Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

Ok. The site id's are --------- and --------- these are in the north Denver area's in commerce city or Henderson. Both off of 104th. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks

Edited by lilotimz
N.O.

Ok. The site id's are --------- and --------- these are in the north Denver area's in commerce city or Henderson. Both off of 104th. Let me know if you need more info. Thanks

You should probably P.M. him the site I.D.s. Its easy to forget, but this is a public thread.

• Like 1

I have a issue when connecting to a couple of towers I suspect have ecsfb issues. I recently upgraded to the S4T and seem to have problems connecting to LTE where my Evo LTE had no problems connecting before( my wife has an Evo and also and has no problem connecting.) The real problem is when my S4T attempt to connect it looses data, then connects to EVDO and will NOT on its own no matter how long reconnect to LTE at any tower. It's like those towers stopped my BSR timer from scanning for LTE unless I toggle airplane or update profile. Now if I leave coverage area and drop to 3G and then drive back into a LTE area it connects fast to LTE with no problems. I've narrowed it down to 3 towers in my metro area so far so it only a problem if I'm in vicinity of them. Can a tower with ecsfb issues mess up the LTE timer or provision it so it will not scan for LTE? I'm in the Tampa market so it rare to have ecsfb issues. Btw I noticed that all the suspected towers have Band 41 on them and I noticed it seems to drop to 3G after briefly connecting to 41 most of the time. Thank u.

I have a issue when connecting to a couple of towers I suspect have ecsfb issues. I recently upgraded to the S4T and seem to have problems connecting to LTE where my Evo LTE had no problems connecting before( my wife has an Evo and also and has no problem connecting.) The real problem is when my S4T attempt to connect it looses data, then connects to EVDO and will NOT on its own no matter how long reconnect to LTE at any tower. It's like those towers stopped my BSR timer from scanning for LTE unless I toggle airplane or update profile. Now if I leave coverage area and drop to 3G and then drive back into a LTE area it connects fast to LTE with no problems. I've narrowed it down to 3 towers in my metro area so far so it only a problem if I'm in vicinity of them. Can a tower with ecsfb issues mess up the LTE timer or provision it so it will not scan for LTE? I'm in the Tampa market so it rare to have ecsfb issues. Btw I noticed that all the suspected towers have Band 41 on them and I noticed it seems to drop to 3G after briefly connecting to 41 most of the time. Thank u.

It is most likely the area you moved into doesn't have CSFB available. So it allows you to keep your LTE connection when you move out of CSFB. But as soon as you lose LTE, it will no longer let you reconnect to LTE until you reestablish a CSFB connection.

If you are in an area that doesn't have 3G accepted on the maps and only 4G, this could be the problem. Ericsson has eCSFB functioning on all their 3G accepted sites. On the 4G only sites, they are using a legacy CSFB network that isn't very good and often goes offline.

But even if you are in an area with 3G accepted and eCSFB is active, there still could be problems with CSFB working properly.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

It is most likely the area you moved into doesn't have CSFB available. So it allows you to keep your LTE connection when you move out of CSFB. But as soon as you lose LTE, it will no longer let you reconnect to LTE until you reestablish a CSFB connection.If you are in an area that doesn't have 3G accepted on the maps and only 4G, this could be the problem. Ericsson has eCSFB functioning on all their 3G accepted sites. On the 4G only sites, they are using a legacy CSFB network that isn't very good and often goes offline.But even if you are in an area with 3G accepted and eCSFB is active, there still could be problems with CSFB working properly.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

That would explain allot. 3 towers are 4G only and one is 3G/4G accepted. I'm might put a ticket in for the 3G/4G because I pass by that one several times a week. Thank you.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the status of cfsb upgrades in zip 18503-Scranton,pa? Still trying to figure out if s4T is worth the move at this time-thanks

Looks like the scranton area has all towers at least 3G complete, some 3G/4G and 3G/800, and one 3G/800/4G complete.  That should mean that eCSFB is fine, but I can't say for sure.

Another matter-is there another way to sponsor-I don't use PayPal

You don't have to have a paypal account to still send money to become a sponsor, I don't believe.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Okay idk if this had been covered but just kinda curious, would even prevent you from roaming and have lte? Just curious because sometimes ill roam and still have lte ( no idea how) lol.. but im guessing by the end of it lte 800 shouldnt have the same coverage as 1x 800. But sometimes even tho all my towers are 1x 800 accepted I have areas where I will roam but have lte.. faint but useable... which just confuses me.

