Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

I'm still subscribed to this thread and I still have friends here so I wanted to give an update on my switch to Cricket from Sprint. I'm 1 week into my new service. I switched my 2 $50 Sero 500 lines over to the 10GB $55 Cricket plan. Since this is prepaid I end up saving a few bucks.

Anyway, so far I've enjoyed the faster speeds and better coverage. I picked up a Galaxy S5 Active so a lot of the new experience includes a nice new phone so that's also added to the experience. I've been using sensory quite a lot and remapping the same areas I mapped with sprint. Also running a lot of speed tests. I'm lucky enough to have my entire town covered with AT&T LTE so my data speeds are consistently around 8mb down (capped by cricket) and 8mb-16mb up. So I'm very happy with that. It's not blazing fast t-mobile speeds but plenty enough for everything I do. In comparison my sprint throughput had turned dismall. <0.5mb both directions. Call quality is vastly improved but I'm 100% positive that's due to upgrading to the s5 from an Evo 4G LTE. Porting was zero problem and took all of 2 minutes.

I got an email from Sprints new CEO and he wanted to contact me to see why I left. (Automated message of course).

I'm pretty happy right now. Kind of weird having my first GSM phone and having the freedom to swap out devices if I want. May pick up a beater phone to take with me when I'm doing dirty nasty field work. But I'm liking the Active right now.

I'm sure I'll continue to keep an eye on this thread so I will know when WV finally gets sprint LTE. I things ever progress in nTelos land I'm not against coming back. As long as the network is good and the prices are fair. Right not there is no contest, faster speeds, better coverage, cheaper price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A

Edited by blackwaterstout
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that nTelos will not open up their own LTE network to Sprint customers ever.  I think they are waiting until they start deploying the additional network overlay of Sprint spectrum.  And then only allow Sprint customers to use those Sprint LTE bands when they are available.  I think this is where we're headed.  I may be completely wrong.  Just my feelings based on how this is not progressing.

My desperately optimistic reply to you, Robert: Sprint and nTelos DID sign the agreement which included Sprint access to their 4G network, correct? Are you saying there's a BS way around honoring it?

We know that Sprint and nTelos signed a LTE network agreement.  We don't know if that agreement is to allow Sprint customers on the existing and expanding nTelos LTE network or just on the new overlay network nTelos is also building for Sprint that uses Sprint spectrum.  We always assumed it was both, but It could just be for the latter.  Since nTelos only has a limited capability 5MHz network, it may be in their best interest to not let Sprint customers overwhelm it now and wait for the addition of Sprint spectrum to supplement it.

I have a feeling that nTelos will not open up their own LTE network to Sprint customers ever. I think they are waiting until they start deploying the additional network overlay of Sprint spectrum. And then only allow Sprint customers to use those Sprint LTE bands when they are available. I think this is where we're headed. I may be completely wrong. Just my feelings based on how this is not progressing.

That would be horrible. nTelos can't even get their own LTE network built in a reasonable timeframe. May be an extremely long time before they start taking advantage of Sprints additional spectrum. Upgrades must be in place by 2017. That may be the case.

That would be horrible. nTelos can't even get their own LTE network built in a reasonable timeframe. May be an extremely long time before they start taking advantage of Sprints additional spectrum. Upgrades must be in place by 2017. That may be the case.

The build out of Sprint's spectrum is supposed to start Q4-2014 some time, if memory serves.  It may be that nTelos is waiting to really get moving on the rest of their build out and do them in tandem.

We know that Sprint and nTelos signed a LTE network agreement.  We don't know if that agreement is to allow Sprint customers on the existing and expanding nTelos LTE network or just on the new overlay network nTelos is also building for Sprint that uses Sprint spectrum.  We always assumed it was both, but It could just be for the latter.  Since nTelos only has a limited capability 5MHz network, it may be in their best interest to not let Sprint customers overwhelm it now and wait for the addition of Sprint spectrum to supplement it.

In the agreement http://ir.ntelos.com/Cache/c23743792.html they are to use both ntelos and sprint spectrum.(at the end slide 5)

I find interesting also in the agreement they talk about service both pcs and lte ntelos has to offer sprint customer service no worse than their own customers. I take that to mean if a ntelos has LTE a sprint customer is supposed to have LTE of equal value.

The Agreement provides that the PCS Services and LTE Services the NTELOS Entities provide to Sprint customers will be of a quality and clarity no worse than what the NTELOS Entities provide to their retail customers in similar rural markets. Except for the LTE upgrade requirements described above, including possible future feature upgrades, the NTLEOS Entities are not required under the Agreement to make future investments in any subsequent high speed data transfer technology or any other significant non-PCS Services or non-LTE Services-related network upgrades.

