Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Think I'm finally done. Years of waiting for either Wimax or LTE with no real progress has made other carriers look more and more attractive. 3 lines, and I believe none are going to be renewed. 

I laughed when a rep told me August, just tired of waiting. Will be end of 2017 before Charlottesville sees LTE from sprint. Not waiting that long. 

Think I'm finally done. Years of waiting for either Wimax or LTE with no real progress has made other carriers look more and more attractive. 3 lines, and I believe none are going to be renewed. 

I laughed when a rep told me August, just tired of waiting. Will be end of 2017 before Charlottesville sees LTE from sprint. Not waiting that long. 

I'm not sure why you're blaming Sprint when Charlottesville is a Ntelos market.

The blame is on ntelos for being a shitty affiliate and stalling deploying new equipment till the very end.

A certain Shentel next door to ntelos got their stuff together and is one of the best deployed markets for Sprint. No reason Ntelos couldn't do the same except the fact that they're shortsighted and incompetent. 

• Like 2

You have a point. 

It's frustrating to keep waiting and waiting with no hard news from either other than "an agreement" has been reached when asked. 

I agree.

Another carrier might best suit your needs. No reason to waste time and money over something when another is available. Do your research and get something that's best for you. 

I'm not sure why you're blaming Sprint when Charlottesville is a Ntelos market.

Sprint does need to shoulder some of the blame here. They allowed this pukey little runt called nTelos to bully them and ruin their reputation in a large portion of the mid Atlantic market. Do you think Verizon or ATT would've put up with that? Heck no.......

What they should've done was force nTelos to maintain it's network at the same rate as NV.

• Like 3

What they should've done was force nTelos to maintain it's network at the same rate as NV.

If sprint was in charge of nTelos market there would not be lte until next year. NTelos market would be in the same category as Western Pennsylvania market all gmo no lte until everyone else has it started. I had a little hope since someone else other than sprint would be given an opportunity to get lte.

You have a point. 

It's frustrating to keep waiting and waiting with no hard news from either other than "an agreement" has been reached when asked. 

Be very careful if you switch carriers in your area.  I do not live there and am only repeating what somebody told me.  This somebody told me that ALL the carriers seem to have bad service in your area. I may switch too if I were in your area, but I sure would research things out totally before I made  a decision.   DO NOT assume a sales rep in a store will be honest and tell you that they have poor coverage in your area.  DO NOT assume any coverage maps are correct.  Be careful or you will jump from one bad situation into another and be locked into a contract.

It just takes a simple look at Sensorly to see your coverage, and in C'ville, I'm sure Verizon is fantastic as it is here in Blacksburg and rural SWVA where I'm getting XLTE (50/10 speeds).  AT&T even looks much improved from when I last had them in 2010.  My wife and I bought a house *in the town limits* (not boonies) of Blacksburg back in June, and the coverage was even worse that we constantly roamed on US Cellular (wow, yet another company that has better service here than Ntelos).  Sprint retentions let us out of our contracts with no ETF after we returned our phones, and it has been smooth sailing since then.  I never used a ton of data with Sprint as it was always around 300-400MB a month.  How could I with the pitiful coverage around here?  Even with the much faster Verizon, I'm still at about 800MB of my 1GB plan that I bought, and that was with a pretty data-heavy trip (for me) to Baltimore.  I wanted to stay with Sprint, but hopefully Ntelos will be out of the picture before I have to think about switching again.  I still vouch for them for my friend who is still uneasy about them up in Winchester (Shentel country) and for others who live in less ignored areas, and its mostly to do with his older non-triband phone.  And by the way, the Roanoke, VA TV market is a top 100 television market, so its not exactly a barren low-density area here as I'm sure that excuse has been used.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be a Sprint sub in nTelos territory at this point. It basically is just a place that provides EVDO roaming. Just like I wouldn't be a Sprint sub in Swiftel areas either.

If nTelos improves their network sufficiently and Sprint/nTelos open up access appropriately, then I can understand you considering maybe coming back. But nTelos is not a Sprint affiliate. They just have a really comprehensive native usage agreement. And if you come back, it maybe even make more sense to be an nTelos sub.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I only stuck it out with Sprint in Blacksburg because I had two lines on my plan (one not in Blacksburg) and wasn't expecting to be there more than a year or so. I'd have probably bailed too (although probably not for nTelos - why reward them for failing to live up to their agreement with Sprint?).

