Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

that is what I said.  Its hard to understand what Samsung is doing.  If the HTC One Max is triband LTE I really have to question Samsung and Sprint's thinking in making a single band LTE device like this at this point.  I highly doubt its because Sprint thought users of the Note 3 would prefer SVLTE over triband LTE.  I wish the mass amount of Sprint customers understood what triband LTE meant and how much of a bummer it is of the lack of support for it.  Why the GS4 mini got triband and not the Note 3 we will never know.

Are we giving up hope already? lol

Really will be a bummer and have a huge impact on my decision.

Are we giving up hope already? lol

Really will be a bummer and have a huge impact on my decision.

What is there to hang on to?  A "S" variant.  I already made a post #387 with a link to show that the "S" variant is for SK Telekom which means that we won't be seeing a "S" variant hitting the FCC. Isn't this clear enough?

http://techkiddy.blogspot.com/2013/08/samsung-galaxy-note-iiism-n900ssm.html#

Yeah this is a huge bummer on my decision as well.  I am going to look for alternatives now.

Not sure what to think at this point. I know HTC would have to do some major RF fixes before I look at their device line again. NV has stalled in my metro area anyways for the past few months along with the 1x800 rollout so I have plenty of time before 800 LTE gets here.

Not sure what to think at this point. I know HTC would have to do some major RF fixes before I look at their device line again. NV has stalled in my metro area anyways for the past few months along with the 1x800 rollout so I have plenty of time before 800 LTE gets here.

Does the HTC One have major RF issues?

Does the HTC One have major RF issues?

Wouldn't say major like the EVO LTE had but the one I played around with was lacking when compared to the S3 and Note2. Also compared it to the sales guys LG Optimus G and it wasn't that great either.

What is there to hang on to?  A "S" variant.  I already made a post #387 with a link to show that the "S" variant is for SK Telekom which means that we won't be seeing a "S" variant hitting the FCC. Isn't this clear enough?

http://techkiddy.blogspot.com/2013/08/samsung-galaxy-note-iiism-n900ssm.html#

Yeah this is a huge bummer on my decision as well.  I am going to look for alternatives now.

Why in the hell would you look at certifications for Korean phone models as representative of US or international models? The ROK manufacturers always have different designs and specifications for their home nation compared to what they sell internationally. Until one gets a FCC filing or other credible filing for a model specific to Sprint and not a foreign entity then do not assume and spread heresy. 

Edited by lilotimz

I highly doubt its because Sprint thought users of the Note 3 would prefer SVLTE over triband LTE.

Well, I am sticking to the SVLTE theory that I formulated to explain if the Note 3 turned out not to be tri band.

A normal sized person looks like a tiny doofus if he uses one of the Note series as a phone held to the ear.  A person is thus more likely to use one of the Note series as a phone held prone in the hand, concomitantly, more likely to notice the absence of SVLTE than a user of a normal sized phone held to the ear where the screen is not even visible.

AJ

Why in the hell would you look at certifications for Korean phone models as representative of US or international models?

Tim, go back a few pages and see the post quoted below.  Some have assumed that the "S" variant is for Sprint, but that has been largely refuted as being for SK Telecom.

Per androidauthority.com, here are the following variants of the Note 3. This article was made before IFA, so it is old news but has the model numbers that Samsung is using.

SM-N900 – base International Version of device based on Exynos SoC

SM-N9005 – international version based on Snapdragon SoC (probably Snapdragon 800)

SM-N900A – U.S. AT&T Version of Device

SM-N900T – T-Mobile Version

SM-N900V – Verizon Version

SM-N900S – Sprint Version

SM-N900R4 – Unknown, but probably another carrier variant (Rogers?), or simply test version passed to the testers

SM-N900P – Unknown, but probably another carrier variant.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-3-mini-anyone-three-different-sizes-249412/

AJ

Why in the hell would you look at certifications for Korean phone models as representative of US or international models? The ROK manufacturers always have different designs and specifications for their home nation compared to what they sell internationally. Until one gets a FCC filing or other credible filing for a model specific to Sprint and not a foreign entity then do not assume and spread heresy. 

Tim, go back a few pages and see the post quoted below.  Some have assumed that the "S" variant is for Sprint, but that has been largely refuted as being for SK Telecom.

AJ

Exactly what AJ said.  It was rumored from 2 months ago and believed to be  that the Sprint model would be the SM-N900S but my link shows that the "S" model is for SK Telekom which disproves that theory.  Thus we are to believe that the Sprint model is instead going to be the SM-N900P which from the FCC docs show from a few pages back that it is single band LTE only.

Tim here is the FCC link to the Sprint model

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=134996&fcc_id=A3LSMN900P

AJ

Why the change in naming scheme? Didn't all (or most) previous Samsung Sprint phones start with SPH? 

Well, I am sticking to the SVLTE theory that I formulated to explain if the Note 3 turned out not to be tri band.

