LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

Thanks. If you can get any error messages or logcat output to me, I can see if there's a way around it.. unless LG completely removed the screen, it's probably just a matter of permissions or creatively accessing it. Worth a try, at least.

-Mike

Don't have time for a logcat right now, but here is the message is gives.

http://imgur.com/da5Dqb8

Unfortunately, the LG G2 just does not appear suited to wireless network observation and testing.  So, when my delivery arrives tomorrow, I will be returning it unopened to Best Buy.  Hands down, the Nexus 5 wins the duel.

AJ

Yeah, I wish I would have known this ahead of time. 

Thanks. If you can get any error messages or logcat output to me, I can see if there's a way around it.. unless LG completely removed the screen, it's probably just a matter of permissions or creatively accessing it. Worth a try, at least.

Don't have time for a logcat right now, but here is the message is gives.

Yes, I can concur from my experience that the Testing.apk still seems to be present.  The dialer code apparently bypasses the menu and dumps right into the Phone Info screen -- you can see it visible in the background.  But then the block on the internal app takes over.  I imagine that it will be a pain in the ass to circumvent the block.  Unlocking the bootloader and gaining root access are more than enough headache for me already, so I will be taking a pass on all LG non Nexus handsets for the foreseeable future.

AJ

Yes, I can concur from my experience that the Testing.apk still seems to be present.  The dialer code apparently bypasses the menu and dumps right into the Phone Info screen -- you can see it visible in the background.  But then the block on the internal app takes over.  I imagine that it will be a pain in the ass to circumvent the block.  Unlocking the bootloader and gaining root access are more than enough headache for me already, so I will be taking a pass on all LG non Nexus handsets for the foreseeable future.

AJ

I had the Nexus 5 in my shopping cart on Google Play, then went with G2 at the last minute.  Live and learn!

Owning this phone is like dating a high maintenance model - lots of drama to go with all that fun and beauty. The G2 is undeniably awesome, especially if you aren't having the LTE issues. I have no idea how long I'll be learning new things about this phone.

In order to clean up the UI, can someone post the apps and widgets that were loaded after activation, which can be safely removed from the phone without rooting?

I was reading through the paragraph explanation in the connections optimizer screen, and twice it mentions the fact that it remembers where you've previously gotten wifi/Sprint 4G signal and will automatically try to reconnect to the network once you enter the area again. Is this true? Meaning, if you've previously connected to a 4G tower, would it forego the scan time and automatically bump the phone back to 4G? That could explain how driving to work for the first time resulted in no 4G and loss of service between handoffs but on the way back it held onto 4G and never lost service again.

Yes, that is part of it. The phone stores a list of sites it was connected to, so when it finds those sites again, it supposedly kicks up the scan. I've seen this work with my ONE. Sit for 10 minutes before finding LTE. Next time, only sit for 30 seconds to a minute. 

So far, I have 4G Lte signals in more fringe areas but the signal is noticeably lower in the strong areas.

Battery life is fantastic! Speed is quick and I really like the screen. Charges quickly, too.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I was reading through the paragraph explanation in the connections optimizer screen, and twice it mentions the fact that it remembers where you've previously gotten wifi/Sprint 4G signal and will automatically try to reconnect to the network once you enter the area again. Is this true? Meaning, if you've previously connected to a 4G tower, would it forego the scan time and automatically bump the phone back to 4G? That could explain how driving to work for the first time resulted in no 4G and loss of service between handoffs but on the way back it held onto 4G and never lost service again.

The connection optimizer is for wifi offloading and was used for wimax offloading as well which why it still says 4g on it. It basically tracks which wifi hotspots you connected to and will reconnect you to them automatically. It can be dangerous due to rogue misleading hotspots out in the wild used to capture information which why the app has the disclaimer.

The rescan timers and LTE basestation file is used by the baseband of the phone to know when to rescan for LTE. No app is able to make this call. It would be nice though so we wouldn't have to toggle airplane mode.

My opinion is turn the option off, unfortunately though I found the app still runs, captures wifi data, location data, stores it on the phone, and also makes httprequests to some servers. I didn't like that on my device so I removed it totally. It seemed too spyware'ish to me. Plus I prefer to manage my own public wifi connection usage since I use a vpn for that.

• Like 1

The connection optimizer is for wifi offloading and was used for wimax offloading as well which why it still says 4g on it. It basically tracks which wifi hotspots you connected to and will reconnect you to them automatically. It can be dangerous due to rogue misleading hotspots out in the wild used to capture information which why the app has the disclaimer.

The rescan timers and LTE basestation file is used by the baseband of the phone to know when to rescan for LTE. No app is able to make this call. It would be nice though so we wouldn't have to toggle airplane mode.

My opinion is turn the option off, unfortunately though I found the app still runs, captures wifi data, location data, stores it on the phone, and also makes httprequests to some servers. I didn't like that on my device so I removed it totally. It seemed too spyware'ish to me. Plus I prefer to manage my own public wifi connection usage since I use a vpn for that.

How do you remove the Connection Optimizer completely?

How do you remove the Connection Optimizer completely?

Changed a boolean in the APK where the Dialer APK didn't think my device had that feature otherwise it would crash the mobile networks setting menu without the APK installed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2188928

• Like 1

Remind you of the Carrier IQ debacle?

.....posted but it disappeared so ##test programmer developer codes work but i looked into system/app no testing.apk

The APK may be named something other than Testing.  But that is what it is named in stock Android and HTC Sense ROMs.  Either way, the internal app does seem to be present but blocked in recent LG ROMs.  Look at the following screenshot.  That appears to be a live image in the background.  And I encountered similar when I tested an Optimus G last summer.

AJ

The APK may be named something other than Testing. But that is what it is named in stock Android and HTC Sense ROMs. Either way, the internal app does seem to be present but blocked in recent LG ROMs. Look at the following screenshot. That appears to be a live image in the background. And I encountered similar when I tested an Optimus G last summer.

I was able to get to that screen with the phoneinfo app but there is a hiddenmenu app in the system/app

The APK may be named something other than Testing. But that is what it is named in stock Android and HTC Sense ROMs. Either way, the internal app does seem to be present but blocked in recent LG ROMs. Look at the following screenshot. That appears to be a live image in the background. And I encountered similar when I tested an Optimus G last summer.

AJ

That looks like an easy fix to remove the check in the system. But I believe the N5 route is easier.

Anyone know the sprint dialer code to get to the menu to turn off High Temperature Property? I'd like to see if it stops the microstutter I experience.

1. Enter the following based on your device model:

• 3845#*800# (for At&T model)
  • 3845#*801# (for T-Mobile variants)
  • 3845#*802# (for European variants)
  • 3845#*803# (for AT&T and Canadian variants

For anyone interested in finding their MSL and don't want to contact Sprint, there is an easy method to find your MSL for your device.  Let me know if it works for you..  I already had my MSL before performing this method so I can verify that this method does work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2521276

Part 1, Connecting the phone in diagnostics mode:

1. Install a USB driver. http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LS970. I used the LS970 package as the LS980 page only had directions to update drivers via the LG Mobile Tools.
  2. On the phone, enable USB debugging in developer options (tap the build # in Settings > About Phone > Software Information, 7 times to enable developer options).
  3. Dial ##DIAG# (##3424#) and enable diagnostics mode.
  4. Connect phone, select "charge only"
  5. Check windows device manager to see if you have a com port. It should be listed as “LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COMxx) (xx=port #).

Part 2, Get your MSL:
1. Get Basic Flasher http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2394499. (Great tool! Please thank the poster "bigfdaddy2” and make a donation at tiny.cc/oriax123donate if you like it.)

2. Open Basic Flasher, password is oriax123.
3. In Basic Flasher:

A. Click the “Scan” button. 
B. Select the “LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COMxx)”.
C. Click the "Connect" button.
D. Click the “Read Device” button. The screen should populate with you MDN, MIN and SID.
E. Under Method, select "LG".
F. Click “Read SPC”. The SPC field should populate with your SPC (MSL).

I too would be on the nexus bandwagon but the 2300mah battery is holding be back

Since we have a few at S4GRU who disapprove of the mAh metric...

"Mah 2300 battery be holdin' me back."

:P

AJ

• Like 2

For anyone interested in finding their MSL and don't want to contact Sprint, there is an easy method to find your MSL for your device.  Let me know if it works for you..  I already had my MSL before performing this method so I can verify that this method does work.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2521276

When I try this, the app freezes on me and Windows displays it as Not Responding.  I'm on Windows 8.1 and I reinstalled the drivers, but no dice.  Any ideas?  Tried different ports and using the cable that came with the phone.

Since we have a few at S4GRU who disapprove of the mAh metric...

"Mah 2300 battery be holdin' me back."

:P

AJ

like to get 5-6 hours of screen time.. When I had the s3 it only lasted 3.5hours At it's peak..

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

My Best Buy pre-order date was 10/18 and I am still waiting. Let me know when yours ships. I'm not in a huge hurry seeing all the issues, but I am in ATL area, so hopefully based on previous posts, I'll be ok here. Still enjoying my EVO 4GLTE trying various custom ROM's.

They must have sold a large number of pre-orders and still fulfilling them by order date. The website now shows 1-2 week backorder for the G2 although all the Best Buy stores in my area have it in stock.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk