Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'd jump from my 10 line Framily if I could get some affordable/free tethering on an unlimited plan.

Never understood why framily didn't include tethering since you had the 1gb/3gb caps.  

The whole $15 jump to 27, issue bugs me. As tmo did say it was an introductory promotion.

Leasing in general just looks like a bad deal to me, regardless of who's offering it or who happens to be cheaper. The math on the plans doesn't seem very good, especially if there's any chance a person will damage their phone.

Other people seem to like it, and that's great for them. I don't see much harm in offering it. But I don't think I'd ever recommend leasing to someone -- it looks like you need a very specific use case to get a good deal out of it.

• Like 4

Leasing in general just looks like a really bad deal to me, regardless of who's offering it or who happens to be cheaper. The math on the plans doesn't seem very good, especially if there's any chance a person will damage their phone.

Other people seem to like it, and that's great for them. I don't see much harm in offering it. But I don't think I'd ever recommend leasing to someone.

Yeah, to me, leasing is good if you know that you are good with NOT dropping/damaging your phone.  If you know you are careless with your phone, then you should get insurance with the lease.  Then at that point, it becomes more expensive and not worth it to me.

Even with a non-lease, if you are careless with phones, you should get insurance.  But at lease with a non-lease, the phone payments go away after 2 yrs (or less), IF you keep the phone.

I will probably do a lease thru Best Buy, maybe when the GS7 comes out.  I am pretty good at keeping my phones in good condition.

Yeah, to me, leasing is good if you know that you are good with NOT dropping/damaging your phone.  If you know you are careless with your phone, then you should get insurance with the lease.  Then at that point, it becomes more expensive and not worth it to me.

Even with a non-lease, if you are careless with phones, you should get insurance.  But at lease with a non-lease, the phone payments go away after 2 yrs (or less), IF you keep the phone.

I will probably do a lease thru Best Buy, maybe when the GS7 comes out.  I am pretty good at keeping my phones in good condition.

You do have the option to buy at the end of lease term. My note 4 is on a lease.  At the end of 24 months I can turn the phone in or pay $120 to own the phone outright and not have any more payments. 

• Like 1

You do have the option to buy at the end of lease term. My note 4 is on a lease.  At the end of 24 months I can turn the phone in or pay $120 to own the phone outright and not have any more payments. 

That is true.  But if I was going to buy my phone after the 24 months, I'd rather just do the easy pay option.

That is true.  But if I was going to buy my phone after the 24 months, I'd rather just do the easy pay option.

Was going to do straight up Easy Pay until I found out Best Buy did leases too. I preferred the lower monthly payment. If I decide to keep note 4 I wind up paying the same total amount of money for the phone as on Easy Pay. 

• Like 3

Leasing in general just looks like a bad deal to me, regardless of who's offering it or who happens to be cheaper. The math on the plans doesn't seem very good, especially if there's any chance a person will damage their phone.

Other people seem to like it, and that's great for them. I don't see much harm in offering it. But I don't think I'd ever recommend leasing to someone -- it looks like you need a very specific use case to get a good deal out of it.

Honestly I don't think it is much different then doing an installment plan.  Either leasing or installments if you damage the phone you will have to pay off the loan/lease.  So in either case you should have insurance if you think you need it.  And the lease really is not much more expensive then full retail or installments.  IF i wanted to buy my 64gb iPhone at the end of the lease it would be $200.  The total price would be $800, about $50 more then retail.  But I wont keep a phone after 2 years so that is unlikely I will pay that.  So right now with my 10 line Framily I am paying $41 for an unlimited plan (Employee disc on the data) + $25 for my lease= $66 + tax a month for my plan and phone.  And I did not have to put anything down for the phone. 

The only real time installments make more sense is if you know you are keeping your phone longer then two years.  And I choose not to pay full retail upfront as long as interest free or good leasing deals are offered.  I guess I see the lease/installments as the evolution of the old two year contracts.

• Like 4

Was going to do straight up Easy Pay until I found out Best Buy did leases too. I preferred the lower monthly payment. If I decide to keep note 4 I wind up paying the same total amount of money for the phone as on Easy Pay.

Yeah

Not being argumentative, do people really keep a smartphone for 2 years or longer?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Yeah

Not being argumentative, do people really keep a smartphone for 2 years or longer?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I try to. No real reason not to. Flagship phones today will still be more than capable 2+ years from now. That's why I dislike trend of sealing up the batteries. It's really the only part that will wear out and need replacing. But then again, I'm also the type who buys a new car and keeps it until it falls apart. 

