LuisBOSS302

.15 radio I assume?  Nothing can really beat that performance.  I don't know what Google did that Baseband version, but they need to share their secrets!

Actually I am currently running the .17 radio but regardless it really is amazing how the nexus performs on the network.

Ahh that makes sense.  With the newer radios, the N5 is about equal to the G2. 

The .17 radio gives me better coverage on B25 than the newest radio does on B26.  <_<

Don't forget the .15 inflates readings by nearly 10dB, and the .17 inflates readings by 3 to 5dB. 

Don't forget the .15 inflates readings by nearly 10dB, and the .17 inflates readings by 3 to 5dB.

I just know it maintains weaker signals a lot better than my G2 does. Even if it's inflating the dBm readings, it was still noticeably better.

Sent from my LG-LS980

• Like 1

I just know it maintains weaker signals a lot better than my G2 does. Even if it's inflating the dBm readings, it was still noticeably better.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Yes, it holds a weaker signal because it thinks it is stronger than it is. In some cases, this is perfectly fine if the site is well configured and does not have much traffic. You'll still probably have a better experience than 3G. However, if there is a moderate amount of traffic, or if you are too far away from the site, your experience will degree very quickly despite the dBm reading it showing. 

As a N5 user, I have seen both situations. And I use the .15 to hang onto fringe B25 here in Springfield since there is so little coverage (4 out of 27 towers have been upgraded. But that's another story). 

Anyway, that was just a reminder when comparing to the N5.

Back to G3 discussion!

Sitting at my local Sprint store waiting for an available associate... It's nice to see that the store is so busy, but I want my shiny new toy!  :frantic:

• Like 1

Are the screen / battery comments from the reviews accurate?

I'm kinda leaning towards an LG G3 over the HTC One M8 (prefer removable batteries, wireless charging, larger screen).

But the battery life on cellular browsing / screen-on time is the most important thing to me, followed by the screen viewability (outdoors, contrast, etc)

The numbers from reviews make it seem like the G3 is worse than the M8, because of the higher resolution screen. (Both in battery life, and in terms of contrast / brightness).

I'm curious what folks think who have actually purchased the device.

I really don't have much to add to this thread at this point, I had a chance to play with the G3 yesterday at work for a bit, and tested B41 on it, most phones there lock down to it even though the signal averages about -110 db in most locations   With the G3 next to my HTC M8, it was picking up B41 about 5db better or more.  I moved the phones around a lot and swapped positions and it seemed to remain that way at my desk over a extended period of time.  Speed tests on the G3 were always several megs faster, I guess to the better signal it was pulling.  The upload speed especially was more than double.   

Later on I walked around with both, to a area that is very very weak for B41, and both the M8 and G3 seemed to be about the same at that point.  Regardless I was impressed enough with the G3 to order one to swap back and forth with my M8.  I miss a phone with removable batteries.

Edited by k4ax

Hello all, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I was thinking about getting a G3 to replace my Galaxy S3 since my contract is up. According to sprint's coverage map I'm on the border between "best" and "fair" 4g, but their odd labeling seems to say "best" is being able to get any 4g at all inside.

Anywho, I currently can get just 1 bar of 4g with my S3 if I'm right next to the window. Since I have satellite internet for my house :wall:  with no other options for internet I'm trying to find a phone with the best 4g radio, so I can use 4g rather than the awful satellite.

From what I've read LG is supposed to use good radios, at least better than Samsung. I'm also wondering if I should wait for the next motorola phone.

If anyone has any suggestion I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Anywho, I currently can get just 1 bar of 4g with my S3 if I'm right next to the window. Since I have satellite internet for my house :wall:  with no other options for internet I'm trying to find a phone with the best 4g radio, so I can use 4g rather than the awful satellite.

We are sorry that our country's unduly profit focused broadband Internet providers have failed you.  Trust me, we have criticized that dysfunctional system time and time again.  However, we do not support discussion of illicit tethering -- particularly as a home broadband replacement.  It is abuse of "unlimited" data and hampers the mobile experience.

So, are you prepared to pay for and live within a tiered tethering data plan?

Just FYI...

AJ

• Like 1

I did not say I wanted to tether my phone?

I would just like to be able to use my phone in more places than just the window. If I wanted to tether it I could do it in the window?

But thanks for the FYI.

• Like 2

I did not say I wanted to tether my phone?

I would just like to be able to use my phone in more places than just the window. If I wanted to tether it I could do it in the window?

But thanks for the FYI.

So long as you have a hotspot plan.

Any tri-band device should improve your reception, especially when Band 26 LTE goes live in your area providing better coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I got the G3 today.....yesterday rather. You CAN switch easy pay lines around also, just did that.

Also while in the store I talked with repair/service and they showed me a brand new tower in my area that the maps here don't even show yet. It's not broadcasting anything right now but says in 6months it'll be up.

So long as you have a hotspot plan.

Any tri-band device should improve your reception, especially when Band 26 LTE goes live in your area providing better coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Alright, thanks. I doubt Band 26 is coming here before I go back to college.

I guess I'll take a look at the G3 then, heard some complaints about the maximum screen brightness but hopefully thats not an issue for me.

Alright, thanks. I doubt Band 26 is coming here before I go back to college.

I guess I'll take a look at the G3 then, heard some complaints about the maximum screen brightness but hopefully thats not an issue for me.

Well it's lighting up quickly across most of the country. Don't see a reason why it wouldn't there.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the only way to back out of messaging to the conversation list is by hitting back twice?

Seems like you would be able to tap beside the contact name to get to convo list, but it brings up contact info. I only found hitting back twice, while in a text convo, to get back to the list.