Video Game Discussion (Was: So...which next gen console are you getting?)

Ascertion

Xbox One or PS4?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which console are you getting?

• Xbox One
    • Playstation 4
    • Wii-U
    • PC Master race has no reason to buy one of these pieces of junk!
    • Still Deciding...

Boy who would have guessed that AJ was the "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS" video game guy of S4GRU.  :P

I have several years to go before I hit 40, but I am getting in some early practice.

AJ

• Like 7

Wow, I can't believe how unanimous this is but whatever, xbox one for me all the way.  I may end up getting a ps4 anyway but definitely not passing up on the xbox one.

• Like 3

Oh that's another thing. I've been unable to use my PS3 all summer because it can't handle the heat. It overheats after 5 minutes of use and turns itself off. In the winter it works fine.

How odd. Do you have A/C at your crib? I used to leave my original 60GB PS3 running for weeks at a time doing Folding@Home and it's still going strong today (knocks on wood  :lol: ).

I think that the whole reason that people begin considering PlayStation is the whole free PSN thing. I don't mind paying 60 dollars each year if it means I don't have to worry about me losing live for months at a time or having access to features like controlling my cable box and such.

PSN has never been down for over a month, even when it was hacked..by Anon.

But I'm sticking with the Sony name. I'm on my third ps3, the kids have the second ps3, and I just retired the first one because I wanted a slim. I removed its hard drive tho and finally threw it away last year...but my 40gb fat never had any prob except for a laser replacement, I used to do 16 hr killzone and battlefield 2 bad company sessions...for days at a time..

And now I'm doing 8hr sessions of battlefield 3 or cod black ops 2 every day almost. I'm even thinking about waiting to get the new grand theft auto because it's so close to ps4 release...not sure yet.

My slim sat above that steaming hot directv dvr for those sessions in my media center, and so did my fat ps3...neither ever had heat issues. Have you ever vacuumed the exhaust ports or blew them with canned air? Just under the eject button you can shoot air in, and it comes out the back vent, same for the hard drive cover.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

How odd. Do you have A/C at your crib? I used to leave my original 60GB PS3 running for weeks at a time doing Folding@Home and it's still going strong today (knocks on wood  :lol: ).

Are you deaf yet from the jet engine/wood chipper/snow blower noise?

AJ

I would like to try the Playstation 4 as well. I have always enjoyed owning the 2, it is was quite a beast, still have one of the originals as well. I have a pc so I have enough microsoft I suppose. my neighbor has a PS3 which is primarily used for tiger woods and god of war and we run that thing for days on end. So I skipped the 3 as a result and saved for my own build. 2 things I guess, one of the perils of being the first ones to a new platform, the other being accessibility, how many folks who pre order get to test them out, say at game stop or the like? The noise is a killer though on those fans, but I always have my stereo going anyways.  :music: 

It wasn't until sony made their E3 presentation that MS decided to pull back on all the crap they had in store for the Nextbox...like DRM and always on...if they can suddenly fix it with a software patch, then they can suddenly add it back with a software patch. You gotta figure they are going to recoup that lost revenue SOMEWHERE...

Then, compare studios. Microsoft 1st party devs:

343 Industries

Lionhead

Turn 10

Rare

Bigpark

Black Tusk

Lift London

Victoria (MS)

...not sure if anymore have joined the flock, but that's the big names.

then, compare that to Sony's 1st party devs:

Guerilla Games

Naughty Dog

Santa Monica

Quantic Dream

Housemarque

Insomniac

Polyphone Digital

Sucker Punch

Evolution

Media Molecule

SCE Bend

SCE Cambridge

SCE Japan

SCE London

San Diego

SCE Liverpool

Team ICO

...then you have the 3rd party devs, and the PSN / XBLA devs...

But just comparing devs, Sony has come a LONG way from where they were with 1st party studios back in '07...and that is what gets games on the shelf.

Personally, I'm thinking the Ps4 will put Sony back where they should be...Microsoft rushed to beat Sony with Xbox360 and had a multi-million dollar mishap because of it. I don't know of anyone who has an Xbox from that first year's production run that can still say it's going strong.

My brother in law had the xbox thing...was big into Microsoft and constantly insisted it was better than Sony..

Then, his first Xbox had RRoD. Fixed by MS. His second had DVD prob...fixed by MS. His 3rd HDD prob...fixed by MS also.

He bought a fourth, had the same DVD problem as the 2nd one, and put it in the closet. When I bragged to him that I still had the same Ps3 that I bought back in 08...compared to him being on his 4th Xbox in 3 years...he went and bought a PS3 too. And many other people had the same issues with Xbox...maybe their "refurbs" just weren't that great...but everyone I know who got a RRoD and sent for a refurb had trouble with them...

