Video Game Discussion (Was: So...which next gen console are you getting?)

Ascertion

Xbox One or PS4?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which console are you getting?

• Xbox One
    • Playstation 4
    • Wii-U
    • PC Master race has no reason to buy one of these pieces of junk!
    • Still Deciding...

I think that the Xbox is even more of a multimedia powerhouse than the Playstation.

I think that when it comes down to it all, both consoles will do great. Xbox preorders are picking up. I think that for every 2 Xbox`s there are 3 PS4s. It`ll come down to what you want your console for. Microsoft tried to find a middle ground between family consoles (Wii/WiiU) and core gamer consoles (Playstation). I think that the PS4 offers a great experience for those that only game.

How so? They look pretty even to me.

How so? They look pretty even to me.

Because Microsoft offers a slew of apps, Mich like the PS3, but then they offer cable apps to watch television and they have different music apps like Vevo. They have HBO GO and whole bunch of other stuff that I was unable to download on my PS3 that I really wish was there. Not to mention navigating my PS3 was a pain compared to my Xbox.

Then there is Kinect, which to mny was a huge fail, but to Mr was a great add-on. I use it so much if I want to search for movies and I have quite a few games that I play with it when I have family over. It is a crowd pleaser, and to me it is something that the PlayStation lacks as well.

Poll added.  Thanks for the suggestions!

P.S. During my Hardware Configuration class, I decided to look up the specs of the two and found that the PS4 is a much better powerhouse than the Xbox.  It's all about optimization, though.  I think the same thing can be said about previous generation of consoles (PS3 was the better system, hardware-wise, but as far as entertainment went, Xbox 360 won in many categories.)

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ps4-vs-xbox,review-1844-3.html

I think we've learned that specs don't matter with the Moto X. But as I have said before, I think the Xbox One is a more well rounded console whereas the PS4 is a gamers console. I'm also sure that the only time you'll se bettwer graphics on the PS4 is in exclusives. Most of the time the graphics are equal on both consoles because in order to save time they simply port one copy to another console rather than taking the time to optimize for each console.

Poll added.  Thanks for the suggestions!

So, does the Wii U not meet you *crack addict* gamers' definition of a "next gen console"?  Or do I need to edit your poll?

AJ

So, does the Wii U not meet you *crack addict* gamers' definition of a "next gen console"?  Or do I need to edit your poll?

AJ

Sorry bro, didn't really think of it since I initially made this thread to grab opinions on the consoles that haven't released yet.  I do have a Wii-U, as well. Lol!

I think we've learned that specs don't matter with the Moto X. But as I have said before, I think the Xbox One is a more well rounded console whereas the PS4 is a gamers console. I'm also sure that the only time you'll se bettwer graphics on the PS4 is in exclusives. Most of the time the graphics are equal on both consoles because in order to save time they simply port one copy to another console rather than taking the time to optimize for each console.

This is why I think the 360 had better graphics in general.  The Playstation 3 had more power, but was limited to 360 ports and often Developers sacrificed certain aspects with porting over - making the Playstation version somewhat obsolete.  I'm a big time RPG fan and I've noticed that patches are prioritized on the 360 while most of the time the PS3 will be left behind.  I'm think this is probably related to lack of funds on Playstation (since it was free online).  I'm hoping this changes in the next generation.

Sorry bro, didn't really think of it since I initially made this thread to grab opinions on the consoles that haven't released yet.  I do have a Wii-U, as well. Lol!

I am mainly giving you guys a hard time.  But I am half joking, half serious.

Like wireless airlinks, video game systems do tend to run in generations.  In the modern video game era, NES and Sega Master System were the first gen.  Much later, Nintendo 64 and Sony PlayStation were of the same gen.  Likewise holds true for Nintendo GameCube, Sony PlayStation 2, and Microsoft Xbox.

So, exclusion of Nintendo Wii U strikes me as odd.  Maybe the generation lines have been blurred a bit now.  However, Wii U clearly belongs more with consoles released in 2013 than those released in 2006.

AJ

My next console will be a Steam Box.

Or a hypothetical high end android based XBMC Box. (ie something like boxee, but with android gaming + xbmc)

Microsoft and Sony both can KMA.

Because Microsoft offers a slew of apps, Mich like the PS3, but then they offer cable apps to watch television and they have different music apps like Vevo. They have HBO GO and whole bunch of other stuff that I was unable to download on my PS3 that I really wish was there. Not to mention navigating my PS3 was a pain compared to my Xbox.

Then there is Kinect, which to mny was a huge fail, but to Mr was a great add-on. I use it so much if I want to search for movies and I have quite a few games that I play with it when I have family over. It is a crowd pleaser, and to me it is something that the PlayStation lacks as well.

I disagree. If you don't want to pay for a subscription then Sony offers a lot more. On the flip side if you are ok with paying for a subscription then the Xbox comes out on top, particularly if you are a big NFL fan. I don't think content will be an issue. The issue will be if there is a charge and what people are willing to pay. It remains to be seen if the PS move system will have the same functionality as the MS Kinect. In either case it seems as if both have seen big upgrades.

Like wireless airlinks, video game systems do tend to run in generations.  In the modern video game era, NES and Sega Master System were the first gen.  Much later, Nintendo 64 and Sony PlayStation were of the same gen.  Likewise holds true for Nintendo GameCube, Sony PlayStation 2, and Microsoft Xbox.

So, exclusion of Nintendo Wii U strikes me as odd.  Maybe the generation lines have been blurred a bit now.  However, Wii U clearly belongs more with consoles released in 2013 than those released in 2006.

AJ

I don't appreciate your nintendo-centric /sega discriminatory post sir. SEGA GENESIS FOREVER!

