Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

It suddenly cut off from B26 and LTE altogether and now, for the first time, is on 1x800.  This is the first I've seen of this, too.  Maybe it's some kind of testing on Sprint's part?

Sounds like it's still rejecting LTE connections. Very weird. But cool that you got B26. So now you know it's there. 

• Like 1

Seems like they were working on the tower near my gfs house and I got knocked down to 1x. Now its raining and the rope is dangling to the side of the tower.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It suddenly cut off from B26 and LTE altogether and now, for the first time, is on 1x800. This is the first I've seen of this, too. Maybe it's some kind of testing on Sprint's part?

Have you tried removing and reseating your SIM? LTE-specific issues could be SIM-related. Even if the techs at the Sprint store seem to be resisting, at a minimum try to get them to swap out your SIM. It can't hurt.. just make sure they register it in the system.

-Mike

Alright.  I did that and then I forced it to LTE only.  It didn't find a signal (there is LTE here in this location).  So I toggled airplane mode and for a brief flash of a fraction of a second, it indicated a strong LTE signal (full bars) before immediately falling back to a moderate 3G signal.  So I toggled it again.  Same thing.  Brief flash of LTE and then back to 3G (with really decent speeds on 3G, mind you).  

If you forced LTE Only it should not have fallen back to 3G, even after an airplane toggle. If it lost LTE signal it would show no bars at all. That doesn't make sense. Sure you enabled LTE only in the right place?

• Like 2

If you forced LTE Only it should not have fallen back to 3G, even after an airplane toggle. If it lost LTE signal it would show no bars at all. That doesn't make sense. Sure you enabled LTE only in the right place?

Sorry..no I just left that part out when I was typing.  LTE only did nothing at that point so put it back on LTE/CDMA Auto PRL.  That is when I thought I saw a flash of LTE.  Then I toggled twice and go those two results mentioned above.  Sorry..got ahead of myself while I was typing.  But right now it's back and forth between 3G and LTE on B26.  If it falls to 3G  and i toggle airplane mode, it jumps right back on b26.

I'm giving the Nexus 5 another run and the first thing i noticed was a little bit of lightbleed at the top left. Anyone have that problem? My last one had a little bit too, I'm not really sure how much is acceptable for these devices. I know with an iPhone ANY bleed is unacceptable. 

and I thought these things were supposed to be RF monsters? Is that only for Sprint? I'm using it on a different carrier and it's not performing quite as well as my iPad Air is on that same network especially on the LTE side. 

I'm giving the Nexus 5 another run and the first thing i noticed was a little bit of lightbleed at the top left. Anyone have that problem? My last one had a little bit too, I'm not really sure how much is acceptable for these devices. I know with an iPhone ANY bleed is unacceptable.

and I thought these things were supposed to be RF monsters? Is that only for Sprint? I'm using it on a different carrier and it's not performing quite as well as my iPad Air is on that same network especially on the LTE side.

It's a beast on sprint. I've had it on T-Mobile and it wasn't that great but that could be because of their coverage here.

Works great on band 17 and band 4 LTE. Hand offs work pretty decent between the two as well. I don't have another device to compare it to though. I did notice better battery life is with band 17 but that could be due to the complete coverage of it compared to band 25 in my area.

• Like 1

Works great on band 17 and band 4 LTE. Hand offs work pretty decent between the two as well. I don't have another device to compare it to though. I did notice better battery life is with band 17 but that could be due to the complete coverage of it compared to band 25 in my area.

I'm sure the iPad has a larger antenna which is more likely to pick up signal.

It just stays parked on HSPA most of the time while my iPad is humming away with 2-3 dots of Band 17.

After realizing that my iPad could pick up on T-Mobile band 4 from two miles away and get 18 Mbps DL I suspected it could be a REAL RF beast.

I think the 5S latches on a little tighter then the N5.

I have yet to connect to any B26 or B41 even sitting near a known B41 site. I wonder if the phone is broke. 0.17 radio all bands enabled.

Sent from Nexus 5

I have yet to connect to any B26 or B41 even sitting near a known B41 site. I wonder if the phone is broke. 0.17 radio all bands enabled.

Sent from Nexus 5

You need the .15 radio for b41. At least I did. And even then, it's still questionable. My connection would die, and I had to keep airplane toggling to get back on b41. As far as b26, any radio should work. I've picked it up on all 3. No tricks required for b26 other than having the radio enabled.

Sent from Nexus 5

Not much B26 in our area yet. 

It just stays parked on HSPA most of the time while my iPad is humming away with 2-3 dots of Band 17.

After realizing that my iPad could pick up on T-Mobile band 4 from two miles away and get 18 Mbps DL I suspected it could be a REAL RF beast.

I think the 5S latches on a little tighter then the N5.

My n5 smokes my sisters 5s on Sprint, and both of my girlfriends parents 5s's on AT&T(with an AT&T sim in my n5). It wasn't even close, my n5 has won by 7dbm at the worst and in less than ideal conditions (basement two floors underground) it won by 12dbm and kept LTE while the AT&T iPhone 5s's kept dropping it for hspa+.

• Like 1

My n5 smokes my sisters 5s on Sprint, and both of my girlfriends parents 5s's on AT&T(with an AT&T sim in my n5). It wasn't even close, my n5 has won by 7dbm at the worst and in less than ideal conditions (basement two floors underground) it won by 12dbm and kept LTE while the AT&T iPhone 5s's kept dropping it for hspa+.

Both Girlfriends or both of her parents?  :lol:

• Like 3

Both Girlfriends or both of her parents? :lol:

I was hoping no one would catch my grammatical error... Both of her parents, I just have the one girlfriend. It wouldn't be worthwhile to have two, there's enough stuff to handle with one:P. For some reason they think buying iPhones supports the US but androids don't because they're "made in China" when I showed them proof that iPhones aren't any better about that I got some bs mumbo jumbo answer. That's a classic case of iSheep for you. :lol:

• Like 6

When using Google now with the nexus 5 does anyone see a significant decrease in battery life?

I've never had it turned off, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.  It is essentially an always-on service after all.

When using Google now with the nexus 5 does anyone see a significant decrease in battery life?

No.  I unplug my phone at 5 A.M. use the phone and Now regularly during the day and plug in around 9 P.M. usually with 20-30% battery left.

Nice to see a comparison.  I know I've mapped up some Sensorly coverage in some areas with the Nexus5 on band 17.

I thought maybe mine was defective, I know band 17 should be able to be held onto all the time. I'm having it swapped for the backlight bleed so we'll see if its the phone or not.

I've never had it turned off, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. It is essentially an always-on service after all.

No. I unplug my phone at 5 A.M. use the phone and Now regularly during the day and plug in around 9 P.M. usually with 20-30% battery left.

Thanks. I've always had mine turned off since I bought the device because I remember seeing reports of battery drain. It's probably been fixed since then anyway

Nice to see a comparison. I know I've mapped up some Sensorly coverage in some areas with the Nexus5 on band 17.

I've been trying to get them to swap over to Android, the comparison in signal strength was part of my tactic lol. They live in a valley with hills surrounding them out in the middle of nowhere so its kind of amazing that any carrier gets LTE to their house(Sprint gets fringe b25 to their house also and its always around 5mbs down).

I've been trying to get them to swap over to Android, the comparison in signal strength was part of my tactic lol. They live in a valley with hills surrounding them out in the middle of nowhere so its kind of amazing that any carrier gets LTE to their house(Sprint gets fringe b25 to their house also and its always around 5mbs down).

So far I think my phone is defective or has a deathgrip issue cuz my signal is bouncing everywhere and will not hang onto LTE at all. It even dropped out of service for a few seconds. Haven't had this problem since my att iPhone 4!

OTOH even for someone who's pretty much vowed to never leave iOS again im starting to grow attached to this device! Perhaps one day I'll feel comfortable enough to make the switch again.