HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

did anyone get a prompt to update the "Sprint Connections Optimizer" yesterday? I couldn't download cause I didn't have connection.  :angry:

I did but I didn't update it.

• Like 1

I'm curious to know how the M8 holds on to the 1x800 signal. I currently have a GS3 and it continuously swaps back and forth from 1x800 to an unusable 1900 signal and therefore making the 1x800 signal useless to me when I really need it as I'm in bad areas a lot. I plan on ordering the M8 tomorrow but I would like to know this first. Also if your on 1900 will it swap to 1x800 during a call? 

Wow HTC must have some serious quality control issues ! I wonder what is the cause of so many M8's having antenna/radio issues while others are fine. I am thinking it must be some kind of hardware defect like the way the antenna is connected to the radio. Reminds me of the Transformer Prime and pogo pins. Has anyone seen a teardown of the M8 yet ? 

It was stated in another thread that these issues seem to be concentrated on those early online sales and since most M8 users here ordered off the internet early the problem probably seems bigger than it actually is. 

It was stated in another thread that these issues seem to be concentrated on those early online sales and since most M8 users here ordered off the internet early the problem probably seems bigger than it actually is.

I got mine from a store and have the connection issues. It dose not seem like it wants to hold any kind of signal.

Edit: I done a ##72786# and it seems like that fixed it for me. I hope if not I'll take it to a store to get a new one.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Edited by ghostkilla1388

I got mine from a store and have the connection issues. It dose not seem like it wants to hold any kind of signal. Edit: I done a ##72786# and it seems like that fixed it for me. I hope if not I'll take it to a store to get a new one. Sent from my HTC One M8

It might be interesting to keep track of these issues. I wonder if there is a hardware difference. I have hardware version 0005. Anybody have something different?

It might be interesting to keep track of these issues. I wonder if there is a hardware difference. I have hardware version 0005. Anybody have something different?

Also have 0005, still have a random drop in all signal. Will have the x above the signal bars.

Edit: May have spoken to soon, back to it not wanting to connect or hold a signal.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Edited by ghostkilla1388

Also have 0005, still have a random drop in all signal. Will have the x above the signal bars. Edit: May have spoken to soon, back to it not wanting to connect or hold a signal. Sent from my HTC One M8

I wish I had an answer for you other than taking it back.

I wish I had an answer for you other than taking it back.

All anyone could do is try the ## thing it made it work better than before. I'm going to a store tomorrow and see what they can do since I didn't buy it straight out I done a trade plus cash for one. I do have insurance so they might send me another one.

Sent from my HTC One M8

So I figured out the ear piece audio weirdness.  The more I used it, the softer I thought it was, and I was getting pissed I couldnt turn it up.  I work at the airport, so my hearing isnt getting any better.  Yesterday, while on a phone call, I told my wife to hold on, and airplane was going to taxi by, she naturally says ok, and keeps yammering on.  The plane got closer, and the earpiece volume got exponentially louder.  I could hear her talking the entire time, while on my S3 I would never of been able to hear anything.

So, it appears the ear piece audio scales to surrounding environment.  Now, if I could just set the default a little louder, I would be in paradise.  

If someone wants to try it out too I would appreciate it.  Maybe put some loud music on and see if the ear piece volume rises.  There was no visual screen indication, just the phone got a ton louder in my ear.

• Like 1

Wow HTC must have some serious quality control issues ! I wonder what is the cause of so many M8's having antenna/radio issues while others are fine. I am thinking it must be some kind of hardware defect like the way the antenna is connected to the radio. Reminds me of the Transformer Prime and pogo pins. Has anyone seen a teardown of the M8 yet ?

It's really tough to know if it's a device issue or a network issue. Just go to any sprint gs5 forum and you will read very similar complaints as well.
  • Like 1

It's really tough to know if it's a device issue or a network issue. Just go to any sprint gs5 forum and you will read very similar complaints as well.

Hmmm. Maybe do many trying to be activated on the network at a given time period?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Does anyone know how to disable/deactivate the "Hands Free Activation" or "Device Self Service"? 

I have a custom rom (rooted, twrp recovery, s-off) and everytime I boot the phone I go through hands free activation, yet the phone is activated and works fine other than this annoying wizard popping up.

I tried freezing several apps as found on a google search, but nothing has worked thus far.

My theory is that the phone has trouble going between NV upgraded and non-upgraded towers.  In addition to checking for hardware differences, it would be interested to note what market the phone is used in and where trouble occurs.

• Like 1

Sad thing about this is all of the phones that people take back because they are not working correctly will get recycled back in to the system to some other poor unsuspecting soul. I once went through 3 Original Epic 4g phones

before I got one work a good radio. I had to get a replacement because I dropped it and broke the

screen. Then finally I got a great one that eventually went to my wife until I have her my Note 2. I still have the Epic 4g slider.  That phone has a great radio and some great silicon. It could easily run stable at 1.4 ghz and still works great till this day.

