Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

I hate to play devil's advocate here (especially with Lou's consistent passive trolling), but what you experienced (1 single user) isn't a good measurement for where T-Mobile sits today. As a matter of fact, looking at their map it seems like they've started to fire up H+ and LTE along the highways and rural areas (whether they have the back haul for it is a different story)

I'm not here to defend T-Mobile or Sprint. Heck, I'm the farthest from being a fanboy of any wireless company, mostly because they are all out to make a profit from us and don't care about the industry as much as we do. But we need to stop acting as if T-Mobile is a terrible company. Sure, they have a marketing guru as CEO who will ultimately ruin the company financially in the long run, but you have to admire the progress T-Mobile has had in the past few years. I don't think any company has caused as much change in the modern wireless industry as T-Mobile has.

In my opinion, T-Mobile has the better overall network today than Sprint. But if you were to ask me which company has a brighter future, its definitely Sprint. It still has a lot of LTE spectrum in its pocket and as soon as they finish 8t8r deployment, T-Mobile will have to find a new 'uncarrier' move to beat the speeds of its competitors. Las Vegas is a good example of what the future holds for Sprint. B41 was almost everywhere in that town (outside of the strip of course) and T-Mobile was struggling a lot of the times.

yeah I wasn't saying either firm was all roses...  my point was more of the fact that I never really heard people bash TMO as they do Sprint.  MY ASSUMPTION was/is that most people were fine with TMO being an inner city provider at a fair price!  Where as Sprint like ATT and VZW always seems to be proving they had coverage etc.... 

my area is more or less rural and when I have service with TMO at LTE - its been between 10 and 40 mbps down.  Near my home I get about 30-35 anytime of the day, where as on Sprint its about 2-10 down when LTE is up. -- Same tower.  

I think Sprint is a better choice if you travel in more remote settings! 

PS... Agreed TMO does have a better overall network as they didn't have to gut everything. I do find it strange that TMO has been able to get backhaul issues resolved where Sprint SEEMS to have had a harder time.  I know its been repeated here that Sprint made the wrong choices with backhaul as result.  

Both of them have made amazing progress!  

• Like 1

that is an amazing POV -- actually I knew TMO wasn't an option for where I lived... I tried them for over 10 years and only 2g EDGE at best. I actually never really considered them a national player. Rather a national - regional carrier that focused on major cities.

Where as Sprint advertised as a true National option...

so to your point - yeah TMO seemed to get (gets) a get out of jail card and pass directly to start collect $200 :-) Where as Sprint always got (gets) kicked in the ____.

That's cause sprint waited too long to do the overhaul and caused huge service disruptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's cause sprint waited too long to do the overhaul and caused huge service disruptions.

Also Network vision took far longer and was far more disruptive than it was projected to be. If you go back to that original webinar that sprint put out all the work was suppose to have been done in the earlier Am to avoid customer experiencing service disruption, and that didn't really happen.

I just listen to a podcast that explains mega project often take longer, cost more and have fewer benefits than are forecasted. A mega project being one that cost more than 1 billion and effects more than one million people. I think Network Vision fell victim to over ambition and under delivering. This has cost sprint a lot in terms of brand and it is going to take years to recover.

• Like 1

As a matter of fact, looking at their map it seems like they've started to fire up H+ and LTE along the highways and rural areas (whether they have the back haul for it is a different story)

T-Mobile is only doing GMO band 2 LTE + GSM in rural areas.

For now.

For the foreseeable future according to executives. They aren't planning on replacing the GMO sites with full builds. Even with the 700a deployment, GMO band 2 will remain.

Where did they say that?

I can't find a source at the moment. I clearly remember reading it and was very surprised that they didn't have a plan to upgrade GMO towers anytime soon.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/wireless-carriers-may-hesitate-partner-firstnet-analysts-say/2015-06-01

If sprint won't bid on 10x10 of 600 because softb would rather spend money on video games

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/01/us-softbank-supercell-idUSKBN0OH23H20150601

then is b14 a viable alternative? Beggars can't be choosers.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/wireless-carriers-may-hesitate-partner-firstnet-analysts-say/2015-06-01

If sprint won't bid on 10x10 of 600 because softb would rather spend money on video games

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/01/us-softbank-supercell-idUSKBN0OH23H20150601

then is b14 a viable alternative? Beggars can't be choosers.

