Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

Just got done playing with the Note 3 at my work. Ask any questions and I can try to answer.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

Uh oh... this pretty much kills any chance of Sprint reworking the phone to include triband LTE capabilities if a floor model is already sent to Sprint stores and 3rd party affiliates.

How is the performance of the Note 3 in terms of its zippyness and your impression on the Air Command features?

Just got done playing with the Note 3 at my work. Ask any questions and I can try to answer.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

I have a S3 currently, could you tell how the LTE signal was on the Note 3 versus your S4? Do you or anyone by extension know how the Note 3 LTE signal pick-up/performance would compare to the S3?

Figure if we can't get 800 LTE maybe the 1900 LTE pickup would be a little better than our current phones?

Uh oh... this pretty much kills any chance of Sprint reworking the phone to include triband LTE capabilities if a floor model is already sent to Sprint stores and 3rd party affiliates.

How is the performance of the Note 3 in terms of its zippyness and your impression on the Air Command features?

I guess I should have said our Samsung Reps came in, I work at Best Buy. No floor model they had one.

I guess I should have said our Samsung Reps came in, I work at Best Buy. No floor model they had one.

Oh so its not necessarily the Sprint model correct?

I have a S3 currently, could you tell how the LTE signal was on the Note 3 versus your S4? Do you or anyone by extension know how the Note 3 LTE signal pick-up/performance would compare to the S3?

Figure if we can't get 800 LTE maybe the 1900 LTE pickup would be a little better than our current phones?

I didn't have time to do a comparison but here is a article about the new lte chips in the phone. http://gigaom.com/2013/09/05/thanks-to-a-new-chip-the-galaxy-note-3s-huge-screen-wont-kill-its-battery/

I saw that yesterday -- also saw a few threads involving those same characters on the sprint message boards as well.  To have someone claiming to have inside knowledge that the Note 3 will indeed end up tri-band is intriguing and something to keep an eye on, but I still have my doubts...  The point of the 500 being pushed through the FCC only to then have the 520 push through WITH tri-band is also something to hold up hope for.  We will see.

Ha, "rukin1" has moved over to XDA and is getting roasted for his "lol" grammar there, too.

AJ

• Like 7

I saw that yesterday -- also saw a few threads involving those same characters on the sprint message boards as well. To have someone claiming to have inside knowledge that the Note 3 will indeed end up tri-band is intriguing and something to keep an eye on, but I still have my doubts... The point of the 500 being pushed through the FCC only to then have the 520 push through WITH tri-band is also something to hold up hope for. We will see.

The SPH-L500 was the Sprint modified version of the GS3 mini. More than likely Sprint canceled it due to its late arrival. The SPH-L520 (GS4 mini) being tri-band was a more likely option as it would be perfect to get into consumers hands quicker, and took less planning than the Note 3. I expect it to be $99.99 after $50 MIR on contract.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I just can't believe that the Note 3 couldn't have at minimum been dual band?! I mean the iPhone 5S has been in development since last summer at least so the largest phone manufacturer and parts supplier in the world couldn't have figured something out? This totally killed my interest in the Note 3. Samsung lost 2 Note 3 sales because of this, unless it really does change which I also doubt. I could have dealt with it being dual band 800/1900 as I probably won't ever be in range of the tiny 2.5/2.6 footprint to ever get that type of signal.

5th

I just can't believe that the Note 3 couldn't have at minimum been dual band?! I mean the iPhone 5S has been in development since last summer at least so the largest phone manufacturer and parts supplier in the world couldn't have figured something out? This totally killed my interest in the Note 3. Samsung lost 2 Note 3 sales because of this, unless it really does change which I also doubt. I could have dealt with it being dual band 800/1900 as I probably won't ever be in range of the tiny 2.5/2.6 footprint to ever get that type of signal.

5th

Careful with the term "ever" -- as the 2600 band will be placed on ALL sites in the next few years... so even someone rural like myself will be able to take advance of it at some point.  Otherwise, yeah --- the disappointment is pretty widespread, I think.

Careful with the term "ever" -- as the 2600 band will be placed on ALL sites in the next few years... so even someone rural like myself will be able to take advance of it at some point. Otherwise, yeah --- the disappointment is pretty widespread, I think.

One must be close to the site to get 2600, I am barely within reach of 1900 sites in most places so until they roll out more sites here I don't have any 2600 to look forward to either. Maybe in a year or more that will change.

• Like 1

Came here for an update on the next phone I was planning to buy. Leaving here questioning if I will ever buy a Samsung phone again. Disgusting the S4 mini will have support that the latest flagship won't.

Someone screwed up here. Plain and simple. A lack of 800 LTE alone is a disgusting slap in the face to consumers, and will hurt sprint and Samsung. Wait until those iPhone people have LTE inside buildings while the Note 3 people don't.

This has to be a joke.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I saw that yesterday -- also saw a few threads involving those same characters on the sprint message boards as well.  To have someone claiming to have inside knowledge that the Note 3 will indeed end up tri-band is intriguing and something to keep an eye on, but I still have my doubts...  The point of the 500 being pushed through the FCC only to then have the 520 push through WITH tri-band is also something to hold up hope for.  We will see.

Ha, "rukin1" has moved over to XDA and is getting roasted for his "lol" grammar there, too.