• Like 8

He sent off a whole chain. I've assembled it below.

I am so tired of your Uncarrier bullshit when you are worse than the other two carriers together. Your cheap misleading lease imitation is a joke. You trick people to believe that they have a 15 dollar iphone lease payment when it's not true. You tell them they can upgrade up to 3x but you don't tell them the price goes up to 27 dollars when they do. You say one thing but behave completely different. It's all a fake show. So its really #Tmobilelikehell

Weird that I had to edit the quote for this to show up ^

Anyways, my sister actually has this issue and is probably coming to Sprint over it. Mostly I think she is pissed because the vast, vast majority of people will be slightly annoyed at this bait and switch but deal with it because moving carriers is more than $12/mo of hassle for many people. She doesn't see it that way and I think once she figures out her exact employer discount will be coming onboard with Sprint.

Uncarrier my ass.

• Like 3

I try to. No real reason not to. Flagship phones today will still be more than capable 2+ years from now. That's why I dislike trend of sealing up the batteries. It's really the only part that will wear out and need replacing. But then again, I'm also the type who buys a new car and keeps it until it falls apart. 

I have a buddy who always buys AppleCare with his iPhone and right before the two years is up goes in and gets a battery replacement service done so he can get another couple of years out of his phone with a fresh battery.  Me, my gadgets are my only real "vice".  2 years with the same one and I get antsy.   :)

• Like 4

On overages here is my take. Just price your data per GB. You pay for what you eat. Have a reasonable per GB price. Maybe $7/GB or something like that. No fuss no muss! You don't have to ever change the plan. You can reduce the price

• Like 3

Weird that I had to edit the quote for this to show up ^

Anyways, my sister actually has this issue and is probably coming to Sprint over it. Mostly I think she is pissed because the vast, vast majority of people will be slightly annoyed at this bait and switch but deal with it because moving carriers is more than $12/mo of hassle for many people. She doesn't see it that way and I think once she figures out her exact employer discount will be coming onboard with Sprint.

Uncarrier my ass.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an analysis to decide what was the maximum they could charge, yet the large majority of people wouldn't leave over it.  $12 seems about right.  I would not likely leave over $12.  Too much work for the benefit.  But $15-$20, I would.  So there you have it.   ;)

• Like 2

On overages here is my take. Just price your data per GB. You pay for what you eat. Have a reasonable per GB price. Maybe $7/GB or something like that. No fuss no muss! You don't have to ever change the plan. You can reduce the price

Although I'd like the per GB price point to be lower than that, I am right on board with this level of thinking.

• Like 5

So, now that RootMetrics is reporting good results for T-Mobile, Legere has made a 180 and is now touting the results. https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/616441917384093697

The replies are way more antagonistic toward T-Mobile than I anticipated. Lots of "why don't you cover my home/school" and also questioning their value proposition. 

• Like 3

I love the tough language back to APC in this Order.  It's been systematically documented through the whole proceedings that APC has dragged their feet and been obstinate.  

I do believe the facts bear out they have not been working in good faith.  They should be moved to secondary class license holder and Sprint should be allowed to proceed with deploying LTE 800 in Arizona.  APC should now bear all their costs to move.

• Like 8

Then I am clearly not an adult! Win?

agreed and same.... i typically turn in around 7-9 months.... BUT with 3 a year - I could easily get the newest galaxy and iPhone each year. with out spending more money! So two per year is fine by me. Three is just icing. win

agreed and same.... i typically turn in around 7-9 months.... BUT with 3 a year - I could easily get the newest galaxy and iPhone each year. with out spending more money! So two per year is fine by me. Three is just icing. win

This is what reminds me of why america is not the greatest country anymore.  Excess for no apparent reason.

• Like 2

What would be the impact of being found to have acted inbad faith?

In the first link, it basically states that since APS didn't act in good faith they will be responsible for the costs to move. Prior Sprint was paying for the retune/equipment.

• Like 3

This is what reminds me of why america is not the greatest country anymore. Excess for no apparent reason.

That is uncalled for and blatantly ignorant. You've never indulged in anything "not necessary"? I doubt that. If someone enjoys having a new phone not based on some arbitrary timeline set by carriers many years ago, why should they not be able to do that? It's about options. Why do you care so much?

Excess for no apparent reason is what made America great. We don't need 1500 nukes, but hey...why not? Eat it USSR!

• Like 3

This is what reminds me of why america is not the greatest country anymore. Excess for no apparent reason.

Wow....

I won't say it isn't in excess. But why this country is ranked so low these days? I think not

Watch this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2