Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

Curious as to your experiences on this - I used the aux port hooked up to my Note 3 and the stereo on our van recently on our road trip. The sound was terrible. A lot of noise, couldn't get clear sound, was really annoying. I know my HTC Evo LTE had "beats" built in, but that thing sounded good in the car and this Note is awful. Same aux cord being used, same vehicle.

Why the poor quality sound?

I know when I hook up the Note2 in the car if I turn off any sound processing or EQ stuff on the phone otherwise it sounds like garbage. 

Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a Note 3, since it seems like all the issues have been worked out.  I know it's not tri-band, but I'll have a new phone within a year, more than likely, and will be able to get one, then.  I must say I had missed the larger screen of my Note 2, and the screen on the Note 3 is beautiful.  Unfortunately, it is overcast, so far here, today, so I don't yet know how it will look in sunlight.  From what I've seen, though, it is definitely better than the Note 2 or S4.  It is taking forever to get everything back to how it was, before, though.  And, I had a problem with LTE not working.  I don't get why it is so hard to switch devices on their site.  It seems like I always have to chat or call, and can't use the online process, myself.  Once I realized LTE wasn't working, it was very late.  So, when I chatted, this morning, they eventually had me call in and the rep was extremely helpful, although it was kind of obvious, and I should have thought to do this:  he had me swap the SIM.

I do have two questions for anyone who might have answers, though.  First, is it a Bad Thing™ that the SIM cards are not matched up with the phones they originally were shipped with?  And, why would the online page not work to swap in a Note 3 for an S4?  I understand going from a feature phone to a smartphone, or a blackberry to an android, requiring a rep to do the swap, but from an S4 to a Note 3 seems perfectly straightforward.

Thanks!

Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a Note 3, since it seems like all the issues have been worked out. I know it's not tri-band, but I'll have a new phone within a year, more than likely, and will be able to get one, then. I must say I had missed the larger screen of my Note 2, and the screen on the Note 3 is beautiful. Unfortunately, it is overcast, so far here, today, so I don't yet know how it will look in sunlight. From what I've seen, though, it is definitely better than the Note 2 or S4. It is taking forever to get everything back to how it was, before, though. And, I had a problem with LTE not working. I don't get why it is so hard to switch devices on their site. It seems like I always have to chat or call, and can't use the online process, myself. Once I realized LTE wasn't working, it was very late. So, when I chatted, this morning, they eventually had me call in and the rep was extremely helpful, although it was kind of obvious, and I should have thought to do this: he had me swap the SIM.

I do have two questions for anyone who might have answers, though. First, is it a Bad Thing™ that the SIM cards are not matched up with the phones they originally were shipped with? And, why would the online page not work to swap in a Note 3 for an S4? I understand going from a feature phone to a smartphone, or a blackberry to an android, requiring a rep to do the swap, but from an S4 to a Note 3 seems perfectly straightforward.

Thanks!

I spoke with a Sprint rep about SIM swapping last night, since I got my Nexus 5 and Sprint SIM yesterday, so I hope this answers your question... He basically told me that the SIM has to be associated with the device for it to work properly. When you swap your SIM to a new device, it must be associated once again or it doesn't work. He said that Sprint is not like ATT/T-Mobile where you can swap SIM's and it just works.

As for, is it a "bad thing"... No it's not... They don't care as long as service is active and your bill is paid. ;) These SIM's can be reactivated and moved around all over... At least that's what the Sprint rep said.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 HD.

• Like 1

As for, is it a "bad thing"... No it's not... They don't care as long as service is active and your bill is paid. ;) These SIM's can be reactivated and moved around all over... At least that's what the Sprint rep said.

Good to know, thanks!

TRIBAND! The note 3 for sprint supports triband!

https://db.tt/JdfaFvXy

Proof!

My mom just got this beast today.

I need to get msl and enable them in submenu.

Welcome to last month. We have known about that screen for quite a while. It is proof of nothing, so do not get excited. Note 3 hardware does not support tri band LTE, rendering that menu screen irrelevant. But software often leaves in vestigial menus.

AJ

Welcome to last month. We have known about that screen for quite a while. It is proof of nothing, so do not get excited. Note 3 hardware does not support tri band LTE, rendering that menu screen irrelevant. But software often leaves in vestigial menus.

AJ

If we're getting technical, wouldn't the hardware support but it just wasn't designed that way and wasn't FCC approved?

If we're getting technical, wouldn't the hardware support but it just wasn't designed that way and wasn't FCC approved?

The Note 3 supports SVLTE. Do you really think it also has tri band hardware?

AJ

The Note 3 supports SVLTE. Do you really think it also has tri band hardware?