AJ

One of the guys over there seems convinced that he knows an inside source that had Samsung reps told his source that the Note 3 will be triband LTE and even convinced himself that the FCC docs filed under SM-N900P are what is known as an ES (engineering sample).  He believes that the final FCC docs for the Sprint variant have not been filed yet because the FCC ID does not start with a "SPH" like what Samsung phones have traditionally started with and that those final FCC docs for the Sprint variant will contain triband LTE support under some SPH number.  I see what he is trying to say since the Sprint Galaxy Note 2 model number was SPH-L900.  

I don't really believe what he is saying but does that make any sense though?  Do OEMs like Samsung ever file FCC documents for an engineering sample?   It sounds too fishy to me especially if no other carriers are doing the same thing.

• Like 1

One of the guys over there seems convinced that he knows an inside source that had Samsung reps told his source that the Note 3 will be triband LTE and even convinced himself that the FCC docs filed under SM-N900P are what is known as an ES (engineering sample).  He believes that the final FCC docs for the Sprint variant have not been filed yet because the FCC ID does not start with a "SPH" like what Samsung phones have traditionally started with and that those final FCC docs for the Sprint variant will contain triband LTE support under some SPH number.  I see what he is trying to say since the Sprint Galaxy Note 2 model number was SPH-L900.  

I don't really believe what he is saying but does that make any sense though?  Do OEMs like Samsung ever file FCC documents for an engineering sample?   It sounds too fishy to me especially if no other carriers are doing the same thing.

It also seems way too late to mess with engineering samples at this point. The only thing that gives me hope is Sprint hasn't opened a preorder or talked about a release date yet. Maybe we will get a late release so they can finish throwing together a triband version.

Came here for an update on the next phone I was planning to buy. Leaving here questioning if I will ever buy a Samsung phone again. Disgusting the S4 mini will have support that the latest flagship won't.

Someone screwed up here. Plain and simple. A lack of 800 LTE alone is a disgusting slap in the face to consumers, and will hurt sprint and Samsung. Wait until those iPhone people have LTE inside buildings while the Note 3 people don't.

This has to be a joke.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I think u have to be a bit crazy to not consider Samsung ever again especially given their great reputation on making great smartphones. Sprint has said that all LTE phones from 2014+ will be triband LTE so the GS5 and Note 4 should be triband LTE. Right now as in 2H2013 we are in the transition period from Sprint's POV that can begin selling triband LTE devices.  I mean it sucks that the Note 3 will be single band LTE and a huge mistake to include it in only the midrange LTE devices in the GS4 mini and Galaxy Mega 6.3 but for whatever reason it is, it happened.

I would suggest looking at alternative phones if you want triband LTE like the LG G2, Nexus 5 or maybe the HTC One Max if you want a phablet type of device.  Another option if you are not desperate to upgrade right now is wait until next year when LTE phones should all be triband.

It also seems way too late to mess with engineering samples at this point. The only thing that gives me hope is Sprint hasn't opened a preorder or talked about a release date yet. Maybe we will get a late release so they can finish throwing together a triband version.

Well since the LG G2 is releasing so late in the game (rumored to be Oct 25th), if by some reason there is a miracle that they do rework the Note 3 to be a triband version I would be up for it and all is forgiven.  But considering how much work needs to get done and Sprint wanting to not enter the market too late with the Note 3, the chance of that happening is pretty slim.

• Like 1

I don't support companies that hurt the consumer in ways the average consumer can't understand. I expect a level of service to appease even the most tech unsavy customers. Samsung has done this. Until now.

Short changing people on LTE 800 is bad business, for both Sprint and Samsung. You will have a very different, much worse level of LTE coverage, well before your contract is up.

Samsung missed the ball here, and they did it so they can sell the model sooner. If it wasn't to sell the model sooner, and it was a cost thing, even more shame on them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I'm rather disappointed but still considering it. I'm in the Ann Arbor, MI area which means the Canadian IBEZ seems to prevent them even doing CDMA 800 band, they'll probably be into double digits on the note's before LTE on that band here if ever. Also, for some reason we never got WiMax (even though two nearby small towns did plus Lansing), so I'm guessing we'll be hosed on TD-LTE too.

No.  Engineering samples and prototypes are an inevitable part of the development process, but my understanding is that they do not pass through the FCC OET.  I think FCC OET authorization is required only for those devices that will be made available for sale.  If engineering samples and prototypes required FCC OET authorization, then we would already know about them before Google employees are spotted in videos with them, Apple employees leave them in bars, etc.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm rather disappointed but still considering it. I'm in the Ann Arbor, MI area which means the Canadian IBEZ seems to prevent them even doing CDMA 800 band, they'll probably be into double digits on the note's before LTE on that band here if ever. Also, for some reason we never got WiMax (even though two nearby small towns did plus Lansing), so I'm guessing we'll be hosed on TD-LTE too.

You are wrong about TD-LTE.  Every Sprint site will be getting TD-LTE at some point in the future.  Sprint has said this in their Q2 conference call.  All 39000 Sprint sites and all Clearwire sites plus more sites will be getting TD-LTE.  I don't know when it will come to Ann Arbor, MI but the fact is that it will come at some point.