Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I dont get the new plan.

Wasnt the big thing unbundling and splitting off the plan and the phone so its all fair and square and you know what you're paying and whatever?

But now putting them back together into an "All In" bundle is the latest and greatest inovation..!? And yet All In still requires surprise activation fees, and numerous other taxes and surcharges making it not al in at all? Never mind no insurance....

It seems like the entire industry is running in circles announcing new plans every 6 months... and yet the best course of action is always to stay on the older plans.

I'm just going to sit back with my ED1500 plan and raise my eyebrows at all this back and forth.... and look forward to getting an upgrade for a penny in a couple of months.

Some of the plans and pricing carriers come up with make sense, though most of them don't. It seems that with each new plan, they are more confusing and unfair to their customers than these carriers claim to be, even though every new plan is aimed at being more "simple" than the last. When they come up with a plan, they add a new one, or extensions to the current one, which is aimed at further simplification and "enhancements", yet does the opposite.

The additions which are often for lighter data users, are unfairly overpriced and meant to get customers to pay more for data they don't want, which the per gb data forms of these plans often are significantly cheaper per gb the more a consumer gets monthly, though they are paying more totally every month.

Also, while I try staying out of arguments on the issue of the unlimited data means unlimited versus unlimited data means data abuse debates, at least I keep to defending my own 10gb-15gb monthly usage, I'm supportive of those light data users who are upset about the pricing discrepancies in existence often to get people to spend more for more data they don't want.

However, I support reasonable data speed caps on fairly priced per gb data plans, such as what Cricket has offered. I have in mind two pricing plan ideas that I've developed as more realistic alternatives to my more far out ideas in the past. I'll post them sometime soon and hopefully gather opinions about them.

• Like 1

I'm happy you guys won, but I still see issues here, mainly that Sprint still has overages and shared bucket plans with overages. Maybe a plan with shared data but a 512 Kbps throttle? Something not as arbitrarily bad as what T-Mobile does. I'd also stick a fork in the contracted plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love this idea but since Sprint uses it to diss Tmobile, I don't see this change of heart. If I went to Tmobile I would not choose unlimited since I don't have to fear overages in the off chance I go over my allotment. On Sprint, I would never consider anything but unlimited because I hate overages. If Sprint fixes overages, people would naturally move off unlimited. That is a strategy that both sprint and the consumer can rally behind.
  • Like 2

I love this idea but since Sprint uses it to diss Tmobile, I don't see this change of heart. If I went to Tmobile I would not choose unlimited since I don't have to fear overages in the off chance I go over my allotment. On Sprint, I would never consider anything but unlimited because I hate overages. If Sprint fixes overages, people would naturally move off unlimited. That is a strategy that both sprint and the consumer can rally behind.

I will offer this as a counterpoint -- not a refutation, mind you -- just a counterpoint.

Why should data users not have to pay overages?  Should operators accept that responsibility for them?  Or should consumers be more answerable and increase their data tiers or curtail their usage?  Just look at other similar situations...

When voice airtime was tiered, did users who exhausted their allotments get throttled -- could they speak only five words per minute?  No.  If they continued to use airtime, they paid overages.

If I exceed my credit limit in a given month, do my subsequent charges get throttled -- are they approved for only pennies on the dollar or are only a small fraction of transactions approved?  No.  If I continue to rack up credit charges, I pay a penalty.  Or I get cut off.

If you do not return a rental car on time, does the car get throttled -- does it turn into only a bicycle?  No.  For as long as you use the car beyond the return time, you pay charges and/or fees.

We are now about a dozen years into the mobile packet data era.  That is plenty of time to adapt.  People should manage their own data usage.  They should select tiers that are personally and financially appropriate.   That is how supply industries balance consumer demand.

