LG G2 Users Thread!

koiulpoi

...I noticed around the Harrisburg area, in numerous places, my G2 gets stuck on 3G. When back in a strong LTE area, the only way to receive LTE again is to cycle the radio. I've waited up to 20 minutes and finally gave up and then switched in and out of airplane mode.

That seems to be a non SVLTE, single radio issue. When your handset keeps using data -- as smartphones are prone to do -- it will linger longer on eHRPD/EV-DO. An active data session will hand down to eHRPD/EV-DO but not the other direction.

AJ

That's a good start. To be scientific, you can add these other points:

1. Make sure they are exactly in the same position on a table. Exactly. You should try them not touched at all. And the try them held also. Just be sure to hold them exactly in the same position.

2. Verify site connected to, sector and channel. They all have to be connected to exactly the same site/sector/channel to be accurate. For instance, the Note 3 may have a better radio, but may have been connected to another sector on the same site because it had a lower Ec/Io ratio. And since the sector was pointing a different direction, the signal could have been 10dB worse.

As you get closer to any of the three transition zones between sectors, the stronger radio performers have an increased chance of changing sectors and having a weaker signal. This is true of stronger radio performers and other sites. A strong radio performer is much more likely to switch to a weaker signal site that will perform better than a weak RF performing site.

3. Location matters. The final factor in RF performance testing is that it needs to be done in strong, moderate and weak signal areas to be conclusive. If you only test in strong signal areas, it's not a very good test. You will only know which device is best when the signal is good. And who cares if someone has a great signal or fantastic signal when near a site. Won't make much difference.

You would think that a device that is 10dB better than the other when the signal is strong would be better in all signal conditions. But that is not always true. Most people actually just want to know which device is the best RF performer in marginal signal areas. Not in good to great signal areas. And to do weak signal area tests, you have to find a good spot near the edge of service for the provider. You can't do that in the middle of a city. I had some great areas in NM to do this.

Don't see this as a correction in many sense. Just trying to help folks understand that RF performance testing is much more complex than looking at dBm on a display on several devices. And you can use this as a guide to conduct your own device RF testing.

If any of you embark on such a journey, one last word of advice. Cycle and repeat. When I was doing device RF testing, I would cycle my devices being tested. I would do observations all on one device, and then the next. I would do one set of observations on a device, then another and another. And then go back to the first. I would take no less than 3 observations per test and average them. I would try to do 5. Then I would repeat them again in the future at that location, at least once. To try to rule out any network anomalies.

In my testing, I had a specific location for strong, moderate and weak signal places for testing. Then I would test each device 5 times (signal, data speed and Ec/Io) both on a flat surface and held, rotating through all the devices in each location. And then I would repeat this at the same location another day and time to get a broader measurement. This is as close to scientific as we can get.

You would be surprised to see how performance changes from one device to another while holding it, or in weak signal areas. It's really hard to declare any one a flat out winner based on a limited test. Some will just be better for some types of uses. One that appears to be best in a store, may be the worst when holding in your hand and at the edge of service.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Robert, that's an excellent primer.  I really enjoyed reading it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Robert, that's an excellent primer.  I really enjoyed reading it.  Thanks!

Yes, and we enjoyed reading it again -- since you quoted the entire lengthy post.

AJ

That seems to be a non SVLTE, single radio issue. When your handset keeps using data -- as smartphones are prone to do -- it will linger longer on eHRPD/EV-DO. An active data session will hand down to eHRPD/EV-DO but not the other direction.

AJ

I'm not sure I fully understand this...  "An active data session will hand down to eHRPD/EV-DO but not the other direction".

Does that mean that the device radio will indeed, regardless of time, have to manually be cycled?

Yes, and we enjoyed reading it again -- since you quoted the entire lengthy post.

AJ

I know, sorry about that.  I was going to just list the 1...3..., without text, but I didn't want to screw up by deleting on a touch-screen.  My apologies.

I'm not sure I fully understand this... "An active data session will hand down to eHRPD/EV-DO but not the other direction".

Does that mean that the device radio will indeed, regardless of time, have to manually be cycled?

