LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

As I mentioned earlier, I'm cross-posting this here as well since it is directly related to the G2 currently...

Sprint eCSFB Gap Issue Legal Approved Talking Points:

eCSFB Gap Talking Points

Sprint’s Network Vision Plan (Spectrum)
  • Sprint’s Network Vision plan includes access to three spectrum bands, (1.9, 800 and 2.5), and LTE handsets with a single radio.
  • Access to diverse spectrum assets allows Sprint to maximize capacity and coverage.
Current Sprint LTE Devices (2 Radios)
  • Current Sprint LTE devices are Simultaneous Voice and LTE (SVLTE)—using two radios, one for voice and one for LTE data. This allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate at the same time.
  • Dual Radio SVLTE devices can degrade the user’s quality of experience – two antennas may slow throughput at the cell edge and reduce battery life.
Future Sprint LTE Devices (1 Radio)
  • CSFB and eCSFB (Circuit Switch Fall Back and enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) are features that enable single radio functionality in the handset.
    • eCSFB Benefits:
      • With eCSFB implementation, Sprint will be able to offer fast LTE data speeds and 3G voice supported on single radio devices. This provides a more cost effective option for Sprint’s long-term business plans to support additional spectrum bands.
      • eCSFB is expected to improve handset battery life compared to SVLTE.
eCSFB Gap Issue – What you Need to know:
  • Smart devices require eCSFB to “fall back” to 3G to accept a voice call if the user is connected to the LTE network.
  • All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability.
  • eCSFB Gaps are only in non-incumbent markets where a site has 4G LTE and no 3G upgrade.
4G LTE integration with 3G is different by OEM type:
  • Incumbent markets – LTE 4G only sites can communicate with either legacy 3G or NV 3G sites.
  • Non-Incumbent – LTE 4G can only communicate with NV 3G sites; so individual sites need both NV upgrades.
LTE devices – Customer Experience
  • When 4G LTE is deployed in a non-incumbent market on sites without upgrade to 3G service, there is a gap.
    • Existing Devices – No Impact
    • eCSFB Devices – Phone becomes 3G only device
Non-Launched Markets
  • No coverage visible on Sprint.com maps but different experience for users with existing devices versus new eCSFB devices.
Launched Markets
  • Sprint coverage tools will display LTE coverage. For new LTE smart device users this could be confusing since they would expect LTE and 3G coverage with the device they purchased, but would not experience LTE until the 3G network is upgraded.
Mitigation plan:

New LTE Markets
  • When locking new LTE markets for announcement/ launch, eCSFB deployment status will be a factor in the analysis. New LTE markets will not be announced unless the eCSFB gap risk is low.
  • Complete the build quickly in eCSFB gap impacted markets.
Acronyms
  • CSFB – Circuit Switch Fall Back. It allows for single radio devices. (ERC)
  • eCSFB – Enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back Next generation CSFB. (ALU, STA)
  • SVLTE – Simultaneous Voice & LTE. Allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate simultaneously
  • Incumbent – An incumbent market is one in which the OEM stays the same as before Network Vision
  • Non-incumbent – A market in which the OEM changes as well as all of the equipment.
  • ERC - Ericsson
  • ALU – Alcatel Lucent
  • STA - Samsung
  • NV – Network Vision
  • OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer (ERC, ALU, STA)
  • Gap – 4G LTE on sites without appropriate upgrades to 3G service
  • 1.9 GHz Spectrum - Provides initial capacity and coverage for voice and data services.
  • 800 MHz Spectrum - Improves coverage and in-building penetration for all services.
  • 2.5 GHz Spectrum - Increases data capacity to support higher data demands and more users.
  • Like 13

So how does this account for individuals (The Dave) who have two LG G2 side by side with only one maintaining an LTE signal?

I got a new SIM card after Best Buy first reset my phone and updated profile /prl without success. I got sent to a Sprint store where they also reset my phone and updated profile/prl and decided to finally just give me a new card.

• Like 1

So is the galaxy mega working or does it have the same issues?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

My guess is that all triband LTE devices are considered eCSFB compatible so yes the Galaxy Mega 6.3 should fall victim to the same fate.  I am glad to know that this issue is not due to the phone OEM so that we don't place unfair blame on LG and Samsung for producing faulty triband LTE units.  

If anything Sprint needs to wise up and take its time especially in the non-incumbent markets to make sure the LTE gap is minimal before officially launching markets going forward.  Most of these markets are in Samsung territory since Samsung was not an incumbent provider of Sprint legacy network equipment.

