they're made public.  He proved that with his "hometown advantage" tweet.

Interesting....

Which tweet? Link?

Interesting....

Which tweet? Link?

I'd find it myself, but Twitter is blocked at work.  The RootMetrics post was made public on June 17th.  I believe Marcelo tweeted it a few days prior to it becoming public.

• Like 3

Any wireless firm that pay rootmetrics.com get the results of every market before the public.

Seems Marcelo already know the results, and Sprint will knock Tmobile on voice and text, but we know that. What I want to see how close the data and speed gap is.

• Like 2

Any wireless firm that pay rootmetrics.com get the results of every market before the public.

Seems Marcelo already know the results, and Sprint will knock Tmobile on voice and text, but we know that. What I want to see how close the data and speed gap is.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/map/2015-1H?category=overall&type=metro

Looks like you can already see the 2015 first half results. They just didn't write the report yet. Sprint was 2nd in text, 3rd in calls and a embarrassing distant 4th place in data. All in all it looks like Sprint ranked last place in network speed, network reliability and overall performance. Network speed is no surprise since Spark is at best probably 35% built out but at least its improving. 

• Like 1

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/map/2015-1H?category=overall&type=metro

Looks like you can already see the 2015 first half results. They just didn't write the report yet. Sprint was 2nd in text, 3rd in calls and a embarrassing distant 4th place in data. All in all it looks like Sprint ranked last place in network speed, network reliability and overall performance. Network speed is no surprise since Spark is at best probably 35% built out but at least its improving.

Correct, but the national ratings are based on the state levels. T-Mobile is great...in metro areas. Rural is where the ratings really come in. Looking forward to the results.

Sent from my M8

• Like 2

Correct, but the national ratings are based on the state levels. T-Mobile is great...in metro areas. Rural is where the ratings really come in. Looking forward to the results.

Sent from my M8

No way Tmobile is touching Sprint in rural territory. There have been times where Sprint had better rural coverage for me than At&t

• Like 3

In Metro areas they are screwed unless they lift a fire and put 8T8R 2.5gz on the rest of their macro sites. The rural areas areas using 800mhz and 1900mhz LTE are good for now though.

I can't wait for the earnings report because I want to see how many macro sites they will build on their densification project.

Personally, I wish Marcelo would stop talking/baiting/responding to Legere on twitter. It is unbecoming of him. Just focus on the network and when Sprint wins across the board in all aspects, then toot your horn. You can't toot about one thing and then get slammed for other stuff that isn't up to par. He is playing into Legeres hand and his blind minions. 

my 2 cents

TS

• Like 11

This is a dangerous game Marcelo is playing. If Sprint comes in last Legere will become a cellular god for a day. Won't be able to tell him nothing.
  • Like 1

This is a dangerous game Marcelo is playing. If Sprint comes in last Legere will become a cellular god for a day. Won't be able to tell him nothing.

We already can't...

• Like 1