Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

I live in a San Antonio suburb and I find the inability of my LG G2 to connect to LTE while my wife's GS3 has no issues doing so maddening.

Is there a way to find out the status of the towers around zip code 78108?

That was kind of a mean thing to do. You should not rattle the monkeys' cage. Otherwise, do not be surprised when they throw feces at you.

AJ

It's true, its what we do. Edited by ZDuncanZ

I live in a San Antonio suburb and I find the inability of my LG G2 to connect to LTE while my wife's GS3 has no issues doing so maddening.

Is there a way to find out the status of the towers around zip code 78108?

The issue is CSFB.  Your Triband device only has one radio in it and needs CSFB to be active in order to stay connected to LTE.  Your wife's GS3 has two radios in it and does not need CSFB.  Ericsson is installing eCSFB now at sites around San Antonio.  When the sites you connect to have Ericsson eCSFB working on it, your device will be able to access LTE without any problems.

Until then, a Triband device can only connect to LTE on a non CSFB site by going into LTE Only mode.  You can learn how to go into LTE Only mode with a G2 by going to the G2 users thread.  But in LTE Only mode, your phone will not make or receive phone calls.  But you could do that in those times when your 3G data will not work at all.

Robert

• Like 1

The issue is CSFB.  Your Triband device only has one radio in it and needs CSFB to be active in order to stay connected to LTE.  Your wife's GS3 has two radios in it and does not need CSFB.  Ericsson is installing eCSFB now at sites around San Antonio.  When the sites you connect to have Ericsson eCSFB working on it, your device will be able to access LTE without any problems.

Until then, a Triband device can only connect to LTE on a non CSFB site by going into LTE Only mode.  You can learn how to go into LTE Only mode with a G2 by going to the G2 users thread.  But in LTE Only mode, your phone will not make or receive phone calls.  But you could do that in those times when your 3G data will not work at all.

Robert

That's what I figured.

How can I find out what sites have eCSFB installed and when sites that don't will have it installed?

That's what I figured.

How can I find out what sites have eCSFB installed and when sites that don't will have it installed?

All that info is in the sponsor section(as much as is available to us I believe).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That's what I figured.

In the Sponsor section, you can tell by looking at the NV Sites Complete map and seeing the sites in your market with 3G upgrades accepted.  For more info about how to become a Sponsor, visit this link:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert

• Like 1

The few sites in the Tampa market that have CSFB issues I was able to find a temporary workaround by disabling Band 41 instead of going into LTE only mode. It seems that the problems are old Clear towers not integrated into the system. Every time I would encounter the towers it would knock me off 4G and eCSFB so I would stay on EVDO until I toggled airplane.

Does anyone know the status of cfsb upgrades in zip 44139 & 44022?

Switching over to Nexus 5, my iPhone is showing LTE. Saw that legacy is Motorola, and NV is samsung but can't tell if all upgrades are complete...

Thank you, all

Does anyone know the status of cfsb upgrades in zip 44139 & 44022?

Switching over to Nexus 5, my iPhone is showing LTE. Saw that legacy is Motorola, and NV is samsung but can't tell if all upgrades are complete...

Thank you, all

If you only recently saw 4G in that area, chances are the software upgrade for eCSFB hasn't occurred yet. Give it a few days and you should see LTE on your N5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So I think ABQ may be having an eCSFB issue.  My nexus 5, when the radio is cycled, will connect to lte and then quickly kick me off to 3g.  The sites were just recently upgraded to lte and are 3g accepted (Ericsson).  My wifes iphone 5 has no problems parking on lte.  Do you all think this could be that eCSFB has not been enabled on these sites?  I thought from here on out, especially if a site was 3g accepted, that new sites wouldn't have eCSFB issues.  Maybe I am wrong? 

So I think ABQ may be having an eCSFB issue. My nexus 5, when the radio is cycled, will connect to lte and then quickly kick me off to 3g. The sites were just recently upgraded to lte and are 3g accepted (Ericsson). My wifes iphone 5 has no problems parking on lte. Do you all think this could be that eCSFB has not been enabled on these sites? I thought from here on out, especially if a site was 3g accepted, that new sites wouldn't have eCSFB issues. Maybe I am wrong?

Isn't ABQ an Ericsson market?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Yes. I think I mentioned that. Why do you ask?

Sent from my Nexus 5

I just noticed that. Oops! Ericsson still appears to be playing games in some markets still.

I just noticed that. Oops! Ericsson still appears to be playing games in some markets still.

Those sorry suckers. Oh well...guess there isn't much I can do about it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Those sorry suckers. Oh well...guess there isn't much I can do about it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Hopefully it won't last long though and you will be able to use LTE with no issues just like your wife's iPhone.

The games have been increasing some in the Tampa market as they activate more Band 41 as allot don't have CSFB available.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

In Endwell, NY at home, I am in a 4G/3G accepted territory. With the N5 set to Global and parked on B25 LTE, I cannot place calls without it failing. Receiving calls also fails and locks up the phone. No issues connecting to LTE whatsoever from eHRPD. Incoming/outgoing calls are fine when the phone is forced to 3G mode.

This is an eCSFB issue, correct? All towers have been 3G/4G accepted going on 3-5 months now. I'm wondering if I should submit a ticket, or just wait until these sites go 1x800 and perhaps eCSFB gets tweaked.

In Endwell, NY at home, I am in a 4G/3G accepted territory. With the N5 set to Global and parked on B25 LTE, I cannot place calls without it failing. Receiving calls also fails and locks up the phone. No issues connecting to LTE whatsoever from eHRPD. Incoming/outgoing calls are fine when the phone is forced to 3G mode.

This is an eCSFB issue, correct? All towers have been 3G/4G accepted going on 3-5 months now. I'm wondering if I should submit a ticket, or just wait until these sites go 1x800 and perhaps eCSFB gets tweaked.

It could be, but with CSFB issues the tower should kick you off on LTE. Does anyone else in your area have issues making of receiving calls?

Interesting. LTE is solid, always has been. Hands off between sites fine too.

Every one of my friends in this city with a Nexus 5 has the same exact issue when set to Global mode. (3 other people)

Calls work fine when I go down to Bethlehem, PA, it flips over to 1xRTT or 800 perfectly off of LTE in Global mode. Receives fine too.

Honestly I've noticed almost each triband device struggle when set to global, not just voice even 3g data. Poor thing only has the one antenna. However I've also noticed the g2 and flex often revert back to global after prl and profile updates.

I haven't had any issues using global over LTE(preferred). O.o except at my home where I don't get LTE :P

The site in the rear of my home was fine for a while and now it seems to be having eCSFB issues. No more LTE on my M8 and calls are constantly dropping.

Could be temporary testing. When did start, and since it's a new phone have you tested it in other locations?

• Like 1

Could be temporary testing. When did start, and since it's a new phone have you tested it in other locations?

In other locations, my phone connects to LTE pretty easily. I haven't really placed any calls, but texts aren't always going through.