HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

so I got to see the amber gold HTC One in person and it's more of a rose gold like everyone has said, and I'm not as impressed by it as I hoped that I would be I don't think I'll be getting it. I think I'll be waiting for the one max. But still be tempted to get the regular M8 as I twiddle my thumbs and wait.

• Like 1

I'm also running a Commuter on mine, but want something thinner. I'm hoping their Symmetry series will fit that bill.

I ordered this, and it comes out on 4/10.  I'll let you guys know what I think.

Edited by echo4papa

I was looking at Sprint coverage maps today and noticed if I select this phone it says I will have no service near Mark twain lake Missouri(a us cellular area) but if I switch to m7 it says I will have roaming service. Anyone know why the difference? Otherwise love the phone. The one I currently have will be exchanged as soon as my best buy has another grey in stock because of very poor Wi-Fi(20db+ less) than the demo unit. But other than that great phone lol

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I was looking at Sprint coverage maps today and noticed if I select this phone it says I will have no service near Mark twain lake Missouri(a us cellular area) but if I switch to m7 it says I will have roaming service. Anyone know why the difference? Otherwise love the phone. The one I currently have will be exchanged as soon as my best buy has another grey in stock because of very poor Wi-Fi(20db+ less) than the demo unit. But other than that great phone lol

I'm not sure if anyone here would recommend a service that you would only be roaming on... You wouldn't get any kind of appreciable speeds without Wi-Fi around and Sprint would drop you if you keep exceeding the roaming limit (200MB/month, I think).

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Good to know, I've got one shipping in this week and look forward to testing it out vs my M7.  My house sits in between two Sprint towers that are less than a mile apart.  One of them officially doesn't cover my place with it's sectors due to the tilt of the antenna, but my device pulls a week LTE signal off it in the living room in a few places and jumps between to the two sites a lot.  I look forward to seeing what the M8 will do, or if it will latch on to a converted Clear Spark site, as we have about 50 of those running in the area now. 

The ecsfb issues are likely problems on the side of the phone and the robustness (or lack there of) of the implementation.  I posted the following in the Clearwire TD-LTE 2600 forum regarding connectivity issues.  For me the issue starts when I travel between upgraded and unupgraded areas, and the phone has trouble in the "upgraded areas" - ones with LTE, eCSFB etc.  It's usually the unupgraded -> upgraded direction that's the problem.  Here are my symptoms:

* Phone might might be roaming

* Phone won't not complete a call or send sms

* Phone won't receive sms

* Phone won't connect to 3G or LTE data

I've been to the Sprint store twice now when this happens, and here's how they fix it:

1) Go to dialer and enter:

2) ##SCRTN#  (##72786#)

3) Press MENU in top right corner

4) Select "Reset"

This will cause the phone to go through self-activation again and clears up the problem completely even when power cycling and airplane mode toggle does not.  It's quite a big hammer, but luckily, it's only happened to me twice so far.

I doubt this is a software issue given that a reset fixes the problem completely.  The phone really needs another software update to address this, and I was today's update would've, but alas... 

it's becoming clear that Sprint (and now HTC) is aware of the issue given the frequency and others experience, so hopefully a patch will fix this soon.

-Martin

I was looking at Sprint coverage maps today and noticed if I select this phone it says I will have no service near Mark twain lake Missouri(a us cellular area) but if I switch to m7 it says I will have roaming service. Anyone know why the difference? Otherwise love the phone. The one I currently have will be exchanged as soon as my best buy has another grey in stock because of very poor Wi-Fi(20db+ less) than the demo unit. But other than that great phone lolSent from my 831C using Tapatalk

The map is still a bit messed up for Spark devices. I'm praying that sometime this year Sprint will change that horrible coverage map. They should go with a Google Maps based approach like T-Mobile, except more accurate.

• Like 2

Yeah it's just weird that all the purple areas go to white with a spark device. I will going up there to pick my boat up soon so I guess I will find out.

Yeah it's just weird that all the purple areas go to white with a spark device. I will going up there to pick my boat up soon so I guess I will find out.

always happens when a new device comes out, it will be fixed within a few months. 

How can you tell when you are connected to a spark site? Is it by checking the frequency in signalcheck, or another method?

I have also been having trouble in the north side of the DFW area with connecting to towers on LTE with the M8, while the S4 does not. i am having to cycle airplane mode to get it to connect to LTE, but it seems to drop back to 3G when i change towers(guessing). At times the LTE signal does not show a frequency in signalcheck. Once i move south of I-20, i dont seem to have the problem any more. Is this a CSFB issue that i am running into?

Holding it in the upright position, as if you were on a call is a signal killer? I could see holding it in landscape mode affecting the signal since the antennas are at the top, but not in portrait.

Grabbed a video of this from my S3.  Check out the signal changes based on how I hold it.  side note, when going CDMA only mode, the RF is better than my S3, and doesnt bounce around at all.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56313260/2014-04-09%2015.06.18.mp4

I have definitely noticed an improvement in RF performance vs my M7. My department at work is like a dungeon (no windows  :badday: ) and LTE was borderline impossible to get in here with my M7 and it was definitely impossible with the Evo LTE. With the M8 I can now hold an LTE signal in here for most part. Hovers between -111 and -118 but its still strong enough so that web browsing, Instagram, and other tasks are still very quick. Data definitely feels faster on 3G as well. Much faster than the M7. 

Also I have experienced the CSFB issue although it was nothing cycling airplane mode real quick didn't fix.

• Like 1

I demo'd the M8 at a Sprint store today. I tried placing a call but the earpiece volume seems really quiet for. Too bad HTC didn't put an amplifier in the earpiece. The only phones with decent earpiece volume were the iPhones. Not sure why.

I demo'd the M8 at a Sprint store today. I tried placing a call but the earpiece volume seems really quiet for. Too bad HTC didn't put an amplifier in the earpiece. The only phones with decent earpiece volume were the iPhones. Not sure why.

I can say that I have made a bunch of calls on the M-8 but the few that i have were very crisp and clear. Best clarity for me too date and that includes the iphones which are quite good.

• Like 1

Call clarity is very clear on my M8 when it goes through. The only thing I wish Sprint would do is release WiFi calling for this device. That way I can get around eCSFB issues until Sprint fixes my tower.

• Like 1

Call clarity is very clear on my M8 when it goes through. The only thing I wish Sprint would do is release WiFi calling for this device. That way I can get around eCSFB issues until Sprint fixes my tower.

Have you looked at the options under Settings - Phone - Use Internet Calling?  I'm a bit ignorant on the subject, so I was just curious.

I can say that I have made a bunch of calls on the M-8 but the few that i have were very crisp and clear. Best clarity for me too date and that includes the iphones which are quite good.

I care about call volume the most. I can barely hear the caller when I'm in a restaurant, mall, sidewalk or other busy places.

I care about call volume the most. I can barely hear the caller when I'm in a restaurant, mall, sidewalk or other busy places.

I have not had an issue with that and I work around alot of emergency/heavy vehicles. 

I have not had an issue with that and I work around alot of emergency/heavy vehicles. 

Besides the call volume issue, I'm leaning towards the iphone 6 if it has the rumored 4.7" to 5.5" screen for: Siri eye-free integration with my car stereo, more specialized accessories (fitness monitor, camera lenses, etc) available for it and a much lower malware target than Android. Hopefully, the iphone 6 will have Band 41.

Me too, and I somewhat agree....it is softer yes, but the clarity is just so damn good I dont need it as loud as I needed other phones.

Just got my M8 today and a otterbox defender case and it's one of the best otter box cases I've seen. I've yet to activate it, gonna wait until I sell my G2. So far I love it, screens nice it's quick and the speakers are down right amazing to hear. And who ever said this otterbox is one of the best I have to agree with you 100% feels great and believe it or not the screen protector is not that bad.

Sent from my HTC One M8

• Like 1

Besides the call volume issue, I'm leaning towards the iphone 6 if it has the rumored 4.7" to 5.5" screen for: Siri eye-free integration with my car stereo, more specialized accessories (fitness monitor, camera lenses, etc) available for it and a much lower malware target than Android. Hopefully, the iphone 6 will have Band 41.

I don't agree with the malware part. One of the greatest strengths of the iphones is the shear amount of quality accessories available for it along with built in integration with peripherals.