Just as a comparison, I never had any trouble with a PS3 like that..and i am on the 3rd PS3 since they came out. The 2nd PS3 is still running, in the den...and the kids play it. The first one, I just retired...because I wanted a new one and didn't have a use for 3 PS3's when I got the white slim back in February...so, instead of keeping it around, I salvaged parts and threw the fat PS3 away...

But it still worked fine when I trashed it...I just wanted a new one for the energy savings and heat dissipation....after 5 years of harsh gaming, I figured it would eventually have problems, and I didn't want it to give me issues when I wanted to play..and have to worry about buying a new one when I didn't have the extra money...so I made the decision to buy 2 new PS3s within a 1 year period so I could retire the 40gb fat.

Getting the PS4 myself, primarily due to pricing, as the policies that MS tried to implement on the Xbox One. This is will be the second Sony console I've own(the first was a PSone slim), still works too. However, can't say the same for my 360 Elite, which died two years ago.

Plus, I heard PS+ is pretty great. :)

I've got both pre-ordered.  I'm equally excited for them.  I've never really been 100% towards one console.  I've had my Xbox 360 and PS3 since launch and they are both working great to this day.

Once the Wii U has some good 1st party game released, I think that'll be a good buy at the price drop they are giving it.  Just purchased the remastered version of 'Ducktales' in the eshop, and its great.  Not many choices on the console yet.. for the most part mine sits.. 

Is it just me, or do we have a multitude of people who are hardcore to one or the other?...in the same manner that we're biased to Sprint, many of us here seem to be biased to one or the other in consoles as well...which there's nothing wrong with. Back when the PS3 outage occurred, I was nearly livid with some people that started dogging Sony for letting it happen...but ANON was firing off targeted attacks at not just Sony, but others as well. Even the Dept of Justice got hit, the NSA...they all were targeted by Anon's DDoS attacks...because so many people could download the LOIC software and join them with near transparency...

I remember the Westboro attack was the only one that I really agreed with them on...the others....Sony is a company, out to make money...just like Microsoft is. Sony prosecuted someone who hacked their console and released the hack for money...what were they supposed to do, offer him a job? Sony has a track record of bringing in people like that who are of questionable background, but not so much with folks who hack their investment and use it for financial gain...selling those USB dongles was what brought the wrath of Sony...not creating the hack...plus it was discovered that an inside person at Sony released the keys that were used to open up the system.

At any rate, I feel about Sony the way I feel about Sprint...they have been in the low spot with the PS3 not doing so well, and I'm glad I was on PS+ and playing along during their high-times for the life of the PS3..it's been a great console with some really great games...

The 60GB is considered Playstation gold, the only problem is that its the console with the highest failure percentage as it was using a 1st generation processor that had heating issues. I have my original 60GB but its sitting in a corner as I have to get it repaired from the "yellow light of death". The newer PS3's use smaller and more efficient processors over the first gen ones. The 60GB also still goes for a lot of money online.

I purchased mine on ebay about 7 years ago for $100 because it was broken.  Supposedly the video would start to pixelate after about an hour of game play.  When it arrived I hooked it up and played Modern Warfare from 6pm until 5am and never had an issue.  My guess is the persons display was the issue.  I have applied Arctic Silver to the heat sink and I open it up and clean the dust out of it once a year.  The intake ports get pretty plugged up.

I've had an Xbox 360 since Nov 2007. I've had to replace/repair it 3 times in that entire time frame but honestly, I was so obsessed with the darn thing until I started college so it was probably rarely off. One gave me RROD, and the other two gave me an issue even worse...it started scratching my discs. I ended up having to replace two of my games, along with repairing my console. Very disappointed that Microsoft only gave me a month of gold as an apology...it took a month to repair the dang thing! But even with these negatives...I loved my 360 and it has definitely been one of the best, if not the best, game console I've ever owned. However, I feel like its about time for a switch and I loved my PS2 before the 360.

Both have their positives and negatives, but the entire console experience is what hooks me with Sony. I can use my ps3 as anything I want, movies, games, streaming device, etc. And they've only furthered that with ps4

• Like 1

Both have their positives and negatives, but the entire console experience is what hooks me with Sony. I can use my ps3 as anything I want, movies, games, streaming device, etc. And they've only furthered that with ps4

I think that the Xbox is even more of a multimedia powerhouse than the Playstation.

I think that when it comes down to it all, both consoles will do great. Xbox preorders are picking up. I think that for every 2 Xbox`s there are 3 PS4s. It`ll come down to what you want your console for. Microsoft tried to find a middle ground between family consoles (Wii/WiiU) and core gamer consoles (Playstation). I think that the PS4 offers a great experience for those that only game.

I have the day 1 XBOX 180 pre ordered and the PS4 launch as well. Ill probably cancel the playstation between now and then. I want the Xbox for the games. Forza, titanfall and dead rising 3. Destiny for sure, but that's either.

So nothing on PS4 I want yet that I can't get on the XBOX 180. Plus I always love the Xbox controllers ever since the duke/ fatty on the OG XBOX.