Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

yes, but att/tmobile can drop down to hspda and keep a simultaneous data connection going while on voice, which in most circumstances is still way better than suspending data entirely upon a call.

They can use CSFB to drop back to Rel 99 W-CDMA for voice, but I am not sure they can use HSPA enhancements while simultaneously on a voice call.

AJ

Something I never understood is why a call interrupts your data session, but a text doesn't? Or does a text interrupt it too, but just for such a brief moment that you don't notice?

SMS is such a tiny chunk of data that it can be inserted into a traffic channel with no voice interruption.

AJ

• Like 1

Something I never understood is why a call interrupts your data session, but a text doesn't? Or does a text interrupt it too, but just for such a brief moment that you don't notice?

It used to on older handsets. I know my Mogul would drop for all split second. But I believe it goes along with what AJ said and what you said. So quick and a small data piece combined with the fast chipsets and you don't notice.

• Like 1

They can use CSFB to drop back to Rel 99 W-CDMA for voice, but I am not sure they can use HSPA enhancements while simultaneously on a voice call.

AJ

GSM devices cannot use HSPA while on voice call. I use the AT&T Note on T-Mobile. I have 4G LTE for data, but once I get a call or make a call, I quickly drop from LTE to UMTS (3G). It also takes a while to get back up to LTE after I end the call, usually it goes up to and remains on HSPA for a while. It probably takes a while to get back to LTE because of the scan time in the device. 

I also plan on buying the Note 3 as soon as I can if it has triband LTE. Any updates on the FCC docs coming through for the device? 

GSM devices cannot use HSPA while on voice call. I use the AT&T Note on T-Mobile. I have 4G LTE for data, but once I get a call or make a call, I quickly drop from LTE to UMTS (3G)...

UMTS, HSPA, LTE, whatever. We're getting away from the broader point. My original post didn't refer to the type of data connection accessible during a cellular call, just that it will still be available in some form. Even if was just 1x that was still available then in these new tri-band handsets, that wouldn't be so bad, as you could still get emails, MMS, and the like during long conversations.

So at a minimum, with AT&T/T-Mo you'll have UMTS. If the pattern holds, the VZW Note 3 will offer SVLTE. Assuming their Note 3 will be tri-band, the same phone on Sprint will have zilch. If Sprint's marketing department is thinking ahead, they're already preparing rebuttals to the "on our network, with this same phone you can talk and surf at the same time" ads that their competitors will pull from the video archives.

• Like 1

Is there a chance we can start a SVLTE and SVDO thread in General Topics and carry on there?  There has been little to no GN3 talk on here today as it has gotten off topic...  Personally I think it would be a neat feature to have the SVxxx coverage -- but I can totally live without it (I do sympathize with those that do need it)..

What I am REALLY looking forward to is an FCC document on this phone and a release date.

• Like 2

Is there a chance we can start a SVLTE and SVDO thread in General Topics and carry on there?  There has been little to no GN3 talk on here today as it has gotten off topic...  Personally I think it would be a neat feature to have the SVxxx coverage -- but I can totally live without it (I do sympathize with those that do need it)..

What I am REALLY looking forward to is an FCC document on this phone and a release date.

Until we have those FCC docs, there isn't too much else to talk about. As long as we're uncertain whether Samsung has decided whether SVLTE or tri-band is more important for Note 3 users, I think it's still a relevant discussion.

As for the release date, Samsung announced that the phone is coming to the US in October.

Until we have those FCC docs, there isn't too much else to talk about. As long as we're uncertain whether Samsung has decided whether SVLTE or tri-band is more important for Note 3 users, I think it's still a relevant discussion.

As for the release date, Samsung announced that the phone is coming to the US in October.

Yeah, but we are not talking about the chances of SVLTE in the GN3 anymore -- rather we are discussing how all the other carriers have it and Sprint does not... But I don't care... carry on.

So at a minimum, with AT&T/T-Mo you'll have UMTS. If the pattern holds, the VZW Note 3 will offer SVLTE. Assuming their Note 3 will be tri-band, the same phone on Sprint will have zilch. If Sprint's marketing department is thinking ahead, they're already preparing rebuttals to the "on our network, with this same phone you can talk and surf at the same time" ads that their competitors will pull from the video archives.

Why would the Verizon Note 3 be triband?  They are only deploying LTE on 750 and AWS spectrum.  Even if Verizon plans to begin refarming some PCS spectrum for LTE, that won't happen until sometime in 2015.  I highly doubt that Verizon will have LTE devices ready to support PCS LTE until sometime in 2016.

Why would the Verizon Note 3 be triband? They are only deploying LTE on 750 and AWS spectrum. Even if Verizon plans to begin refarming some PCS spectrum for LTE, that won't happen until sometime in 2015. I highly doubt that Verizon will have LTE devices ready to support PCS LTE until sometime in 2016.

Sorry, by "their", I was referring to Sprint, not Verizon.

Looks like ATT will begin selling the Galaxy Note 3 on Oct 1st with start taking preorders beginning Sept 6th. I hope Sprint sells the Galaxy Note 3 on Oct 4th or Oct 11th.

Verizon is also beginning to take preorders beginning Sept 6th. Sprint must jump on the ball and start offering preorders next week.

I am so glad that ATT is keeping the Galaxy Note 3 price at $299. I was not looking forward to any increase to $349.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/06/att-samsung-galaxy-note-3-pre-order/

You have a lot of negative posts here, flaming Sprint. Why would you be a customer of a company that you are so dissatisfied with? Sounds silly. Or, are you just trolling?