Pursuant to the Agreement, Sprint will provide its 800 MHz, 1.9 GHz and 2.5 GHz spectrum to the Alliances in the Market in order to enhance the PCS Services and LTE Services.

• Like 1

I sure hope it wont be pushed that far back but at this point who knows... if it is all I can say is sprint will have fewer customers than ever around here. Like someone said above all sprint really wants here is to have a native network for travelers passing through. At this point sprint should absolutely not be selling service in this area until things improve.

You know there was a time not too long ago when everyone was brave and traveled the country without electronics in their pockets.

The scene you describe sounds like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie! :o

I may stop to sleep tonight in Charleston, WV before resuming my drive in the morning.

More (non?)-info from yesterday. We were having issues with family and friends who are out of state not being able to call us. They were getting the "number no longer in service" message. So I stopped in the Sprint franchise repair store and was told it was a network problem. She did the ##72786# reset on my phone. (Didn't help) So, I asked about whether this was due to nTelos network upgrades. With with wry smile, she actually told me that we would have Sprint towers in our area. (Thanks to s4gru, I knew she was absolutely making this up.)

So I then went to the corporate store to see my buddy there. According to him, an nTelos switch was out and they're working on it. He has a friend in an nTelos call center (yeah, I know) who says that Sprint techs are working alongside nTelos crews in the network upgrades. He said that they're having to switch out the legacy Motorola hardware, and that "they've learned their lesson" from Richmond's eCSFB issues. According to them, the timeline is 3G NV here in October, and 4G rollout is November.

More hope, little substance . . .

• Like 3

Although most of us have probably given up hope, I did notice that with the new map updates the "Voice Coverage" no longer says "Off Network Roaming" it shows the different levels of expected signal strength like in a real Sprint market.

• Like 2

Although most of us have probably given up hope, I did notice that with the new map updates the "Voice Coverage" no longer says "Off Network Roaming" it shows the different levels of expected signal strength like in a real Sprint market.

I don't know if that means anything, but boy does it make me feel better, lets hope its just the start of change in the nTelos region.

• Like 1

FYI, I was hiking Humpback Rocks (in Blue Ridge, south of Waynesboro, southeast of Stuart's Draft, and southwest of Charlottesville (nTelos territory). I had Sprint B26 LTE near around the summit and on the western side of the mountain. The times that the LTE dropped the phone would revert to nTelos 1xRTT. I'm not sure if the LTE signal was also originating from an nTelos site or from a Shentel site such as the one in Grottoes, north of Waynesboro, although IMHO Band 26 seems to really propagate well in the mountains.

• Like 2

FYI, I was hiking Humpback Rocks (in Blue Ridge, south of Waynesboro, southeast of Stuart's Draft, and southwest of Charlottesville (nTelos territory). I had Sprint B26 LTE near around the summit and on the western side of the mountain. The times that the LTE dropped the phone would revert to nTelos 1xRTT. I'm not sure if the LTE signal was also originating from an nTelos site or from a Shentel site such as the one in Grottoes, north of Waynesboro, although IMHO Band 26 seems to really propagate well in the mountains.

The Shentel site in Grottoes is 15-20 miles away probably.  It is not totally unreasonable to assume you connected to the Shentel Grottoes site.  You were up high in a probable low noise area.  What little signal you had did not have any competition from any other signals.

At 15-20 miles, the signal is going to be extremely weak, hence you dropped to nTelos1X occasionally. I suspect that you probably could not actually use the Band 26 connection and if you tried, it probably would have crashed.

The Shentel site in Grottoes is 15-20 miles away probably.  It is not totally unreasonable to assume you connected to the Shentel Grottoes site.  You were up high in a probable low noise area.  What little signal you had did not have any competition from any other signals.

At 15-20 miles, the signal is going to be extremely weak, hence you dropped to nTelos1X occasionally. I suspect that you probably could not actually use the Band 26 connection and if you tried, it probably would have crashed.

I've seen 1x800 punch through 15-20 miles into nTelos territory, with line-of-sight (i.e. no hills between) but if B26 is able to manage the same, color me impressed.

That said, the connection was totally usable (much more so than the nTelos 1xRTT PCS signal was).

Also keep in mind that nTelos is headquartered in Waynesboro so their coverage is generally OKish in the area.