• Like 1

My guess is that all triband LTE devices are considered eCSFB compatible so yes the Galaxy Mega 6.3 should fall victim to the same fate. I am glad to know that this issue is not due to the phone OEM so that we don't place unfair blame on LG and Samsung for producing faulty triband LTE units.

If anything Sprint needs to wise up and take its time especially in the non-incumbent markets to make sure the LTE gap is minimal before officially launching markets going forward. Most of these markets are in Samsung territory since Samsung was not an incumbent provider of Sprint legacy network equipment.

Yep, mostly Samsung and ALU in the Carolinas. However, Chicago, PR/VI and Ft. Wayne/South Bend should be immune. Now markets that focused on 3G in the beginning don't seem so bad. :)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Yep, mostly Samsung and ALU in the Carolinas. However, Chicago, PR/VI and Ft. Wayne/South Bend should be immune. Now markets that focused on 3G in the beginning don't seem so bad. :)

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I know huh.  But at the same time I am not going to lie in that I wish there are more 4G sites in ALU though. But I would have to think that the 3G would still be faster in these areas given the LTE backhaul already present unless the old legacy CDMA equipment cannot hook up to Ethernet backhaul.

Big fail...sprint is now further behind. Maybe in 4 years the g2 and new spark phones will work once they upgrade half of their towers

Technically, well more than half of Sprint's sites have been upgraded. About 60% or so have a 3G upgrade (plus some with 4G, 800).  If you throw in the 4G only sites, it goes up to 70%. Except that's where the issue is. Those 10% that are 4G only, and in areas where legacy and NV equipment do not mix well. 

• Like 1

Technically, well more than half of Sprint's sites have been upgraded. About 60% or so have a 3G upgrade (plus some with 4G, 800). If you throw in the 4G only sites, it goes up to 70%. Except that's where the issue is. Those 10% that are 4G only, and in areas where legacy and NV equipment do not mix well.

Well I get to Try Houston next week and Ohio has dismal 3g same as upstate new York.....

So is the galaxy mega working or does it have the same issues?

An SVLTE tri band, an SVLTE tri band, my kingdom for an SVLTE tri band!

:P

AJ

• Like 1

Technically, well more than half of Sprint's sites have been upgraded. About 60% or so have a 3G upgrade (plus some with 4G, 800). If you throw in the 4G only sites, it goes up to 70%. Except that's where the issue is. Those 10% that are 4G only, and in areas where legacy and NV equipment do not mix well.

Curious if I would see the issue here but I doubt it since Ericsson is legacy here except for the market next to me where I go has a mix of legacy vendors. We have 175 3g/4g and 105 4g only sites. Based on the current 3g integration rate they are estimated to complete it in late 2017.

Would someone knowledgable here be kind enough to explain my DEBUG screen to me?  I went into the LTE engineering screen and I'm confused by what i'm seeing.  I can't connect to LTE in my area with the LG G2, so this makes no sense to me.  I wanted to try and force LTE just to see what kind of RF performance this G2 has, but couldn't figure out how to do it  Maybe it still wouldn't connect because of the eCSFB Gap Issue anyway.

Here is some of the info on my LTE engineering screen:

STATE: Connected

SERVING CELL:  355

BAND:  50

UL  Channel:  65535

DL Channel:  65535

RSRP:  0 dBm

RSRQ:  0 dB

RS-SINR:  -18 dB

My phone only connects on eHRPD.  Thanks!

Would someone knowledgable here be kind enough to explain my DEBUG screen to me? I went into the LTE engineering screen and I'm confused by what i'm seeing.

My phone only connects on eHRPD. Thanks!

All of that is invalid data, indicating that you do not have an active LTE connection.

-Mike

All of that is invalid data, indicating that you do not have an active LTE connection.

-Mike

Thanks Mike.  I thought that as well, but the "connected" nomenclature threw me.  Thanks again.

Thanks Mike.  I thought that as well, but the "connected" nomenclature threw me.

Are you sure it was not Principal Ed Rooney who threw you?

:P

AJ

Man!, do you live in a town of 2 people!?

I am at work and in a heavy residential area.  That being said, St Augustine has a population of only about 11-12,000.

These are all indoor tests since I got the phone and had a connection.

attachicon.giftmp_IMG_20131110_162828536136465.jpg

Man,  You're making me wish I could connect to these Shentel towers where I am in HBG.  I'm actually looking out of my window right now seeing the red light blinking on top of the tower and I can't get 4G LTE from it.  :(