Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

We know that C-Spire customers in Mississippi already roam on Sprint LTE. But Sprint customers have yet to be allowed to roam on C-Spire LTE. So it may happen that nTelos customers end up on Sprint LTE networks before Sprint customers end up on nTelos networks. We won't likely know until it happens.

My understanding is that C-Spire customers only have access to Sprint LTE outside of C-Spire's native footprint. Notice the giant black hole in 4G coverage around Memphis, for example, where C-Spire has licenses and deployed CDMA + EVDO but no LTE: http://www.cspire.com/coverage/#data. You'll note that the advertised LTE coverage only corresponds with Sprint LTE outside that area to the north, west, and east, while to the south you can see where C-Spire has rolled out LTE on its AWS or PCS (E-UTRAN band 4 or 2) spectrum.

Similarly, I'd imagine that nTelos (or Sprint) won't allow its customers to use Sprint/Shentel LTE in its licensed area (possibly to avoid FCC trouble over anticompetitive behavior in markets where they are competitors rather than partners), so they have to deploy their own LTE for their merry band of customers.

• Like 3

So, I was inspired to chat with nTelos support again today, and, lo and behold!, live chat is no longer available!  Hmmmm . . . 

At this point, it seems like keeping hope alive involves an ICU and respiratory support!

I live in columbus but I am heading to West Virginia to do some white water rafting this month. Can anyone give me some insight as to the sprint service in the Charleston/Oak Hill/Fayetteville area? Can I expect to get a little LTE in those areas or just 3G?

I live in columbus but I am heading to West Virginia to do some white water rafting this month. Can anyone give me some insight as to the sprint service in the Charleston/Oak Hill/Fayetteville area? Can I expect to get a little LTE in those areas or just 3G?

LTE in ntelos? You would be the first. You will be lucky if you pick up decent 3g. I mostly get 1x or no signal in ntelos. On us19 there are spots with good 3g not many mainly in small towns.

a5udyga5.jpg was looking at this tower and noticed this isn't a normal antenna. The tower has 2 normal NV antenna's on the other sides but this side has a wider squarish antenna. Only had my phone on me so that as good an image I could get. If I come this way again I'll be sure to take my DSLR. I'm also 99% certain there's an ALU RRU attached to it.

I picked up my One (M7) and saw a "service update complete" message, but I have no idea what it was. I tried switching from CDMA Only to Automatic and CDMA/LTE, but it seems to have had no impact on my phone's unhappiness with eHRPD.

Anyone else notice this update?

Damn it.....every time this thread gets updated I get a notification from tap-a-talk and each time I click on it hoping I will get some news that crap-telos has opened up LTE. Every time I'm disappointed. Isnt that the definition of insane? Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results...... No wait, maybe that's some other sickness.......

• Like 4

Damn it.....every time this thread gets updated I get a notification from tap-a-talk and each time I click on it hoping I will get some news that crap-telos has opened up LTE. Every time I'm disappointed. Isnt that the definition of insane? Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results...... No wait, maybe that's some other sickness.......

I do the same thing.  I just rushed in here too!  And I don't even live anywhere near the service area...

Robert

• Like 6

Getting tired of waiting on Sprint for WV upgades. About ready to switch carriers...

I have talked to nTelos reps as well and their responses say Sprint is doing the upgrades for my area...

I don't think many people will try to sell you on sprint for your area. Some believe since you live in ntelos network roaming area you should be on ntelos. With limited devices I understand if that is not an option. Some people understand the network is terrible there and with no light at the end of the tunnel so they don't recommend you hold on to sprint.

As far as the ntelos reps telling you sprint is doing the upgrades. According to the roaming agreement sprint can't build towers unless they ask ntelos to cover an area and ntelos says no. They may be waiting on ALU equipment but it's been almost 3 months since the agreement.

Sprint needs to tell ntelos start opening up your 4g or we're going in another direction.

• Like 1

I don't think many people will try to sell you on sprint for your area. Some believe since you live in ntelos network roaming area you should be on ntelos. With limited devices I understand if that is not an option. Some people understand the network is terrible there and with no light at the end of the tunnel so they don't recommend you hold on to sprint.

As far as the ntelos reps telling you sprint is doing the upgrades. According to the roaming agreement sprint can't build towers unless they ask ntelos to cover an area and ntelos says no. They may be waiting on ALU equipment but it's been almost 3 months since the agreement.

Sprint needs to tell ntelos start opening up your 4g or we're going in another direction.

I hear you there. Its really aggravating waiting on it. I really don't like nTelos, I had them before and they suck.... Hopefully Sprint and nTelos gets on the ball.

Hey guys check this out

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2014/08/dish-sprint-begin-fixed-td-lte-tests-rural-areas-soon.html

Let me know what you think!

Sent from my xt1056 using Tapatalk.

There is a discussion going on here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6259-Sprint,-Dish-will-start-fixed-TD-LTE-tests-within-a-month

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk