HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Samsung S5 beats the HTC M8 by 5db on B25. S5 sitting on -68 to -70 versus M8 sitting on -74 to -75.

The Nexus 5 sitting on -69 and LG2 sitting at -74 to -75. All test done at store using SignalCheck.

I will miss my M8. S5 RF is similar to Nexus 5 from my testing today at the Sprint store.

Posted Image

Why are the GCI different? Could that be the reason 2 phones have one reading and 2 phones another? DB like that you must be sitting on a cell tower.

I want to see real world side by side before I bring my M8 back. Then again, the more I use my m8 the less I want to go back to Samsung.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Why are the GCI different? Could that be the reason 2 phones have one reading and 2 phones another? DB like that you must be sitting on a cell tower.

I want to see real world side by side before I bring my M8 back. Then again, the more I use my m8 the less I want to go back to Samsung.

Good eye. The GS5 and M8 are on different sectors.

• Like 2

Good eye. The GS5 and M8 are on different sectors.

Interesting. Not sure how but I know there is a Sprint site nearby behind the store.

How did u get it? I was told by Sprint that it wouldn't be available until some time in April.

It's also already $50 on contract, at least on the business side.

Sorry. Didn't realize this was probably mentioned. More pages than I thought.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by rcro

Interesting. Not sure how but I know there is a Sprint site nearby behind the store.

Any chance you can get them side by side farther away?  Perhaps that DB change is simply because of the other sector being farther away (god I hope its farther, and not the closer one).  

I dont think I can bring myself to return it over 5db of service with B26 and B41 coming anyway.  Everywhere I go I typically have good B25 service, except where LTE isnt lit up yet.  I am really falling in love with the M8.

• Like 3

Any chance you can get them side by side farther away?  Perhaps that DB change is simply because of the other sector being farther away (god I hope its farther, and not the closer one).  

I dont think I can bring myself to return it over 5db of service with B26 and B41 coming anyway.  Everywhere I go I typically have good B25 service, except where LTE isnt lit up yet.  I am really falling in love with the M8.

I don't think its a sector issue.  Tested the S5 side to side to Nexus 5, very close performance on B25.  At first I was going to keep the M8 until I saw the S5 side to side with the Nexus.

UWSQQ5w.png

What in the world is in the upper right corner of your pic?  Is this some kind of sexual Rorschach test?

AJ

• Like 3

What in the world is in the upper right corner of your pic?  Is this some kind of sexual Rorschach test?

AJ

Lol, not sure, background picture at the Sprint store.  It's a womans hand holding the S5 with her fingernail showing.

What's a good app for to use the leds as a flashlight?

Sent from my HTC One M8

I'm using the HTC flashlight from the M7: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2697025

I'm also rooted and use an Xposed mod that turns on the flashlight if I hold volume up for three seconds when the phone is off.

I don't think its a sector issue. Tested the S5 side to side to Nexus 5, very close performance on B25. At first I was going to keep the M8 until I saw the S5 side to side with the Nexus.

If the nexus is on same sector as S5 but M8 is on another, the comparison is not exactly a 1 to 1. I would like to see side by side, same sector.

I got my M8 next to an S5 about 30 minutes ago with a buddy who got it today and it's only 1db different, - 101 vs - 102

In a separate test, he dropped Lte and I maintained it, usable, at - 120

Overall though, my m8 bounces around a lot more, like it's being interfered with, or, has a bug in reporting it's signal numbers.

• Like 1

I don't think its a sector issue. Tested the S5 side to side to Nexus 5, very close performance on B25. At first I was going to keep the M8 until I saw the S5 side to side with the Nexus.

Don't forget, its not all about B25 anymore. Someone else posted that the M8 has better (or close to?) Band 41 performance than the N5...

Sent from my Nexus 5

Don't forget, its not all about B25 anymore. Someone else posted that the M8 has better (or close to?) Band 41 performance than the N5...

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'll continue my B41 tests as I just got my M8 today. When I did my brief observation with my Nexus 5 and a customer's M8 side by side, they were both at the same dBm reading for B41.

Edited by fuunkychicken
  • Like 1

Sorry about the double post... I'm on Tylenol PM and am having a hard time being coherent lol

You should be taking Tylenol BM instead.

https://screen.yahoo.com/tylenol-bm-000000677.html

AJ

• Like 2

Samsung S5 beats the HTC M8 by 5db on B25. S5 sitting on -68 to -70 versus M8 sitting on -74 to -75.

The Nexus 5 sitting on -69 and LG2 sitting at -74 to -75. All test done at store using SignalCheck.

I will miss my M8. S5 RF is similar to Nexus 5 from my testing today at the Sprint store.

Signal difference when the signal is strong is not important. Signal difference when the signal is mediocre is what matters. I have done a lot of device signal testing in my day. And a 5dB difference with a strong signal does not always propagate across to a weak signal. And it may be completely different on B26 or B41.

In this case it may be true. Just throwing that out there though.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

Just an update, I went to the sprint store yesterday and swapped out my m8, I was mulling over the nexus 5 or getting off of spark phones altogether with the note 3, I ended up getting another m8 to give it another chance to see if it was the device or the network.

It was the device, where my original m8 would often never connect, the new m8 works perfectly fine.  If anyone else is having issues with an m8, go swap it out as you could have gotten a bad unit like I did.

• Like 3

Just an update, I went to the sprint store yesterday and swapped out my m8, I was mulling over the nexus 5 or getting off of spark phones altogether with the note 3, I ended up getting another m8 to give it another chance to see if it was the device or the network.

It was the device, where my original m8 would often never connect, the new m8 works perfectly fine.  If anyone else is having issues with an m8, go swap it out as you could have gotten a bad unit like I did.

I am glad that you were able to get things worked out.

I was at a Sprint store today and their M8 model had -86 db and mine had -97. Why would there be such a difference?

Its quite possible that the device in the store and yours were connected to two different towers.  If we are standing in the same spot it is perfectly normal for both of our devices to be connected to different towers.

• Like 1

Its quite possible that the device in the store and yours were connected to two different towers. If we are standing in the same spot it is perfectly normal for both of our devices to be connected to different towers.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks!

• Like 1

Wow HTC must have some serious quality control issues ! I wonder what is the cause of so many M8's having antenna/radio issues while others are fine. I am thinking it must be some kind of hardware defect like the way the antenna is connected to the radio. Reminds me of the Transformer Prime and pogo pins. Has anyone seen a teardown of the M8 yet ? 

Replacement is not needed. Simply do this until a software update fixes the robustness:

What do you mean by robustness?

1) Go to dialer and enter:[/font]

2) ##SCRTN# (##72786#)

3) Press MENU in top right corner

4) Select "Reset"

What do you mean by robustness?

It was the device, where my original m8 would often never connect, the new m8 works perfectly fine. If anyone else is having issues with an m8, go swap it out as you could have gotten a bad unit like I did.

I think I have a bad one too, won't connect at all thought it was network but I went to Charlotte NC for the Zmax 4 wide nationals and even it Gaffney SC and it wouldn't connect. I have to wait until Monday to go get mine swapped out since all the repair/service stores are closed on Sunday around me.

Sent from my HTC One M8