Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Just left Sprint store. Rep swore LTE by end of August for c'Ville. Said received an email.

Ugh, I'm counting down to calling Sprint retentions' bluff after they said "upgrades should be complete on the tower I used the most by July 1st".

Sorry for the lack of details, I was posting while at.a red light.

He claims its "official" and this came in the form of an email. I would have asked to just see it but knew I'd be shut down. I started laughing and he became very serious.

I told him I had heard all this before (albeit the email is new) and he swore it was coming.

I think I believe solely because I WANT to believe.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying LTE since last Friday, both in Charleston SC and Hilton Head Island. It's been amazing to actually have a phone I can use, rather than a glorified iPod touch I can make phone calls on. I plan on going to the Beckley Sprint store and seeing what random date they give me for the LTE launch when I get back July 5th. Hopefully it's sooner since it's a market that's already launched & a real date not some BS date to hold us off for another month or so. And hopefully nTelos is smart enough to start rolling out B26 because I've been using it a majority of the time here and it's great! It's also pretty necessary given the terrain of nTelos's footprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shawneyboy123

It was not this bad even during the school year... The last several weeks the network in Blacksburg has been... Not really spotty, just slow. Ever since I got here three years ago, I was getting better speeds than in Richmond. The upgrades down there improved things in the river city greatly. Come on nTelos... Fix yoself!

http://www.ntelos.com/network?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media-internal&utm_campaign=4G-LTE&utm_content=release&utm_term=post

They finally put a website up where 4g lte is available, now what about us sprint customers?

Notice how the site says "available in PORTIONS of these areas".   Does not mean full coverage in those areas.

• Like 1

3rd or 4th time asking with no hint of a response, but does anyone know when the Huntington/Ashland area will be receiving 4G LTE, I understand that no one has given me an answer, but I'm about fed up with Sprint because even their customer service lies consistently.

3rd or 4th time asking with no hint of a response, but does anyone know when the Huntington/Ashland area will be receiving 4G LTE, I understand that no one has given me an answer, but I'm about fed up with Sprint because even their customer service lies consistently.

No one outside of ntelos could know what ntelos is going to do. If sprint reps are giving you dates for ntelos towers they are making stuff up and lying to you. We don't even know when sprint sites will get lte. Sprint has to wait for backhaul providers to lay fiber. Then sprint would have to send someone out to hook the fiber to the cabinet.
  • Like 1

Good afternoon and thank you for contacting nTelos Wireless, Mr. Dooley!  nTelos is in the process of launching 4G LTE services in select markets and plans to continue to upgrade our markets throughout 2014.  Our expectation is all markets within 2 years,but a set market and time frame is not available at this time.  I do apologize I cannot give you a specific date.  If I may be of further assistance, please emailcustomerfirst@ntelos.com or call toll free877.468.3567.

I tried, got what I expected. I especially love how he got my last name wrong.

I passed by Waynesboro on I-64 this evening, and no 4G. At least I was able to switch from CDMA Only to Automatic and not lose data. Oddly, when I do that, data still works when I'm back in my home area.

In Lynchburg and surrounding areas my phone will often switch to eHRPD. I spoke with a man that was actually working on a cell tower in Roanoke. He told me sprint supplied ntelos with a fleet of 2.5ghz antennas that was to be put up in Roanoke before the start of fall. When asked if he knew anything on Lynchburg he said Lynchburg was ahead of Roanoke and will have operating LTE by July end.

post-40213-0-37708400-1405180116_thumb.png

Edited by Boost Happy
  • Like 4

Yes, and when that happens to me in nTelos land, I lose data connection, as evidenced by the "Mobile Data: Unregistered" message in your screenshot.

(When I do have a functioning data connection and also on Wi-Fi, it reads "Mobile Data: Inactive".)

This is what I got just now in Roanoke. I see that my "Provider" does not say Ntelos (or Sprint) I don't know if this is my phone acting screwy or if Im getting some sort of false reading.

post-33397-0-96991300-1405482425_thumb.png

I tried to set up WiFi calling on my wife's GS5 using our home network, but it gave me a Network connection error. I wondered if that were because we're in nTelos land without native Sprint service.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks!

So Marion county wv (fairmont) is supposedly being upgraded to 4g lte by either sprint or ntelos. I'm guessing ntelos. Both sprint and ntelos have told me that towers are being upgraded the next few weeks after I experienced no data for 4 hours yesterday. Anyone else experience that or been told that?

So Marion county wv (fairmont) is supposedly being upgraded to 4g lte by either sprint or ntelos. I'm guessing ntelos. Both sprint and ntelos have told me that towers are being upgraded the next few weeks after I experienced no data for 4 hours yesterday. Anyone else experience that or been told that?

Better hope its Sprint because only god knows when nTelos will open up the LTE network to us Sprint customers. Since Sprint has only miniscule native WV coverage (parkersburg and wheeling) I think we are all SOL in Mon, Marion, and Harrison counties.