Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I'm a KC/Missouri person, so I'm here to provide the new blanket statement for the network. It's quite 'bitchin' in 99.9% of the areas, and the other areas have nothing in them but cows, and maybe the occasional Meth lab [emoji6].

• Like 8

I'm a KC/Missouri person, so I'm here to provide the new blanket statement for the network. It's quite 'bitchin' in 99.9% of the areas, and the other areas have nothing in them but cows, and maybe the occasional Meth lab [emoji6].

Dairies and meth labs are business entities and should set up an Enterprise Grade WiFi or contact Sprint Business Solutions for establishing a DAS system. [emoji14]

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 7

Dairies and meth labs are business entities and should set up an Enterprise Grade WiFi or contact Sprint Business Solutions for establishing a DAS system. [emoji14]

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

I believe they went the Enterprise Wi-Fi route, there's a plethora of fiber around. Oh wait, I guess wheat doesn't count....that does explain the breweries every couple of miles though.
  • Like 1

Meth labs need wireless, too!

Looks like I am going to have to get a Spark device to check for B41 signal in Perryville. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just catching up on the rumors...

I find it hard to believe that Marcelo/Masa would let Charlie walk away.

They were already partners in the TD-LTE fixed wireless program.

Hopefully it is just that they now have confidence in their plan and feel that they don't have to bend over backwards for Ergen.

Maybe that trial didn't pan out as planned and Sprint felt they were getting a raw deal and did not want to expand it.

242ce65bef6b8213ade77e31cb82dc78.jpg

I have had to ask this about another graphic today.  What is the source of this table?  I do not like this trend of bad statistics.

The inclusion of USCC is problematic -- to say the least.  USCC is a regional operator, not a national operator, so its marketshare, average spectrum, percentage of spectrum, and difference between spectrum and marketshare all get unduly diluted in a national comparison.  USCC does not compete against the big four in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc.  Pitting USCC against the big four in nationally weighted stats is specious.

In the markets where it has presence, USCC has greater than "1.4%" marketshare.  And in most markets where USCC has presence, it holds a Cellular A/B block 25 MHz license -- four times the "6.5 MHz" figure cited.  USCC also controls PCS, AWS-1, and/or Lower 700 MHz spectrum in many of those same markets.  In other words, USCC's average spectrum where it has presence is likely in the 35 MHz range.

AJ

• Like 6

The major cause of Meth Lab fires is  RF signals so lets supply them with as much RF radiation as possible, then the Meth problem is solved.

They definitely don't want Sprint Spark near those labs!!

• Like 1

I have had to ask this about another graphic today. What is the source of this table? I do not like this trend of bad statistics.

The inclusion of USCC is problematic -- to say the least. USCC is a regional operator, not a national operator, so its marketshare, average spectrum, percentage of spectrum, and difference between spectrum and marketshare all get unduly diluted in a national comparison. USCC does not compete against the big four in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc. Pitting USCC against the big four in nationally weighted stats is specious.

In the markets where it has presence, USCC has greater than "1.4%" marketshare. And in most markets where USCC has presence, it holds a Cellular A/B block 25 MHz license -- four times the "6.5 MHz" figure cited. USCC also controls PCS, AWS-1, and/or Lower 700 MHz spectrum in many of those same markets. In other words, USCC's average spectrum where it has presence is likely in the 35 MHz range.

AJ

I have had to ask this about another graphic today. What is the source of this table? I do not like this trend of bad statistics.

The inclusion of USCC is problematic -- to say the least. USCC is a regional operator, not a national operator, so its marketshare, average spectrum, percentage of spectrum, and difference between spectrum and marketshare all get unduly diluted in a national comparison. USCC does not compete against the big four in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc. Pitting USCC against the big four in nationally weighted stats is specious.

In the markets where it has presence, USCC has greater than "1.4%" marketshare. And in most markets where USCC has presence, it holds a Cellular A/B block 25 MHz license -- four times the "6.5 MHz" figure cited. USCC also controls PCS, AWS-1, and/or Lower 700 MHz spectrum in many of those same markets. In other words, USCC's average spectrum where it has presence is likely in the 35 MHz range.

AJ

As an economics major I completely agree with you about the numbers in the middle rows, b/c US cellular should be weighed only in the areas they serve, making the numbers useless to compare. But in trying to get the last column, I see what they were doing... Proving that sprint had a decided advantage in the capacity department.

It also shows that US Cellular is on par with t-mobile with spectrum/subscriber & ahead of Verizon & AT&T.

Anyway, I hope sprint can finally deploy and make use of their spectrum to gain a competitive advantage.

• Like 1

Meth labs need wireless, too!

Yeah... but you don't want to be using a cell phone around those vapors! (Not that I'd know... the only meth labs I've ever seen were on "Breaking Bad"!)

• Like 1

Sprint's 5th market where they are best network overall (tied at least.)

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/austin-tx/2015/1H

Sprint's went up almost 11 points total in the last year in Austin, TX. While AT&T has been declining.

This is fantastic! I am still crossing my fingers for the Richmond, VA report. Anecdotally, I know things have improved tremendously in the past 6 months; it will be nice to back that up with actual numbers here in a few weeks!

