Google Nexus 5 by LG Preview (LG D820)

MacinJosh

lol wtf? What's their "sell" on a phone that is exactly the same as Google's version, but costs hundreds of dollars more? I guess that price is there just to get the dummies who walk into a Sprint store, aren't eligible for an upgrade discount, and want to buy the phone on the spot.

I can't wait!!!!! hopefully my order gets bumped up and shipped sooner. ordered a 32GB White Nexus 5. :D

now the fun part is getting ahold of the SIM card for it. How likely are Sprint sales reps going to understand and be willing to give/sell the SIM card?

I can't think of a single reason anybody would buy this phone from Sprint off contract...

Only reason I can think is google's horrible supply issues.  I could see some people paying the $90 premium to get the device when they want vs playing the waiting and luck game with google getting them in stock and then hopefully you buying one before they sell out again.

You mean "I can't think of a single reason anybody would buy this phone from Sprint ON contract..."" right?

If you have no intention on leaving Sprint why would you pay $350 when you can get it for $150?  Not having a subsidized phone on a carrier that structures its pricing around subsidizing is wasting money.

Edited by shifted
  • Like 1

You mean "I can't think of a single reason anybody would buy this phone from Sprint ON contract..."" right?

No, he means "off". The reason to buy it "ON" contract is because it's cheaper - $199. But "off" contract from Sprint, at full price, it's hundreds more than Google's price.

If you have no intention on leaving Sprint why would you pay $350 when you can get it for $150?  Not having a subsidized phone on a carrier that structures its pricing around subsidizing is wasting money.

What if you are not eligible for an upgrade discount yet, like me.

• Like 1

Well, not everyone has an upgrade laying around. And if I did, I'd rather save the upgrade for a device where the subsidized price makes more of a difference.

If you have no intention on leaving Sprint why would you pay $350 when you can get it for $150? Not having a subsidized phone on a carrier that structures its pricing around subsidizing is wasting money.

You're assuming folks aren't going to use their subsidized upgrade for a different device that has a more handsome resale value.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I've read Sprint's PR about the Nexus 5 and I know pre-rders open tomorrow and the device will be available next Friday for $150 for the 16GB version on contract - BUT I was wondering if anyone can confirm that Sprint will be offering the 32 GB version as well (and what the pricing would be).

I know it seems like a stupid question but the PR doesn't mention the 32 GB version at all, nor does it mention pricing... I just think it's suspicious that they're not mentioning such a simple thing. Any help?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy the 32 GB version through Google Play or Sprint... I have an upgrade but I'm worried that they won't be offering the 32 GB version.

No, off. On makes sense if you don't mind a contract and want a cheaper device. OFF contact makes no sense since Google is selling an identical device for less.

No, off. On makes sense if you don't mind a contract and want a cheaper device. OFF contact makes no sense since Google is selling an identical device for less.

Exactly, buy it OFF contract from Google. I wouldn't buy it off contract from Sprint, that's not what I was trying to imply. 

Yeah not surprised about this, tmobile did the same thing with the nexus 4.  

• Like 1

Yeah not surprised about this, tmobile did the same thing with the nexus 4.

I think this may point to Google selling these things at cost to consumers (or maybe even a small loss). However, they probably refuse to sell them to carriers at a loss/even and add the mark up on them when carrier bound. This was my hypothesis with the Nexus 4. And I'm still holding on to that thought.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Will the phone require a micro SIM from Sprint or no SIM at all?

What do these bands mean, 800/850/1900?

CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10

Would be awesome if none so we could activate them online like I did with my Nexus S when I got it.  I know this is a different scenario though.

Will the phone require a micro SIM from Sprint or no SIM at all?

What do these bands mean, 800/850/1900?

CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10

Authenticating to LTE will definitely require a SIM. No idea on CDMA, although my guess is like the iPhone 5c/5s it will do SIM authentication rather than by ESN.

BC 10 is 800 (ESMR). I think 0 is 850 (Cellular) and 1 is 1900 (PCS).

• Like 1

If you have no intention on leaving Sprint why would you pay $350 when you can get it for $150? Not having a subsidized phone on a carrier that structures its pricing around subsidizing is wasting money.

Because you want the phone now.

Will Sprint charge that stupid $36 fee when you bought from Play Store since they aren't an authorized Sprint dealer (from what I've aware of)

I believe all activations incur this charge, no matter origin of the device

• Like 1