I disagree. If you don't want to pay for a subscription then Sony offers a lot more. On the flip side if you are ok with paying for a subscription then the Xbox comes out on top, particularly if you are a big NFL fan. I don't think content will be an issue. The issue will be if there is a charge and what people are willing to pay. It remains to be seen if the PS move system will have the same functionality as the MS Kinect. In either case it seems as if both have seen big upgrades.

also PS+ is now required for online gaming on PS4.

I still believe that the Xbox One has the more robust offering of the two, in terms of multimedia. TV integration also seems pretty cool. And I think that Microsoft is also trying to give people with Xbox 360's a taste of Xbox One goodness with their cable apps for xFinity, FiOS, and TWC. 

Although you pay $60 a year, those $60 get you access to a lot of multimedia for a family. Additionally price doesn't prove to be a problem if the past serves as an example for what is to come. The Xbox had a $60 charge for gold and people don't seem to mind as long as they are getting access to tons of features that are not as accessible through the competitors console.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Gee, would you look at that! Xbox One entered full production with a GPU increase and a CPU increase to 1.75Ghz. That offsets the whole RAM thing...

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/xbox-one-production-cpu-boost/

I don't know that it offsets GDDR5 vs DDR3 RAM, no.  However, it's a nice bonus I suppose, even though it's less than a 10% increase which you'll probably not really notice honestly.  

I still believe that the Xbox One has the more robust offering of the two, in terms of multimedia. TV integration also seems pretty cool. And I think that Microsoft is also trying to give people with Xbox 360's a taste of Xbox One goodness with their cable apps for xFinity, FiOS, and TWC. 

Although you pay $60 a year, those $60 get you access to a lot of multimedia for a family. Additionally price doesn't prove to be a problem if the past serves as an example for what is to come. The Xbox had a $60 charge for gold and people don't seem to mind as long as they are getting access to tons of features that are not as accessible through the competitors console.

It's all a matter of perspective.

The only perspective is if you are willing to pay. Pony up the $60 and you have a superior amount of content with the Xbox. Personally x-box is not offering anything that is must have that I cant get on the PS4 for free.

I'm asking because I seriously don't know, but some have mentioned all the things you get with the 360 currently....like HBOgo and such...

If you pay for Xbox subscription..whatever the level is, where you can get that stuff, do you get HBOgo viewing privileges with that? Or, like with my Android app, do you have to currently be subscribed with your satellite/cable in order to view it?

I know many people use their xbox/ps3 for media and things besides gaming...but the most I've ever done with my PS3, and I mean ANY of the 3 Ps3s I've had, is watched ONE two-hour movie on Netflix. I have satellite on the same TV as my PS3, so if I wanted to watch TV, I would use the device I pay monthly bills to do so with...but when I want to  game, I flip on the PS3,

In fact, I can't remember the last time I turned on the Ps3 to do something besides play CoD;BO2, or Battlefield 3...

But I wondered since I saw that if MS included viewing subs with the 360-xbox live sub, or if that was separate...

It would be great if it was an all-inclusive thing, but I'm sure I would have heard something about it if this was true..but had to ask...

Same could be said for PS3 tho, if the $49 I paid for PSN+ included Netflix, Amazon, etc as part of it..like a licensing deal with all PS3 users, so they could use the device only to access unlimited streaming with those apps for the PS3...but I know that's not part of the PSN+...

I actually only paid for 1 of my 2 PSN+ subs....got one year free with my white PS3 purchase back in March...

Probably neither; my current PS3 is used only occasionally and the soon-to-be Xbox One is reported

NOT to function as a Media Extender for MS Media Center; so the whole concept of HTPC is being

re-jiggered by MS & the cable monopolies; yes, the Xbox One can control SOME TVs with cutsey voice

controls but unlike the Xbox 360 one CANNOT stream live or recorded TV from one's

central PC via media center over a home network system; since I'm not a GAMER neither upgrade

is in my future unless things change between now & November

I'm the minority in that I have used my Xbox360 extensively for Netflix, FiOS, etc. since I do not have a STB in my room. I look forward to the One, and what other capabilities they will add. 

Plus having the HDMI passthrough will come in handy, since the game collection I have no is not backwards compatible, I can still leave my 360 hooked up through the One.

You still need to pay for a subscription to HBO, Netflix, Hulu, etc. I am not sure about the new PS4, but the advantage of the PS3 is you don't have to pay for a Plus account to use the apps like you do with the Xbox360.

I know this is a minor point, but I never see software updates to the magnitude that I see for the PS3. I normally use only my 360, but every so often when I fire up the PS3, I have a 20 minute wait for an update.

The only updates I've had for PS3, and I get them AS they come out, are for new features or security...which the past 6 have only been minor (we're on 4.46 now)

It's not that often, as you might think, that Sony pushes firmware. The last 3 have only been April, March, October. Here's a list: (most of these were small, from 4.00 to 4.10 was under 30mb, 4.10 to 4.11 was under 10mb, etc) The only big updates they have are full version changes, like from 3.73 to 4.10...when the first number changes, it's a major change, with new features, the second number is usually a new app or changes in the XMB, and the last number indicates a small security patch or add-on)

• Version 4.41
  • April 25, 2013
  • Version 4.40
  • March 21, 2013
  • Version 4.31
  • October 30, 2012

Shows how much I use my PS3 :)

But honestly, I only got it because I wanted to see if I would like it, and I'll probably do the same with the PS4 eventually, if a particular game or series drives me to it.

I was a huge Halo fan, so Microsoft had me at Cortana.

AJ

So, where's the Sega Dreamcast in all that, huh!? HUH!?