Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Sigh.. I'll quote the relevant parts for you guys..

Neal is the S4GRU for the other carriers...

Yeah, I saw that, but it still reads like some kind of code to me. Some sounds like really bad news for Sprint, some sounded like bad news for nTelos subscribers and not so much for Sprint.

If they use Sprint's frequencies and not their own (is that even possible?), that sounds like it's OK for us.

Would someone have the patience to do the tech translation?

Thanks!

David

So.... I understood most of that (I think) but some parts were fuzzy. Is it just more bad news that we aren't getting any LTE at all or is it saying that we may get LTE soon but it's going to be crap?

You're going to get LTE but rather than doing a full Network Vision style upgrade, they're going to just take out the old nTelos carrier cards and put Sprint carrier cards in. Speeds up deployment but because they are not adding RRH'S, or using fiber backhaul, the network will be short in terms of coverage and speeds. Bonded T1's and T3's aren't going to be able to provide those insane peak speeds that come with things like Spark.

• Like 1

You're going to get LTE but rather than doing a full Network Vision style upgrade, they're going to just take out the old nTelos carrier cards and put Sprint carrier cards in. Speeds up deployment but because they are not adding RRH'S, or using fiber backhaul, the network will be short in terms of coverage and speeds. Bonded T1's and T3's aren't going to be able to provide those insane peak speeds that come with things like Spark.

Are they doing this now like as we speak and allowing us to use it or is this like their plan for like months down the road?

• 2 weeks later...

Well since the forum appears to have gone quiet allow me to break the silence. today i called the following ntelos stores in Roanoke VA: Valley View, Williamson Road, and Melrose. I asked about when we should be receiving 4g lte and was surprised to hear that both Valley View and Williamson Road stores telling me late December/early January 2015 with the Melrose store associate just saying 4G will be launched "soon" but she failed to elaborate on that so hopefully it's just around the corner now but i guess time will tell. If what above is in fact true then hopefully we will start to see ntelos replacing their carrier cards with sprint ones as lilotimz

stated above. In my opinion though, i"m pretty sure they were just told to say that to potential customers being that the holiday season is getting closer but one can hope right?

Edited by GBtopgear
  • Like 3

I thought tower upgrade would be great . Until today when I got the email stating call sprint we recently noticed usage on your account that is in violation of our terms and agreement. Needless to say I called the number they gave it and they informed me that I could not use the HDMI cable to stream movies from my phone to TV if I continued they would terminate my account.

For the past three I have paid for the unlimited my way on three phones and now that I have a little speed they tell me they are going to cut me off so my unlimited data is not unlimited. I used 40g last billing period

If you used 40GB be prepared to get kicked even with 3 people that is over 13 GB per person. 

Anyone know what sprints Average Data Revenue Yield per user (ARDRY) is now? In 2009 sprint was paying ntelos $.59/MB  maybe a $.25/MB now? If it is $.25/MB 90% of that goes to ntelos at 40GB or 40960MB that adds up fast.

If you were in sprint territory they would not care but beckley is ntelos territory. They can't afford  your usage so they will be looking for any excuse to kick you they will.

• Like 1

Unlimited data is for use on your smartphone only. Streaming to other devices is prohibited for unlimited data. It has been that way for a long time. You don't deserve more than what you pay for. You paid for unlimited data to be used on your smartphone only.

People come up with these grand schemes of internet cord cutting and using their wireless device, without checking to see if that's allowed. Well, it's not. Unless you just use the data staring at your smartphone screen.

• Like 8

If you used 40GB be prepared to get kicked even with 3 people that is over 13 GB per person. 

Anyone know what sprints Average Data Revenue Yield per user (ARDRY) is now? In 2009 sprint was paying ntelos $.59/MB  maybe a $.25/MB now? If it is $.25/MB 90% of that goes to ntelos at 40GB or 40960MB that adds up fast.

If you were in sprint territory they would not care but beckley is ntelos territory. They can't afford  your usage so they will be looking for any excuse to kick you they will.

I have heard of people in sprint land being kicked due to hdmi tv streaming as well. In my personal opinion, I think that the magic number is 20GB before they start taking a harder look at your usage but 40GB on 3g? that's impressive! around here ntelos/sprint is having a good day when my 3g can run around 1Mbps. most days its more like 0.5Mbps :( common LTE we need you!!!

Edited by GBtopgear
  • Like 2

For what it's worth:

Data went down around 9:30-10 last night on allour devices. I ddidn't have the energy to call Customer Care so went to bed. 

Right before I got a Sim card error about being incompatible, I cleared it and went to sleep.

This morning I woke up, data is fine. However I had another notification that 4G setting were incompatible with my Sim and to contact customer care. Wish I had screen shot it but was half asleep. I just rebooted and gone.

Don't know if it means anything, just thought I'd share. 

For what it's worth:

Data went down around 9:30-10 last night on allour devices. I ddidn't have the energy to call Customer Care so went to bed.

Right before I got a Sim card error about being incompatible, I cleared it and went to sleep.

This morning I woke up, data is fine. However I had another notification that 4G setting were incompatible with my Sim and to contact customer care. Wish I had screen shot it but was half asleep. I just rebooted and gone.

Don't know if it means anything, just thought I'd share.

Same here, no data last night signal check was saying the same thing it says when I can connect to eHRPD while powering on my phone "mobile data not registered". Anyway I haven't seen any changes since data has came back so it looks like just another typical outage...... I sure hope that LTE roaming agreement U.S. cellular is working on is with Sprint, because at this rate Verizon/AT$T will have 5G before nTelos can get 4G up and running for us Sprint customers.

Also some up towards Lexington, VA. Close to (just southwest) of where I first spotted that B26 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looks like nTelos is FINALLY throwing the switch in a couple of places.

I've told my friends in Charlottesville that right now I cannot in good faith recommend Sprint since they are the only top 4 carrier lacking LTE there. That said, T-Mobile's LTE is spotty and I find that in general I get a better more consistent experience on Sprint even over nTelos EV-DO (usually 1Mbps down give or take .5Mbps) than over T-Mobile LTE/HSPA+.

Fingers crossed that this is a harbinger of a wider LTE rollout in nTelos-land!

• Like 1

I never make it to Lewisburg... It's so close like 40 minutes. And that spot near Nitro outside of Saint Albans never connected to me when I went through there a couple weeks ago.

The Nitro report was a long time ago.  These new ones could be something completely different.  Hopefully someone will go through Lewisburg or Lexington soon and verify these blips.

• Like 1

The Nitro report was a long time ago. These new ones could be something completely different. Hopefully someone will go through Lewisburg or Lexington soon and verify these blips.

That's what I was thinking. Hopefully if it's real they start working here in Beckley & the other places it's launched as well. I'd be happy to be the test guinea pig for LTE!
  • Like 2