On Sprint, my HTC One M8 has the conventional wifi icon but on some online reviews I've seen the new Wifi icon with the Up/Down arrows underneath. Can someone please tell me if this is a carrier customization of the Wifi icon? Is it unavailable to stock ROM users on Sprint? Thanks!

On Sprint, my HTC One M8 has the conventional wifi icon but on some online reviews I've seen the new Wifi icon with the Up/Down arrows underneath. Can someone please tell me if this is a carrier customization of the Wifi icon? Is it unavailable to stock ROM users on Sprint? Thanks!

Topic Merged.

Not sure if this is the right place, but the only issue I've had with my M8 is when it switches to 3G, It takes along time to switch back to 4G.  I have two locations where this is the case.  If I toggle airplane mode, it will stay 4G.

The first place is on Nall right by the Sprint campus.  The other is on the west side of town.

I am also having what seems to be bad signal even on WiFi compared to my work phone (S4). I do not get 4G at my house but if i compare 3G on the M8 and S4 the difference is usually about 5-10dBm better on the M8. I will usually continuously get 1mbps/1mbps on the S4 while on the M8 I will only get around .08mbps/.03mbps (sometimes a little better but no where as close to the S4). On WiFi it is horrible on my S4 I will continuously get 30-40mbps/30mbps on the M8 I will get around 25mbps/25mbps at best but half the time it is worse and more in the realm of 10mbps/10mbps. I'm not sure if I should replace this and get a new M8 or just get a S5.

My M8 finally showed up today. So far I'm absolutely loving the phone. I thought I liked my N5 and then this came along. I have it in a barely there case and it just feels right. Everything is so smooth and just works.

I haven't checked signal strength compared to my other phones because I don't want to ruin the good thoughts I have of the phone so early. Lol. I still pull decent speeds whenever I test it though so no complaints here.

I've noticed that the voice quality is MUCH improved from the original 2013 HTC One M7. On my M7 I used to have a slight hiss with every phone call. Perfect quality on the M8... and I did a speakerphone call today and without even mentioning I got a new phone, the person on the other end (landline) said how unusually well they could hear me.

Additionally, he was also on a speakerphone and I could talk to people across the room because I could hear so well, which was not something I could do with the old M7. So it seems voice quality is much improved both ingoing and outgoing.

Also, when I went from the Galaxy S3 to the HTC One my initial thought was I missed the size of the S3's screen & fonts... with the bigger screen on the M8 and a slight bump in the font settings (using ViperOneM8 ROM) I now feel like I have the best of both worlds.

I can see holding onto this phone for a couple years [until the roaming 700mhz bands come into play and I need that. ;-) ]

My replacement phone should be here by then end of this week I hope. Done everything I knew how to do and even got a new SIM card. Took it off the network then back on still don't want to connect so there sending me a new phone. They keep saying it was because its a spark device and I didn't have my gps on to get the best signal lol but I'm hoping for the best I love this phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8

My replacement phone should be here by then end of this week I hope. Done everything I knew how to do and even got a new SIM card. Took it off the network then back on still don't want to connect so there sending me a new phone. They keep saying it was because its a spark device and I didn't have my gps on to get the best signal lol but I'm hoping for the best I love this phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8

If you still have your old phone, can you try the following to see if phone starts connecting again?

1) Go to dialer and enter:

2) ##SCRTN#  (##72786#)

3) Press MENU in top right corner

4) Select "Reset"

I'm curious if this really is a hardware issue that will be fixed with a new device, or a software issue that will happen with your new phone eventually anyway.

Also, what is the state of NV upgrades in your market?  Is it fully upgraded to LTE / In progress / not started?  I found that traveling through / between upgraded/non-upgraded sites ends to hose up connectivity.

-Martin

If you still have your old phone, can you try the following to see if phone starts connecting again?

1) Go to dialer and enter:

2) ##SCRTN# (##72786#)

3) Press MENU in top right corner

4) Select "Reset"

I'm curious if this really is a hardware issue that will be fixed with a new device, or a software issue that will happen with your new phone eventually anyway.

Also, what is the state of NV upgrades in your market? Is it fully upgraded to LTE / In progress / not started? I found that traveling through / between upgraded/non-upgraded sites ends to hose up connectivity.

-Martin

I've done the ##72786# a few times and it will work fine for a few seconds then it goes crazy again. I'm in Greenville SC and it's 99% done with nv and 60%ish Ltd accepted per the thread on s4gru. I'll post when I get my replacement M8, I'm hoping it's a hardware issue. Only reason I'm really thinking its a hardware issue is when I had my G2 I never had this problem.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Here's a question. Where do I change the name of my phone from "831C" to something better? Seems like Tapatalk extracted it from somewhere, but where? It also appears during a call when switching between, Bluetooth, speakerphone or the device.

Martin

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk