Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

The problem is if the Nexus 5 lacks engineering screens -- like the Nexus 4 last year -- then it is not suitable for wireless network tracking. It is basically an iPhone for the Android crowd.

AJ

Believe it or not, there's a whole gamut of capabilities in between wireless spectrum analyzer and iPhone. I would hesitate to claim that any phone lacking an engineering screen is the equivalent of the most locked-down phone on the planet... especially when the device in question is arguably the most hackable phone on the market, intended for developers...

ETA: [but I digress.]

Believe it or not, there's a whole gamut of capabilities in between wireless spectrum analyzer and iPhone.

As someone who spent $1700 out of pocket for a spectrum analyzer to conduct S4GRU research, I do not think that you are in position to lecture me on that stated "gamut of capabilities."  I am well aware.  And I stand by my assertion.  If it does not have internal engineering screens, then it does not pass the wireless network tracking litmus test.  It is just a general use handset.

AJ

As someone who spent $1700 out of pocket for a spectrum analyzer to conduct S4GRU research, I do not think that you are in position to lecture me on that stated "gamut of capabilities."  I am well aware.  And I stand by my assertion.  If it does not have internal engineering screens, then it does not pass the wireless network tracking litmus test.  It is just a general use handset.

AJ

Without getting too far into this, I'm well aware you know what you're talking about. That's why your statement, likely to be influential here, that it's "basically an iPhone for the Android crowd" should be, at the very least, given some context.

To those who have a Nexus 4:  Is the Nexus 4 camera really as bad as some make it out to be?  Some say that the Nexus 5 camera will barely be an improvement over the supposedly-crummy N4 camera.

Is the N4 camera really that bad?  Regardless, for those who know about camera's than I do, do the specs for the Nexus 5 camera suggest that it will be crummy, average, above average, or awesome?  I'm guessing not "awesome" because of the lower pixel count.  I hear that OIS allows the camera to keep the shutter open longer, which helps in lower light situations.

For reference, I have an original Evo 4G which is also an 8 megapixel camera.  To my untrained eye, outdoor pictures are usually pretty good, but indoor and low-light photos are grainy and sometimes unfocused.

Can I safely assume that the Nexus 5 camera will be a clear upgrade over my Evo's camera?

I'm with you. The IR blaster on the G2 doesn't do a whole lot for me (I prefer my harmony ultimate). If it's only available through sprint channels I may reconsider and put my focus back on the G2. Hows the 4G up in Brunswick?

What about the battery?  I thought it was 2300mAH for the Nexus and 3000mAh for the G2.  Initial reports in the G2 users thread say the battery is good but not amazing.  

I figure the LG bloatware will cost about 700mAH battery per day, so I'm personally calling it a draw. You can make that decision on your own though on what the software will burn through.

I assume you mean software mods too, because there is no way a few bloatware apps use 700 mah per day.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Without getting too far into this, I'm well aware you know what you're talking about. That's why your statement, likely to be influential here, that it's "basically an iPhone for the Android crowd" should be, at the very least, given some context.

I think describing a Nexus handset as "an iPhone for the Android crowd" is pretty apropos.  Those people want the standard OS -- just like with iOS.  And they get ridiculously obsessed with having access to the latest OS updates -- just like with iOS.

AJ

I think describing a Nexus handset as "an iPhone for the Android crowd" is pretty apropos.  Those people want the standard OS -- just like with iOS.  And they get ridiculously obsessed with having access to the latest OS updates -- just like with iOS.

AJ

I think your underestimating googles interpretation of the perfect vision of Android OS, that's why the nexus line exist. Not to downplay that the lack of engineering screen as being a huge downer. But, this phone strikes an excellent balance between specs, software and hack-ability, and to compare with a phone that cant even map on sensorly, is somewhat unjust in my opinion.

• Like 1

I just bought a Spigen case for the Nexus 5. It will be my next phone. My plan was to buy it with no contract and if i dont see an improvement on the Sprint network i would jump ship to ATT. Do you think if Sprint sells it that it will be locked to their network?

I'm with you. The IR blaster on the G2 doesn't do a whole lot for me (I prefer my harmony ultimate). If it's only available through sprint channels I may reconsider and put my focus back on the G2. Hows the 4G up in Brunswick?

4g>  that's funny..i'm lucky to have anything at all.  Fredco here in maryland is not even 50% nv started...i have not been able to ascertain the holdup..but it would not surprise me if the GOBN is screwing with sprint here.

I think your underestimating googles interpretation of the perfect vision of Android OS, that's why the nexus line exist. Not to downplay that the lack of engineering screen as being a huge downer.

Well, to be clear, we cannot confirm the absence of engineering screens.  Previous Sprint variant Nexus devices did include them, but those devices were all sold on contract.

I suspect the tradeoff in this case will be off contract sales versus engineering screens.  Any Nexus 5 sold through Google Play probably will lack engineering screens -- just as the Nexus 4 did last year.  However, if Sprint sells the Nexus 5 directly, it probably will include engineering screens.  Of course, the tradeoff likely will be cost, since Sprint is apt to sell the $350 handset for $200 on contract.  Not a good deal.

AJ

Well, to be clear, we cannot confirm the absence of engineering screens.  Previous Sprint variant Nexus devices did include them, but those devices were all sold on contract.

I suspect the tradeoff in this case will be off contract sales versus engineering screens.  Any Nexus 5 sold through Google Play probably will lack engineering screens -- just as the Nexus 4 did last year.  However, if Sprint sells the Nexus 5 directly, it probably will include engineering screens.  Of course, the tradeoff likely will be cost, since Sprint is apt to sell the $350 handset for $200 on contract.  Not a good deal.

AJ

Hmm, that's an interesting take, considering that i don't plan on leaving sprint anytime soon, I would consider the locked sold-through-Sprint version of the phone as long as the subsidized price isn't outrageous ($199 would not be good for a $350 phone but maybe would be for a 32gb version vs 16gb) but I guess we will know the answer to those questions soon enough.

Edited by nexgencpu

Hmm, that's an interesting take, considering that i don't plan on leaving sprint anytime soon, I would consider the locked sold-through-Sprint version of the phone as long as the subsidized price isn't outrageous ($199 would not be good for a $350 phone but maybe would be for a 32gb version vs 16gb) but I guess we will know the answer to those questions soon enough.

Yes, the best of both worlds scenario would be for the Nexus 5 to be sold exclusively or additionally through Google Play -- and because Sprint is on board this time -- engineering screens come along for the ride.  Keep your fingers crossed.

I have an LG G2 on order.  I might end up with an HTC One max instead or in addition.  But if the Nexus 5 with engineering screens is available off contract for $350, I will likely pick one up as well for testing purposes.

AJ

• Like 1

Some new leaks and pictures:

Nexus-5-1-487x650.jpg

And we all know the value of benchmarks, but this is promising nonetheless...

BaseMark X is a cross-platform benchmark, which aims to test how good a device is for gaming. As it turns out the LG Nexus 5 scores 8% higher than its LG G2 sibling running on pretty much the same internals but with Android 4.2.2 in charge of operations. The Nexus 5 is also twice as fast as its Nexus 4 predecessor, but that is to be expected.

Some new leaks and pictures:

And we all know the value of benchmarks, but this is promising nonetheless...

Do they take these pictures with potatoes?

Any decent smartphone would take clearer pictures. These are so grainy and horrible. But the phone does look nice.

-Luis