LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

So I'm going to look at a used g2 and was wondering how to tell the manufacture date. Also how is the reception compared to the other triband phones? I thought I saw a thread comparing them all but can't find it now.

Thanks!!

Rf wise id say worse than most. Reception is the biggest killer of this device. And this is coming from a gs4,Htc One, and nexus 5.
  • Like 1

Oh man that sucks.. I ended up buying it. Just about to activate it. I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing this. I dealt with an evo LTE for way too long.

i had the evo lte and i get better lte with the g2 on band 25.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Oh man that sucks.. I ended up buying it. Just about to activate it. I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing this. I dealt with an evo LTE for way too long.

The G2 isn't bad with LTE. It's only outclassed by the GS5, GS4, and Nexus 5. It's about on par with the M8.

Sent from my LG-LS980

Ran enough tests to know that the G2 is only outclassed by the S3, S4, Nexus 5. The Galaxy S5 is not as good of a rf performer as its predecessors but it is on par with all htc devices

The G2 isn't bad with LTE. It's only outclassed by the GS5, GS4, and Nexus 5. It's about on par with the M8.

Sent from my LG-LS980

I Have a G2 as well.  I'm currently using my single band Samsung GN3.  I was never impressed at all with the RF performance of the G2.  In my basement for example, the GN3 will hold a very usable LTE signal while the G2 would fall back to a weak 3G signal.  Both on the same GCI - confirmed by Mike's Signal Check app.  The GN3 has such a better sound quality in the earpiece as well. 

Just my $0.02. 

So I'm going to look at a used g2 and was wondering how to tell the manufacture date. Also how is the reception compared to the other triband phones? I thought I saw a thread comparing them all but can't find it now.

Thanks!!

Not having compared it to the other " Tri Band " smartphones the G2 IMHO has been great overall and reception as well. That's personal experience using it as my daily driver so it sounds like location as always could be the key.

I have a G2 and broke down and bought a Nexus 5 yesterday.  I always thought the G2 was decent in RF performance, but the N5 with the .17 radio flashed is absolutely insane.  I pick up a B25 signal from towers farther out compared to what the G2 could get on B26 from the same tower.  (Pretty good test too because it is the last tower for 20 miles so you end up roaming for a bit between sites)

However, I LOVE the G2 besides that.  The battery life, camera, Knock On, the back button placement...  everything else.  Keeping the G2 for now as a backup for either myself or my wife.  Pretty good knowing that I have a G2 to fall back to in case my wife destroys her G2.  :lol:

Well thanks for all the help. I got to work today crossing my fingers I would connect to band 26 at my desk.. Had a -119 signal for about a minute then nothing. Suuucks. Guess I'll be using my T-Mobile nexus 7 as a hot spot for good now. I'm pretty disappointed but I'm liking the g2 other than that. Getting used to a sealed battery will stuck tho.

A couple more questions. On my s3 I could turn off data and only connect to 1x 800 which would save my battery life. When I turn my data off on the g2 I still connect to ehrpd and regular 1x. Is there a reason it won't park on 800 like the s3?

I found an easy way to get your MSL without root or dealing with customer service. I swapped my Nexus 5 back to the G2 on the sprint website and found that they actually give it to you as an "activation code" in the self service device activation. I confirmed this by using the code to change my LTE band scanning priorities. However I'm not 100 percent sure if it works for other devices.

XHYba6L.png

Now I'm roaming instead of connecting to 800 at work. Wonderful. Texts failing and coming in late. Any ideas?

I feel for you.  I found that my G2 is not good at all in fringe reception areas or at the cell edge.  Do you have a friend who has a N5 on Sprint?  Possibly you could try that at your work location to see if there is an improvement.  If so you could sell your G2 and purchase a N5.

The N5 is the best RF performer at this time. 

• Like 1

I don't know of anyone with an N5. I like the g2 and I would have got the nexus of it wasn't for knock on and the ir blaster. Is there any way to change the threshold of when it connects to 1x 800? I think if that was fixed id be OK with it for awhile. I bet the nexus would work at my desk because I get a faint LTE right outside my door. I just want to stream all access all day long! I've been waiting for 800 LTE for 2 years and dang, what a disappointment. Also I've had this thing plugged into a 1amp charger pretty much all day since 6 and it only went from 10% to 80% now. Charger problem?

I don't know of anyone with an N5. I like the g2 and I would have got the nexus of it wasn't for knock on and the ir blaster. Is there any way to change the threshold of when it connects to 1x 800? I think if that was fixed id be OK with it for awhile. I bet the nexus would work at my desk because I get a faint LTE right outside my door. I just want to stream all access all day long! I've been waiting for 800 LTE for 2 years and dang, what a disappointment. Also I've had this thing plugged into a 1amp charger pretty much all day since 6 and it only went from 10% to 80% now. Charger problem?