I don't get these customers either. If they have no faith that Sprint can carry out with their plan then leave or pay the ETF and move on. Even Sprint supporters here at S4GRU are not oblivious that Sprint has a long road ahead of them in terms of improving the network and that 3G is still for the most part very slow in areas that have not been NV upgraded. Its laughable too when they say that Sprint hasn't carried out anything that they have talked about. Triband LTE hotspots have already been released and its clear that the LG G2 does have Triband LTE capability. In addition 8 markets have been soft launched with LTE 2600. All we need to see is the first LTE 800 sites and we are golden. Its all about showing some progress and I feel Sprint has done that so far.

• Like 1

I don't get these customers either.  If they have no faith that Sprint can carry out with their plan then leave or pay the ETF and move on. Even Sprint supporters here at S4GRU are not oblivious that Sprint has a long road ahead of them in terms of improving the network and that 3G is still for the most part very slow in areas that have not been NV upgraded. 

Couldn't agree more with you on that.  I'm at a loss for words for these kind of people.  I think they have nobody to blame but themselves at that point.  Then again, some were just born to complain. 

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more with you on that.  I'm at a loss for words for these kind of people.  I think they have nobody to blame but themselves at that point.  Then again, some were just born to complain. 

One of my father's favorite quotes was: "Some people would complain if you hung them with new rope."

• Like 4

Interesting article and good to know that Samsung is trying to validate why they only went with a 3200 maH battery but BAH I would still have rather had a 3500 maH battery and still maintain this cool functionality.

Last time I thought of leaving because of data and voice, Sprint released wimax phones capable that did so. So you are telling me that never once while you are on the phone you have never gotten an email or some other data transmitted to your phone. If that's the case I've never used call waiting and Sprint can get rid of that feature as well. When did I learn that Svxx is being abandoned as more of a fact than a rumor? When not only the G2 is lacking, but the note 3 and the s4 mini. I learned it from reading this thread.  I frankly am not excited about anything sprint is going to do (or any company for that matter) until it's done. Triband means nothing until it's launched. Sprint has too many false starts and vaporware to get excited about anything prematurely (remember clearwire (wimax) and lightsquared???)  I'm still waiting for LTE in my home area and in my work area. It's kind of insane to reup your contract on promise of it getting better in 2 years. You are paying for service now, not for service in 2 years.

If sprint figures it out, I have absolutely no problem extending my contract. There is a reason that sprint credits me $50 a month and it's not because triband LTE is here and works so well (yet).

Overall, I agree with you. There's so many bad things that Sprint is doing compared to your usage and expectations. That's why I'm saying go ahead and jump ship. I'm not even saying it as a negative thing. You won't regret jumping ship from Sprint it sounds like.

As for the email statement, yes I have gotten an email while on a call. An important email, not so much. Again, you need to realize we have different priorities. I'm a firmware engineer, so any important emails I see immediately on my second monitor at work.

But also to your statement "You are paying for service now, not for service in 2 years." To each his own. That's exactly how you see it, so go ahead and jump ship. However, my priorities are different than yours, so I'm willing to have the extra patience to see if this Triband thing is as good as they make it out to be. If it's not as good as they say, then I'll be jumping ship too. As you said in another post, they are a company, not my mother. I have no loyalty to them; heck, I'm even trying to convince you to leave. You don't have the patience to wait, and that's not a bad thing at all. It just means you're tired of waiting, and it's ok to be dissatisfied with them.

As I've been saying, just leave Sprint. I lead a different life than you, so Sprint suffices in my lifestyle. For you, it sounds like your life will be so much better without Sprint. I know your getting $50 a month from them, but when you explain to us how much pain and suffering they are causing you, is that $50 really worth it?

Not sure, but has Sprint ever done a pre order before?

I want to say yes, but I've never actually done one or never have seen the need to do one. The only time I ever got a phone at launch was for the Evo 4G. I remember I was waiting for a good smartphone on Sprint, and when the Supersonic (Evo 4G) was announced, I was so excited, I lined up the night before at 4 AM and I was 10th in line to get it. The next day, my girlfriend walked into a Sprint store and bought her own Evo, and I was like "Why did I wake up at 4 AM?" Ever since then, I have actually never lined up, or bought a phone during launch day. They seem to stock these phones pretty well, and with my upgrade being in December, I don't think I'll be making the launch day of any of these Triband phones anyway.

I want to say yes, but I've never actually done one or never have seen the need to do one. The only time I ever got a phone at launch was for the Evo 4G. I remember I was waiting for a good smartphone on Sprint, and when the Supersonic (Evo 4G) was announced, I was so excited, I lined up the night before at 4 AM and I was 10th in line to get it. The next day, my girlfriend walked into a Sprint store and bought her own Evo, and I was like "Why did I wake up at 4 AM?" Ever since then, I have actually never lined up, or bought a phone during launch day. They seem to stock these phones pretty well, and with my upgrade being in December, I don't think I'll be making the launch day of any of these Triband phones anyway.

Now that I think of it, I think the S4 and HTC One did have one.

Wonder what the full price of the phone is going to be though, since I don't have an upgrade till May and want to get ride of this Galaxy 4G Epic Touch.

Now that I think of it, I think the S4 and HTC One did have one.

Wonder what the full price of the phone is going to be though, since I don't have an upgrade till May and want to get ride of this Galaxy 4G Epic Touch.

The pricing by the carriers is really weird.  According to Verizon, their model is $700 full retail.  However according to AT&T, their model is a ridiculous $810 full retail.  Not sure what the official Samsung pricing is for an unlocked version of the Galaxy Note 3.

The pricing by the carriers is really weird.  According to Verizon, their model is $700 full retail.  However according to AT&T, their model is a ridiculous $810 full retail.  Not sure what the official Samsung pricing is for an unlocked version of the Galaxy Note 3.

You sure? I'm seeing:

$724.99 AT&T

$699.99 Verizon

Wonder why the strange price points.