No it means when the data connection goes dormant it will try to hand off to lte if a signal is there.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Off topic but my new g2 seems to hold connection a lot better than my old one. I used to only get a mile or so away from my home tower and it would drop lte. Now it holds for a few miles at least.

How long were you offline between your old and new G2's? It could have been a bad device, but keep in mind it might also be a result of NV upgrade progress in your area.

-Mike

NV is pretty complete but this would happen in areas where they're done and work in progress. But the time between devices was probably 5 min. When it was still off I put a screen protector on since it's easier with a black screen.

Edit. Either way this one holds a lot better signal strength wise so I'm leaning towards a not so good rf performer for my old one.

It sounds like there was just a bad batch of G2s. Too many have had issues with the audio, signal and screen for it to be a coincidence. My wife and I have had great luck with ours, but since we bought them together, it seems we bought from the good batch.

Ive have two g2's on my account,  on the one I am on  my 5th  1st nothing wrong just thought there was swapped... 2nd  I bricked, ... 3rd/4th could not connect to 4g at all... Now on my 5th and the radio and performance is on pair or better than previous s3 in Atlanta... also the other g2 on other line works fine no radio issues... Even seems to perform better at end of cell coverage than iphone 5s which is the 3rd line

AJ

I have had this issue when streaming youtube for my son while driving or if something is syncing in the background or push notifications 

Ok so my phone started showing the light from beneath the phones screen got it replaced at a Sprint store... same issue from above no lte afterwards. Now something went wrong with google voice integration. Cant make or receive anything but 3g

Ok so my phone started showing the light from beneath the phones screen got it replaced at a Sprint store... same issue from above no lte afterwards. Now something went wrong with google voice integration. Cant make or receive anything but 3g

I had an issue with Voice integration awhile back and I had to modify the settings on the computer.  I don't remember how I did it, but I searched Google Voice Account settings and found my way from there.

I had an issue with Voice integration awhile back and I had to modify the settings on the computer.  I don't remember how I did it, but I searched Google Voice Account settings and found my way from there.

Thing is I cant find anything un integrate button. Its as if it sees it as a talbet or something. I dont know what I did to mess it up but hopefully I can get my old phone back bc I need the pics on my old phone.

Thing is I cant find anything un integrate button. Its as if it sees it as a talbet or something. I dont know what I did to mess it up but hopefully I can get my old phone back bc I need the pics on my old phone.

You have to go onto the main Google website using desktop mode since the mobile browser doesn't show all the options. That's how I had to turn off the integration.

You have non lte because they messed up, the whole sim thing is new to a lot of reps. They either didnt put a sim in, or the sim in the phone is not tied to your account. Either of those scenarios would allow voice/3g to work but no lte.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

You have non lte because they messed up, the whole sim thing is new to a lot of reps. They either didnt put a sim in, or the sim in the phone is not tied to your account. Either of those scenarios would allow voice/3g to work but no lte.

At least in my systems when we swap phones it automatically generates the sim id for us. To mess up a sim is sort of hard to do. The sim itself could be bad and not allow the phone to connect. Sim replacement has helped when phones like the HTC one do not get 4g or they don't detect their sim.

At least in my systems when we swap phones it automatically generates the sim id for us. To mess up a sim is sort of hard to do. The sim itself could be bad and not allow the phone to connect. Sim replacement has helped when phones like the HTC one do not get 4g or they don't detect their sim.

I had the same issue with my son's phone.  I had to call Sprint & give them the Serial # on the SIM card.  They said it didn't match what they had in the records for that phone.  They took the # I had & tied it to the account, which fixed the issue.

When I got my G2 first activated at Best Buy, the lock screen said "Invalid Card" and I had no LTE and when I took it back, they reactivated it and called Sprint with I think the UICC number and that did the trick for me. It then said "Sprint" on the lock screen.

Each meid was a sim associated with itis new. When a phone is exchanged through service and repair the new phone can come with a new sim that may or may not be associated with the replacments meid, or you can select to use your old sim.

Either way if LTE does not work the first thing to check is the sim number.