HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Got my M8 a few hours ago at best buy.  Ended up with the gold, they were out of silver, but I got over it.  Initial reactions are mixed.  Phone is fast, love the feel, UI, screen, etc.  I feel like I am back on my old EVO 4G, just on super steroids (I loved that phone). 

Now, I sit it next to my wifes S3, and notice the signal is anywhere from 1-7 db worse.  The signal is very bouncy on the M8, but the S3 is staying steady.  Both arent moving, sitting on my desk, staring at them.  Could this just be a result of polling time being faster on the M8?

Other thing I notice is that outside I am getting anywhere from +3 to -5 db, rapidly changing, on LTE.  I guess I have to give it a few days to decide if its good or not.

Side note, phone calls and data do work fine, none of the other issues people mentioned so far.

I got to test my N5 side by side this weekend with a M8 and noticed the M8 was anywhere from 7-10 db worse.

I do not have any scratches.

Damn...ok. I am trying to decide if I should just keep it or go and swap it out.

Got my M8 a few hours ago at best buy.  Ended up with the gold, they were out of silver, but I got over it.  Initial reactions are mixed.  Phone is fast, love the feel, UI, screen, etc.  I feel like I am back on my old EVO 4G, just on super steroids (I loved that phone). 

Now, I sit it next to my wifes S3, and notice the signal is anywhere from 1-7 db worse.  The signal is very bouncy on the M8, but the S3 is staying steady.  Both arent moving, sitting on my desk, staring at them.  Could this just be a result of polling time being faster on the M8?

Other thing I notice is that outside I am getting anywhere from +3 to -5 db, rapidly changing, on LTE.  I guess I have to give it a few days to decide if its good or not.

Side note, phone calls and data do work fine, none of the other issues people mentioned so far.

Best Buy had silver for Sprint? On their website they only list silver for VZW and ATT (coming soon). If they have it I might have to head over there and pick one up tonight. I've been holding out for silver.

:(  I have a new M8 replacement on the way for my wife's phone.  It would not hold onto any Sprint signal for over a few minutes.  It would not receive or make any calls after loosing Sprint even though roaming on an Alltel signal.

Only way to get it to connect again to Sprint was to reset the radios using ##72786# and let it go through a hands free activation, updates, etcetera.  hopefully I just got a lemon and this problem doesn't cover many phones.

My M8 purchased at the same time sitting right next to hers has no problem holding onto a signal.

Best Buy had silver for Sprint? On their website they only list silver for VZW and ATT (coming soon). If they have it I might have to head over there and pick one up tonight. I've been holding out for silver.

Sorry, I should of been more specific, its the gun metal gray.  They didnt seem too much different when looking at the silver on VZW.

One of the reps had a S5 from the launch dinner last night.  It literally made me feel like I was using my S3, except it was a lot faster.  The S5 really let me down in my 10 minutes of playing with it.  That being said, if it turns out to be a RF beast later this week, I might switch to it.  Have 14 days to decide if I return the M8 or not.  I love it, but if its RF sucks, Im not interested.

I could care less about RF. The device performs average at its worst and that's good enough for me. I prefer HTC's build quality, software, hardware, and design over any radio a Samsung device has, even if it's as good as the Nexus 5.

• Like 4

I've seen some good download speeds on band 26 and 41, 25MB and 28MB respectively, it is very inconsistent.   I will say I am LTE most of the time now.  However when it falls back to 3G, it seems to take a long time to regain LTE.  Sometimes I have to toggle to airplane mode to regain LTE. 

A little update: I've noticed that the BT sound via my Ford Sync is extremely quiet compared to previous Evo's and my M7. I have to turn the volume on max and the in-car volume almost double what I used to. A bit frustrating, especially when I have to have it louder than a V8 with an exhaust on it.

I've seen some good download speeds on band 26 and 41, 25MB and 28MB respectively, it is very inconsistent.   I will say I am LTE most of the time now.  However when it falls back to 3G, it seems to take a long time to regain LTE.  Sometimes I have to toggle to airplane mode to regain LTE. 

Even my S3 and Tab3 I have to toggle to get LTE back. my S3 is almost useless now because the power button internally keeps sticking so I'm going to order the M8

Even my S3 and Tab3 I have to toggle to get LTE back. my S3 is almost useless now because the power button internally keeps sticking so I'm going to order the M8

You might think I'm completely crazy for this, but I have found a way to get buttons that have stopped working to start working again. I know it sounds really really stupid, but sometimes it actually works. If you put your mouth on your phone and blow really warm, moist air around the button and then click it a whole bunch, sometimes it makes it work normally again. If yours is sticking, this might not work. But I know with some buttons gunk and oxidation builds up inside the button and this breaks it apart. It probably won't help in your case, but it's worth a shot to try.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

After reading this thread I am disappointed and astonished to hear people talking about the same kind of issues that I had with my HTC Evo 4g LTE and the way it acts with LTE and switching between LTE and 3g. I just can not believe that HTC would not have fixed these issues by now. I really would like to have another HTC phone but I am not sure I would be to happy with the Camera and Radio issues. It is no wonder they are losing money every quarter. It all started after the Original Evo when they went for the Evo 3d gimmick and started having radio issues. I remember people complaining about the 3d radio even. I think the last phone that had good reliable RF was the At&t HTC One x and One x+. I really wish they would just make the best Normal camera possible and get there radio's straight I am seeing a lot of inconsistencies and people returning there M8's looking for proper radio functionality.

The power button on the S3 sucks i see 2-3 a day in for repair.

I have never complained about the camera or the radio, although I said the download and upload speed are inconsistent, they are much better than 3G and I have had much better coverage for LTE.  I think Sprint and HTC will resolve their issues on speed and switching from 3G back to 4G with time. 

