HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

* My biggest complaint is the single radio path and the fact that the phone often does not connect to LTE even when there is a STRONG signal.  I've been told this is a tower/eCSFB issue not a phone issue.  I have a very strong LTE signal at both my home and my work, and most points in between.  All towers at home, work, and in between are at least 3G accepted.  Upon booting the phone, it will happily connect to LTE and stay connected.  If I drive for a while, to home or to work, it will switch to 3G and *never* switch back, ever.  Even if I drive back to where I started from (where I had a strong and consistent LTE connection).  The only way the phone will EVER connect to LTE again is if I either reboot it, or toggle airplane mode on and off.  That is very annoying.  However I do know that the LTE buildout in Buffalo is still underway.

The new radio firmware that came with the 1.54 update completely fixed this issue for me.

• Like 2

I've had my m8 for 3 days and this is my opinion so far. I came from the N5 yes I like having multiple phones so don't judge lol. The m8 is great! The screen is very responsive which makes apps open quicker then the N5. I've also noticed that the screen on the m8 is much more vibrant and better looking then the N5 As far as connection the m8 have phenomenal RF and will pick up LTE in the same spots as my n5. The difference between the 2 is that the N5 will hold on to LTE for as long as possible even if it's unusable. The m8 will hold on for awhile but tends to know if LTE is very weak and will switch to 3g. As for people having issues with the M8 not switching to LTE. What I have noticed is, if you start music with 3g and drive to an LTE are the phone will not switch automatically once I stopped the music the phone jumped to LTE. Also while talking about the radio I've noticed LTE is very strong. I can get WiFi farther with my m8 then my N5.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today, I did my first battery test with my new M8. About 12:30am, I unplugged my phone from the charger. My plan was a simple low to moderate use test. Standby time...light email usage...some Facebook/web browsing...and a little texting/talking...no heavy streaming. The following screenshots are at 50% and 5% remaining battery. I was so impressed after the 50% point, that I decided to stream a 47 minute YouTube video afterwards to push the phone. Here's my results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am very pleased. It's good to know that if I really need to be conservative with usage because I'm out and about, I'll be just fine with the M8.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

So far I love this phone even with out it being activated yet. Only thing I have a question about is when you have gps off it has the icon in the notification bar, guess I'll have to get use to that. And as far as camera, to me I can't tell much difference between my G2 and M8 (atleast on the phones screens that is). Also dose anyone know it the M8 is 60fps at 1080p?

Sent from my HTC One M8

There is a setting where you can record 1080p video at 60fps and it does a pretty good job at it. The default is at 30fps I think.

Just something I noticed while activating an M8 for a rep. The dB readings for B41 LTE were the same on the M8 and Nexus 5 side by side. Nothing scientific by any means, just an interesting observation

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You know how or just heard?

Sent from my HTC One M8

I have the device, there is a setting(FHD) that you can record 1080p at 60fps.  I was just saying that I assume that the default 1080p recording is at 30fps because there is a huge difference between the two.

• Like 1

http://www.cultofandroid.com/61191/sprints-htc-one-m8-one-harmankardon-speakers/

The One's shipping right now already have the Harmon/Kardon speakers.

Do they?  The screen shot also shows the H/K audio showing up in the settings, but I don't see that?  Maybe that comes with an update after they have the legal issues settled?

Has anyone connected their M8 to a Bluetooth calling device, like Ford Sync? If so, how is the call volume compared to previous phones? I'm trying to find out if my low BT volume is isolated, or if it's a device issue.

Do they?  The screen shot also shows the H/K audio showing up in the settings, but I don't see that?  Maybe that comes with an update after they have the legal issues settled?

I am thinking that the hardware is the same on all devices but the sprint version will have additional software for the h/k audio which will be nothing more than just an equalizer preset similar to beats audio before it, at least that's my thinking anyway.

I connected it to my Ralliart and the sound was great.  The only issue I had was a delay, which I guess is to be expected.  I was watching the GI Joe episode of Community while sitting in a parking lot waiting on the wife and the sound/video was not synced up.

• Like 1

I am thinking that the hardware is the same on all devices but the sprint version will have additional software for the h/k audio which will be nothing more than just an equalizer preset similar to beats audio before it, at least that's my thinking anyway.

Or a pair of headphones and software. I think the M8 sounds amazing as it is, unless they want to put a subwoofer somewhere then I might want it lol.

Sent from my HTC One M8

• Like 1

Or a pair of headphones and software. I think the M8 sounds amazing as it is, unless they want to put a subwoofer somewhere then I might want it lol.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Now this does make more sense, custom software with hk headphones.  I just don't see the actual hardware of the phone being any different.

• Like 1

Now this does make more sense, custom software with hk headphones. I just don't see the actual hardware of the phone being any different.

Kinda like the M7 with beats and some that came with beats headphones. But if there is a special edition or is it exclusive software the Sprint version is going to be getting in a update?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Kinda like the M7 with beats and some that came with beats headphones. But if there is a special edition or is it exclusive software the Sprint version is going to be getting in a update?

Sent from my HTC One M8

I want to believe that it will be an update specific to sprint phones, nothing more.

I want to believe that it will be an update specific to sprint phones, nothing more.

That's kinda the way I'm thinking. But will it apply for the BoomSound speakers or just headphones? After reading the article it looks like the Sprint variant has Harmon Kardon speakers built into it instead of regular BoomSound speakers. I'll try to go visit a Verizon store to see if they have one to play with and see if they sound different. All I know is this M8 sounds amazing.

Also, I see the " fast 60fps" mode in the camera for 1080p thanks.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Edited by ghostkilla1388

First, it's not all negative.  There are areas where my lte signal has become more robust, likely due to having more bands to tap into.  I've also broken 50mbps download speeds in some areas.

The problem is that I need to criss cross the greater los angeles area for my job, and some areas have horrid connectivity.  There is a location in Compton and Pasadena I frequent that is almost a total dead zone.

my old htc one could just barely hold onto a 3g signal, or whatever that non evdo em.... thing is, but it was enough to do the basics of getting a page loaded for some task.

With the new one, in the dead zones, it can't seem to connect to anything at all.  Even when I drive further away a bit, it takes forever to get a signal back.  In one area where I KNEW lte came in, after disabling mobile data and swapping from gsm to lte to reset things, I just restarted the phone and only THEN did it bother to get its ass back onto lte and not pretend there was no signal.

Very frustrating.  I've since read somewhere here that the sprint spark capable phones can't get lte and voice calls at the same time, and that if some specific tower upgrades are not in place to allow intelligent switching, the device may PARK you in 3g so you can see calls.  I swear, I almost never use these phones to call, I use them for data and connectivity, that is the primary use for me.  Is there a way to prioritize connectivity over calling?  I don't care if I can't receive calls, I want to be able to connect and get access to the web.

Saving all that, I am even more strongly considering buying one of those Wilson signal boosters for my car.  Any suggestions about which would be best for the sprint spark capable phones?  My last resort is downgrading to an older generation phone because of the way they handle connectivity, but I'd prefer not to have to do that.