Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

You are wrong about TD-LTE. Every Sprint site will be getting TD-LTE at some point in the future. Sprint has said this in their Q2 conference call. All 39000 Sprint sites and all Clearwire sites plus more sites will be getting TD-LTE. I don't know when it will come to Ann Arbor, MI but the fact is that it will come at some point.

I'm not saying it will never come just not soon. We got pasted over for WiMax even while towns in the UP got it.

I also think the usefulness of the 2600 frequency (or any frequency above the 2100s) won't be there until hetnets take off and local ordinances change to make installing very small devices like that worthwhile to install with some kind of simple registration or allowing on any willing location if they're below a certain size.

By then I might have sold the Note 3 towards buying the Note 4 retail.

I saw that yesterday -- also saw a few threads involving those same characters on the sprint message boards as well.  To have someone claiming to have inside knowledge that the Note 3 will indeed end up tri-band is intriguing and something to keep an eye on, but I still have my doubts...  The point of the 500 being pushed through the FCC only to then have the 520 push through WITH tri-band is also something to hold up hope for.  We will see.

Not a huge stretch of the imagination since HTC is reported to do firmware updates and enable other bands.

Not a huge stretch of the imagination since HTC is reported to do firmware updates and enable other bands.

Only problem with that is ... I can't imagine why the bands would be "in" the phone but not "activated".  When this phone was submitted to the FCC it was well after all three bands were in place (if the band 41 had JUST been approved this week but the phone was submitted last month, then I could see the enabling of a band)...

Only problem with that is ... I can't imagine why the bands would be "in" the phone but not "activated".  When this phone was submitted to the FCC it was well after all three bands were in place (if the band 41 had JUST been approved this week but the phone was submitted last month, then I could see the enabling of a band)...

Plus it would need a class II permissive change and be re-certified by the FCC.

• Like 1

Is it hard to get recertification from the fcc? I remember the nexus 4 wasn't cleared to use lte but it was there and working. Google/Lg never recertified.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

But they also blocked its use via an OTA. You have to not accept the OTA and manually force the device to use LTE. And then you have to manually force it again every time you reboot. And you cannot use voice while your using it. So it's there in a limited way for some few die hard wireless enthusiasts. But most Nexus 4 owners never get to use LTE. All because it wasnt recertified to run LTE.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

But they also blocked its use via an OTA. You have to not accept the OTA and manually force the device to use LTE. And then you have to manually force it again every time you reboot. And you cannot use voice while your using it. So it's there in a limited way for some few die hard wireless enthusiasts. But most Nexus 4 owners never get to use LTE. All because it wasnt recertified to run LTE.

Which begs the question, Why didn't they just try to get recertification? Is the process difficult or expensive in anyway. Or was it a technical thing that wasn't worth tweaking the software to get it to work better. Seemed a little strange to neuter it. Didn't seem like the Google way.

Which begs the question, Why didn't they just try to get recertification? Is the process difficult or expensive in anyway. Or was it a technical thing that wasn't worth tweaking the software to get it to work better. Seemed a little strange to neuter it. Didn't seem like the Google way.

It's not hard, but it does take time. Everything takes time with the FCC. I think that Google and LG decided not to have it recertified on purpose. They never intended for the Nexus 4 to use LTE.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Could it also be possible that Sprint not announcing the preorder of the Note 3 is indicative of them telling Samsung to make a triband version of the Note? For instance, Sprint got word of a single band Note 3, doesn't like the idea, and is telling Samsung to create a new version with all bands. Could this scenario be possible? It bugs me how the Sprint Note 3 hasn't been further announced other than the fact that Sprint will have it.

Could it also be possible that Sprint not announcing the preorder of the Note 3 is indicative of them telling Samsung to make a triband version of the Note? For instance, Sprint got word of a single band Note 3, doesn't like the idea, and is telling Samsung to create a new version with all bands. Could this scenario be possible? It bugs me how the Sprint Note 3 hasn't been further announced other than the fact that Sprint will have it.

That is what has been in the back of my head.  Would be my luck, as we are pretty set now on the wife getting an iPhone and me getting her S4 lol...

Probably not the case though.

I am sure that these sort of things are decided upon in the beginning stages of development.  

I'd love nothing more than to believe we are somehow getting a tri-band Note 3, but I see the chances as slim to nil. Most Sprint customers won't know a tri-band Note 3 from borscht.

I would imagine sprint tells them what they want I highly doubt Samsung just says here is your variant of the note 3. In the end sprint is a Samsung customer so if we end up with a mono band note 3 I would say blame goes to sprint for accepting the product. Just my perspective.

Sent from my rooted G Note 2 Using TapaTalk 4 Beta

I use LTE on my nexus 4 with the latest updates all the time.  You can use the hacked together radios on XDA, it works great - voice works without issue.  Just set to GSM/LTE and it is up and going.  Just flash in recovery and you are good to go.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2087227

Unofficial hybrid radios

See this thread for discussion/information on hybrid radios.