I would consider my experience with the HTC One (M8)  as great.  I have had the EVO HTC 4G LTE and the HTC One (M7) phones.

I'm glad I upgraded!

Update posted today to help with network acquisition. 1.54.651.8

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Just finished installing the update.  I see improvements on Wi-Fi, no improvement on RSRP on LTE.  More testing tomorrow at work where I can get LTE on S4 but not on my M8.  

After reading this thread I am disappointed and astonished to hear people talking about the same kind of issues that I had with my HTC Evo 4g LTE and the way it acts with LTE and switching between LTE and 3g. I just can not believe that HTC would not have fixed these issues by now. I really would like to have another HTC phone but I am not sure I would be to happy with the Camera and Radio issues. It is no wonder they are losing money every quarter. It all started after the Original Evo when they went for the Evo 3d gimmick and started having radio issues. I remember people complaining about the 3d radio even. I think the last phone that had good reliable RF was the At&t HTC One x and One x+. I really wish they would just make the best Normal camera possible and get there radio's straight I am seeing a lot of inconsistencies and people returning there M8's looking for proper radio functionality.

I guess it just boils down to your area. If you've got plenty of sites around you, the M8 and other HTC devices that aren't known for their RF capabilities will probably work pretty well. But if you're in an area where there are site spacing issues or in a fringe area... every db counts. To me I would want to have better RF over a phone that has design, sleekness, better UI (just my preference, not trying to start a war). Don't get me wrong, I love HTC and Sense. Now if the M8 could be a RF beast like the N5 I would throw my money at HTC every day of the week.

I guess it just boils down to your area. If you've got plenty of sites around you, the M8 and other HTC devices that aren't known for their RF capabilities will probably work pretty well. But if you're in an area where there are site spacing issues or in a fringe area... every db counts. To me I would want to have better RF over a phone that has design, sleekness, better UI (just my preference, not trying to start a war). Don't get me wrong, I love HTC and Sense. Now if the M8 could be a RF beast like the N5 I would throw my money at HTC every day of the week.

Its not a beast like N5 i can assure you.  In the areas I am at, ALL NV 1.0 completed with LTE broadcasting since last year.  My S4 performs better on B25 by up to 10db side to side.  I have already replaced my M8 and both exactly performed the same. Compared to multiple S4 and each one of them shows at least 5db better on LTE.

I don't know how well the S4 is compared to the LG2 and N5, but M8 does not outperform the S4 on LTE B25.  The M8 does outperform the S4 up to 10db on 3G radio.

I got the update installed. Wifi is definitely better. LTE appears worse. I now am idling a full 10db worse on the m8 than my wife's s3.

The LTE connection is not jumpy now, it's just worse.

Will see what tomorrow brings, but I might be looking at an s5 on Friday at this rate. :-(

Edit. OK I am sort of an idiot. Holding the m8 in portrait is a signal killer (if you hold it in left hand) when I stopped doing that, I gained 11db and am solidly better then the s3.

So update does seem to help, but holding phone for normal use degrades signal fast.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I got the update installed. Wifi is definitely better. LTE appears worse. I now am idling a full 10db worse on the m8 than my wife's s3.

The LTE connection is not jumpy now, it's just worse.

Will see what tomorrow brings, but I might be looking at an s5 on Friday at this rate. :-(

Edit. OK I am sort of an idiot. Holding the m8 in portrait is a signal killer (if you hold it in left hand) when I stopped doing that, I gained 11db and am solidly better then the s3.

So update does seem to help, but holding phone for normal use degrades signal fast.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Are you using a case on your M8? Wondering if it's having a similar situation as the iPhone 4 with antennagate

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Are you using a case on your M8? Wondering if it's having a similar situation as the iPhone 4 with antennagate

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If i lay my phone down facing up side to side to my S4, my M8 is at around -108 to -112 and S4 at around -98 to -105.

Once I pickup my M8 it will would improve to -105 but not near as close to -98 like my S4.  

No cases on both devices on this comparison but M8 seems sensitive IMO.

Downloaded and installed the update. It added Extreme Power Saving Mode...not sure what else yet.

Also, I haven't experienced bad RF signal on the M8. I'm coming from an M7, and the M8 is definitely better at connecting and holding an LTE signal. However, I can't compare it to a Samsung, Nexus or LG, since I've always had HTC phones. It does switch seamlessly between LTE (both bands 25 and 41) and 3G, so no issues here. I do use a case as well (Incipio feather case).

As an example, my gym is between two LTE towers. On my M7, it would switch A LOT between 3G and LTE from each of those towers. Towards the middle of the gym, it would drop to 3G...to get a decent LTE signal that would hold, I'd have to be close to the windows. With the M8, I'm on LTE the entire time and it's usable to what you would expect LTE to be (no buffering music, FB, Twitter, IG, ESPN apps all load quickly).

Just did a speedtest sitting at -106 dBm and pulled down 5.18mbps on band 25. I'm about a half mile away from the tower in a moderately dense neighborhood.

So ya, no complaints regarding M8 signal from me!

• Like 3

I saw that the Verizon variant of HTC One M8 is LTE-Advanced ready due to the processor.

Does this mean that it would also be LTE-Advanced ready for Sprint, or is that not applicable since we have Sprint Spark?

The Snapdragon 801 chipset supports LTE Cat 4. From the FCC documents, it appears the M8 supports up to 10mhz channels on LTE 800 and LTE 1900 and up to 20mhz channels on LTE 2600. The speeds Sprint can scale 20mhz channels up to would be 168mbps, with proper back haul and the M8 will support those speeds.

LTE 2600 is LTE-Advanced so yes, Sprint variant does have support.

Sent from my LG-LS980