AJ

That's not what I meant, I mean that it has the same SoC and modem as the G2 and N5, Now of course, it was never built for Tri band hence my "designed" comment.

That's not what I meant, I mean that it has the same SoC and modem as the G2 and N5, Now of course, it was never built for Tri band hence my "designed" comment.

If it does not have the proper antennas, amps, filters, and RF paths, then the "hardware does not support tri band LTE." Plain and simple.

AJ

If it does not have the proper antennas, amps, filters, and RF paths, then the "hardware does not support tri band LTE." Plain and simple.

AJ

But....maybe, right? Maybe it really is tri-band capable and Samsung just didn't realize it...I mean, Peter Pan did learn to fly with enough pixie dust...you never know, right?

AJ

The people on XDA keep holding out that some magical OTA update is going to somehow magically add all the missing hardware overnight all without ever being certified by the FCC.

The people on XDA keep holding out that some magical OTA update is going to somehow magically add all the missing hardware overnight all without ever being certified by the FCC.

To me the bottom line is: So What! Most places do not even have single band LTE!

I am happy to have band 25 which is what my area is starting to have and that's all that matters.

It will be 3~5 years (maybe more) till Tri-band will be useable on Sprint.

Lateck,

PS: I still love my N3 and will stay with Sprint.

They're probably holding out hope.  If you recall, the Nexus 4 was not accepted to be LTE-capable, but it was.  Of course, Google disabled the radio when it became known due to it not being certified.  This is probably the only hope they have for the Note 3, although I honestly doubt it supports TriBand since we've confirmed it's SvLTE.

To me the bottom line is: So What! Most places do not even have single band LTE!

I am happy to have band 25 which is what my area is starting to have and that's all that matters.

Uh, no.  I am sorry, but you Arizona peeps think that your plight is representative of the rest of the Sprint network.  It is not.  Your markets were just near the end of the line.  And that is just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.  However, "most places" in the Sprint network have at least some band 25 LTE 1900 by now.  Plus, your pessimistic projection about tri band usability is way out of whack.

AJ

Not true. There are places where there is Band 26 and Band 41 sites accepted now. It is all about geography and where you will use the device.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Uh, no.  I am sorry, but you Arizona peeps think that your plight is representative of the rest of the Sprint network.  It is not.  Your markets were just near the end of the line.  And that is just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.  However, "most places" in the Sprint network have at least some band 25 LTE 1900 by now.  Plus, your pessimistic projection about tri band usability is way out of whack.

AJ

You are right. Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah and the eastern 2/3's of California is a small unimportant part of the country :-)

Sprint is improving but sloooowly out west. But, they are improving.

Tri-band is still a dream here. But a real dream that can come true.

Sorry to hit a soft spot with my long guess.

Lateck,

You are right. Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah and the eastern 2/3's of California is a small unimportant part of the country :-)

It is not "most."  That means a majority of the country.  And that was my point.

Look, I get it -- everyone thinks that his commonly used wireless coverage area is the "most" important.  But that is not the way the Network Vision rollout works.

AJ

Dear Forum Members

I have recently purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Before that I had Note 2. 

I have noted that Note 3 suffers from poor received signal level compared to Note 2. Also when I do a throughput test (by using Speedtest application from ookla) i tend to get lower throughput.

I would like to know that if any other forum members have observed the same phenomena.

The baseband version of my Note 3 is: N9005XXUDMJ7

Regards

Dear Forum Members

I have recently purchased Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Before that I had Note 2. 

I have noted that Note 3 suffers from poor received signal level compared to Note 2. Also when I do a throughput test (by using Speedtest application from ookla) i tend to get lower throughput.

I would like to know that if any other forum members have observed the same phenomena.

The baseband version of my Note 3 is: N9005XXUDMJ7

Regards

Compared to a Note 2, my Note 3 is reporting a slightly better signal, and a lot more throughput.

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to a Note 2, my Note 3 is reporting a slightly better signal, and a lot more throughput.

This has been my experience, also, from casual comparisons.  With a Note 2 side-by-side with my Note 3, I tend to hold onto LTE longer, and it seems like it is downloading faster (I've not done any speed tests to verify that).  However, the download speed appearing faster could be due to the phone just being faster, overall.  Definitely the best phone I've ever had!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my Note 3 Dec 31.  I'm having an issue with "S Note".  Way too frequently, when I try and open the app, I get an error message "Unfortunately S Note has stopped". 

Does anyone know what the cause of this is or how to fix it?

I found a thread on XDA, saying to install the "S Note widget", open it start a new note then close it and the problem with the "S Note" app stopping will go away.  This did not work for me. 

I would appreciate any solutions that anyone may have.

I'm using Dolphin browser and it often crashes on my Note 3 as well.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!