Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

Since it lists GSM, can it take a ATT sim card or Tmobile sim card for a monthly plan?

No.  Your question was already answered above.  Did you not see that post?

The answer is more of a maybe than an outright no. Whether or not there's a region-lock is a moot point for this question, since the question was concerning domestic GSM. The region-lock seems to go away after initial activation anyway.

Out of the box, Samsung (at the request of Sprint) blocks at the software level certain MNC's belonging to ATT & T-Mobile. However, several people hacking away at it have managed to get their One's and S4's to work with those networks once they have done an international unlock. The Note 3 will be the third recent Sprint device to have a removable SIM, so it seems likely that similar to those other two, someone will eventually find a way to get ATT/T-Mo to work.

It is also possible that by next year the FCC will agree with the White House's petition to mandate full (domestic & international) unlocking by carriers after certain reasonable requirements are met, so people won't need to try to unlock it themselves. One can hope...

Finally remember, Glenavo, that only Band 25 LTE is supported, so you'd be limited to AT&T or T-Mo's HSPA+ 42 (Cat 8) network, where speeds could be faster than Sprint LTE, but latency will be all over the map. The rumored Nexus 5 may offer more flexibility in that regard.

No... we all lose.  Except my wife.  She wins (and gets an iPhone while I get her old crappy S4).... lol

The S4 is old and crappy? That's a bit harsh, don't you think? As of today it's still Samsung's flagship handset.

The S4 is old and crappy? That's a bit harsh, don't you think? As of today it's still Samsung's flagship handset.

One thing I hate about the internet is the lack of sarcasm detection (my fault).. of course the S4 is great... The joke was that because the GN3 didn't have tri-band -- myself and every other member of S4GRU lost (cause they can't have a tri-band GN3) -- but that because of me not getting a Note 3 -- my wife is now going to get an iPhone (since she missed hers when she went to the S4) and that I would be "stuck" with her S4 until next year...

No, if he does not list the market(s) where he tested the device, he is doing a disservice to consumers.  That is shoddy reporting.  Wireless coverage is all about location, location, location.

AJ

I don't completely disagree. I think he's right to mention that Sprint's network underperforms compared to AT&T and Verizon in many places, but he definitely should have mentioned his market and that Sprint is overhauling their entire network. I believe Android Central typically does that.

I was wondering if it has been noted in this topic which sizes will be available right away, just 32 or both 32 & 64. 

My guess is that they will only sell the 32 GB model since it has a removable SD card slot already.  I looked at ATT and Tmobile and they are both only selling the 32 GB model.

My guess is that they will only sell the 32 GB model since it has a removable SD card slot already. I looked at ATT and Tmobile and they are both only selling the 32 GB model.

Why make multiple models if you have to convince the big 4 to take them.

sent from the tiny N2

Why make multiple models if you have to convince the big 4 to take them.

sent from the tiny N2

the problem with taking on the 64 GB model at least for Sprint is that they would have to charge $399 or $449 which already breaks the threshold of what people are willing to pay and still be under contract.  If Sprint charge the 32 GB at $299 like they should have since that is what the other carriers charge then it might be ok to take on the 64 GB model.  I am sure Sprint did their research and realized that very few folks buy the higher capacity models since Samsung phones already have a SD card.  It is much cheaper to add mass capacity storage via SD card then to buy more flash internal storage.

Are there any Sprint employees here or someone with inside info as to when or if the pink Note 3 will be available? If it's not pink, my wifey won't get the phone. :)

Are there any Sprint employees here or someone with inside info as to when or if the pink Note 3 will be available? If it's not pink, my wifey won't get the phone. :)

I haven't heard or seen anything yet, except at the Samsung announcement day.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

My buddy came over with his last night. ATT so I can't comment on network or anything like that but in terms of hardward. GEEZ...it made my Note 2 feel and look like a toy.

That glossy plastic looks absolutely pathetic next to the textured back of the 3. From everything I've seen online, it didn't look significantly better, but when you actually have both devices side by side it isnt even close. It is a significant upgrade in terms of looks and hand feel.

The other major thing to note is the screen. My goodness it's impressive and bright. When I had the Note 2 and Note 3 screens side by side with brightness turned up, the 2's screen looked hazy or dull compared to the Note 3.

I know the whole tri band issue is frustrating, but the 3 is an incredible device from the hour or so that I played with it.

Has anyone that has picked up Note 3 or works at a Sprint store can confirm that the Note 3 uses CSIM card system like the iPhone 5s to be able to hot swap SIM cards between the iPhone 5s without phoning into Sprint?

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Has anyone that has picked up Note 3 or works at a Sprint store can confirm that the Note 3 uses CSIM card system like the iPhone 5s to be able to hot swap SIM cards between the iPhone 5s without phoning into Sprint?

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

I just came from my sprint store and I didn't even think to check or ask about it.  The note 3 is pretty nice(except for the look touchwiz) though but $700 off contract is a little beyond what I am willing to do right now especially with the nexus 5 coming in around half that price I am sure.  I would also rather pay 350(assuming that will be the price) with no contract for the nexus 5 than to pay $350 with a 2 year contract for the note 3.

I haven't heard or seen anything yet, except at the Samsung announcement day.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

Grgh, pink is so elusive.

I've never been a fan of the Note series but the Note 3 has definitely gotten my interest this time around.

My plan is to go to a corporate AT&T store and see if I like it. If I do, I'm gonna get the Note 3 from them and try it out for a couple weeks before returning.

If I can adjust to its size & I love it, I'll get one through Sprint later on. :) The reason why I'm doing this roundabout is b/c the AT&T price is lower & I qualify for no activation fee through corporate discount.

I just came from my sprint store and I didn't even think to check or ask about it.  The note 3 is pretty nice(except for the look touchwiz) though but $700 off contract is a little beyond what I am willing to do right now especially with the nexus 5 coming in around half that price I am sure.  I would also rather pay 350(assuming that will be the price) with no contract for the nexus 5 than to pay $350 with a 2 year contract for the note 3.

Darn it!!!  I was hoping to get some closure on this issue since the idea of CSIMs being used on all future Sprint LTE phones is intriguing and I am sure many people would enjoy.  I would like to avoid making excessive trips to Sprint stores or phoning Sprint CSRs in order to swap devices.

I checked out the Note 3 today and can confirm what we have all been expecting. Settings > About states the model as SM-N900P. >_

Game.  Set.  Match.  Mr. S4GRU advances to the semifinals.

AJ

• Like 3

Darn it!!!  I was hoping to get some closure on this issue since the idea of CSIMs being used on all future Sprint LTE phones is intriguing and I am sure many people would enjoy.  I would like to avoid making excessive trips to Sprint stores or phoning Sprint CSRs in order to swap devices.

You know you can also swap devices online as well right?  Please say yes

I went to the Sprint store and I couldn't resist... I picked up a Galaxy Note 3.  :D

The only thing I'm bothered by so far is the hideous 4GLTE icon in the status bar.

WATTT?!??!? What does the 4G LTE icon look like?  Can you post a screenshot?

• Like 1

Took forever to get mine. System did want to let me do one up. Liking it so far but having issues with the play store. Browsing fast as hell but downloading in the market is barely working