Video Game Discussion (Was: So...which next gen console are you getting?)

Ascertion

Xbox One or PS4?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which console are you getting?

• Xbox One
    • Playstation 4
    • Wii-U
    • PC Master race has no reason to buy one of these pieces of junk!
    • Still Deciding...

I guess I'm gonna be sticking with my pc gaming. Consoles just don't do it for me. Especially when I can just switch from gaming to forum surfing at the punch of a keyboard button. My next computer project might be with a Intel Extreme cpu.

To those that voted Xbox One, did you decide before or after the online/game trading policies changed?

For me, I liked the Xbox before, and when they changed it, it simply reinforced it. I like when companies actually listen to the consumer. The PS4 boys however saw that as an opportunity to bash Microsoft as a policy changer.

wait so i can play the NEW ps4 games on the vita?  grrr to this console war!

I want to know if you can play two seperate games at one time(one on the PS4 and one on the Vita) or if you can play a coop game between two players. That would make COD Black Ops awesome with two players.

• 2 weeks later...

Well - a lot of my good friends have stated they're getting the Xbox One due to TitanFall, and the games I was originally getting on PS4 were multiplatform so looks like Xbox One for me now.  I still think PS4 is tempting and I'll likely grab one down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Buy is circling the drain.  I went in this morning to buy "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD" for the Wii U.  Seemingly because it is also a digital download, it is not available in any Best Buy store.  It certainly is not available online from Best Buy.

My local store is reduced to devoting a huge center area now to handsets and tablets.  Music is long gone.  But even video games and Blu-ray now are marginalized due to downloads and streaming.  I had to go to Target to buy "The Wind Waker HD" in store.

AJ

Best Buy is circling the drain.  I went in this morning to buy "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD" for the Wii U.  Seemingly because it is also a digital download, it is not available in any Best Buy store.  It certainly is not available online from Best Buy.

My local store is reduced to devoting a huge center area now to handsets and tablets.  Music is long gone.  But even video games and Blu-ray now are marginalized due to downloads and streaming.  I had to go to Target to buy "The Wind Waker HD" in store.

AJ

Actually in my town they're moving into a newer, bigger and better located building, so there's my local anecdote.

Actually in my town they're moving into a newer, bigger and better located building, so there's my local anecdote.

Yes, Nebraska probably qualifies as a "rual" area...

AJ

Nebraska as a whole, yes, where I live no. Unless you consider a city with ~250,000 people rural.

I have a degree in geography, so I am aware.  I am just giving you a hard time.  But prior to the advent of the Big 12, Lincoln was -- surprisingly enough -- the largest "college town" in the Big 8.

You should know, though, that the proper pronunciation for you folks is "rual."

AJ

I have a degree in geography, so I am aware.  I am just giving you a hard time.  But prior to the advent of the Big 12, Lincoln was -- surprisingly enough -- the largest "college town" in the Big 8.

You should know, though, that the proper pronunciation for you folks is "rual."

AJ

I figured you knew, I was more pointing out for someone just reading through the thread and wouldn't know. Also they are most certainly not my folks. I am an Iowan regardless of whether I live in Nebraska the rest of my life or not. 

Xbox One for me, for a few reasons...

1. I LOVED the Family Share plan they were working on.

The backlash from "hardcore" gamers about being unable to resell their used games easily for pennies on the dollar actually royally pisses me off. I don't sell my games. Why? Because no matter where you sell them, you get so little back in exchange that it isn't worth it. Gamestop makes their entire business off of selling you a $60 game, then buying it back from you for $10, and reselling it for $50 again.

The "used" physical game market is going away whether people like it or not, much as it has been doing for years on the PC. As high-speed broadband becomes ever more present, physical disc gaming will be going away quickly. The ability for publishers to put downloadable games on the market at a price point, and then adjusting as time goes on with a Game On Demand system works. It has worked for Xbox 360, PS3, and Steam for years. Physical discs are good for those without adequate internet connections, but that is now a small minority of customers in developed first world countries.

2. The ability for it to be the center of my home entertainment experience.

The simple fact that I can say "Xbox On" and it will automatically turn on my TV/surround sound/cable box/etc. and then through my voice I can just tell it what I want to do. I have a Logitech Harmony remote, I don't have to deal with multiple remotes or missing features, but the simple fact that the remote is not even necessary anymore sold me. Snapping TV/Internet/Game/Skype on the screen means I can multitask without having to have multiple devices. And if I do want multiple devices? There is Xbox Smartglass to fill that void.

Even better, other people in the house do still get confused by the Harmony remote, when they do something wrong and the remote thinks things are setup and on differently than they are, they can't seem to follow the help prompts very well... the fact that everything would go through the Xbox simply requiring you to tell it what you want... easy.