I'm sure someone knows how to hack the threshold, if you can even get into those menus - I sure don't know.  Without the antenna/radio being able to receive a good signal, it probably wouldn't be usable anyway.  The charging is not normal.  My G2 charges up in a little over an hour, maybe 1.5 hours or so while it's still on.  Good Luck!

Well, the network decides where you end up at so unless you find someone with N5 to sit at your desk with that phone and see if it doesn't switch to b26, it's hard to say.  Nothing is "broken" so not really anything to "fix". :) You could possibly try to change the band priorities but I don't know if that is going to get you what you want AND could make the general performance of the RF worse. 

As for charger, you said "a 1amp" charger.  I have found that the best charger is the OEM charger and the worst are knock off chargers.  8hrs to charge that much is definitely not right, something is wrong.  Where you doing stuff on the phone? Screen on? Streaming or something? 

I'm sure someone knows how to hack the threshold, if you can even get into those menus - I sure don't know.  Without the antenna/radio being able to receive a good signal, it probably wouldn't be usable anyway.  The charging is not normal.  My G2 charges up in a little over an hour, maybe 1.5 hours or so while it's still on.  Good Luck!

The best fix is a prl change to the premier or regular sponsor 513/503 prl.
  • Like 1

The OEM charger is 1.8 amps. If you are streaming or using your screen it really doesn't charge well.

Except PRL has nothing to do with LTE.  :tu:

I meant for the 1x800 threshold part. I was in a hurry back from lunch so i might of hit the wrong quote ha
  • Like 1

I meant for the 1x800 threshold part. I was in a hurry back from lunch so i might of hit the wrong quote ha

Oh, yeah, now that I read his post again, it was a little mix and mashed and maybe on accident.  He said 1x800 but I think "maybe" he was just talking about 800 in general since he was talking about LTE at his desk and streaming all day. 

Just so it's clear for him (*I know you understand) 1x800 could be change by using one of the custom PRL's floating around here and LTE on 800 (band 26) its going to be a bit of a challenge to do what you want and not mess anything else up. 

• Like 1

Oh, yeah, now that I read his post again, it was a little mix and mashed and maybe on accident.  He said 1x800 but I think "maybe" he was just talking about 800 in general since he was talking about LTE at his desk and streaming all day. 

Just so it's clear for him (*I know you understand) 1x800 could be change by using one of the custom PRL's floating around here and LTE on 800 (band 26) its going to be a bit of a challenge to do what you want and not mess anything else up.

Yeah b26 is up to sprint network on who is on what band.
  • Like 1

Just thought I'd share: I was having problems with my gps, and began to research a fix. I came across an article, and subsequently a video explaining that the gps contacts on the battery cover don't make good contact with the phone. It fixed my problem, and I get a 10+ satellite lock now in less than 3 seconds, even indoors.

Here's the link:

(don't worry, the title of the video is foreign, but there is no audio in the video)

A 1AMP charger is actually really weak now. I believe the charger that comes with the G2 and N5 is 1.8AMP and most Samsung devices now come with 2AMP+ chargers. I have a handful of 2.0 AMP chargers laying around specifically because they can provide the power required to both charge and use a device at the same time.

The LG G2 has a 3,000mAh battery, so a 1AMP charger would charge it from dead to full in 3 hours (if the phone was off). Since you likely keep your phone on however, that uses some of the battery while it is charging. Lower signal reception will use more battery, long data sessions will use more battery, any apps that stay running and prevent the phone from entering a sleep state will use more battery, even if the screen is off, just to name a few things.

10-80% charge would be a 70% increase, thus 2,100mA that has gone to the battery. In 6 hours a 1AMP charger would have pushed through 6,000mA, so that means your device used up 3,900mA doing something in that timeframe. Screen on, constant data connections, not sleeping, etc.

I'd recommend installing an app that looks at what specific apps are doing with wakelocks, etc. to determine where your root cause is, the built-in Android stuff gives general ideas, but nothing specific. I use BetterBatteryStats personally, it's complex, but if you read a guide first it's amazingly powerful.

Just thought I'd share: I was having problems with my gps, and began to research a fix. I came across an article, and subsequently a video explaining that the gps contacts on the battery cover don't make good contact with the phone. It fixed my problem, and I get a 10+ satellite lock now in less than 3 seconds, even indoors.

Here's the link:

(don't worry, the title of the video is foreign, but there is no audio in the video)

This can be a fairly common issue with any device that uses a spring-type connection to a GPS antenna in the rear housing (most phones now). I saw it about 2x per week when I was a tech in the store. Pressing really hard on the contact on the back cover or dropping a device can cause that connection to bend slightly away from the housing, so it doesn't make a good connection anymore, reducing performance drastically.

• Like 2

Quick question.. I just noticed on my wife's g2 pull down menu there is no q slide, not even an edit for q slide... When I uncheck the things off of q slide I still have the edit option taking up space.. She doesn't even know what I'm talking about much less why it's not in hers.. I don't use it or like it taking up that extra space.. Any idea on how to remove it??