Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

Does anyone know if Sprint will activate these if bought through Google.  If so how are updates going to work? I thought you couldn't just pop in a sim for a cdma phone.  I know the LTE portion can be on a sim but as far as the CDMA radio, doesn't Sprint have to actually activate that for you?  In the past they wouldn't activate phones not bought through them or like radio shack. 

Edited by shifted

Does anyone know if Sprint will activate these if bought through Google.  If so how are updates going to work?  

Updates will come from google.

Another question, will it be a tri-band activated device on launch? Or will we need to wait for an update, a la the G2?

You need to wait according to Sprint's press release.  So whatever the issue is with the G2, it exists for the N5 too.

Robert

Hmm, so they can target updates based on which carrier you are on?  Since the sku is the same right?

It will likely come as an update to all N5 devices.  Since it is unlocked, it would need to be able to work on other carriers.  And vice versa.

Robert

It will be updated by Sprint at a later date a la the G2.

Any idea how Sprint is going to issue the update when they don't have control over the update channel anymore?  Will it be something like...PRL style updates or something?  Are we going to need to go out and sideload it, or maybe they'll work directly with Google?

I'm guessing no one has the answer, but just throwing it out there in case I missed it.

Edit:  Ok, well, maybe the answer is right above.  Do you think they'd push that update out to every handset though, regardless of whether it can use it or not?

• Like 1

Wow, I wonder how they pulled that off?  In the past it is what made Sprint nexus devices not quite as good.

Thats the thing, this time around its just one Nexus and not a series of different nexus's for different carriers.  Its just one worldwide model that supports as many radio configurations as possible.

Any idea how Sprint is going to issue the update when they don't have control over the update channel anymore?  Will it be something like...PRL style updates or something?  Are we going to need to go out and sideload it, or maybe they'll work directly with Google?

I'm guessing no one has the answer, but just throwing it out there in case I missed it.

Edit:  Ok, well, maybe the answer is right above.  Do you think they'd push that update out to every handset though, regardless of whether it can use it or not?

The update would come from Google.  I'm sure this was worked out in advance of the launch since Sprint is already mentioning it in their Press Release.  There is only one variant, and all of them would need it.  Even on other carriers.  So they can switch to Sprint in the future if they want.  It's completely unlocked.  It's a hard concept for us to fathom in the CDMA world.

Robert

• Like 12

Weird, even though this isn't my first nexus device this is the first time I have been this excited about a nexus release.

• Like 2

Argh, that's so disappointing that it's not tri-band enabled on launch. That's my main reason for picking this up. Who the hell knows what "early 2014" means. Could be May 30, since May is in the "earlier" part of the year. 

The update would come from Google.  I'm sure this was worked out in advance of the launch since Sprint is already mentioning it in their Press Release.  There is only one variant, and all of them would need it.  Even on other carriers.  So they can switch to Sprint in the future if they want.  It's completely unlocked.  It's a hard concept for us to fathom in the CDMA world.

Robert

Ha, well said.  It's true, I've been with Sprint so long, the idea seems so foreign.  And again, I just got done posting about how it's 1 SKU, then completely forgot that in that every handset would need it to keep it up to date if it ended up being activated on Sprint.  At least SOME people around here see the bigger picture...heh.

• Like 2

Anyone have any idea what the reception will be like on this device? I know noone has one on hand to test out but maybe offer some insight from having owned previous nexus devices on sprint or maybe even the g2 on another carrier.

I am not worried about a tri-band update, with it being open and unlocked, the dev's will figure out in good time how to enable tri-band, assuming its not a hard locked radio required update.

Hue hue hue

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/31/5051668/nexus-5-sprint-release-date-november-8-t-mobile-coming-weeks

Update: Sprint has priced the 16GB Nexus 5 at a whopping $449.99 off contract. So if it wasn't obvious before, you definitely want to buy this phone from Google Play if you're opposed to contracts. A company spokesperson tells us that customers will have no problem activating devices purchased from Google on its network.

I've never had an unlocked Android phone so this is all new to me. I have two quick questions. I currently have a cheap unlocked international phone with a world sim card from onesimcard.com. So with the Nexus 5, can I just take out the SIM card and put this in when I travel internationally and have my international service on this phone?

Second, I travel domestically to a few places that does not have good Sprint service. Can I buy a tmobile prepaid sim and pop that in for the days that I am in those areas? Their $2 per day unlimited voice, text, data service would be awesome in this situation.

It's funny because people's biggest peeve with CDMA is the lack of freedom (switching SIMs and go).  Now, with CDMA in the picture, this is niiiice.  Sprint's doing good here and I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this to see how well performance goes.