Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

I have found LTE signal availability within SignalCheck on unregistered devices to vary by device.. YMMV.

My unregistered EVO LTE (previously active on Sprint) will not connect to LTE or show any LTE information.

My unregistered Galaxy Victory always shows all LTE information.

When inserting an unregistered T-Mobile SIM in my N5, it connects to LTE and shows all LTE data for about 10 seconds before dropping down to HSPA+, then will not connect to LTE again without a full reboot.

When inserting an unregistered AT&T SIM in my N5, it never connects to LTE or shows any LTE data. In fact, I don't think it shows any connections at all.

-Mike

My unregistered Verizon Droid Bionic shows ALL information including LTE.  My unregistered Sprint LG G2 shows 3G stuff only.  I guess it all depends on the electronic architecture of the device itself.  None-the-less even on unregistered devices Signal Check is an invaluable diagnostic tool. 

• Like 1

So I have another question about this.  Prior to the upgrade, I was always able to get LTE at my work location.  Since they upgraded the site, my S5 jumps between 3g and LTE a lot.  Sometimes it is B26 LTE, sometimes only 3g.  Is this part of the optimization process and is it normal?

So I have another question about this. Prior to the upgrade, I was always able to get LTE at my work location. Since they upgraded the site, my S5 jumps between 3g and LTE a lot. Sometimes it is B26 LTE, sometimes only 3g. Is this part of the optimization process and is it normal?

Sounds more like Ericsson messing up the implementation of csfb when they're activating band 26. They'll eventually sort it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5

So I have another question about this.  Prior to the upgrade, I was always able to get LTE at my work location.  Since they upgraded the site, my S5 jumps between 3g and LTE a lot.  Sometimes it is B26 LTE, sometimes only 3g.  Is this part of the optimization process and is it normal?

I've found that to be on par with Ericsson's deployments until full optimization. Ericsson tends to aim band 26 LTE at the ground when they first launch it. It causes you to fall back to 3G because your device isn't expecting the band 26 signal to be worse than the band 25 signal, and since the downtilt is screwy, there are gaps.

Sounds more like Ericsson messing up the implementation of csfb when they're activating band 26. They'll eventually sort it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Is it true that the csfb software has problems swiching from B26 to B41. Some research has found that some csfb software has problems switching from a lower frequency to a higher one. There are a couple time when driving here in Tampa switching from band 26 to band 41 it drops to 3G and stays unless I toggle airplane.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Is it true that the csfb software has problems swiching from B26 to B41. Some research has found that some csfb software has problems switching from a lower frequency to a higher one. There are a couple time when driving here in Tampa switching from band 26 to band 41 it drops to 3G and stays unless I toggle airplane.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

No that is misinformation on the highest levels. What may have happened is Ericsson pushed Rel 8 CSFB to their markets which are compatible with their older legacy equipment. Band 41 requires eCSFB rel 9.

Or it can just be Ericsson being Ericsson and fking things up as usual.

Again this seems to be the experience in Ericsson land when they roll out band 26.

S4 mini

Cincinnati, OH 45239 and Fairfield, OH 45014

LTE connectivity is a tease. Occasionally it turns on for a few seconds then goes back to 3G.

It's old news but I didn't see anyone post about my area yet.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once a tower has been upgraded, does CSFB generally work reliably?  It makes me a little nervous to think I'm relying on the data network to get a call or a text if I have low signal.

At my condo, LTE cuts in/out (though maybe that would be less likely on B26).

I currently have a Note II so don't have personal experience, but thinking about how this works when the time to upgrade comes in the fall.

Austin TX, 78751

The nearest tower has been "fully upgraded" as confirmed by a SocialCare Rep on Sprint.com's Community Forums.

My LG G2, which I just purchased and activated 3 days ago, has absolutely no LTE service.    The sprint.com rep said they are looking into the issue and it appeared it was something happening in general with the LG G2.

My concern is call quality appears to have suffered as well as I have had 2 calls dropped already and another call was very sketchy. 

Previously I had the EVO 4G LTE and had consistently decent LTE coverage in this same exact location.

post-3822-0-48016500-1402197486_thumb.png

Edited by islstl

Austin TX, 78751

The nearest tower has been "fully upgraded" as confirmed by a SocialCare Rep on Sprint.com's Community Forums.

My LG G2, which I just purchased and activated 3 days ago, has absolutely no LTE service. The sprint.com rep said they are looking into the issue and it appeared it was something happening in general with the LG G2.

My concern is call quality appears to have suffered as well as I have had 2 calls dropped already and another call was very sketchy.

Previously I had the EVO 4G LTE and had consistently decent LTE coverage.

It probably hasn't been updated yet and thus doesn't have eCSFB. In Ericson markets like Austin it takes up to 14 days after the tower is accepted for the update to be pushed and eCSFB to start working.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It probably hasn't been updated yet and thus doesn't have eCSFB. In Ericson markets like Austin it takes up to 14 days after the tower is accepted for the update to be pushed and eCSFB to start working.

Here is the last message sent by the SocialCare rep as of last night:

"That tower is fully upgraded with Spark and LTE."

He wants me to PM my number and pin code so he can take a look at the tower access and dropped calls, which I just did.

I'll let you know what they respond back with.

Edited by islstl

Austin TX, 78751

My LG G2, which I just purchased and activated 3 days ago, has absolutely no LTE service.    The sprint.com rep said they are looking into the issue and it appeared it was something happening in general with the LG G2.

Previously I had the EVO 4G LTE and had consistently decent LTE coverage in this same exact location.

Also make sure the sim card is registered on your sprint account. I noticed you also have a sim card error in the screenshot. 

• Like 3

Also make sure the sim card is registered on your sprint account. I noticed you also have a sim card error in the screenshot.

My lock screen also says No SIM - Sprint....which I could not understand since Sprint phones do not have a SIM card.

Can you expound on this issue?

Sprint phones do have a Sim. And if not registered correctly to your account you won't get any lte. Are you sure you even have a sprint Sim in there.

Sprint phones do have a Sim. And if not registered correctly to your account you won't get any lte. Are you sure you even have a sprint Sim in there.

I just looked up the instructions on locating the SIM card on this phone and I don't have the proper tool to check it.   So I will be going into a local Sprint store to see if they can resolve the issue.  It's either unseated or missing.

Thanks everyone for your help.  This definitely appears to be the issue causing my problems.

One last question, is there any info on the SIM card that is present under the "About Phone" section of the settings app?  About Phone/Status has a lot of info there, wasn't sure if maybe it was as simple as giving some info to Sprint from that screen vs having to take the phone in to a Sprint store.

Ok, I just downloaded and ran the app called "Phone and SIM info".  It does appear to be "absent".   So either unseated or totally missing.  I guess I'll find out later today.

post-3822-0-93138600-1402229947_thumb.png

Edited by islstl

Looks like you have no sim. Where did you buy your phone? When you buy from sprint it comes with a Sim?

from a power seller off ebay....it was in like new condition with original box, instruction booklets and charger, but did not have the SIM card tool or apparently the SIM card as well.