Jumping ship to Verizon in May/June when my contract is over. I don't have $300 for an ETF. AT&T is coverage king in WV but that also means EVERYONE has them as a carrier and therefore data isn't the best. Maybe something will happen before then with nTelos but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jumping ship to Verizon in May/June when my contract is over. I don't have $300 for an ETF. AT&T is coverage king in WV but that also means EVERYONE has them as a carrier and therefore data isn't the best. Maybe something will happen before then with nTelos but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn't work for Shentel I would be using Verizon as well.

Careful on that as the phone is missing LTE bands 2 and 5.

That would be a problem in a place like my area where there are a lot of counties needing those 2 bands.

Robert

Talked to the reps on phone said we should start seeing 4g in Roanoke Virginia in Sept they got 3 towers there upgrading right now we should have it fully functional by Oct it takes 30 days for it to go through the process. Then went into store at Valley View talked to the reps they said the exact same thing couldn't believe it .So today I called about the new day plan and low and behold that rep told me we start seeing 4g pop up in September. You know glad I stuck it out cause I was going to tmobile or us cellular next month.

• Like 1

If sprint was in charge of nTelos market there would not be lte until next year. NTelos market would be in the same category as Western Pennsylvania market all gmo no lte until everyone else has it started. I had a little hope since someone else other than sprint would be given an opportunity to get lte.

What makes you think that? How do you know how Sprint would have handled the area if it was a native Sprint market?

What makes you think that? How do you know how Sprint would have handled the area if it was a native Sprint market?

Western pa market and ntelos market are very similar. If you travel through them you would not know the difference. Both have cities maxing out at 100,000 both very rural with lot of hills. I don't see a reason they are significantly different other than ntelos includes the national quiet zone. Remember western pa has Erie PA that connects Cleveland and Buffalo and State College, Pa (Penn State) twice the city size of Morgantown, WV (WVU). I guess you can say no one knows the future but these areas are extremely similar. I don't live in either but travel through both regularly if one was updated and the other all GMOs I would have alot of questions as to what makes ntelos more important.

Western pa market and ntelos market are very similar. If you travel through them you would not know the difference. Both have cities maxing out at 100,000 both very rural with lot of hills. I don't see a reason they are significantly different other than ntelos includes the national quiet zone. Remember western pa has Erie PA that connects Cleveland and Buffalo and State College, Pa (Penn State) twice the city size of Morgantown, WV (WVU). I guess you can say no one knows the future but these areas are extremely similar. I don't live in either but travel through both regularly if one was updated and the other all GMOs I would have alot of questions as to what makes ntelos more important.

Also describes the Shentel market, and the Central PA market, and the East Kentucky market, and the West Virginia market. Don't make such broad assumptions. No one knows how the fictional Sprint Corporate market in place of nTelos would have been upgraded.

A lot of it would have to do with the type of equipment they originally deployed and what their market share was. Western PA is full of really old equipment in an area with really low market share in a place they inherited from a poorly run affiliate. Sprint would never have built out that coverage on their own. And they even probably daydream about getting rid of much of it now. Sprint may have had a modern network in nTelos land with a good market share worth upgrading early. And since it's all just a fantasy, I'll just say they would have.

Other than Erie and possibly State College, the W-PA Sprint market is extremely rural and minor. Expensive to get backhaul to. When you think about all the nTelos Sprint areas, there are some good size cities like Roanoke, Charlottesville, Lynchburg, Blacksburg/Christiansburg, Charleston, Huntington/Tri Cities, Morgantown, Danville, Martinsville/Collinsville.

It's a much bigger and much more important market than W-PA in every metric. I don't think there is any comparison, really. Geographically and statistically, the Western PA market is more like the Inland Northwest market. Spread long and thin across a lot of rural hills and mountains with one metro area, and a couple of lesser cities. Also run by Samsung. But being fully upgraded and lots of LTE already deployed.

The Western PA market is just an anomaly because there is no market just like it. And it was the only one fully GMO'd. Even Roanoke couldn't be so lucky.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

It was Sprint in Canton oh 1 888 211 4727 This is actually the first time 3 reps on this line in store actually said the same exact thing They could actually see the tower being upgrade I was getting tired of the same old run around I was going to take my 5 lines and go elsewhere was tired of waiting for 4g The reps said there turning on 4g starting In Sept and it should be fully functional in 30 days.