And thats with band 25 1900 lte

Okay idk if this had been covered but just kinda curious, would even prevent you from roaming and have lte? Just curious because sometimes ill roam and still have lte ( no idea how) lol.. but im guessing by the end of it lte 800 shouldnt have the same coverage as 1x 800. But sometimes even tho all my towers are 1x 800 accepted I have areas where I will roam but have lte.. faint but useable... which just confuses me.

And thats with band 25 1900 lte

CDMA 800 will have greater range than LTE 800. But you will always have the ability to have Sprint LTE but roaming on 1x. Sites and sectors go down, and we are in a natural environment with tons of variables that can occur. Voice roaming while on Sprint native LTE will always happen to some extent until we have LTE only devices with voice over LTE networks in place.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Voice roaming while on Sprint native LTE will always happen to some extent until we have LTE only devices with voice over LTE networks in place.

That will continue to be true of SVLTE devices.  But considering that we are in the e/CSFB thread, it is important to note that single RF path devices will never encounter that odd situation of Sprint native LTE plus roaming CDMA1X.

AJ

• Like 2

That will continue to be true of SVLTE devices.  But considering that we are in the e/CSFB thread, it is important to note that single RF path devices will never encounter that odd situation of Sprint native LTE plus roaming CDMA1X.

AJ

Ahhh, yes.  Excellent point!

Robert

I've been in a situation where I'm on Sprint LTE with my N5. Then when the call comes in it connects to 1x roaming.

Sent from my Nexus 5

My understanding from the SignalCheck developer is that the Nexus 5 sometimes incorrectly displays roaming when connected to a voice call over 1x 800. It is not likely to my knowledge that your device would be able to get tunneled roaming packets through the Sprint LTE connection to know when a call is incoming.

My understanding from the SignalCheck developer is that the Nexus 5 sometimes incorrectly displays roaming when connected to a voice call over 1x 800. It is not likely to my knowledge that your device would be able to get tunneled roaming packets through the Sprint LTE connection to know when a call is incoming.

From what I've seen it happened. Doesn't happen often but on occasion in one spot at work.

Sent from my Nexus 5

From what I've seen it happened. Doesn't happen often but on occasion in one spot at work.Sent from my Nexus 5

This is what im curious about. Because at my friends house upstairs I have a solid -105 dbm signal of lte. Very usable. But I go anywhere from -95 to roaming on 1x even though the closest tower is 800 accepted. So im guessing with tri band phones this shouldnt be possible? Are any sprint roaming partners doing e csfb? Like us cellular? If I remember right vz iphone works like this right? I feel like ive read that somewhere lol.

e/CSFB roaming is supposed to be coming in the future. If it has already been implemented, I will be shocked.

AJ

• Like 1

From what I've seen it happened. Doesn't happen often but on occasion in one spot at work.

Sent from my Nexus 5

You might see the roaming indicator, but it's a glitch.. you are not actually roaming. I have seen it myself. I think it might have something to do with the fallback from LTE to 1xRTT happening a split second before the incoming call hits. The N5 might not be "realizing" what network it is on yet, for lack of a better word. As I mentioned before, the CDMA routines in the base Android code aren't entirely perfect for single-path devices like the N5. It appears that there are telephony functions where a constant 1X connection was expected (which was a fairly safe assumption until last fall).

-Mike

• Like 1

You might see the roaming indicator, but it's a glitch.. you are not actually roaming. I have seen it myself. I think it might have something to do with the fallback from LTE to 1xRTT happening a split second before the incoming call hits. The N5 might not be "realizing" what network it is on yet, for lack of a better word. As I mentioned before, the CDMA routines in the base Android code aren't entirely perfect for single-path devices like the N5. It appears that there are telephony functions where a constant 1X connection was expected (which was a fairly safe assumption until last fall).

-Mike

This is spot on. My N5 indicates roaming any time I fall back from LTE to cdma1x 800 to receive the call, but it is not actually logged as roaming. I was in a sprint store today asking about this. It was kind of funny watching the guy fumble around trying to figure it out. First he tried telling me it's because the phone was set to global, then my prl was out of date, then needing an updated profile. Ultimately he caved in and admitted he didn't know why it was doing it and handed me the phone back.

This is spot on. My N5 indicates roaming any time I fall back from LTE to cdma1x 800 to receive the call, but it is not actually logged as roaming. I was in a sprint store today asking about this. It was kind of funny watching the guy fumble around trying to figure it out. First he tried telling me it's because the phone was set to global, then my prl was out of date, then needing an updated profile. Ultimately he caved in and admitted he didn't know why it was doing it and handed me the phone back.

That was kind of a mean thing to do. You should not rattle the monkeys' cage. Otherwise, do not be surprised when they throw feces at you.

AJ

• Like 8