Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I don't want to rain on a parade, and to be fair the agreement wasn't in place then, but I had been told by several reps back in November that C'ville would see LTE in Feb.

I hate to say it but I just don't believe they are given any real information. I WANT to be wrong, believe me.

A sprint retail rep attends our church. If I remember I'll ask her if she has any news.

I can understand this sentiment. It's going to happen. But we just don't know when. Could be tomorrow, later this Fall or even next year before Sprint customers can access the nTelos LTE network.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It would be strongly in the interests of Sprint and any other carrier with iPhones to get this done in time for the iPhone 6. That upgrade cycle is going to reportedly be a gigantic one and will probably be an opportunity to snatch customers from one carrier to another. I'm actually pretty content with there being a deal -- my own personal decision about immediate upgrade versus waiting a couple months will have a lot to do with when they flip the switch on Sprint LTE in Danville. Now that I know it IS coming, the when is less important. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, chiming in to confirm the rollout of nTelos LTE in Richmond, VA. Went in to the store today with my friend who has nTelos to get her a SIM card for her iPhone 5 and saw that all the LTE phones said LTE in their status bars (iPhones, Moto X, etc). I'll try and grab a pic later.

One thing to note though is that they weren't able to giver her a SIM card because her plan type was incompatible. She has $99 value plan for 2 lines, and the rep informed us that a switch to the nControl plan was required ($140 for the same services!) :/ The rep also told me that the Richmond area will be served by nTelos LTE not Sprint, and that most of the area is already covered (but speeds will be fluctuating between fast and slow as they're still finishing the tower upgrade). I'm not sure how true that the bit about nTelos being the sole RIchmond provider is given that Sprint has been slowly rolling out here for some time, with reports of some Band 41 towers even being installed.

I think I have more confirmation re: July, too.  We just bought a house in Blacksburg which is actually using the same tower that I primarily used before (on top of a hotel off 460), but signal is horrid there.  I can only get signal in the garage or outside if that.  Most of the time I am roaming or just have an 'x'.  This is still in town limits, too.  Several Verizon people who have come here get 2-3 bars in the depths of the house.

I called Sprint retentions expecting to be sent an Airrave, but they actually did not even bring that up.  They said I have been using this one tower primarily, and it is being "upgraded" as we speak and should be completed by July 1st.  They also put in a network monitoring ticket for my phone for 2-3 days and will let me know the results by today or tomorrow.  I think the only thing that could fix my issue is 800SMR, so hopefully that's included.  1900 isn't working too well in this neighborhood unless they somehow repointed those antennae.

Another note: I also was surprised they "found" me on the network since I've called before from home (about that no data with EHRPd thing), and they have had trouble even locating me here since these aren't Sprint towers.

So maybe things aren't so bleak after all. Maybe sprint finally has some insight for nTelos' tower work and can actually provide info on it now? And maybe access for us isn't too far off.

I'm hoping when I leave for Hilton Head at the end of the month, I come back and it's all on and ready to go for us. (Wishful Thinking)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, chiming in to confirm the rollout of nTelos LTE in Richmond, VA. Went in to the store today with my friend who has nTelos to get her a SIM card for her iPhone 5 and saw that all the LTE phones said LTE in their status bars (iPhones, Moto X, etc). I'll try and grab a pic later.

One thing to note though is that they weren't able to giver her a SIM card because her plan type was incompatible. She has $99 value plan for 2 lines, and the rep informed us that a switch to the nControl plan was required ($140 for the same services!) :/ The rep also told me that the Richmond area will be served by nTelos LTE not Sprint, and that most of the area is already covered (but speeds will be fluctuating between fast and slow as they're still finishing the tower upgrade). I'm not sure how true that the bit about nTelos being the sole RIchmond provider is given that Sprint has been slowly rolling out here for some time, with reports of some Band 41 towers even being installed.

It's possible nTelos is rolling out LTE in Richmond right now. It's also possible that these nTelos LTE devices were roaming on Sprint LTE. I would trust nTelos store reps about as much as Sprint. Not very much.

If you can get pictures of any of these nTelos LTE device's LTE Engineering screen, that would help us figure that out. Thanks.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

It would be sorta BS if nTelos devices were roaming on the Sprint Network now but we couldn't roam on theirs.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. But it seems conceivable that one company's network/account setup may be easier/faster to get going than the other. It's also possible if they were roaming on Sprint LTE that the network was just opened up for testing purposes in one area. Lots of possibilities.

What's the best way for me to monitor for any rollout of LTE here in nTelos-land?

I have and use Signal Check Pro regularly to monitor, and have the LTE alert set to "on".  I know it from hearing it on previous travels.

Should I also check the LTE engineering screens, or is that redundant to having SC let me  know?

Thanks!

What's the best way for me to monitor for any rollout of LTE here in nTelos-land?

I have and use Signal Check Pro regularly to monitor, and have the LTE alert set to "on". I know it from hearing it on previous travels.

Should I also check the LTE engineering screens, or is that redundant to having SC let me know?

Thanks!

Checking Engineering Screens is only useful after you get an LTE Signal. So while you're in wait and see mode, just monitoring Signal Check Pro is sufficient.

I called Sprint retentions expecting to be sent an Airrave, but they actually did not even bring that up. They said I have been using this one tower primarily, and it is being "upgraded" as we speak and should be completed by July 1st. They also put in a network monitoring ticket for my phone for 2-3 days and will let me know the results by today or tomorrow. I think the only thing that could fix my issue is 800SMR, so hopefully that's included. 1900 isn't working too well in this neighborhood unless they somehow repointed those antennae.

For what it's worth, unless things have changed recently you can't get an Airave in nTelos-land. I tried when I was living in Blacksburg and it was no go. In fact even if you got one somehow, it'd refuse to work due to your location (the GPS locks it out; you have to be within 35km as the crow flies of a Sprint native tower due to the FCC's rules on femtocells). Unless they've worked something out with nTelos in the meantime, of course.

You could get a third party signal booster though, like one from the Wilson line.

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed an improvement in Charlottesville? Speeds seem better, but M8 just got a firmware update so I don't know if its that or not.

Network was unavailable around 4:30 am this morning like it was last week. Was unable to connect on any device.

I've not noticed anything much, certainly nothing dramatic. I'm waiting until late July to allow myself any serious hopefulness or disappointment.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

I'm in Blacksburg and just got this text. Good news?

SprintFreeMsg: Faster data speeds and stronger voice service will be yours soon. See how this will help you at http://sprint.us/networkupdate5

I hope so.  However, I have heard of Sprint sending generic NV texts/messages to nTelos-land customers in the past.

Robert

Received same message in Charlottesville, VA today.

Interesting because thats where I'm at and didn't receive any message about it. 

• Like 1