Note: these are not stock radios.

morrislee has done some great work: he replaced the core modem components in 0.84 with those from 0.33 and 0.27. See his posts here and here. This enables us to use LTE and yet have all the newer features (power management, audio on T-Mobile, etc.) from the newer radios.

Hybrid 0.33/0.84

Hybrid 0.27/0.84

• Like 1

I use LTE on my nexus 4 with the latest updates all the time. You can use the hacked together radios on XDA, it works great - voice works without issue. Just set to GSM/LTE and it is up and going. Just flash in recovery and you are good to go.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2087227

Unofficial hybrid radios

See this thread for discussion/information on hybrid radios.

Note: these are not stock radios.

morrislee has done some great work: he replaced the core modem components in 0.84 with those from 0.33 and 0.27. See his posts here and here. This enables us to use LTE and yet have all the newer features (power management, audio on T-Mobile, etc.) from the newer radios.

Hybrid 0.33/0.84

Hybrid 0.27/0.84

Will it stay in GSM/LTE? Mine defaults back to WCDMA preferred every time it boots up.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

Will it stay in GSM/LTE? Mine defaults back to WCDMA preferred every time it boots up.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

No, it reverts to WCDMA preferred.  I am sure there is a rom out there that changes the default.

I only reboot my phone every week or two, so it doesn't bother me.

Outside of that, the radio works flawlessly.  What is odd, is I pick up some odd radio feedback when listening with headphones when LTE is on.  When I am on WCDMA, no line noise.  I can typically adjust the headphones cord and plug angle and it goes away.  It always makes me wonder if that was the reason they decided not to enable LTE, lol.

I would imagine sprint tells them what they want I highly doubt Samsung just says here is your variant of the note 3. In the end sprint is a Samsung customer so if we end up with a mono band note 3 I would say blame goes to sprint for accepting the product. Just my perspective.

Sent from my rooted G Note 2 Using TapaTalk 4 Beta

I don't think this is a blame anyone type of scenario as if either samsung or sprint made a mistake.  I am sure sprint knew what the deal was from the get go and for whatever reason it wasn't able to be included.  At the end of the day its not going to make a difference in sales numbers being that the number of us that are upset that it won't be tri-band are in the extreme minority compared to overall customers. 

One of the guys over there seems convinced that he knows an inside source that had Samsung reps told his source that the Note 3 will be triband LTE and even convinced himself that the FCC docs filed under SM-N900P are what is known as an ES (engineering sample).  He believes that the final FCC docs for the Sprint variant have not been filed yet because the FCC ID does not start with a "SPH" like what Samsung phones have traditionally started with and that those final FCC docs for the Sprint variant will contain triband LTE support under some SPH number.  I see what he is trying to say since the Sprint Galaxy Note 2 model number was SPH-L900.  

I don't really believe what he is saying but does that make any sense though?  Do OEMs like Samsung ever file FCC documents for an engineering sample?   It sounds too fishy to me especially if no other carriers are doing the same thing.

You can tell him that he does not know what he is talking about.  The SM-N900P model number is correct, and the authorization is not for engineering samples.  As I was gathering data from the FCC OET filing again today, I noticed this:

i3555e.png

AJ

• Like 1

You can tell him that he does not know what he is talking about.  The SM-N900P model number is correct, and the authorization is not for engineering samples.  As I was gathering data from the FCC OET filing again today, I noticed this:

i3555e.png

AJ

The device is pre-production as of the initial tests in July, I know many have given up hope but is there any real chance we could see a re certification of the Sprint variant with the inclusion of 2 more bands?  From an efficiency standpoint once a device has passed certification from the FCC it would be finalized as the production model. 

-Will

The device is pre-production as of the initial tests in July, I know many have given up hope but is there any real chance we could see a re certification of the Sprint variant with the inclusion of 2 more bands?  From an efficiency standpoint once a device has passed certification from the FCC it would be finalized as the production model. 

-Will

Well if Sprint does want the Note 3 to be recertified it better do it soon before its released.  I would be mad if it did get recertified at some later point say December or Jan 2014 after I have used my upgrade.

-Will

The Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, and Galaxy S4 all came through the same authorization lab as pre production samples, not production or engineering samples.  We did not see any significant changes from their FCC OET filing dates to their release dates.  Do not expect any different with the Galaxy Note 3.

Plus, you have to understand that these FCC OET filings include an attestation statement.  In fact, here is a direct quote from the Galaxy Note 3 filing's cover letter:

"We, Samsung Electronics, hereby declare the samples evaluated in this application are equivalent to production samples."

AJ

• Like 1

Well if Sprint does want the Note 3 to be recertified it better do it soon before its released.  I would be mad if it did get recertified at some later point say December or Jan 2014 after I have used my upgrade.

If the tri band hardware is not included, it will never be re certified as such via a Class II Permissive Change.

AJ