A normal sized person looks like a tiny doofus if he uses one of the Note series as a phone held to the ear.  A person is thus more likely to use one of the Note series as a phone held prone in the hand, concomitantly, more likely to notice the absence of SVLTE than a user of a normal sized phone held to the ear where the screen is not even visible.

AJ

You trying to say I have a big head?  ;) 

This definitely changes things for me if it is true.  Love the Note2's size...hate the 1900 LTE coverage..was hoping to have a Note3 along with 800LTE to fill the gaps.  Not sure I can stomach going back to a smaller device, the Note2 has me spoiled.  Even the wife wants a Note3 now.  I will be buying two of them probably in the next 4-5 months...might just have to be the 700mhz LTE flavor for us unless there is another device out their to fit the requirements.

• Like 1

Why the change in naming scheme? Didn't all (or most) previous Samsung Sprint phones start with SPH? 

Yes, but most all Samsung handsets headed to VZW and AT&T start with "SCH" and "SGH" prefixes, respectively.  Across the board with the Note 3, those prefixes seem to have been tossed out the window.

AJ

You trying to say I have a big head?  ;)

This definitely changes things for me if it is true.  Love the Note2's size...hate the 1900 LTE coverage..was hoping to have a Note3 along with 800LTE to fill the gaps.  Not sure I can stomach going back to a smaller device, the Note2 has me spoiled.  Even the wife wants a Note3 now.  I will be buying two of them probably in the next 4-5 months...might just have to be the 700mhz LTE flavor for us unless there is another device out their to fit the requirements.

So does this mean you are switching carriers?

Yes, but most all Samsung handsets headed to VZW and AT&T start with "SCH" and "SGH" prefixes, respectively.  Across the board with the Note 3, those prefixes seem to have been tossed out the window.

AJ

Ah, man, that was one of the things that I enjoyed because it made it easy to tell which model was for Sprint.

Lets not forget that us Note II users have to "hack" a different PRL on our phone because there are issues in some markets with 800MHz SMR to be able to get it at all. Maybe Samsung is dropping the ball in band performance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lets not forget that us Note II users have to "hack" a different PRL on our phone because there are issues in some markets with 800MHz SMR to be able to get it at all. Maybe Samsung is dropping the ball in band performance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's a Shentel thing and supposedly there is an update to their sites that will be pushed soon.

That 'P' model has to be it. The CDMA BC10 is what makes it for sure - no other provider on the planet uses CDMA BC10, other than Sprint. It's unfortunate, but I don't think Sprint's to blame. Samsung probably said well you can have a single band LTE model or not carry the phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Engadget just posted an article saying sprint note 3 passed through fcc?

Sent from my rooted G Note 2 Using TapaTalk 4 Beta

According o Engadget, A second model, the SM-N900R4, appears destined for LTE-capable CDMA carriers such as Sprint, US Cellular and numerous regional US providers. (direct quote of the article). So, I must guess that unless someone else provides more detail...no one is sure what the Sprint model is.

According o Engadget, A second model, the SM-N900R4, appears destined for LTE-capable CDMA carriers such as Sprint, US Cellular and numerous regional US providers. (direct quote of the article). So, I must guess that unless someone else provides more detail...no one is sure what the Sprint model is.

Nope, this model doesn't include CDMA BC10 (CDMA 800):

"The device contains the following capabilities:

850/1900 CDMA/EvDO Rev0/A (BC0, BC1), Band 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 25 (5/10mhz) LTE, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN (DTS/NII) Bluetooth (1x, EDR, LE), NFC, ANT+"

Nor does it include triband LTE or any GSM/WCDMA. I'm guessing it's for the smaller regional carriers to allow roaming on Sprint 

The "R4" has USCC and C Spire written all over it, as it is only CDMA2000/LTE.  No GSM/W-CDMA.

Like it or not, my guess is that the "P" variant is for Sprint.

AJ

The R4 is USCC and/or C Spire. They always used a R in their model numbers.

That assumes there is an "S" variant submitted to the FCC OET.  We shall see.  But all of this has occurred in the last few hours.  I queried the FCC OET earlier today and found nothing new.  Josh, our FCC OET reporter, has not chimed in, so I may need to check if he has been asleep at his desk or playing video games again.

AJ

I was out working all day actually. Set up a booth at the Tulare Fair. Plus I helped tint a vehicle this afternoon. Sorry I wasn't available. Sprint data doesn't work at all in Tulare.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really believe that the Samsung SMN900P is the Sprint variant of the Galaxy Note 3. Sprint has been too quiet on whether or not the Note 3 is Tri-Band. If I'm right, this will be very disappointing for Note users.

• Like 1

Here is an interesting thing to consider.

According to the FCC docs, if this really is the Note 3, then it supports hotspot on 5.8 GHz Wi-Fi! That's a first that I have ever seen on Sprint LTE phones.

wifi%20hotspot.jpg