Lastly, I've had terrific results with Shentel B26 in Shenendoah Natl Park which is covered by Shentel from the west... basically as durable (and sometimes more durable) than my EVDO PCS signals ever have been up there.

You could use an app like signal detector, LTE discovery, or SignalCheck Pro to look at the GCI to tell if it was shentel or not. If people connect to LTE in ntelos it would be great to get a screenshot of the engineering screen and one of the above apps to see what ntelos is doing. 

If anyone wants to have some insight into ntelos ''deployment'' read through the lounge chat transcript in the lounge thread. Good info regarding the shit ntelos is doing.

TLDR: yall fk'd

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Saw someone working on the tower at corner of I-64 and Fifth St (exit 120, I believe) today. I have no idea which towers are nTelos, but I'm hoping it was NV work afoot! I also happened to pass a Lumos utility truck and saw a Shentel truck, too.

:-D

Saw someone working on the tower at corner of I-64 and Fifth St (exit 120, I believe) today. I have no idea which towers are nTelos, but I'm hoping it was NV work afoot! I also happened to pass a Lumos utility truck and saw a Shentel truck, too.

:-D

At what time did youvsee this happening? I was in that area between 515 and 545pm and didnt see it. But I could of missed it thought while going threw that area.

Sigh.. I'll quote the relevant parts for you guys..

Neal is the S4GRU for the other carriers...

Conan Kudo

oho... nTelos won't even be using its own spectrum anymore

Conan Kudo

nTelos makes me sick

Conan Kudo
they're not even doing a proper overlay build

Conan Kudo

nTelos plans on pulling out their channel cards and just loading in new ones configured for Sprint spectrum

Conan Kudo

no RRHs

Conan Kudo

no fiber upgrades

S4GRU

Neal...now that expalins why the existing nTelos network has not opened up to Sprint yet

Conan Kudo

the nTelos network will functionally shut down piece by piece over the next few months and be switched over

Conan Kudo

that's going to be a horrible experience for their customers

S4GRU

Neal...it;s crazy

Conan Kudo

worst part is that they're still using the nTelos PLMN instead of the Sprint one

S4GRU

For Sprint customers, the coverage will just appear. But for nTelos customers, it will be a nightmare

Conan Kudo

and there's no MOCN going on, so it won't be treated as native either

lilotimz

@conan they're using existing backhaul? I.e. multiple bonded T1 or T3

Conan Kudo

yes lilotimz cheap like USCC

Conan Kudo

no fiber upgrades

lilotimz

sites won't go above 10 mbps

Conan Kudo

no RRHs no new gear 

S4GRU

Even Sprint rejected that for GMO sites

lilotimz

should've just let shentel overbuild

S4GRU Out in the middle of nowhere

lilotimz yeah it's crazy

Conan Kudo

the gear they installed 2.5 years ago from ALU is going to serve everything

lilotimz

and they crash and burn easily

Conan Kudo

of course they do

TDM lines aren't designed to be used that way

Sigh.. I'll quote the relevant parts for you guys..

Neal is the S4GRU for the other carriers...

Thanks for going through the document I had a hard time reading it. It felt like I was rereading the same thing over and over again.

The only questions I would have is what is the $150-$175 million that ntelos said they were going to spend go to. I know it is expensive to work on a site but they have about 1500 sites so about $100,000 per site just to change data cards? Also the CFO said they were going to use ntelos spectrum and sprint spectrum not just sprint spectrum.

http://ir.ntelos.com/Cache/25514835.PDF?Y=&O=PDF&D=&FID=25514835&T=&OSID=9&IID=4110676

The spectrum, again, is important. We'll operate on our 1.9, but also take advantage of the agreement we have with Sprint to operate with their 800, 1.9, and 2.5, again having, when finished, one of the most robust networks you can find certainly in that part of the country.

The incremental investment for this is somewhere between $150 million and $175 million. We expect that to be completed no later than May 2017, although it is in our interest to have that pulled up earlier because the more robust the network is, the more data that goes over that network, both for our customers on the retail side, as well as with Sprint, and that would be a good thing for us.

Maybe neal can come over from the tmobile thread and lend us a hand on understanding ntelos. Ntelos makes most of us here sick so we have that in common. 

I am still of the mind they should drop the no overbuild clause and let us cellular and shentel compete to cover the area. I also hope 800 LTE reaches over I-68 and covers Morgantown from Pittsburgh Market. It's a stretch but I have seen 1x800 and Pittsburgh sites 1x1900 on I-68.