AJ

• Like 9

Not sure how T-mobile is a better deal when you still have to pay taxes. Yeah....3 times a year you can upgrade but most people won't switch out their phone 3 times a year. 

switching my phone out 3x a year sounds like more of a hassle than a gift  

• Like 8

I think the real bullshit of his announcement was the comment that "Now you can switch with no added fee." As I understand it, the Jump $10 fee includes insurance. So what he's saying is, Now you can lease a phone, and we won't require you to buy insurance, but since it's a lease, you may want to buy some insurance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the real bullshit of his announcement was the comment that "Now you can switch with no added fee." As I understand it, the Jump $10 fee includes insurance. So what he's saying is, Now you can lease a phone, and we won't require you to buy insurance, but since it's a lease, you may want to buy some insurance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yep, and the insurance is $8/month, which is only $2 less.

The other dumb part is your paying the same price for a lease as you would on EIP, but for only an 18 month term. Sprint's option makes a lot more sense being a 24 month lease with lower monthly cost. It's more akin to a car lease.

• Like 2

Looks like Marcelo's giving it to Legere.

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/616456296758439936

He sent off a whole chain. I've assembled it below.

I am so tired of your Uncarrier bullshit when you are worse than the other two carriers together. Your cheap misleading lease imitation is a joke. You trick people to believe that they have a 15 dollar iphone lease payment when it's not true. You tell them they can upgrade up to 3x but you don't tell them the price goes up to 27 dollars when they do. You say one thing but behave completely different. It's all a fake show. So its really #Tmobilelikehell

• Like 4

Yep, and the insurance is $8/month, which is only $2 less.

The other dumb part is your paying the same price for a lease as you would on EIP, but for only an 18 month term. Sprint's option makes a lot more sense being a 24 month lease with lower monthly cost. It's more akin to a car lease.

Also don't forget the part where if the phone isn't in perfect condition, there is a additional $250 dollars that you will have to pony up, no nicks, no scratches, no broken screens, nothing missing. It is in the fine print.

• Like 1

Wow that's just doing too much with all the back and forth between them. I understand that Marcelo caught enough heat behind the 600kbps and John didn't make it no better. Honestly Marcelo should've just ignored it because we all know that T-Mobile is losing its steam and they are just playing for today and not the future. So they have to stay relevant somehow.

What Marcelo could do is go to that auction and out bid T-Mobile in the reserves and then laugh about it on Twitter saying how it was a great day and how much spectrum Sprint won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

We are now about a dozen years into the mobile packet data era. That is plenty of time to adapt. People should manage their own data usage. They should select tiers that are personally and financially appropriate. That is how supply industries balance consumer demand.

AJ

I agree for the most part. My biggest gripe is the data usage count on Sprint is not always the most up to date. I'm not sure how often it's updated, but it's usually several hours or even a day behind. Android users have options to track usage, but it's harder on an iPhone.

I think options are good though. I don't see myself switching phones that often. I stick with iPhones typically, which come out once a year.

• Like 1

Looks like Marcelo is looking at including tethering allotments in unlimited data plans.

https://twitter.com/marceloclaure/status/616459016571617280

I'd jump from my 10 line Framily if I could get some affordable/free tethering on an unlimited plan.

• Like 2

I think options are good though. I don't see myself switching phones that often. I stick with iPhones typically, which come out once a year.

Bingo

Option is good. And no fee unlike Sprint... you either pay $10 more per month. Or pay up your lease to term which is a couple hundread dollars at best.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I agree for the most part. My biggest gripe is the data usage count on Sprint is not always the most up to date. I'm not sure how often it's updated, but it's usually several hours or even a day behind. Android users have options to track usage, but it's harder on an iPhone.

Ios breaks it down by application, and all cell based data. I agree it isnt as good as android, in that you have to manually reset it each month. But it does report nicely. Ive also noticed that sprint over calculates useage....

And for the folks who felt like The Verge was ignoring Sprint:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/2/8882415/sprint-ceo-calls-t-mobiles-uncarrier-movement-bullshit

Good article

The whole $15 jump to 27, issue bugs me. As tmo did say it was an introductory promotion.