Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

even if Roanoke gets 4G from ntelos this September it wont be useful until they lets us sprint customers use their LTE and im sure the moment that happens our friends in west virginia and waynesboro/staunton will be sure to let us know but one thing that is for sure is if there still isnt 4G that i can access here in the NRV by the time my contract is up im gone (most likely to AT$T maybe tmobile if they can upgrade all their edge areas by that time) 

Edited by GBtopgear

Shentel is just a monster not sure I understand how they did what they did. Which is why before the agreement between sprint and ntelos I was hoping they would take over I81 which is where alot of those large towns you mentioned are located. I still hope sprint drops ntelos and if they don't want to build out over it I hope they use us cellular which is who I roam on when I turn on roaming if I need data and I believe us cellular has a lot of it covered with lte. But to think sprint would have LTE everywhere now there if they started the overbuild when the agreement ended and became a sprint only market. hmm really?

If ntelos market was built by sprint originally there is a good chance ntelos would be split in two like the original Virginia to WV an western VA. Western Va may have spots of LTE due to population centers like Roanoke. But I still doubt it will be any launched cities or even more than 25 accepted lte site for the full 853 ntelos towers. Looking at the other market threads people here would still be complaining why doesn't sprint have LTE in my "x" city.

It's a much bigger and much more important market than W-PA in every metric.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I highly doubt this but no use arguing.

Just to lighten the mood a little. Williamsport PA is about the same size as all those small towns you mentioned. I guess it will be that size for only a couple more days. Little league and their 300,000+ a day visitors.

Why would the sprint reps say we will be able to use 4g in 30 days it makes no sense to tell me where going to be able to use 4g and we don't and we're talking about the Canton Ohio then go to see about my upgrade and ask the rep at Valley View he said the exact same thing as Canton Ohio so heck it was sprint people update the towers maybe there waiting on the 165 foot tower over by the Star that they being fighting Roanoke council about the people tried to ge not to get it by Roanoke council members passed the bill they could build it.

Why would the sprint reps say we will be able to use 4g in 30 days it makes no sense to tell me where going to be able to use 4g and we don't and we're talking about the Canton Ohio then go to see about my upgrade and ask the rep at Valley View he said the exact same thing as Canton Ohio so heck it was sprint people update the towers maybe there waiting on the 165 foot tower over by the Star that they being fighting Roanoke council about the people tried to ge not to get it by Roanoke council members passed the bill they could build it.

No punctuation, no understanding what was written.

• Like 4

I think he is referring to this :

http://m.roanoke.com/news/local/roanoke/roanoke-city-council-approves-franklin-road-cell-tower/article_e6606649-b04e-56fc-9d4d-0e1834ee9931.html?mode=jqm

http://theroanokestar.com/2014/04/09/vote-for-controversial-cell-phone-tower-put-on-hold/

Worth noting that the tower is initially going to be used by AT & T and NTelos.  I say this, because, at first, I thought he was talking about a Sprint Native tower.  But it is an Ntelos tower.  The project was approved one month ago.  Can't imagine that construction and Setup will be done in such short time.

Edited by mrancier
  • Like 1

Also reps misunderstand what they're looking at, or sometimes even lie. Asking specific network questions of people with no understanding produces mixed and mostly inaccurate results.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had an ntelos phone to play with the other day in Roanoke. The phone staied on EHARPD but never switched to 4g. The business rep said that as dar as she knew that Roanome would be turned up for ntelos by tje end of this month and for Sprint by the end of the year.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

im tired of all the whining. No point in whining and threatening to leave. You have  to do what you have to do. Sprint is not always the best choice for people for cell phones, we know this. Instead of threatening to leave, do it!  You are more then welcome to keep an eye on progress in your area for sprint and if the times comes, you can always switch back.   To me, it seems like you made your username on here to complain and *** about sprint and nTelos . Remember, this site has NO AFFILIATION with sprint

• Like 4

http://www.cnet.com/news/sprint-extends-4g-footprint-through-additional-roaming-deals/ more carriers to the list of nothing. Sigh. If only there was some walk to this talk.

Yeah, because having completely different networks rebuilt to allow Sprint roaming and getting handsets designed to be compatible with multiple networks across the country happens overnight. You comment is 98% troll, 1% frustration, and 1% lack of knowledge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah, because having completely different networks rebuilt to allow Sprint roaming and getting handsets designed to be compatible with multiple networks across the country happens overnight. You comment is 98% troll, 1% frustration, and 1% lack of knowledge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Networks such as nTelos are already deployed on band 2 LTE. Which is only a subset of band 25. Therefore, your comment was 50% troll & 50% lack of knowledge.

Try reading the thread next time? :D

• Like 2

And to further elaborate on my response: never did I expect it to happen overnight. These deals have been in place since May for nTelos & June for many others. Many of them already have a network deployed on bands supported by Sprint phones.

I get your frustration, but tone it down. You don't know the reason for the delay. nTelos may not want to host Sprint until they also start deploying some Sprint spectrum. They may fear that Sprint customers will bring too much traffic to their weak/low capacity LTE network.

Sprint nor nTelos announced any timelines. We all just jumped to conclusions that nTelos would open up its small existing LTE network that is operating and do so quickly.

• Like 2

I bet the biggest issue with turning on LTE in nTelos land for Sprint customers is eCSFB and Triband devices. nTelos may not have a compatible CSFB network for Sprint currently. So they may be working through those bugs still.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had 2 questions.

One any guesses on how long is 'in a timely manner' from the sprint ntelos agreement.

In accordance with the terms of the Agreement, the NTELOS Entities are required to upgrade their network in the Market to 4G long term evolution technology (“LTE”), with such upgrade to be substantially complete by May 2017. Failure by the NTELOS Entities to build out the LTE network in the Market in a timely fashion would constitute an event of default and give Sprint the right to terminate the Agreement. Sprint may construct its own cell sites or take such other action to provide geographic coverage in a portion of the Market served by the NTELOS Entities in which their network does not offer coverage and Sprint has requested that the NTELOS Entities provide coverage and the NTELOS Entities decline.

My guess is 6 months from deal so Nov/Dec.

Second how does the no overbuild clause complicate any us cellular either roaming or buyout?

Would they allow roaming on us cellular frequency? Could ntelos be an issue as to why there is no rrpp deal with us cellular? Maybe waiting for 'in a timely manner' to end for either ntelos starts a build out or some kind of us cellular deal?

• Like 2

Are you on sprint or nTelos? And secondly what part of 77/64? Near beckley?

I am on Sprint.

I am not sure about which part of I-77. It was when there were hills/mountains on one or both sides of the highway. On my drive back south, there seemed to be about 45 minutes of no service.

I am on Sprint.

I am not sure about which part of I-77. It was when there were hills/mountains on one or both sides of the highway. On my drive back south, there seemed to be about 45 minutes of no service.

Sounds like between Beckley Charleston. There's absolutely no service between the tolls. I just went to Charleston Saturday on that route and didn't pick up any LTE...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hills/mountains on either side describes 99% of the state.... But no service for 45 minutes sounds like between Beckley Charleston. There's absolutely no service between the tolls not even roaming on USC. I just went to Charleston Saturday on that route and didn't pick up any LTE so may have just been an anomaly...