This in my opinion is a stupid statement. Softbank has money in multiple ventures like most successful major companies, and money to spare.

Investing into a Mobile Game creator that is the brains behind not only one, but multiple insanely popular games is smart. Greater returns means more capital that can be used for anything Softbank, even Sprint.

• Like 9

This in my opinion is a stupid statement. Softbank has money in multiple ventures like most successful major companies, and money to spare.

Investing into a Mobile Game creator that is the brains behind not only one, but multiple insanely popular games is smart. Greater returns means more capital that can be used for anything Softbank, even Sprint.

So you think softb will give sprint enough $ for a proper 10x10 no matter the reserve size?

You posted this right as I was about to post the same thing.

• Like 3

So you think softb will give sprint enough $ for a proper 10x10 no matter the reserve size?

No I do not. However I fully believe that Masa and the board at Softbank invested for the long haul. If you don't think they looked at 5, 10, 15, 25 year predictions by experts before they even considered buying in Sprint you're crazy.

Masa has shown he has a methodical, planning mentality. If they believe Sprint needs something they will go after achieving it however they feel best.

• Like 1

No I do not. However I fully believe that Masa and the board at Softbank invested for the long haul. If you don't think they looked at 5, 10, 15, 25 year predictions by experts before they even considered buying in Sprint you're crazy.

Masa has shown he has a methodical, planning mentality. If they believe Sprint needs something they will go after achieving it however they feel best.

Son stated buying TMO was plan A. I'm sure he would've bid for 20x20 of 600 had that gone through.

But now he has to compete in a 4 carrier market and as you said, softb is a big company with lots of opportunities for investment; throwing more of softb's money into a 4 carrier free for all is probably the least profitable.

Son stated buying TMO was plan A. I'm sure he would've bid for 20x20 of 600 had that gone through.

But now he has to compete in a 4 carrier market and as you said, softb is a big company with lots of opportunities for investment; throwing more of softb's money into a 4 carrier free for all is probably the least profitable.

Short term, yes I'd say it's not returning investments like they had hoped. 5+ years from now where even little towns in the Midwest have 2nd b41 carriers and the RRP deals are live is a different story.

Look at current spectrum holdings, forgoing any purchases and sales Sprint should at least clinch number one metro carrier with ease. Number one in coverage is a different beast but there are acquired assets in the Midwest that have greatly helped areas that are rural, but yet highly traveled.

This is a game of chess, not connect 4.

• Like 2

Why are we talking about Sprint not bidding on 600? Because their CFO said they might not. AT&T and VZW said they might not also. Each one of them is throwing a tantrum regarding FCC rules and trying to exert some pressure. Masa will donwhat he wants to do with his money. He has the money to bid in 600 if he so chooses.

My guess is Sprint will hunt down a 5x5 600 piece in markets that one 5x5 B26 carrier will not be enough for VoLTE and fallback data. And that's the minimum of what they need.

Using Nexus 6 on Tapatalk

• Like 11

Why are we talking about Sprint not bidding on 600? Because their CFO said they might not. AT&T and VZW said they might not also. Each one of them is throwing a tantrum regarding FCC rules and trying to exert some pressure. Masa will donwhat he wants to do with his money. He has the money to bid in 600 if he so chooses.

My guess is Sprint will hunt down a 5x5 600 piece in markets that one 5x5 B26 carrier will not be enough for VoLTE and fallback data. And that's the minimum of what they need.

While I hope they do the minimum and am expecting them too, I also hope they would consider a 10X10 chunk for helping in the future expansion of the network.

• Like 2

While I hope they do the minimum and am expecting them too, I also hope they would consider a 10X10 chunk for helping in the future expansion of the network.

Yes, a 10x10 would be nifty. I don't think Masa is in the business of overpaying, though. So don't hold your breath.

• Like 4

Yes, a 10x10 would be nifty. I don't think Masa is in the business of overpaying, though. So don't hold your breath.

It's a perpetual license, not 15 year like in Europe so it's basically impossible to overpay. If duo are willing to pay a certain price then softb should be

It's a perpetual license, not 15 year like in Europe so it's basically impossible to overpay. If duo are willing to pay a certain price then softb should be

You can always overpay in an auction scenario. If someone is bidding you up, you have to either decide to overpay or bow out.

• Like 5