MacinJosh

Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

Here is the Sprint PR:  http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-to-launch-nexus-5-by-lg-smartphone-on-nov-8-14999-with-sprint-unlimited-data-guarantee-for-life.htm?view_id=8028

Nexus 5 will become tri-band enabled with a software update in early 2014.

• Like 4

How are you determining the Play Store version will be activated by Sprint? I'm not seeing anything referencing that in the Play Store.

I think we know why Verizon isn't on with the Nexus 5 now.  They probably wouldn't agree to sell it unlocked in the Google Play store.

Robert

• Like 1

I still worry until I activate it, but I'm not sure how they could be more clear about the "Unlocked" portion of the page.  Apparently, no AT&T carrying it as a carrier though...hm.

How are you determining the Play Store version will be activated by Sprint? I'm not seeing anything referencing that in the Play Store.

The technical specs section on Nexus 5 is 3 panes wide. If you hit the right arrow twice you'll see the section showing unlocked on TMo and Sprint. 

I'm getting multiple checkout problems. Let's see if this clears up soon...

I just bought a 16GB white one!

Robert

LOL, I just bought the 16gb black one.

• Like 1

Also, the link to pre-order from Sprint is down, leads to a 404 error.

Poor LG G2 people...

Nexus 5 by LG is the first Android™ 4.4, KitKat, smartphone capable of using the tri-band Sprint 4G LTE2 network.

• Like 1

Only thing holding me back is that 23000mAh battery vs. 3000 with the G2.  The difference is substantial.

You can use it on AT&T.  I will use it on Sprint initially, but will move it over to my AT&T line when I leave Sprint service in the next month.  Ahh, portability.  What we always wanted!

Robert

• Like 10

Any idea how long Google takes to ship? I chose 2 days instead of the other option.

Someone explained it earlier, but if you go to the page (for example:  https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_5_black_32gb).  Go down to technical specifications, and hit the right arrow a couple of times on the edge of the page.  It eventually tells you about the radios in it, and then says:

Supported Service
Unlocked: Use with any provider that offers service on Nexus 5 supported networks
Carriers: T-Mobile, Sprint

Radios are:

Network

2G/3G/4G LTE
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Not sure how they could be more clear.  If it doesn't work for some reason, you have 15 days to return:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2411741?hl=en-GB

Return policy

If for any reason you do not wish to keep your device, you have up to 15 days from the date the device is delivered to you to initiate a return in accordance with the Return Instructions described below. You are responsible for returning the device in its original packaging with any accessories as soon as possible and at your own cost. You agree to comply with any instructions provided within the return authorization form. Google will issue a refund in your Google Wallet account for the amount paid for the device within 30 days. If you fail to return the device in accordance with this Return Policy, we may deduct costs for recovering that device from any refund Google provides to you.

Also, the link to pre-order from Sprint is down, leads to a 404 error.

PR says the preorder link goes live tomorrow (November 1). On One Up, the price works out to $450/$500, so you're paying a $100 premium over buying from Play Store to pay over 24 months.

The major question is how much of a PITA it will be to get the microSIM from Sprint for the unlocked Play Store edition.

Any idea how long Google takes to ship? I chose 2 days instead of the other option.

My pending order page says it leaves the warehouse on 11/5... I've never ordered a device from google but I'm guessing it ships from California?

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm beyond excited :DDDDD HAPPY HALLOWEEN GUYS AND GIRLS!

-Luis

Any difference between buying it directly from Google at $349 or through Sprint at $149? Besides the $200 obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pending order page says it leaves the warehouse on 11/5... I've never ordered a device from google but I'm guessing it ships from California?

No usually Kentucky. Or another ups warehouse.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I ordered, and then went back and read the info.  :lol:

I didn't want to miss out on the first wave of devices.  I bought the Nexus 4 that way too.  And people who waited just a few more minutes had to wait days to be able to order again.

Robert

• Like 1

Any difference between buying it directly from Google at $349 or through Sprint at $149? Besides the $200 obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None at all. You can buy it from google and activate it on sprint. 

I just bought a 16GB white one!

Robert

when you go to google wallet to check your receipt does your order show up as "pending" i tried to use my american express but it got denied due to fraud prevention and had to change the funding source to my debit card. idk if it should be showing pending or if its doing that since i changed the funding source.

A couple of random things:

I hope there isn't any BS about not getting updates on time.  I can only think of convoluted ways that this would happen, but since I've been held under the thumb of CDMA providers for so long, I'm not going to feel safe until that first one hits my handset.

Just curious to the people getting the white one:  What's the appeal?  I mean, you could ask the same about the black, I'm just asking, because while I think the white looks fine, it does nothing for me over the black...and having not had anything in a white or light color like that, I worry about staining and it looking dirty.  Anyone?

Edit:  Noticed this in the Sprint press release:

Nexus 5 will become tri-band enabled with a software update in early 2014.

Bummer, but eh, can't have everything I suppose.

Also, mine also says leaves warehouse on 11/5.  I picked 2 day shipping, which is only an extra 4 bucks, but I still feel like a bit of a sucker now, as my guess is that you'll get it by the weekend with the cheaper shipping anyway.

• Like 1