HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Are you using a case on your M8? Wondering if it's having a similar situation as the iPhone 4 with antennagate

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have a Otterbox Defender on this puppy

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A picture of the scratches I was talking about yesterday.  Looking down on the phone it is difficult to see but from an angle its pretty obvious, and it does this all the way around.  No scratches anywhere else on the phone.  Other than this though, everything is working perfectly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgsks2fepw4l594/2014-04-08%2006.45.52.jpg

What's everyone Hardware Version on the phone? My says 0005 and I've already update my phone to the latest software version this morning. I STILL cant make phone calls and I'm not getting phone calls. I KNOW that I'm in area of good service because my EVO 4G LTE wasn't like this AT ALL. I'm still getting those LTE EDM unable to connect notifications. 

This is absolutely ridiculous.  :angry:

A picture of the scratches I was talking about yesterday.  Looking down on the phone it is difficult to see but from an angle its pretty obvious, and it does this all the way around.  No scratches anywhere else on the phone.  Other than this though, everything is working perfectly.

Just checked mine and no scratches, smooth all the way around.

• Like 2

Hachsa, I had that same problem develop on my wife's M8 after using it for less than a week.  Sprint tried resetting the device including a master reset, wiping the phone and it still will not connect and make calls.  They are sending me a new replacement phone as they suspected an antenna problem.

No scratches like that on mine.

• Like 1

Is anyone running the phone in ART instead of Dalvik? If so, have you run into any issues?

Yes, I am.  I switched over after only a few days.  I haven't run into any issues.  Battery life seems a bit better, but take that with a grain of salt as I had only run in Dalvik for a few days.

When I switched over to ART and it rebooted, it took about a half hour to recompile all the installed apps, so be sure you have a good charge and be prepared to wait.  The processor must have been working overtime during the recompile as the back was warm to the touch afterwards.

• Like 1

I find the reports of signal strength being less than the Galaxy phones disappointing. I'd hoped HTC would have had better performance this time around. Glad it's at least better than the m7.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Picked up my M8 yesterday at a local Sprint corporate store. I had to ask them if they had them in stock, and they were in the back. The sales guy told me they weren't allowed to put them on display yet. So far I'm picking up much more LTE signal in my area, and the phone is lightning fast. Got my fiancee the M7, because she wanted a slightly smaller phone.

My only complaint so far is the weak vibration intensity compared to my M7. This feels faint in comparison. I also wish (as I have for several years) that HTC would go with a better notification light. The tiny one in the speaker grille sucks compared to the Samsung one IMO, and isn't customizable with LightFlow like the GS phones have.

How does the strength of the vibration compare to other phones? 

I find the reports of signal strength being less than the Galaxy phones disappointing. I'd hoped HTC would have had better performance this time around. Glad it's at least better than the m7.

I'm finding conflicting reports. Some say it's very good, other claim it's worse than their Galaxy devices. I say the only way to find out is to play with one at the store for yourself.

• Like 1

It vibrates good. Real good. It's got a good vibrator. Heh heh heh.

No seriously, strong vibration.

• Like 2

It's not bad, but I find myself noticing it less than I noticed it on my M7. It could have to do with the weight of the phone, which is noticeably heavier than last year's.

I'm concerned about BT performance now. I'm hoping the update fixed that. Has anyone else noticed lower than normal output levels via BT With this phone?

For every complaint you will find just as many compliments about its rf performance, also keep in mind that the majority of the complaints has more to do with "csfb" issues which can only be rectified on the network side.   There is no denying that no device on sprint right now can come close to matching the n5 when it comes to lte connectivity but the m8 has improved substantially compared to previous htc lte devices on sprint with the exception of the one max which I would say is about the same as the m8.  Also, I have done my own comparisons and from what I can tell there isn't much difference between my m8 and a gs4 when it comes to holding on to a faint signal.

I'm finding conflicting reports. Some say it's very good, other claim it's worse than their Galaxy devices. I say the only way to find out is to play with one at the store for yourself.

Exactly,  the only real way to tell is to buy it and test it out on your own.

Edit. OK I am sort of an idiot. Holding the m8 in portrait is a signal killer (if you hold it in left hand) when I stopped doing that, I gained 11db and am solidly better then the s3.

So update does seem to help, but holding phone for normal use degrades signal fast.

Holding it in the upright position, as if you were on a call is a signal killer? I could see holding it in landscape mode affecting the signal since the antennas are at the top, but not in portrait.

The Snapdragon 801 chipset supports LTE Cat 4. From the FCC documents, it appears the M8 supports up to 10mhz channels on LTE 800 and LTE 1900 and up to 20mhz channels on LTE 2600. The speeds Sprint can scale 20mhz channels up to would be 168mbps, with proper back haul and the M8 will support those speeds.

LTE 2600 is LTE-Advanced so yes, Sprint variant does have support.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Don't forget that the LTE being deployed on 25/2600MHz is TD-LTE. So that full 20MHz isn't used for download the whole time, and that brings top speeds down. Also, to my knowledge Sprint has not deployed ANY LTE-A yet. That won't begin until later this year. 

For every complaint you will find just as many compliments about its rf performance, also keep in mind that the majority of the complaints has more to do with "csfb" issues which can only be rectified on the network side.   There is no denying that no device on sprint right now can come close to matching the n5 when it comes to lte connectivity but the m8 has improved substantially compared to previous htc lte devices on sprint with the exception of the one max which I would say is about the same as the m8.  Also, I have done my own comparisons and from what I can tell there isn't much difference between my m8 and a gs4 when it comes to holding on to a faint signal.

Good to know, I've got one shipping in this week and look forward to testing it out vs my M7.  My house sits in between two Sprint towers that are less than a mile apart.  One of them officially doesn't cover my place with it's sectors due to the tilt of the antenna, but my device pulls a week LTE signal off it in the living room in a few places and jumps between to the two sites a lot.  I look forward to seeing what the M8 will do, or if it will latch on to a converted Clear Spark site, as we have about 50 of those running in the area now. 

Edited by k4ax

....still debating if I should update from my M7... There are some nice updates to the M8 which I like.

I live in SE Michigan area, does anyone know or used the M8 in this area and have any connectivity issues with 'cfsb'??

Holding it in the upright position, as if you were on a call is a signal killer? I could see holding it in landscape mode affecting the signal since the antennas are at the top, but not in portrait.

Don't forget that the LTE being deployed on 25/2600MHz is TD-LTE. So that full 20MHz isn't used for download the whole time, and that brings top speeds down. Also, to my knowledge Sprint has not deployed ANY LTE-A yet. That won't begin until later this year.

Yes, if I hold it in my left hand, like when I browse this forum with one hand, I loose several dB of signal strength. I found it odd too. If I put the phone on the table, straight up, 1 finger holding it at top, I get dB readings that are solid and identical to an s3 next to it in same position.

I also notice, when I take phone out of my clip and turn screen on, I gain 5 to 8 dB. For instance, I expect - 95 outside at work (based on s3). I take it off my clip and look, I see - 103. Now, if I hold it in will go to - 98 or 97, but hold it straight up with one finger I can get - 93 and even 90.

It's perplexing. I think it's rf is good, as long as I don't hold it on the bottom, like I am typing or one hand browsing.

....still debating if I should update from my M7... There are some nice updates to the M8 which I like.

I live in SE Michigan area, does anyone know or used the M8 in this area and have any connectivity issues with 'cfsb'??

You should be fine in SE Michigan. They fixed most of the legacy equipment in the Downriver area that created havoc for those with issues dropping calls. I travel between both sides of the state and have had very good service along the I-94 corridor since early Feb.

I'm waiting to get my M8, either gonna trade my G2 for one or sell my G2 and buy one. I played with one and it feels smoother than my G2 and snappier. Camera I can't call yet until I have one in my hands to play with. Only questions is when going from camera to video camera( in the app it makes a slight beeping noise, anyway to mute that?) I'm ready to get a M8 though.

Also how's the Defender case?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Edited by ghostkilla1388

Alright guys I picked up a gunmetal gray M8. In my are LTE is actively being deployed. I see my m8 go from full eHRPD to roaming and back multiple times a day. Is this a phone issue or cell site issue. Thanks

• Like 1

I'm waiting to get my M8, either gonna trade my G2 for one or sell my G2 and buy one. I played with one and it feels smoother than my G2 and snappier. Camera I can't call yet until I have one in my hands to play with. Only questions is when going from camera to video camera( in the app it makes a slight beeping noise, anyway to mute that?) I'm ready to get a M8 though. Also how's the Defender case? Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I got the commuter on mine and I like it a lot. It's pretty slim an sleek and keeps it very protected.

I got the commuter on mine and I like it a lot. It's pretty slim an sleek and keeps it very protected.

I'm also running a Commuter on mine, but want something thinner. I'm hoping their Symmetry series will fit that bill.