3. Launch lineup

The launch titles available for me look better for the ONE rather than the PS4. This is entirely subjective I realize, but for me, it is more enticing.

4. Controller

I love the Xbox 360 controller. It has had nearly universal acclaim as being the best controller to date. After playing with a ONE controller though, there is no comparison. The ONE controller is the new king. The PS4 is better, but it still has the legacy PlayStation feel, which honestly now, is a detriment in my opinion. The positioning of the ONE controls are simply superior to any controller I have ever used.

5. Exclusives

I have had a PlayStation (PSX), Playstation 2 (fat), a PS3 (fat 3rd gen, YLOD), and 4 Xbox 360s (only 1 RROD, the rest were traded or sold for varying reasons). I know exclusives on both console systems and I enjoy them on both. That being said, I enjoy the Xbox exclusives more overall. This may change this next generation with fewer exclusives due to how similar the systems really are, it may not, we'll have to see.

• Like 2

I love having both a PS3 and 360, so I might wait a couple years until they're both more reasonable and then buy them both when a good deal comes around

That is not the answer they were looking for.  The answer is "I'm going to finance both systems and all their games and pay it back over the next 47 years."

=)

That is not the answer they were looking for.  The answer is "I'm going to finance both systems and all their games and pay it back over the next 47 years."

=)

HA, the answer they REALLY want is: "here is a truckload of cash, how much can I get?"

Well, awhile back I cancelled my guaranteed Launch Day PS4 edition in favor of the Xbox One but now I don't think Amazon is going to have enough inventory by launch to get me one by launch date.  Anyone know of a not-so-common play that'll likely have Xbox One units on Launch?  Thinking Sears...maybe.

EDIT: Changed my vote from PS4 to Xbox One and now it's tied! :P

Well, awhile back I cancelled my guaranteed Launch Day PS4 edition in favor of the Xbox One but now I don't think Amazon is going to have enough inventory by launch to get me one by launch date.  Anyone know of a not-so-common play that'll likely have Xbox One units on Launch?  Thinking Sears...maybe.

Walmart, jcpenny, radioshack? spend a little more and look for bundles?

Finance through Fingernut?

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I waited too late to try and pre-order...we had a family emergency that caused us to have to take a trip to Louisiana and a 3 day stay at a motel...so I forgot to keep an eye on PlayStation with all that going on. To add to that, it was the sudden death of my brother...so I was kinda not thinking about playing games..

Does anyone know if there will be extra stock on release day aside from pre-order?I would think it's sensible to have some extra...but not sure.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'm still firmly in the neither/PC Master Race camp here.  Just built a new system a little over a month ago in fact, first one in about 4-5 years.  And keeping a keen eye on the ongoing development of Star Citizen in particular.

Xbox One for me, for a few reasons...

1. I LOVED the Family Share plan they were working on.

The backlash from "hardcore" gamers about being unable to resell their used games easily for pennies on the dollar actually royally pisses me off. I don't sell my games. Why? Because no matter where you sell them, you get so little back in exchange that it isn't worth it. Gamestop makes their entire business off of selling you a $60 game, then buying it back from you for $10, and reselling it for $50 again.

The "used" physical game market is going away whether people like it or not, much as it has been doing for years on the PC. As high-speed broadband becomes ever more present, physical disc gaming will be going away quickly. The ability for publishers to put downloadable games on the market at a price point, and then adjusting as time goes on with a Game On Demand system works. It has worked for Xbox 360, PS3, and Steam for years. Physical discs are good for those without adequate internet connections, but that is now a small minority of customers in developed first world countries.

Thats why I buy most of my games used. Depending on the game the amount spent and awarded on trade in is reasonable. About the only thing I buy new is Skylanders and Call of Duty.

Wow, condolences.  Sorry to learn of that.  :(

Thanks. It was very, VERY unexpected...and it hit me quite hard and even after I came back home I still had some issues..I guess dealing with it mentally was such a strain...My wife and I never hardly argue or have problems..and we've been married going on 16 years now...but the day after we returned from Louisiana, I made her cry. I just wasn't myself, didn't feel right, and was being a total a--hole to her. Highly unusual for me...and I told her the next day that I just didn't feel right the previous day.  With all the added drama of just losing him suddenly, there were HUGE problems --- or, mistakes made by the pathologist and coroner...like leaving him out for so long that an autopsy couldn't be performed...and forcing us to resort to only having a closed casket funeral...so much happened in that one-week span that it just ...I dunno...

I don't wanna bring the moral of this topic down with all the sadness surrounding this, but I appreciate the kind thoughts extended our way.  No one here knows my entire history, but if you did, you would know why I took his death especially hard with the life experiences I've faced. Digiblur might've heard something about the St. Tammany parish coroner being under investigation...I'm not sure if the news in his area covered that story. I know we were watching the news in the motel while down in Slidell and it came on about the coroner - the day after the services.