Sprint's went up almost 11 points total in the last year in Austin, TX. While AT&T has been declining.

With AT&T focusing so much on non-U.S. interests, no wonder they are declining here.

Its similar to the U.S. government putting more focus on international issues, less here domestically when things start to go badly. At least the other carriers here still are primarily focused on the U.S. market.

• Like 1

I like what was stated here:

“If we play the same game as our larger rivals are playing, we can’t win,” said one source close to the company. “They’ve got larger scale. Like any entrepreneur, we have to do things differently.” 

"As for how Sprint will pay for all this, Claure indicated that Son is ready to pay up."

You can read the full article here: http://recode.net/2015/06/07/sprint-secures-plan-to-modernize-its-network-but-at-what-cost/

• Like 6

I like what was stated here:

You can read the full article here: http://recode.net/2015/06/07/sprint-secures-plan-to-modernize-its-network-but-at-what-cost/

I'm curious about what exactly was meant by this :

"Claure plans to execute the radical improvements without spending as much as larger rivals have spent on its LTE networks. “If we play the same game as our larger rivals are playing, we can’t win,” said one source close to the company. “They’ve got larger scale. Like any entrepreneur, we have to do things differently.”

Still the slowest overall though. I really hope they can start speeding things up for the 2H 2015 reports, doesn't look like its happening for the 1H 2015.

• Like 1

Still the slowest overall though. I really hope they can start speeding things up for the 2H 2015 reports, doesn't look like its happening for the 1H 2015.

In Austin or overall? If we are talking this specific root metrics report then yes Sprint is still last in speed (in a two way tie for 3rd) but it isn't as if they are significantly lagging. They're within two tenths of a Mbps of Verizon down (beating them slightly on upload) and within 1.5 Mbps of AT&T the market leader. That 1.49 Mbps means an AT&T user would download a a 10 mb file a second earlier (6 seconds instead of 7 on Sprint). The horror!

• Like 6

In Austin or overall? If we are talking this specific root metrics report then yes Sprint is still last in speed but it isn't as if they are significantly lagging. They're within two tenths of a Mbps of Verizon down (beating them slightly on upload) and within 1.5 Mbps of AT&T the market leader. That 1.49 Mbps means an AT&T user would download a a 10 mb file a second earlier (6 seconds instead of 7 on Sprint). The horror!

Was I not clear in quoting the root metrics article?

Last place is last place. At the end of the year, Sprint will have very few speed awards at this rate. They should improve that for the perception that they are slow. They are known as being slow through NV, so when they continue to show last place, it hurts them.

• Like 1

Last place is last place. At the end of the year, Sprint will have very few speed awards at this rate. They should improve that for the perception that they are slow. They are known as being slow through NV, so when they continue to show last place, it hurts them.

While sprint doesn't have the fastest network they're still racking in reliability awards left and right so I don't see why we're complaining about one number when there is so many others that say Sprint is doing really well and improving all around in every market. Nonetheless, the pattern that I've been noticing in RootMetrics testing is that Sprint's speeds are increasing all around or they're not that far off from the other carriers, even if they are in last place.

I'm not willing to trade 20Mbps average speeds for a network that works 75% of the time. I'm better off with 10Mbps speeds and a network that works 99% of the time.

• Like 10

While sprint doesn't have the fastest network they're still racking in reliability rewards left and right so I don't see why we're complaining about one number when there is so many others that say Sprint is doing really well and improving all around in every market. Nonetheless, the pattern that I've been noticing in RootMetrics testing is that Sprint's speeds are increasing all around or they're not that far off from the other carriers, even if they are in last place.

I'm not willing to trade 20Mbps average speeds for a network that works 75% of the time. I'm better off with 10Mbps speeds and a network that works 99% of the time.

I whole heartedly agree. Slower speeds 99% of the time is much better than faster speeds 75% of the time. I look forward to when that is the case for Central Maryland. I'm simply saying that until Sprint isn't in last place over and over, marketing root metrics isn't a great idea. T-Mobile has had huge success with their "blazing fast platinum mega super LTE". That is what consumers are hungry for, and what Sprint needs to market once they get out of last place.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I had to leave Sprint not only because of the slow speed, but also because of lost connections entirely, some for over five minutes.

However, these RM reports seem odd to me both in overrating and underrating Sprint in some areas. Sprint does have excellent voice quality, which ought to be a category in these reports.

Apparently not... Or maybe i'm just too naive to believe someone would pick this report of all reports to complain about Sprint being last in speed hence why I gave you an out in asking if you were talking about Austin or overall.

I really hope they can start speeding things up for the 2H 2015 reports,

Sprint's median download increased 27% in the approximately half year between root's Austin tests. I'd consider that speeding up.

Again, yes per Rootmetric's own methodology Sprint and Verizon were tied for 3rd or last place. If you are going to argue that Sprint is last due to being .21 Mbps slower on median download have it it. I find that argument a bit ridiculous given that root itself says the difference is negligible. Like I said above the difference between first and last in this market on a 10 mb file is approximately a second, a 100 mb file is only 9 seconds. Sprint has closed the gap considerably in Austin (so much so that root metrics has tied them for first overall in the market). That is something to be celebrated.

• Like 1