Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

Here it is -- the long awaited article. Read on, though I am not sure that you will enjoy.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-353-for-sprints-samsung-galaxy-note-3-one-is-the-loneliest-number/

AJ

Thanks for the great writeup. I do travel internationally about once a year, so this will be minorly useful, though I don't think it is better than tri-band. Oh wells.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Please excuse my ignorance but what I'd like to know is if tri-band phones will get me a better signal to use the phone features. I hardly ever use over 500MB of data a month so fast data is ok but am mostly concerned that I have to use an Airave at home just to make calls. What radios do calls use; LTE, EVDO, etc.

Thx!

It is rather disheartening that the R4 model can support quad band LTE and SVLTE but we are stuck with single band. I honestly don't even care that much about SVLTE. A triband Note 3 just would have been uber epic.

Please excuse my ignorance but what I'd like to know is if tri-band phones will get me a better signal to use the phone features. I hardly ever use over 500MB of data a month so fast data is ok but am mostly concerned that I have to use an Airave at home just to make calls. What radios do calls use; LTE, EVDO, etc.

Thx!

Sprint uses 800 and 1900 MHz frequencies for voice.  If voice is more of a concern over data then a single band LTE vs. triband LTE phone will not make a difference since both the single band LTE and triband LTE phones each have the 800 and 1900 MHz frequencies for voice support.  So for voice either single band or triband is fine.  800 MHz frequency will give you better coverage and building penetration coverage.  Sprint is in the process of deploying its CDMA 800 network for voice so very soon you will get better voice reception at your house so you won't need an Airave anymore.

However I would still strongly advise you to get a triband LTE phone over a single band LTE phone since that would future proof your phone for data for the next 2 years.  You might not use a lot of data now but in the future you may so its better to have the capability built into the phone.  LTE 800 and LTE 2600 are going to be launched soon in Phoenix so I still strongly advise you to pick up a triband LTE phone.

Thank you sir! Parts of Phoenix/Chandler already get LTE but I do not see any improvements for voice signal. I still get very low signal levels and dropped calls where my friend next to me on an Iphone 5 can get +- 20/6 Mbps running a speed test. Does this mean CDMA 800 for voice may still not be turned on? I still have my Galaxy II but contemplating switching providers. My Airave just died and now I have to use Groove IP to do wifi calls since voice signal is that bad in my home.

Thx!

Thank you sir! Parts of Phoenix/Chandler already get LTE but I do not see any improvements for voice signal. I still get very low signal levels and dropped calls where my friend next to me on an Iphone 5 can get +- 20/6 Mbps running a speed test. Does this mean CDMA 800 for voice may still not be turned on? I still have my Galaxy II but contemplating switching providers. My Airave just died and now I have to use Groove IP to do wifi calls since voice signal is that bad in my home.

Thx!

Correct, CDMA 800 (for voice/text), nor LTE 800, have yet launched in PHX.  That is what you need for better coverage and in-building signal. They are both coming in the very near future, though. So, as ericabbs has said, I agree, it's best to get a (soon to be released) tri-band phone as your next device. LG G2, Nexus, and Samsung Galaxy Mega are all tri-band and due out anytime. 

Thx!

This is because Sprint has not deployed any CDMA 800 in Phoenix yet.  If you check out the NV complete maps in the Sponsor section for Phoenix, you do not see any green dots which indicate that CDMA 800 has been deployed.  Just look for green dots to show up in areas around you and that will give you a strong indication that voice signal should be improved in that area.  The LTE turning up live in some sites doesn't necessarily mean the CDMA signal is strong enough to reach your house.  The improvement of using RRUs right next to the panels gives a slight improvement in signal performance but in this case the CDMA signal improvement may not be enough  to reach your house.

if you want to see a great example of a lot of sites upgraded to CDMA 800, take a look at the NV complete maps for Chicago.  You can even visit the Chicago market thread and ask folks in there how their voice signal has improved tremendously because of CDMA 800.

Sorry but forgot to mention that I'm only posting here because I'm interested in the Note 3 over any phone and sucks not to have tri-band but more important to have decent voice signal.

Like I said if you do not care about data that much and you just want strong voice capability, features of user experience of the Note 3 series, then the Note 3 is fine.  The Note 3 will have the improved CDMA 800 antennas built inside the phone so when Phoenix lights up with CDMA 800, the Note 3 can take advantage of it.

Besides Sprint is begging you to buy the Note 3 since a lot of folks in here that were hardcore Note 3 buyers at one point including myself are venturing off into other phones because of the lack of triband LTE support.

Another user on Sprint's forums stated again via insider information that the Note 3 will be triband. I wish I could talk to these "insiders" directly and point them to the FCC docs for an explanation. Samsung wouldn't go to the trouble of getting a single band note 3 through the FCC if they are going to release it as triband.

Thanks for all the help !! As much as I dislike the idea of giving money to at&t (seriously, they have the deathstar as their logo, thats a hint) I c an console myself with Sprint NV being completed here in 2 years, or at least the permits might be completed. Much of the advice given would work wonderfully in other markets but unfortunately there are areas on island where you can only get vzw or at&t, and some areas only vzw. tmo and sprint (pre nv, I hope this will change) have coverage issues inbetween towns and in bays which makes them less attractive, tmo is great when you get a signal, sprint is less great but more signal and a much brighter future. NV is just dog slow here due to permits (something I can sometimes agree with, given the sma system but thats another thread).

I am somewhat curious (and resigned to the fact I probably won't ever know why) that both sprint and vzw have managed to cut corners with their devices or make them less attractive then they could be. vzw with their droid line I can understand, but sprint? 

Another user on Sprint's forums stated again via insider information that the Note 3 will be triband. I wish I could talk to these "insiders" directly and point them to the FCC docs for an explanation. Samsung wouldn't go to the trouble of getting a single band note 3 through the FCC if they are going to release it as triband.

really hope he's right.  i find it hard that sprint has not announced the phone and it's supposed to be released in 2 weeks on other carriers...

really hope he's right.  i find it hard that sprint has not announced the phone and it's supposed to be released in 2 weeks on other carriers...

For me, each day Sprint doesn't mention the device adds a small bit of hope for a late triband release. But I still feel like there's only a <3% chance of a triband variant turning up. It wouldn't make sense to put a single band Note through the FCC if there was a triband around the corner.

• Like 1

For me, each day Sprint doesn't mention the device adds a small bit of hope for a late triband release. But I still feel like there's only a <3% chance of a triband variant turning up. It wouldn't make sense to put a single band Note through the FCC if there was a triband around the corner.

I guess you as well is praying to the frequency fairy just like Terrell352 is for triband LTE on the Note 3.  Good luck.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the wrong information was submitted to the FCC, which is why Sprint is so quiet--in an attempt to get the situation fixed before announcing anything?

There is one possibility that I don't think anyone has mentioned;

That this single band note 3 is for virgin mobile.

OEMs do not generally manufacture separate variants for Virgin Mobile.  From an economy of scale standpoint, that does not make sense.  Instead, for Virgin Mobile, they may lockout certain capabilities via firmware.

AJ

• Like 2

There is one possibility that I don't think anyone has mentioned;

That this single band note 3 is for virgin mobile.

OEMs do not generally manufacture separate variants for Virgin Mobile. From an economy of scale standpoint, that does not make sense. Instead, for Virgin Mobile, they may lockout certain capabilities via firmware.

AJ

Also Virgin has never sold this high end of a phone at launch. They didn't get the GS3 until after the GS4 was on the market.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1